Liverpool Football Club was officially founded on 3rd June 1892 by John Houlding.
The multi-million pound, worldwide brand of Liverpool F.C. hasn’t always been what it is today. In it’s very earliest form, Liverpool Football Club was actually St. Domingo’s Football Club.
The St. Domingo Methodist Church Sunday School was opened in the May of 1870. 8 years later, the football team using the name St. Domingo was playing it’s first game in the south-east corner of Stanley Park. St Domingo’s quickly grew and established themselves a local reputation, enabling them to recruit players from outside of their parish. In November 1879, after a meeting of 6 men in the Queens Head Hotel in Village Street, off Everton Road, a name change was decided. St. Domingo’s FC would now officially be known as Everton Football Club.
On 27 September 1884, the first ever game at Anfield was played. The site of Anfield was originally owned by John Houlding (right) and the Orrell brothers. In the match, the opponents were Earlestown and Everton ran out 5-0 winners.
In 1888 a Football League was proposed. On 17 April 1888, along with 10 other teams, Everton became a founding member of the Football League.
4 years later, Liverpool Football Club was born. After a dispute over rent resulted in Everton moving to Goodison Park, John Houlding was left with an empty stadium and no team to play there. As a result, he founded Liverpool F.C.
The official split between Houlding and Everton took place on the 12 March 1892. 3 days later Liverpool F.C. was formed. However, it was not until 3rd June 1892 that the name Liverpool Football Club and Athletic Grounds Ltd was formally recognised by the authorities.
From the humble beginnings of St. Domingo’s to this day, the club has never strayed far from its home in Stanley Park. Despite dividing families and friends, Liverpool and Everton seem inseparable. As the rivalry increased through the 80’s and the intense derby days of the 00’s, there is the still the same spirit that once the game is over and the tensions have cooled, you can still go down to The Sandon, which Houlding once owned, and discuss the match.