KopTalk.com
We have won the CL and pushed Man City in the Prem but we can't rest on our laurels, who do we need to sign and release to compete again next season.

Incomings

We only need 3 players.

De Ligt, VVD needs a top quality partner, this guy is it. Lovren is not up to the job, Gomez is still young and learning.

Midfield - We need to replace Coutinho and the ideal player to replace him is Coutinho, get him back for 50million from Barca, would not need time to settle, mates with Firmino and players in our squad, would fit right back in.

Striker Timo Werner. We have times when Firmino and Salah are not firing, we need another option. Origi is not it.

Outgoings

Moreno and Sturridge to leave on free.

Sell Migs, Clyne, Markovic, Lallana, Lovren.
Posted By: WNP Re: Who needs to come in & to in the summer? - 02/06/19 08:04 AM
Out: Sturridge, Lallana, Moreno, Lovren if we sign another CB, Clyne, Markovic, probably Grujic though I wouldn�t mind him as a squad player.

In: a striker, either an attacking mid to replace Coutinho, or a deep lying play make like Alonso was for us to offer something a bit different to our current midfielders

I�d probably be happy with just two signings as long as they we good quality. Arguably we need more depth at full back though.
Sturridge and Moreno are out of contract and haven't been offered a new one. They're gone.
Markovic signed for Fulham in January. He's gone.
Grujic is heading back to Germany on loan.
Posted By: WNP Re: Who needs to come in & to in the summer? - 02/06/19 11:02 AM
I�d prefer to see Grujic on loan in the PL if we�re going to loan him out. See if he can cut it in this league. If not sell him.

Thinking about it, Kai Havertz would be a great signing for us. Wouldn�t come cheap though. Him and say Werner would be a fantastic summer for us
We are in a great position to attract & bring in top players after the CL win, so we should use that profile now and go for it, we only need a few key players, I'd like us to go for Ousmane Demb�l� from Barca, or test City for Sane, they would fit our attack well.

I would also go for Madisson at Leicester, he looks really good.

I'd like De Ligt, but I don't see Klopp going for him as we have Gomez and Klopp won't want to block him, we also have Matip who has been immense. Lovren is the one we should sell to bring in De Ligt, so it depends if we sell him, I doubt he will want to go and Klopp seems to love him, we need a player who is more reliable and available, he's always out with things like a runny nose????
i'd sell Salah for big bucks.
Originally Posted By ecnirp98
We are in a great position to attract & bring in top players after the CL win, so we should use that profile now and go for it, we only need a few key players, I'd like us to go for Ousmane Demb�l� from Barca, or test City for Sane, they would fit our attack well.

I would also go for Madisson at Leicester, he looks really good.

I'd like De Ligt, but I don't see Klopp going for him as we have Gomez and Klopp won't want to block him, we also have Matip who has been immense. Lovren is the one we should sell to bring in De Ligt, so it depends if we sell him, I doubt he will want to go and Klopp seems to love him, we need a player who is more reliable and available, he's always out with things like a runny nose????

City allegedly had a �70m bid from Bayern Munich for Sane and turned it down. I think �70m for a player who doesn't start every week is the max they could hope for. But Bayern are in need of a player or two with Ribery and Robben gone.

Sane is good but his decision making is poor. I wouldn't take any of the City players. We play different football. They would not strengthen a rival anyway. That's the way it should be. Wouldn't pay over the odds for anyone now. Bayern might though because the lad will want first team and international football.
Posted By: WNP Re: Who needs to come in & to in the summer? - 02/06/19 02:54 PM
I�d take Bernardo in a heart beat. Quality player and would fit in with our style. That said, there�s no way they�d sell him, especially to us.

Sane would be a good option for us off the bench, but again city wouldn�t sell to us and there�s better value out there
Sounds like the Antoine Griezmann to Barca move is stalling, he'd be a great addition for us, scores goals, lots of experience, would really fit into how we play.
Sounds like the Antoine Griezmann to Barca move is stalling, he'd be a great addition for us, scores goals, lots of experience, would really fit into how we play.

Too old for our policy, if he doesn't go to Barca, he'll probably end up at PSG mainly because United not in CL, else he would have gone there.
Originally Posted By TiredReds

Too old for our policy, if he doesn't go to Barca, he'll probably end up at PSG mainly because United not in CL, else he would have gone there.

I agree he doesn't fit our policy, but sometimes you need to break the mould, if we sign him and win the PL with his goals next season, it's great business, abit like when Utd bought RVN and won the PL straight after as he scored the goals.

I agree he doesn't fit our policy, but sometimes you need to break the mould, if we sign him and win the PL with his goals next season, it's great business, abit like when Utd bought RVN and won the PL straight after as he scored the goals.

What I meant is we won't sign him because of our policy, but he'll definitely make us better, he is better than Firmino.

What I meant is we won't sign him because of our policy, but he'll definitely make us better, he is better than Firmino.

Not sure he's better than Firmino, Griezman is more of a striker, where Firmino leads the line and links play, he could certainly play in any combination of the front 3, which is what we need.

I agree, I doubt we would sign him due to his age/cost, but I think we need 1 final piece of quality up front to win the PL.
Maybe test Tottenham's resolve with a bid for Son, he'd be a really good player for us, he's the one I feared last night.
Maybe test Tottenham's resolve with a bid for Son, he'd be a really good player for us, he's the one I feared last night.

Yep he is the one that would fit with his work rate and he is quick too. He would cost around �50m to �60m. He was almost the one to dribble past VVD until the big man stuck a leg out and put it out for a corner. They would not sell to us, he is well paid and on a long contract. They are as likely to part with him as we would any of our front 3.
out:
sturridge - klopp doesnt really trust him, also out of contract
moreno
mignolet -been professional as backup, will want to play. we can get a decent backup out there
Clyne - needs to play
Lallana - best days behind him, Klopp prefers others to him now
Grujic - still young but probably at an age where he needs to be playing regularly now, probably a loan out again to Hertha Berlin, if not we should get 20m or so for him
Originally Posted By SSO

Yep he is the one that would fit with his work rate and he is quick too. He would cost around �50m to �60m. He was almost the one to dribble past VVD until the big man stuck a leg out and put it out for a corner. They would not sell to us, he is well paid and on a long contract. They are as likely to part with him as we would any of our front 3.

Yeah, that's why i said to test their resolve with a bid, I don't expect we could get him, but if the player wants to leave, clubs let them go now. We are challenging for PL and just won the CL, so that may tempt him, Tottenham are at a crossroads, a few players could leave and Poch is linked to all the big jobs, Tottenham will have to spend to keep the players and Poch.
Posted By: paul66 Re: Who needs to come in & to in the summer? - 02/06/19 09:49 PM
Son would be perfect. But not a hope in hell they would sell to us.
luka jovic please

WILL BE THE BEST STRIKER ON THE WORLD
Originally Posted By *** Suso ***
luka jovic please

Is he not on his way to Real? I have watched him only once against Chelsea in the EL semi final and didn't look that great. In fact he was nowhere near Mbape who will be the best striker/forward in the world.
Posted By: EMP Re: Who needs to come in & to in the summer? - 03/06/19 10:21 AM
Do we stick with go go go midfield or try cities pass pass pass midfield.. i reckon we stick with go go but keita fabino and maybe a fekir could do a bit of both.
luka jovic please

Yes i think Real already signed him or are close.
Posted By: WNP Re: Who needs to come in & to in the summer? - 03/06/19 02:06 PM
Rumours going around about Salah asking to leave.

If that's true, would you let him go?

If he really wants to go and we got a massive offer (�140m etc.) I'd be tempted to let him go, and splash the cash on Sancho.

Obviously I'd prefer to keep him, and don't actually believe he wants to leave, but if his heart was set on leaving then keeping him could damage team spirit.
Depends who Salah wants to join.
if he wants to join Barca, then 80million plus Coutinho and Dembelle would be acceptable.

If Real Madrid then 120million plus Bale would be acceptable.

I don't think he wants to or will leave though.
Originally Posted By Welsh_Wizard
if he wants to join Barca, then 80million plus Coutinho and Dembelle would be acceptable.

I doubt if he wants to leave. Just papers bull$hitting about as usual. Love your player plus cash demands so I will chip in with �30m plus Mbappe if he goes to PSG.

Depending on how good Wilson is/can be in the next 12 month, I would like Bale+100m for Salah
Don't want Bale. Overpaid sicknote. We have enough of that, thanks. Would much rather Ascensio or Vinicious.
Posted By: WNP Re: Who needs to come in & to in the summer? - 03/06/19 03:49 PM
I wouldn't want Bale, too old and injury prone, plus he'd want massive wages. It's the sort of signing I expect Man U to make.

Cash only for me, there isn't anyone at Real I'd really want.

If I was really in Football Manager mode:

�150m in cash, sell Grujic for �20m, then buy Sancho for �100m and Kai Havertz for �70m. Net spend nil.

Sell the rest of the deadwood (including Lovren) for around �50m and buy De Ligt for 80m. Net spend of �30m and we'd have 3 of the best young players around.
Posted By: Pickles Re: Who needs to come in & to in the summer? - 03/06/19 04:45 PM
I think FSG's next agenda is going to be extending the stadium after seeing the victory parade. They were blown away by just how many folks came out to congratulate the team. I don't see us spending too much, maybe what we recoup from selling players like Mignolet, Lallana, Lovren will go on 2 or 3 new players.
Why are we even talking about selling Salah? We should all want to keep our best players and build around them.
Absolutely, selling. Salah shouldn't even be a topic of conversation, it should be a no no, and move on. The only topic of conversation should be strengthening the first and second eleven, if we are serious about stopping City And winning the Pl as well as putting in another CL challenge.
Originally Posted By Hercules/AF 58
Absolutely, selling. Salah shouldn't even be a topic of conversation, it should be a no no, and move on. The only topic of conversation should be strengthening the first and second eleven, if we are serious about stopping City And winning the Pl as well as putting in another CL challenge.

Selling is not a problem, look at the Coutinho sale, not reinvesting wisely is.
I still have a nagging feeling FSG will not invest this summer, no doubt with winning the CL and finishing 2nd they will believe the job is done.

I never trust Americans.
What, not even for Cech and Lavezzi?
i'd sell Salah.been saying it for ages.his agent has been looking for a move for a while.he thinks he is bigger than the club.i dont rate him any where near as much as many of you.i dont think he's one of our better players and if we can get good money for him before his form dips then i would definately take it.
Originally Posted By kernowred
i'd sell Salah.been saying it for ages.his agent has been looking for a move for a while.he thinks he is bigger than the club.i dont rate him any where near as much as many of you.i dont think he's one of our better players and if we can get good money for him before his form dips then i would definately take it.

Yeah every agent wants his cut and you get the feeling his agent will be feeling he has missed the boat if he can't make �10m off his client.
Posted By: paul66 Re: Who needs to come in & to in the summer? - 03/06/19 07:35 PM
We won't be spending 70m-80m de Ligt when we have one of the best defensive talent in europe in Joe Gomez. We won't selling Salah, but I think we will buy in someone to challenge him and the other front two.

Bale won't be signing either.
Originally Posted By wilkij1975
Why are we even talking about selling Salah? We should all want to keep our best players and build around them.

Agreed, we have no reason to sell a 2-time golden boot winner, and he has no reason to want to leave. We just won the biggest prize in Europe, and he's universally adored here.

Yeah, I suppose when you look at it objectively, two golden boots in s row and a champions league medal are nothing much to shout about.

Each to their own I suppose.
Posted By: paul66 Re: Who needs to come in & to in the summer? - 03/06/19 07:48 PM
Originally Posted By redordead13

Agreed, we have no reason to sell a 2-time golden boot winner, and he has no reason to want to leave. We just won the biggest prize in Europe, and he's universally adored here.

He's had another great season and I would not sell him. But he needs backup as he has been terrible in games where he needed to be taken off
Originally Posted By SSO

Haven't we got something in the contract when we sold Coutinho to Barca that there is �100 million surcharge if they buy another player from us on 3 years, so if Salah is valued at �150 million, Barca have to pay �250 million!

I doubt if he wants to leave. Just papers bull$hitting about as usual. Love your player plus cash demands so I will chip in with �30m plus Mbappe if he goes to PSG.

Haven't we got something in the contract when we sold Coutinho to Barca that there is �100 million surcharge if they buy another player from us on 3 years, so if Salah is valued at �150 million, Barca have to pay �250 million!

I'm sorry, what? What reason do you have to believe his agent or he are angling for a move? The one time his agent has ever made a public comment was to rubbish a rumor to Madrid.

Firmino is my favorite of the 3, and I understand how some prefer Mane, but neither have matched the frankly bonkers numbers Salah has had the past 2 years in a red shirt. 71 goals and 26 assists in 2 years. Tell me, who can we sign to replace that? Back to back golden boots. A champions league medal. What else do you want from a forward? Anything more than that is Messi-Ronaldo tier.
Originally Posted By Pickles
I think FSG's next agenda is going to be extending the stadium after seeing the victory parade. They were blown away by just how many folks came out to congratulate the team. I don't see us spending too much, maybe what we recoup from selling players like Mignolet, Lallana, Lovren will go on 2 or 3 new players.

i would love it if we could make anfield bigger. AM hoping fsg give some money for that bloody train line and the we can make our stadium 60k plus

I'm sorry, what? What reason do you have to believe his agent or he are angling for a move? The one time his agent has ever made a public comment was to rubbish a rumor to Madrid.

Firmino is my favorite of the 3, and I understand how some prefer Mane, but neither have matched the frankly bonkers numbers Salah has had the past 2 years in a red shirt. 71 goals and 26 assists in 2 years. Tell me, who can we sign to replace that? Back to back golden boots. A champions league medal. What else do you want from a forward? Anything more than that is Messi-Ronaldo tier.

yes Salah has great scoring stats,half as good this season as they were last season. its more about his general play,he cant just be judged on his goals.the CL final for example,he got on the score sheet but he was crap for 90 mins.his control lets him down so many times his decision making is poor.his passing is weak and dont get me started on his corner taking ability.we have seen the best of Salah and he believes he should be playing for Real madrid because he has the impression that they are a bigger fish than LFC.he will be anohter player who will struggle after thinking that we are a stepping stone.So yes while his stock is high and before the Salah bubble bursts i would take as much money as we can get and build a better team just like we did when Couthino left.
Posted By: WNP Re: Who needs to come in & to in the summer? - 04/06/19 08:31 AM

yes Salah has great scoring stats,half as good this season as they were last season. its more about his general play,he cant just be judged on his goals.the CL final for example,he got on the score sheet but he was crap for 90 mins.his control lets him down so many times his decision making is poor.his passing is weak and dont get me started on his corner taking ability.we have seen the best of Salah and he believes he should be playing for Real madrid because he has the impression that they are a bigger fish than LFC.he will be anohter player who will struggle after thinking that we are a stepping stone.So yes while his stock is high and before the Salah bubble bursts i would take as much money as we can get and build a better team just like we did when Couthino left.

I kind of agree with this, just maybe not to the same extent as expressed above. I'm often underwhelmed by Salah's overall play, and his decision making in the final third can be very poor.

That said, he is still getting us a lot of goals, and I think having him on the pitch creates more space for others just based on his reputation.

I think Mane is the better player overall though.

That said, I'd only sell Salah if we got a great price and had a top quality replacement in the bag. But other than Sancho, I can't think (off the top of my head) of any top wingers that would be obtainable as a replacement (and even then Sancho is still a youngster).
Posted By: drome Re: Who needs to come in & to in the summer? - 04/06/19 08:47 AM
This season we will have, the prem, fa cup, league cup, world club and the champions league. With the style that klopp plays, serious energy is required. this will present an issue for us in terms of the quality of our back up.

We have a first team capable of beating any team in the world. However, our cover in certain areas isn't good enough.

if any of mane, salah or bobby are injured, the quality of the replacements seriously diminishes the frontline. We cannot reasonably expect players who were in for almost every game this season to get through next season without injury. it would be too risky.

the injuries to taa, gomez and matip this season, i believe, cost us the leauge. cover is going to be crucial.

1) i would like to see us buy ryan sessegnon. he's young and can fill in anywhere down the right side. can cover for robbo or mane. will only cost 30m. has loads of energy and i think klopp could really develop him.

2) I'd like to see us buy an attacking midfielder/false 9. someone who can pick a pass when the pressing isn't working. someone who can offer us something different and cover for bobby.

3) aside from that, cover for the gk and lets see how the yound lads coming in would do and i think we will be fine.

like others i'd like to see grujic being given some game time. I think we would be good cover for fabinho.

If he hadn't had the season he had last year, I don't think anyone would feel this way about his contribution now. He didn't have the sharpest 90 minutes, but neither did anyone: red or white shirts.

27 goals and 10 assists is a fantastic contribution, better than any season Hazard has ever had. He still is highly creative and deadly on the dribble. That outside of the boot assist at Bayern stands out as one example. Mid-season, he had a dry spell, and he was snatching at thingas to try and break his duck, but I don't understand people who say all he does is score goals. And that's not even mentioning the space he create for the other 3. Mane has had his best ever season, partially because of the space Salah has created for him.

And you have given me no evidence that he wants to go to Real or sees himself as bigger than LFC other than you say so. We don't need money. We have buckets of it from this year's league finish and CL winnings. If we want to continue winning things, we need to hold onto our best players.

If he hadn't had the season he had last year, I don't think anyone would feel this way about his contribution now. He didn't have the sharpest 90 minutes, but neither did anyone: red or white shirts.

27 goals and 10 assists is a fantastic contribution, better than any season Hazard has ever had. He still is highly creative and deadly on the dribble. That outside of the boot assist at Bayern stands out as one example. Mid-season, he had a dry spell, and he was snatching at thingas to try and break his duck, but I don't understand people who say all he does is score goals. And that's not even mentioning the space he create for the other 3. Mane has had his best ever season, partially because of the space Salah has created for him.

And you have given me no evidence that he wants to go to Real or sees himself as bigger than LFC other than you say so. We don't need money. We have buckets of it from this year's league finish and CL winnings. If we want to continue winning things, we need to hold onto our best players.

One thing though, I don't think he should take our penalties, doesn't look naturally clinical and usually goes for power.

One thing though, I don't think he should take our penalties, doesn't look naturally clinical and usually goes for power.

Fair enough. I'd have Milner, Firmino, Fabinho, and Henderson in line ahead of him for pens. Not terribly convincing, but he scored, so that's all that matters. After what happened to him last year, you can't blame him for wanting to take it.
I think we are now in a position where top players will want to play for us.

We have built a strong squad and a few top quality additions will keeps us ticking over nicely.

#Let's talk about six baby grin
my dream transfer window

sancho for 70m

Kieran Tierney 20m

timo wrener 45m

wan bisaka 45m

that would leave us with the best squad we have ever had and one that could truly rival city

ps jovic was my number one target but his gone to real frown
my dream transfer window

sancho for 70m

Kieran Tierney 20m

timo wrener 45m

wan bisaka 45m

that would leave us with the best squad we have ever had and one that could truly rival city

That would be good, but all the noises coming from the reporters closest to the clubs are saying no big signings this summer, which I think would be a big mistake, we had a great season, but we still finished behind City, so we need to overtake them, which means having a better squad.

Winning the CL, we have a great profile to attract the top players, we need to use that to bring top players in.
my dream transfer window

sancho for 70m

Kieran Tierney 20m

timo wrener 45m

wan bisaka 45m

That would be good, but all the noises coming from the reporters closest to the clubs are saying no big signings this summer, which I think would be a big mistake, we had a great season, but we still finished behind City, so we need to overtake them, which means having a better squad.

Winning the CL, we have a great profile to attract the top players, we need to use that to bring top players in.

Yeah I fully agree, we need to strengthen the squad quality wise. We have the money, we obviously have the need, so why not strengthen?
We need to keep an eye on who Southampton are buying, as we will probably want them in 2-3 years at 5 times the price!
Posted By: Snakeye Re: Who needs to come in & to in the summer? - 06/06/19 08:35 AM
We came second and easily got knocked out of cups, we need a better squad to compete on all fronts, so if we don't sign any players I would be disappointed.
Posted By: Pickles Re: Who needs to come in & to in the summer? - 06/06/19 08:53 AM
TBH I think it's great we are discussing if we will or won't sign particular players because it shows that the gullible clarity of recent previous transfer windows has been stopped. It hindered our progression in letting the world know who we were after, forcing up prices and having us involved in bidding wars.

I can safely say that I have never had such a calm, knowing outlook as I do now regarding Liverpool FC since the 80's.

Let Klopp and Edwards get on with it folks... we've just landed on Mars with a fe.cking great, big thud! Next stop in our Universe will be Jupiter, enjoy the ride!
I would still like Fekir.

Apparently it was his brother who "asked for something more"

No idea what that was but Liverpool pulled the plug instantly and said they only want to sign players 100% committed to Liverpool. Not finances.

I think another RB. Someone older who can come in for TAA.

Someone to replace Lovren.

Moreno and Studge don't need replacing as they werent used.

Kasper Dolberg of Ajax would be decent. You g enough to progress and not demand a starting place.
Posted By: Pickles Re: Who needs to come in & to in the summer? - 06/06/19 09:16 AM
I have heard Mignolet is on his way and we are looking to replace him with Neil Etheridge of Cardiff. Mignolet set up a coffee shop business in his home town of Sint Truden in 2016 with his family and he wants to be more hands on in the business. There's rumours he wants to go back there "if" they can come up with a suitable transfer package for him.

Posted By: dasil12 Re: Who needs to come in & to in the summer? - 07/06/19 08:02 AM
I would bring in

Nicolas Pepe - AMR and left striker
Gaya from Valencia - left back
Hoessuem Aouar (Lyon) or Kai Hervetz (levekusen)- AM and CM
Jonathan Tah from Levekusen CB
Federico Chiesa (Fiorentina) - LW/RW
Whatever goalkeeper

Out
Sturridge, Moreno, Markovic, Lovren (whatever we can get), Ings (20mil) , Clyne (12mil), Wilson (30mil), Migs(15mil).

The big one for me is Salah if we can get a deal
North of 150 mil. Haven�t been entirely convinced. Confidence is one thing but he has been quite selfish and poor in our build up play.
I would keep Salah unless we can get someone of equal/better quality like Mbappe (doubt it) to replace him, but there aren't many of them around.

He is the PL Top scorer this season, when he hasn't had a great season form wise, teams have been concentrating on stopping him after last season, which means he takes allot of the focus, which gives the likes of Mane more space and opportunity to exploit, which Mane has.

We need to add better players, not sell our best players like Salah. I would leave it for Klopp to decide, we shouldn't need to sell Salah for the money, so why sell?
Originally Posted By dasil12
I would bring in

Whatever goalkeeper

Out
Sturridge, Moreno, Markovic, Lovren (whatever we can get), Ings (20mil) , Clyne (12mil), Wilson (30mil), Migs(15mil).

North of 150 mil. Haven�t been entirely convinced. Confidence is one thing but he has been quite selfish and poor in our build up play.

He had 8 premier league assists this year, more than Firmino and Mane combined.
I would bring in

Whatever goalkeeper

Out

Would you take 150m for him? I would because we can be stronger with a deeper squad if the money is well invested.
Originally Posted By EnergisedReds
I would bring in

Whatever goalkeeper

Out

Would you take 150m for him? I would because we can be stronger with a deeper squad if the money is well invested.

I'd want �200 million, he's as good as Neymar.

It all depends who we could get in to replace him.
I would bring in

Whatever goalkeeper

Out

No chance. 150 gets you Coutinho. Salah is worth way more. He's the league's top scorer 2 years running, our biggest attacking threat, and not to mention one of the biggest names on the planet now. Who could you buy for 150 that would replace him?

200 to even begin discussions, and I would be disappointed with anything less than 250 really.
Selling Salah would be complete madness. Yes we could strengthen with the money we get as we did with the Coutinho money. But what if it doesn�t work out? We sell our best(?) player and get two duds? Then what?

Keep our best players and build around them. We don�t need to sell anyone to strengthen. Madness to even contemplate it right now.
Posted By: Pickles Re: Who needs to come in & to in the summer? - 07/06/19 06:20 PM
Don't know where all this selling Salah bo.llocks is coming from? but it's just that complete and utter bo.llocks! Unless FSG get a bid in excess of the current world record there is no way they would contemplate selling. Salah is a PR dream and sells our shirts in massive numbers around the world, especially here in the UK and in Africa and Asia!
Selling Salah would be complete madness. Yes we could strengthen with the money we get as we did with the Coutinho money. But what if it doesn�t work out? We sell our best(?) player and get two duds? Then what?

Keep our best players and build around them. We don�t need to sell anyone to strengthen. Madness to even contemplate it right now.

Exactly. City aren't thinking of selling Sterling or De Bruyne. Why should we sell our best players? We've won the biggest trophy in football, and we've had a real shot at the league and champions league in the past 2 years. Will they have a better shot at the CL at Barca? Past 2 years says no.
We are possibly 2 or 3 players away from winning the PL defending the CL successfully and adding a cup. The current squad is good enough to win one of the big 2 and one of the 2 domestic cups. We can still do that by not selling Salah.

We don't have to sell our best players. I am pretty sure that our buying policy will push the boat out to get top 2 or 3 targets but that may also mean we sell a prized asset such as Salah to get to that next level.

As far as getting duds is concerned I think we all have enough faith in Klopp to bring in the right players at the right time. Sadly that may mean getting rid of certain players at the height of their value to achieve this. The trick is completed when you can pull off the transfers coming in so successfully. What price would you put on VVD and Alisson now?

Part of the reason we cannot keep up with City is the financial clout (or cheating) to provide 2 quality first teams. What we can do is look at what we HAVE, look to see WHEN they need replacing and then look at HOW we will achieve that.

The reason we are now successful is the age mix of the players and getting the players on long contracts together will help breed more success. So I do see a time when a player like Coutinho is sold to bring 2 more in. But look at how quick the rewards were from that. Two CL finals, one successful and 97 points.

Don't see it as having to sell a player but more putting ourselves into position to go to the next level and stay there.
I would bring in

Whatever goalkeeper

Out

No chance. 150 gets you Coutinho. Salah is worth way more. He's the league's top scorer 2 years running, our biggest attacking threat, and not to mention one of the biggest names on the planet now. Who could you buy for 150 that would replace him?

200 to even begin discussions, and I would be disappointed with anything less than 250 really.

Nicolas Pepe and Werner/Sancho would cost less than 150m and will make our squad stronger. Pepe is a sensational player and probably second to only Mbape last season in ligue 1
Posted By: lumba Re: Who needs to come in & to in the summer? - 07/06/19 07:10 PM
Welcome to Koptalk.
Originally Posted By lumba
Welcome to Koptalk.

Who, Welsh Wizard?
Posted By: Pickles Re: Who needs to come in & to in the summer? - 07/06/19 07:18 PM
Not really seen much of Sancho, he did look dangerous last night but is he really worth 90m? seems excessive when there's plenty of players around in the same mold.

De Ligt however is an anomaly in his position, for his age and is one that we would well get our money's worth and still sell on in 5 or 6 years time for a profit.
Salah wouldn�t get into man cities team.he isn�t our best attacker or our biggest threat.if a bid of �150m came in it would be madness not to except it.maybe we could by a player with 2 feet who can take a corner.
Posted By: Pickles Re: Who needs to come in & to in the summer? - 07/06/19 10:13 PM
Originally Posted By lumba
Welcome to Koptalk.

Who, Welsh Wizard?

Vish 10
Not really seen much of Sancho, he did look dangerous last night but is he really worth 90m? seems excessive when there's plenty of players around in the same mold.

De Ligt however is an anomaly in his position, for his age and is one that we would well get our money's worth and still sell on in 5 or 6 years time for a profit.

i think the money dortmund wants for sancho is madness. He had one good season and sure he's british and young but we can easily get same quality for much cheaper.

As I have said in an earlier post, it is absolutely critical for us to bring in top quality attackers to challenge mane and salah in the team. Last year the amount of scrappy goals, set pieces and fortunate injury time goals were insane. Add to that, the games city lost they could have won like 5-2 and they should have beaten us at anfield if not for the penalty miss. All that points to the gap the next season almost certainly being larger unless we add more open play goals into our game.

We absolutely need to step it up if we want to avoid a repeat of 2013/14. That means we keep Salah ( I think there are better players out there but they would cost an absolute bomb) and all our other best players.
Posted By: dasil12 Re: Who needs to come in & to in the summer? - 08/06/19 07:39 AM
I would sell Salah for 200 mil in a heartbeat. Of course if we can bring in someone better we should keep him but selling means buying 3 very good players like Pepe and De Ligt, I wouldn�t think twice.
I would sell Salah for 200 mil in a heartbeat. Of course if we can bring in someone better we should keep him but selling means buying 3 very good players like Pepe and De Ligt, I wouldn�t think twice.

there's no way we would get �200m for him.�150m is really pushing it.but id be happy with 120+
Originally Posted By AngryAsianRed

i think the money dortmund wants for sancho is madness. He had one good season and sure he's british and young but we can easily get same quality for much cheaper.

As I have said in an earlier post, it is absolutely critical for us to bring in top quality attackers to challenge mane and salah in the team. Last year the amount of scrappy goals, set pieces and fortunate injury time goals were insane. Add to that, the games city lost they could have won like 5-2 and they should have beaten us at anfield if not for the penalty miss. All that points to the gap the next season almost certainly being larger unless we add more open play goals into our game.

We absolutely need to step it up if we want to avoid a repeat of 2013/14. That means we keep Salah ( I think there are better players out there but they would cost an absolute bomb) and all our other best players.

We definitely need better to beat City to the title, can't see them losing again against the likes of Palace at home after the run they had to win the title, it was I think 14 wins. And we cannot rely on some lucky last minute goals like against Everton and Spurs.

Exactly. City aren't thinking of selling Sterling or De Bruyne. Why should we sell our best players? We've won the biggest trophy in football, and we've had a real shot at the league and champions league in the past 2 years. Will they have a better shot at the CL at Barca? Past 2 years says no.

Exactly. We don�t need to sell to buy anymore. We�re in a financial position to add to the quality we have. We need to get ourselves out of this sell our best players for two good players mentality if we want to win more.

We did it with Coutinho because we needed VVD and Allison. What we need now is good quality back up / replacements that don�t require us to sell our best player.
Originally Posted By SSO
We are possibly 2 or 3 players away from winning the PL defending the CL successfully and adding a cup. The current squad is good enough to win one of the big 2 and one of the 2 domestic cups. We can still do that by not selling Salah.

We don't have to sell our best players. I am pretty sure that our buying policy will push the boat out to get top 2 or 3 targets but that may also mean we sell a prized asset such as Salah to get to that next level.

As far as getting duds is concerned I think we all have enough faith in Klopp to bring in the right players at the right time. Sadly that may mean getting rid of certain players at the height of their value to achieve this. The trick is completed when you can pull off the transfers coming in so successfully. What price would you put on VVD and Alisson now?

Part of the reason we cannot keep up with City is the financial clout (or cheating) to provide 2 quality first teams. What we can do is look at what we HAVE, look to see WHEN they need replacing and then look at HOW we will achieve that.

The reason we are now successful is the age mix of the players and getting the players on long contracts together will help breed more success. So I do see a time when a player like Coutinho is sold to bring 2 more in. But look at how quick the rewards were from that. Two CL finals, one successful and 97 points.

Don't see it as having to sell a player but more putting ourselves into position to go to the next level and stay there.

Agree. I only mentioned the duds as it is a possibility. I trust Klopp�s judgement and he hasn�t got much wrong in the market but however good you�ve been it�s always a gamble and one I think we�d be mad to take with Salah.
Some seem to think that weakening = strengthening, a rather absurd strategy, but apparently aren't aware of the inherent risks involved in that strategy. We came within a point of winning the league, we led by seven at one stage, and we've just won the CLfinal, why would we need to sell the player/s that brought us to that level? The logical thing to do in our present position is to add additional strength and backup, not start pulling down what we've already painfully built.
Some seem to think that weakening = strengthening, a rather absurd strategy, but apparently aren't aware of the inherent risks involved in that strategy. We came within a point of winning the league, we led by seven at one stage, and we've just won the CLfinal, why would we need to sell the player/s that brought us to that level? The logical thing to do in our present position is to add additional strength and backup, not start pulling down what we've already painfully built.

It�s bonkers ain�t it. When we did it with Coutinho, you can argue we needed to to build the team. Now we�ve done that we don�t need to sell just add quality to the quality we have. It seems some just think that our two time golden boot winner is over rated and can easily be replaced.

It�s bonkers ain�t it. When we did it with Coutinho, you can argue we needed to to build the team. Now we�ve done that we don�t need to sell just add quality to the quality we have. It seems some just think that our two time golden boot winner is over rated and can easily be replaced.

We signed VvD about a week before we sold Coutinho, we had tried to buy VvD the previous summer, so I do not know if we 'had' to sell Coutinho to buy VvD, or if we would have signed him anyway if we didn't sell Coutinho. Similar situation with Alisson, we nearly bought Fekir a few weeks before for �50 million, does that mean we don't buy Alisson if we had already bought Fekir? only FSG know I guess, but you don't just wake up and say, I know who we will buy today, we do months of research and speak to the player/agents etc, so we must have been after these players.

I agree we need to strengthen the team, not sell our best players like Salah, I do not see the need for some people to get rid of Salah, we can argue if he is the best out there or not, but the facts are he is the top scorer in the PL in the last 2 seasons, by an amazing margin last season. He has had extra focus from opponents this season after last years performances and he still got 20+ goals, he also creates allot of space/chances, panics the opposition, that's why the likes of Mane have also improved, on the back of the work Salah does (mane deserves all his plaudits also and has improved himself).

We have built an excellent team, now we need an excellent squad to beat City to the PL, with our success and income from TV/Sponsorship/Prize Money/Merchandise etc we should have enough to add quality to the squad without selling our best players.

I trust Klopp to decide what is best for the team, Klopp and the team have an excellent record on buying players, but no one can keep getting it right!
Posted By: RafaB Re: Who needs to come in & to in the summer? - 08/06/19 10:39 AM
We need LB cover, the youngster not thought to be ready - he will go on loan..
RB specialist - as TAA will be used as RB and moved C Mid at times (his natural position/fave), as we do not appear to have a youngster ready to cover/challenge..

AMC - Cout replacement, Fekhir still being talked about... And others

Replacement for Salah?? - If he does go to his favoured Marid/Barca or Juve..

R Sessingnon as LB/LW cover anyone??

Trust in Klopp his recruitment is excellent...
Originally Posted By RafaB
We need LB cover, the youngster not thought to be ready - he will go on loan..
RB specialist - as TAA will be used as RB and moved C Mid at times (his natural position/fave), as we do not appear to have a youngster ready to cover/challenge..

AMC - Cout replacement, Fekhir still being talked about... And others

Replacement for Salah?? - If he does go to his favoured Marid/Barca or Juve..

R Sessingnon as LB/LW cover anyone??

Trust in Klopp his recruitment is excellent...

Sessingnon would be good, but I can't see him wanting to come in and be a reserve in effect, he will want to play, he will also cost big money, probably �40+ million.

Problem is we can buy a top quality forward and say we will rotate with Salah/Mane/Firmino, but Robertson has been key to our attacking play, so he will not really be rotated for PL & CL, who comes in will cover for injuries and be there for domestic cups I guess, so that's not very appealing for a quality LB.

Posted By: RafaB Re: Who needs to come in & to in the summer? - 08/06/19 10:50 AM
Agreed Sess may not want to play as cover, but he knows we give the kids a chance now.. Maybe he believes he is better than Robbo?? or could be in a season or two..

He could play LW regularly as sub etc.. I think he would get games in a 60 game season etc..
Posted By: RafaB Re: Who needs to come in & to in the summer? - 08/06/19 10:51 AM
Watford RB for me, Bissako or whatever the dudes name is, is he as good going forward tho? Not seen too much of him, looks great def tho...

there are also some of us who think selling certain players weakening at all.i personally don't agree that Salah is the world beater that you all think he is.i am not blind to his glaring weaknesses.Salah has benefited from playing for this team as much s the other way around.

there are also some of us who think selling certain players weakening at all.i personally don't agree that Salah is the world beater that you all think he is.i am not blind to his glaring weaknesses.Salah has benefited from playing for this team as much s the other way around.

I agree that he has his flaws. Not many players don�t have them. Is he the best out there? I wouldn�t say do but you can�t argue with his goals. He fits our system and IS one of if not our best player and to sell when we don�t need to us just counter productive to where we want to be. We don�t need to sell to buy so why would we?

It's not a question of who is or isn't our best player, it's about keeping top quality that fits our style of play and almost if not always contributes significantly to our performances. Salah does that, and when he doesn't score he contributes majorly to our performances. It's arguable that we d have won the league last season had w e a stronger squad, covering those key areas where we were forced to select weaker players playing out of position, etc. We ave the money, so the obvious thing to do is hold on to our quality players and reinforce those areas where we're weak, and areas where we nee d more depth.
LIVERPOOL MAKE REPORTED �80MILLION OFFER FOR PEPE.

It's not a question of who is or isn't our best player, it's about keeping top quality that fits our style of play and almost if not always contributes significantly to our performances. Salah does that, and when he doesn't score he contributes majorly to our performances. It's arguable that we d have won the league last season had w e a stronger squad, covering those key areas where we were forced to select weaker players playing out of position, etc. We ave the money, so the obvious thing to do is hold on to our quality players and reinforce those areas where we're weak, and areas where we nee d more depth.

Well my issue with Salah has always been that if he's not scoring then he contributes very little.i cant deny he has a great scoring record since signing for us but to say he contributes majorly when he isnt scoring is wide of the mark.i'm not arguing as to wether he's our best player or not because it isnt a point of discussion,he's not in our top 3 or 4 players.im just saying that in this inflated market and with Salah being held in such high regard(and not just because of his goals)i would sell with the figures that are being talked about.we would get more than he's worth at this moment in time.if we dont sell now,when the Salah bubble bursts and he wants to move on we wont get anywhere near what we would get at this time.and if the rumours that we have bid for Pepe are true then Salah is on his way anyway.ive heard his agent has been trying to secure a move to a big European club anyway.he didnt get his way in January which would explain the "Salah looks unhappy with his own performances"reports.
Why would us bidding for Pepe mean that Salah is going?

Also, who could we get to replace his goals? There are good strikers out there but Salah fits our system and buying someone else will be a massive gamble.

We also don�t need the money from selling him. If his value drops then so be it. We don�t need to cash in. He cost pranuts in today�s money so all in all it makes zero sense to sell.
Originally Posted By Vicdamone
LIVERPOOL MAKE REPORTED �80MILLION OFFER FOR PEPE.

No chance.

Can't see us going for someone that heavy when our front 3 is guaranteed
Posted By: Pickles Re: Who needs to come in & to in the summer? - 08/06/19 08:38 PM
I can only see Pepe as an acquisition to bolster the team and not to replace anybody. It�s obvious we can�t play the same 3 players up front for every game so Pepe will alternate with Mane & Salah. It�s great news for competition in pushing them to perform. I�d imagine we are still in for Werner and if that doesn�t happen they�ll likely bring in that Max Kruse we�ve been linked to recently to alternate with Bobby and Origi.
The likes of Brewster will get their chance in domestic cup comps.
I can only see Pepe as an acquisition to bolster the team and not to replace anybody. It�s obvious we can�t play the same 3 players up front for every game so Pepe will alternate with Mane & Salah. It�s great news for competition in pushing them to perform. I�d imagine we are still in for Werner and if that doesn�t happen they�ll likely bring in that Max Kruse we�ve been linked to recently to alternate with Bobby and Origi.
The likes of Brewster will get their chance in domestic cup comps.

Pepe is a left footed winger playing on the right, so similar to both Salah and Shaq, so I am not sure if we need another player in that position. Looks to me he could play in the middle though, where we need a top player to rotate with Firmino. However, we have a bigger need for a right footed forward.
Posted By: WNP Re: Who needs to come in & to in the summer? - 09/06/19 10:13 AM
Fekir is said to be available for around �15m which is a no brainier, and RBL face losing Werner for free to Bayern next year if they don�t sell this year, so he should be available for a good price too.

Say �60-70m for both Fekir and Werner would be great business and would provide the depth we�ve lacked in attack
Yes, those 2 would be excellent.

We are facing up to 70 games to play the coming season, and we can't rely on the front 3 always being fit. What if 1 or 2 of them happens to be out injured for a 2 month spell?

We definitely need to add some quality up front.

Also I'd like to see a fullback who can slot in nicely on both flanks. He could play rb/lb in the early stages of the CL and the domestic cups, and also alternate with Trent and Robbo against certain opposition in PL. What about Adam Smith at Bournemouth? He plays a similar game to our fullbacks and can whip a ball in. Worth a punt?
Posted By: Pickles Re: Who needs to come in & to in the summer? - 09/06/19 02:47 PM
Fekir wasn�t in the France squad that lost in Turkey last night, anybody know why?
Originally Posted By WNP
Fekir is said to be available for around �15m which is a no brainier, and RBL face losing Werner for free to Bayern next year if they don�t sell this year, so he should be available for a good price too.

Say �60-70m for both Fekir and Werner would be great business and would provide the depth we�ve lacked in attack

I agree, for �15 million he's a no brainer, it was reported we were worried about his knee long term at �50 million, at �15 million, if we get a few years out of him, it's good business.

I can't see the Lyon owner wanting to sell him to us for that price after last summers shananigans!
Yesterday it was Pepe, today it's Bruno Fernandez
Bruno Fernandes has said he'd rather come to us over anyone as we play his kind of football.

Man utd seem to want him. He will probably end up there.

I still can't see us spending on a first team player. Maybe a couple of players to fill out the squad.
Posted By: Pickles Re: Who needs to come in & to in the summer? - 10/06/19 11:48 AM
TBH the numbers being quoted for players we seem to be linked with everyday from Portugal are ridiculous. We've battered one of their top teams twice over 2 legs for the past 2 years in the CL and I've seen nothing in the Porto side that had me think that Portugal is a must destination to look for players,

Underwhelming would be an understatement to say about players currently plying their trade in Portugal's domestic, top tier league.

If Fekir is going for 15m we should bite the hands off Lyon and not be contemplating 60 to 70m for players in a sh*ittier league!
Chelsea wanted Fekir, so maybe they might try as replacement for Hazard.
Originally Posted By Mr Bojangles
Bruno Fernandes has said he'd rather come to us over anyone as we play his kind of football.

Man utd seem to want him. He will probably end up there.

I still can't see us spending on a first team player. Maybe a couple of players to fill out the squad.

If we don't spend on a first team attacking player, we will not win the EPL, Mark my words

Well my issue with Salah has always been that if he's not scoring then he contributes very little.i cant deny he has a great scoring record since signing for us but to say he contributes majorly when he isnt scoring is wide of the mark.i'm not arguing as to wether he's our best player or not because it isnt a point of discussion,he's not in our top 3 or 4 players.im just saying that in this inflated market and with Salah being held in such high regard(and not just because of his goals)i would sell with the figures that are being talked about.we would get more than he's worth at this moment in time.if we dont sell now,when the Salah bubble bursts and he wants to move on we wont get anywhere near what we would get at this time.and if the rumours that we have bid for Pepe are true then Salah is on his way anyway.ive heard his agent has been trying to secure a move to a big European club anyway.he didnt get his way in January which would explain the "Salah looks unhappy with his own performances"reports.

That just isn't true. He has more assists than Firmino and Mane combined. He has more successful take ons than them, more key passes, more through balls, and more chances created. After Trent and Robertson, he is our highest assister. He leads the team in successful dribbles, key passes, and chances created. That may be your opinion, but it has no basis in fact. And even if it were true, it's a silly gripe to have because he scores so bloody often. How many times has he given us the opening goal, the winning goal or the equalizer? Not in our top 3 or 4 players? What are you on about?

As for what you've heard about his agent, give us some sources, because the only public statement his agent has made has been to say that such rumors were rubbish. unless you have a source to back up your claim, it doesn't sound very credible to me.

That just isn't true. He has more assists than Firmino and Mane combined. He has more successful take ons than them, more key passes, more through balls, and more chances created. After Trent and Robertson, he is our highest assister. He leads the team in successful dribbles, key passes, and chances created. That may be your opinion, but it has no basis in fact. And even if it were true, it's a silly gripe to have because he scores so bloody often. How many times has he given us the opening goal, the winning goal or the equalizer? Not in our top 3 or 4 players? What are you on about?

As for what you've heard about his agent, give us some sources, because the only public statement his agent has made has been to say that such rumors were rubbish. unless you have a source to back up your claim, it doesn't sound very credible to me.

Van Dyke,Allison and Mane are our top 3 players,i would put Trent and Robinson not far behind them.and i dont need to go dig out some stats sheet to see what i see on the pitch.is there a ball retention and mis-placed pass stat to go with all of that?is there a refusal to use the right foot stat?is there a corner that hit the first man stat?what about a stat that says should have passed but decided to go alone and lost the ball.
Its only my opinion but like i have said before we have seen the best of Salah and i would take a big offer for him.he could go to Barca,Madrid and who know maybe even Man city but i dont think he would hold down a regular place in any of those teams.
Remember our best performance of the season was when Salah wasnt in the team.
i dont have any ITK info i've just read stuff here and there.we probably wont sell him this summer but if we make a big attacking signing before we sell dont be surprised if we then sell Salah.i wouldnt be.

Van Dyke,Allison and Mane are our top 3 players,i would put Trent and Robinson not far behind them.and i dont need to go dig out some stats sheet to see what i see on the pitch.is there a ball retention and mis-placed pass stat to go with all of that?is there a refusal to use the right foot stat?is there a corner that hit the first man stat?what about a stat that says should have passed but decided to go alone and lost the ball.
Its only my opinion but like i have said before we have seen the best of Salah and i would take a big offer for him.he could go to Barca,Madrid and who know maybe even Man city but i dont think he would hold down a regular place in any of those teams.
Remember our best performance of the season was when Salah wasnt in the team.
i dont have any ITK info i've just read stuff here and there.we probably wont sell him this summer but if we make a big attacking signing before we sell dont be surprised if we then sell Salah.i wouldnt be.

Well what I see on the pitch when I see Salah is our most dangerous player. His dribbling, his pace, his creativity, his eye for goal. If you think Virgil or Alisson are more valuable than him, that could be argued. They're different players, but I see the logic. But no one is contributing more to our attack than him.

His shot accuracy compared to Mane's for example is 47% vs Mane's 31%. His conversion rate is 17% compared to Mane's 14%. He's scored more goals. He's created more goals. He's beaten more men. His shots are more accurate, and his passes are more accurate and more dangerous. If Salah contributes very little to our attack, that is your opinion. It's fairly nebulous and hard to substantiate without evidence, but you can hold it if you like. But everyone else in this team contributes less to our attack than he does, and that is a recorded, quantifiable fact.

You can have your opinion. I have mine. A key difference is that I am substantiating that opinion with facts. Statistics are nothing more than recorded history. I like Mane, but what does Mane do more or better than Salah? He doesn't create more, he doesn't beat more men, and he doesn't score more goals. He has sure missed his share of sitters this year, and he's gotten fouled more, but what has he done this year that Salah hasn't?

As for the Barca game, that's a straw man. Are you going to say that Milner is a better left back than Robertson or Origi is better than Firmino based on that game? We wouldn't have gotten to that game without Salah's goal against Napoli or his outside the boot pass to Mane against Bayern.

People were complaining about Mane similarly last year when he had that rough patch after his sending off against City, saying he was being selfish, that he was jealous of Salah. That was bolx then, and the gripes people have about Salah are bolx now.
I don't think Kernowerd has a substantative or facts based argument here red, just his opinion, and on the evidence of ones eyes whatever about the stats his opinion is just that, his opinion. It's not yours it's not mine, it may be some others opinion too, but I'd venture to say it's very much a minority opinion, and in my view not a very credible opinion.
at this moment Salah is still one of our better players although personally I think Mane is more dangerous and harder to play against for top teams - he is able to go both directions(down the line or cutting inside) while salah is much more single footed and cuts inside 90% of the time.

I personally am neutral on a Salah sale. I think he's good, although I probably dont rate him as highly as some of you.

However I think the point about who we replace him if we sell him still stands. Even if we got like 140m for him (huge if), an equivalent replacement would cost us just as much once teams know we are loaded. Guys like Sancho are reportedly going to cost like 80m and I dont see how it is good business for us to replace Salah.
no i was never looking for some sort of "fact based argument"stats can be bent to suit a discussion." beaten most men"for example.that may not state he was running down a blind alley and got tackled by the 2nd player who he was never going to beat.the fact that as an attacker he has less assists than our 2 full backs is no great argument.and how does a player who has a better shot accuracy and conversion rate get the same amount as goals as the player with less?but this isn't about whether Salah is better than Mane.Mane is a much more rounded player than Salah.i would much rather have 2 Mane's than 2 Salah's but its only my opinion.Salah is very one dimensional and predictable.again only my opinion.he may have a better scoring rate than Suarez did for us,but does that mean he's a better player than Suarez was for us?not in a million years.
All im saying is that at the moment Salah has a value that is much higher than his actual ability.so if a big offer came in i would take it and hope that Klopp could use the money to improve the team.
Posted By: paul66 Re: Who needs to come in & to in the summer? - 11/06/19 08:05 PM
50m 100m 150m 5 pound. Does not matter what we sell him for it is who Salah would be replaced with.

Salah is a hugely important part in a well oil machine. You're nearly better talking about what players we could sign if we sold him. He is a top level player as in all the big teams would want him if he is leaving tomorrow. There is a small list of such players.
Posted By: Snakeye Re: Who needs to come in & to in the summer? - 11/06/19 11:05 PM
no i was never looking for some sort of "fact based argument"stats can be bent to suit a discussion." beaten most men"for example.that may not state he was running down a blind alley and got tackled by the 2nd player who he was never going to beat.the fact that as an attacker he has less assists than our 2 full backs is no great argument.and how does a player who has a better shot accuracy and conversion rate get the same amount as goals as the player with less?but this isn't about whether Salah is better than Mane.Mane is a much more rounded player than Salah.i would much rather have 2 Mane's than 2 Salah's but its only my opinion.Salah is very one dimensional and predictable.again only my opinion.he may have a better scoring rate than Suarez did for us,but does that mean he's a better player than Suarez was for us?not in a million years.
All im saying is that at the moment Salah has a value that is much higher than his actual ability.so if a big offer came in i would take it and hope that Klopp could use the money to improve the team.

Without his goal vs Napoli we would not have moved past the group stage, his goal against Southampton when he ran half of the field also kept our title challenge. That's just 2 contributions off my top of head. 44 goals in debut season, back to back golden boot winner, a huge star and role model in Egypt and the entire Arab world.

Can you tell me who we can buy that can contribute like Salah?
Originally Posted By paul66
50m 100m 150m 5 pound. Does not matter what we sell him for it is who Salah would be replaced with.

Salah is a hugely important part in a well oil machine. You're nearly better talking about what players we could sign if we sold him. He is a top level player as in all the big teams would want him if he is leaving tomorrow. There is a small list of such players.

Indeed, that's the question, can we get a better player or similar at a lower price. In a perfect market, it will not be possible unless we want to take a risk that could pay off. I did say here that I couldn't see Salah repeating his exceptional last season and also said that I thought he would score around 20 instead of the 32 he scored previously. I think that his level is what he did this season. When I look at Nicolas Pepe, I see more skill and speed, however, it will be a risk as his best season has been this year and no experience in the EPL. Is it worth some 80m profit we would do, ie selling Salah for 150m and buying Pepe for 70m? It could if only we needed strong reinforcements elsewhere, but we don't seem to. So this could happen only if the owners want the club to be even more profitable or Salah wants to go.
Originally Posted By Snakeye

Without his goal vs Napoli we would not have moved past the group stage, his goal against Southampton when he ran half of the field also kept our title challenge. That's just 2 contributions off my top of head. 44 goals in debut season, back to back golden boot winner, a huge star and role model in Egypt and the entire Arab world.

Can you tell me who we can buy that can contribute like Salah?

Origi's goal v barca and his last min goal v everton to keep us in the title race were just as important.but i bet you haven't got the same feelings for him.
How does being a role model in Egypt and the whole Arab world count as a contribution to the team?i couldnt care less how he is viewed in Egypt it doesnt make him a better player.
im sure in Egypt they think he's the best player ever because he scored the goal that qualified them for the world cup.it still doesnt change the fact that he's one of the most one footed players ive ever seen and cant take a corner to save his life.these are basics for a pro footballer.he is no better than Sane at Man city and he cant get into the city side.infact i would say that Sane is a better player than Salah and if he played on the other side i would be more than happy to sign him as a replacement.
How does being a role model in Egypt and the whole Arab world count as a contribution to the team?i couldnt care less how he is viewed in Egypt it doesnt make him a better player.
im sure in Egypt they think he's the best player ever because he scored the goal that qualified them for the world cup.it still doesnt change the fact that he's one of the most one footed players ive ever seen and cant take a corner to save his life.these are basics for a pro footballer.he is no better than Sane at Man city and he cant get into the city side.inface i would say that Sane is a better player than Salah and if he played on the other side i would be more than happy to sign him as a replacement.

What makes you think Sane is better than Salah even if we assume that he is available and City would wish to reinforce their biggest rival at their expense?
Posted By: Snakeye Re: Who needs to come in & to in the summer? - 12/06/19 10:44 AM
im sure in Egypt they think he's the best player ever because he scored the goal that qualified them for the world cup.it still doesnt change the fact that he's one of the most one footed players ive ever seen and cant take a corner to save his life.these are basics for a pro footballer.he is no better than Sane at Man city and he cant get into the city side.infact i would say that Sane is a better player than Salah and if he played on the other side i would be more than happy to sign him as a replacement.

It means there is a huge market out there that the club can use eg shirt sales. I remember years ago we wanted an Asian player to target that demographic to generate more funds for the club. As for Sane being better well that's your opinion.
Posted By: paul66 Re: Who needs to come in & to in the summer? - 12/06/19 11:32 AM

Not sure Sane would be as productive as Salah. But we could never buy him off city. So it is an irreverent argument to have.

It means there is a huge market out there that the club can use eg shirt sales. I remember years ago we wanted an Asian player to target that demographic to generate more funds for the club. As for Sane being better well that's your opinion.

Agree except for one thing, don't think there is a huge market for genuine shirts in Egypt though.
Huge market? Is that because half of Liverpool are from Africa and the Middle east?

The issue is you are making your argument completely on the "eye test." Anecdotally, a few times that something didn't come off for Salah, and I could do the same for Mane for example. I can think of plenty of times of moments of magic when Mo created something out of nothing. We shout at eachother for hours, and this goes in circles and goes nowhere. What statistics do is let us see the whole season of data, and see whether what we see has a greater pattern.

What statistics can tell us is that Salah beats his man 60% of the time when he tries to take him on. Mane does 43%. Both of these are good, particularly when they have the ball high up the pitch, and it's low risk for them to try something. But more often than not, it comes off when Mo tries something. Things you saw, particularly when he was in a patch of bad form in December, gave you an impression that he was selfish or wasteful. If he executes perfectly 9/10 times from that point on, when you see the one bad pass, bad decision or bad touch (that all players will eventually make), your confirmation bias sets in and you remark about him always losing the ball or being selfish. This is normal and human, and it's why the eye test alone isn't enough.

The point about him having fewer assists than our fullbacks is pedantic and silly though. Our fullbacks are our creative outlet. That 's how our system is built. You realize Trent and Andy are #3 and #4 in the league for assists, right? 12 and 11, more than Sane, Sterling, Pogba, and Aguero. almost everyone has fewer assists than them. Salah had 8, tied with Aguero, and more than our other front 3 members combined.

Selling Salah would be beyond silly, unless we were offered stupid money. Find me another player who can create and score 30+ goals a season, 2 years on the bounce in the prem. Sterling and Sane haven't done it. Aguero hasn't done it. Hazard's only done it one year. Mane hasn't done it. The last player. The last player we had like that was Suarez, and we saw how hard it was to replace him.

The issue is you are making your argument completely on the "eye test." Anecdotally, a few times that something didn't come off for Salah, and I could do the same for Mane for example. I can think of plenty of times of moments of magic when Mo created something out of nothing. We shout at eachother for hours, and this goes in circles and goes nowhere. What statistics do is let us see the whole season of data, and see whether what we see has a greater pattern.

What statistics can tell us is that Salah beats his man 60% of the time when he tries to take him on. Mane does 43%. Both of these are good, particularly when they have the ball high up the pitch, and it's low risk for them to try something. But more often than not, it comes off when Mo tries something. Things you saw, particularly when he was in a patch of bad form in December, gave you an impression that he was selfish or wasteful. If he executes perfectly 9/10 times from that point on, when you see the one bad pass, bad decision or bad touch (that all players will eventually make), your confirmation bias sets in and you remark about him always losing the ball or being selfish. This is normal and human, and it's why the eye test alone isn't enough.

The point about him having fewer assists than our fullbacks is pedantic and silly though. Our fullbacks are our creative outlet. That 's how our system is built. You realize Trent and Andy are #3 and #4 in the league for assists, right? 12 and 11, more than Sane, Sterling, Pogba, and Aguero. almost everyone has fewer assists than them. Salah had 8, tied with Aguero, and more than our other front 3 members combined.

Selling Salah would be beyond silly, unless we were offered stupid money. Find me another player who can create and score 30+ goals a season, 2 years on the bounce in the prem. Sterling and Sane haven't done it. Aguero hasn't done it. Hazard's only done it one year. Mane hasn't done it. The last player. The last player we had like that was Suarez, and we saw how hard it was to replace him.
great post

great post

I must say after seeing the ridiculous post I was going to go in on Kernow. Was very pleased to see redordead beat me to it. Couldnt have put it better myself. Great post. It honestly baffles me Kernows vendetta against salah. He was literally the best player in the world last year and has performed at a world class level this year...what more do you want? You want to cash in and take a punt on someone else who isnt proven in the prem for massive money? We spent 35 million on salah we simply WONT get a better return on an investment than that transfer. End of story.
It�s just his opinion (which I don�t agree with). Salah does have his flaws and some of what Kerno is saying is right. But his goals and assists would be really hard and a gamble to try and replace. I don�t care if his value drops as we won�t lose money on him so is really no point selling no matter how much we get offered. It would cost us nearly as much to get a replacement that can give us what he can so why bother?
Guys feel free to�go in on me�it�s not going to upset me or change my views.its good to have honest discussions about our players it�s what the forum is for right?theres no point in me going over again what I feel about the non existent Salah situation.im just airing my views on him.it doesn�t mean I don�t like or don�t rate him.he�s a good player but not the world beater that he is hailed as.
Salah is worth more to us than his performance level, great and all as it is. Salah brings the fear factor on to the pitch, a very valuable commodity, he terrorises defence's, draws them out of shape and creates space for our other attacking players. He's still at an age where he retains his prime, his speed and all of his considerable powers. Managers fear him too and set up their teams to try and contain him, thus limiting their options. Selling a player of Salah's calibre and proven value, at this juncture in our development, would be like asking the mafia for a hole in the head, why would we want to do such a thing?
Considerable powers?he's not one of the Avengers.you make it sound as if another player playing in his position doesn't need to be marked.Teams play like they do against us because we play with a front 3 and push the full backs on.
You have to remember that we are not a club who invest heavily in new players unless we know there is money coming in from players sales.we need a better squad and to do that we need to invest in the playing staff.at this time the best way to do that would be to get an inflated price for Salah as currently the sun shines from his behind.he has been very good for us,twice as good last season as he was this.im sure Klopp could get 2 top quality players for the price of one.But we probably wont sell him and we probably wont be making any big signing this summer.
Considerable powers?he's not one of the Avengers.you make it sound as if another player playing in his position doesn't need to be marked.Teams play like they do against us because we play with a front 3 and push the full backs on.
You have to remember that we are not a club who invest heavily in new players unless we know there is money coming in from players sales.we need a better squad and to do that we need to invest in the playing staff.at this time the best way to do that would be to get an inflated price for Salah as currently the sun shines from his behind.he has been very good for us,twice as good last season as he was this.im sure Klopp could get 2 top quality players for the price of one.But we probably wont sell him and we probably wont be making any big signing this summer.

I sort of agree with the bold part but I don't think it would be because of money
Posted By: Pickles Re: Who needs to come in & to in the summer? - 12/06/19 07:01 PM
The only folks who've mentioned a potential Salah sale is the Spanish press and they just do it to try and unsettle players with no real gumption behind their made up stories.

Salah is going nowhere especially after winning the CL with us and us coming so close in the prem. The Owners have pretty much stated that we are at the point where we have no need to be selling our best players, just adding further quality to the team.
Guys feel free to�go in on me�it�s not going to upset me or change my views.its good to have honest discussions about our players it�s what the forum is for right?theres no point in me going over again what I feel about the non existent Salah situation.im just airing my views on him.it doesn�t mean I don�t like or don�t rate him.he�s a good player but not the world beater that he is hailed as.

I'm not trying to go in on anyone, and I apologize if I made that impression.

I don't think Salah is the messiah, and I actually think in some ways Mane and Firmino can be more important to how we play. I just think in the age of twitter football, people tend to see things in absolutes, and those absolutes can be impractical. When we perceive a player is overrated, it can swing the pendulum a bit too far.

There are many people who are either fanboys or haters of big players. Hazard is a good example. There are plenty of "Zard" Chelsea fanboys who think he's been the best player in the league since he came here, who think he's ROnaldo Messi tier. And there are people who react to that and think he's sh*te. He's a really good player, one of the best in the league, but he has certain weaknesses. His finishing is inconsistent, he goes missing at times, and he isn't the most tactically switched on. He's either running the game, or he's a ghost.

Salah certainly has weaknesses. He is a bit one-footed, and he has made a few questionable decisions with the ball at times. But his combination of pace, dribbling, finishing, and creativity have made him the most effective attacker (on results) in the league for two seasons. Even when he plays poorly, he effects matches decisively, and that is a rare quality.

Mane is a bit more two-footed, and he has come up clutch in possibly more moments than Mo this season. But he has his own weaknesses too. He has missed a lot of sitters, and he can be a bit brain-dead every now and then. He can be guilty of making things too complicated when a simple pass or finish will do.

They're both amazing players, and I think it's telling that they both have had the best 2 seasons of their careers since they started playing together. They along with Firmino compliment each other and get the best out of each other.

I just don't see how we could replace Salah with anyone directly. Neymar, Mbappe, Griezman, Messi, Ronaldo; those are the kind of players we would need to replace or improve upon his proven output. Even Sane, Sterling, Son and Kane have Otherwise we have to get lucky and find the next star before they breakout. We replaced Coutinho well, but his output was never at that level, and neither was his consistency.
Liverpool 'reignite interest in Nabil Fekir' but won't pay the �53m fee agreed with Lyon last summer.
Can't see us signing anyone but replacements for sturridge and Moreno.

Ox. Keita and Shaq will play a lot more next year.
Unfortunately we dont know how Klopps mind works.
Posted By: RedJohn Re: Who needs to come in & to in the summer? - 13/06/19 10:34 AM
We don't need replacements for DS and Moreno, we need signings that can challenge those positions to improve the first team and squad.

I'm sure any talk of 'no big signings' is a smoke screen. We don't want to stand still, but we're in a great position of just needing a couple of quality additions. CB and Striker/front 3 for me.

Many many games next year and we might not be so lucky with injuries.
Not one of our signings but West ham have just sign Pablo Fornals from Villarreal.

He's a great little player. Loads of skill great shot on him. I'd have been happy with him.

Watch West ham ruin him
Originally Posted By Mr Bojangles
Can't see us signing anyone but replacements for sturridge and Moreno.

Ox. Keita and Shaq will play a lot more next year.

I think the same
Originally Posted By RedJohn
We don't need replacements for DS and Moreno, we need signings that can challenge those positions to improve the first team and squad.

I'm sure any talk of 'no big signings' is a smoke screen. We don't want to stand still, but we're in a great position of just needing a couple of quality additions. CB and Striker/front 3 for me.

Disagree with this. If Robertson or trent get a lengthy injury we only have milner as senior cover. We definitely need full back options considering how many games we will be playing next year. We were extremely lucky with injuries last season. I think midfield is fine. There are options if one of the front three go down. Same with the CB's with lovren, gomez, VVD and matip (fabinho for emergencies). Full backs? Milner. So yeah, We do we need to replace moreno. Brewster takes Sturridge's place I think.
Posted By: Snakeye Re: Who needs to come in & to in the summer? - 14/06/19 10:04 PM
Gomez can play fullback, he got injured playing RB and we also have Clyne back who not so long ago was highly regarded so we have options. The more concerning position is a striker.
Gomez can play fullback, he got injured playing RB and we also have Clyne back who not so long ago was highly regarded so we have options. The more concerning position is a striker.

Gomez just ok for RB in Klopp's system while Clyne is not coming back. That said, I understand we have a top teenager getting there fast
Posted By: Derek Re: Who needs to come in & to in the summer? - 15/06/19 07:29 PM
If we could squeeze another attacking midfielder into the squad then Hakim Ziyech is a steal for 30-35m
Originally Posted By Derek
If we could squeeze another attacking midfielder into the squad then Hakim Ziyech is a steal for 30-35m

I wouldn't say we even have to squeeze as I can't see Mane playing all the games of the season, we cannot keep on relying on him being not injured.
Posted By: RedJohn Re: Who needs to come in & to in the summer? - 17/06/19 07:01 AM
Originally Posted By ghostgoal

Disagree with this. If Robertson or trent get a lengthy injury we only have milner as senior cover. We definitely need full back options considering how many games we will be playing next year. We were extremely lucky with injuries last season. I think midfield is fine. There are options if one of the front three go down. Same with the CB's with lovren, gomez, VVD and matip (fabinho for emergencies). Full backs? Milner. So yeah, We do we need to replace moreno. Brewster takes Sturridge's place I think.

I didn't get my point over well enough.

We need cover and the squad needs strengthening, but of a higher calibre than Moreno and an injury prone DS. Brewster and Origi are fine back up but if they're not good enough to displace the front 3, we need someone who is.
I'm not suggesting another Robertson for LB, but maybe someone versatile that we don't cringe at when his name's on the team sheet.
Originally Posted By ghostgoal

I didn't get my point over well enough.

We need cover and the squad needs strengthening, but of a higher calibre than Moreno and an injury prone DS. Brewster and Origi are fine back up but if they're not good enough to displace the front 3, we need someone who is.
I'm not suggesting another Robertson for LB, but maybe someone versatile that we don't cringe at when his name's on the team sheet.

Yeah, I fully agree, we need to strengthen the squad and we need a few quality backup players for the obvious positions. We have the money, failure to use it where needed will likely cost us again, and that would be criminally negligent.
Just watching the Copa America final and Everton looks useful for Brazil playing on the wing, good interlinking with Firmino, he's got a goal, good skills and looks pretty stock, so he might be a good option for the front 3, he's 23 and still playing in Brazil, so he could be available and would meet the FSG mould.

Would also be amusing to sign someone called Everton for the Blue Noses!
Was just thinking the same.

Coutinho is playing for himself as usual. Don't want that spoilt brat back!
Originally Posted By van Gogh
Was just thinking the same.

Coutinho is playing for himself as usual. Don't want that spoilt brat back!

Yeah, he just won't release the ball, always getting tacked by last man.

Everton got 9 in 19 for Gremio, so a good scoring record, reports say he can play wing/forward L/C/R, he's left wing tonight, so would be good cover for Mane.

His agent has also ruled out a move to City while they have so many attacking options as he wants to play, so sounds like he has his head screwed on:

https://metro.co.uk/2019/07/04/man-utd-target-everton-soares-agent-rules-switch-man-city-10115293/

A few clubs will be after him, but if we get in fast, we might be able to get him if he see's he will get games and we already have Firmino who he looks good with.
Both Bobby and Cortina subbed off.

The right move from brazil's manager.
Originally Posted By van Gogh
Both Bobby and Cortina subbed off.

The right move from brazil's manager.

Yeah, down to 10 men, they are gonna try and hold on, bet he regrets not having Fab to bring on now.

Amazing Alisson conceded first goal in the competition tonight with a penalty, and they are in the final !!!!

Always love the Peru Kit!
Posted By: Pickles Re: Who needs to come in & to in the summer? - 08/07/19 01:36 AM
Just watching the Copa America final and Everton looks useful for Brazil playing on the wing, good interlinking with Firmino, he's got a goal, good skills and looks pretty stock, so he might be a good option for the front 3, he's 23 and still playing in Brazil, so he could be available and would meet the FSG mould.

We��d have to make sure we sing �There�s only one Everton� at the derby games!
😆
As already evidenced from last season, defence is not an issue - we already have enough defenders as milner and gomez can step in as left back and Robertson hasn't yet missed a game from injury I think.

Our main problem is up front when our 1st 3 doesn't fire: we need 1 quality forward that can replace or at least push mane and salah. For me this is the lone necessity and a very big one as we actually should have been quite a lot of points lower had we not scored a whole bunch of lucky goals.

Other than that, 1 more David Silva type would be nice. Our midfield is stocked with combative types as well as AOC and Keita who are box-to-box and very athletic but we don't have the type that can play between lines and is very good in tight spaces.
As already evidenced from last season, defence is not an issue - we already have enough defenders as milner and gomez can step in as left back and Robertson hasn't yet missed a game from injury I think.

Our main problem is up front when our 1st 3 doesn't fire: we need 1 quality forward that can replace or at least push mane and salah. For me this is the lone necessity and a very big one as we actually should have been quite a lot of points lower had we not scored a whole bunch of lucky goals.

Other than that, 1 more David Silva type would be nice. Our midfield is stocked with combative types as well as AOC and Keita who are box-to-box and very athletic but we don't have the type that can play between lines and is very good in tight spaces.

Yeah I'd very much agree, a top class forward and a quality creative goal scoring midfielder would round us off nicely.

Yeah I'd very much agree, a top class forward and a quality creative goal scoring midfielder would round us off nicely.

With the number of midfielders we have, can't see us buying another one and Klopp looks to prefer the hardworking/combative ones to the silky creative one, unlike Pep actually. So it looks like everybody agrees on the top class forward unless Origi has really stepped up. Don't know about Brewster, but if he is like Owen at his age, then we won't need to sign anybody. Is it a risk worth taking?
© KopTalk Forums