KopTalk

Quick Links: View All | Latest News | Liverpool FC Forum | Off Topic Forum | KopTalk Members | Help

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#637915 - 04/05/21 01:55 PM Re: When can Man Utd match be? [Re: BARTON42]
Pickles Offline
1st Team Squad

Hate to burst the bubble but we would not gain CL spot for finishing 5th, no matter which way the stars or planets align.

Say that Leicester finish 3rd, Liverpool 4th, Chelsea 5th. Liverpool and Chelsea could both qualify for UCL if Chelsea win this year's CL.

If Arsenal were to win the Europa League this year, the 5 CL spots in England is allowed and would go to Chelsea (CL winner), Arsenal (EL winner), and the top 3 in the PL - Liverpool would drop to the Europa league despite finishing in the "Champions League" spots.

#637916 - 04/05/21 02:11 PM Re: When can Man Utd match be? [Re: Pickles]
EnergisedReds Offline
Liverpool Legend

Originally Posted By Pickles
Hate to burst the bubble but we would not gain CL spot for finishing 5th, no matter which way the stars or planets align.

Say that Leicester finish 3rd, Liverpool 4th, Chelsea 5th. Liverpool and Chelsea could both qualify for UCL if Chelsea win this year's CL.

If Arsenal were to win the Europa League this year, the 5 CL spots in England is allowed and would go to Chelsea (CL winner), Arsenal (EL winner), and the top 3 in the PL - Liverpool would drop to the Europa league despite finishing in the "Champions League" spots.

This is what I also thought, only winners of the CL and EL go through if they are NOT qualified otherwise

#637918 - 04/05/21 03:54 PM Re: When can Man Utd match be? [Re: BARTON42]
elimmel Offline
Under 18 Player

Just checked out the UEFA site and true enough, 5th is not enough for CL no matter what happens.

Edited by elimmel (04/05/21 03:56 PM)

#637919 - 04/05/21 05:20 PM Re: When can Man Utd match be? [Re: elimmel]
EnergisedReds Offline
Liverpool Legend

Originally Posted By elimmel
Just checked out the UEFA site and true enough, 5th is not enough for CL no matter what happens.

Unless that team wins the CL or EL, but not for us. Would be interesting to see what FSG will do now

Edited by EnergisedReds (04/05/21 05:21 PM)

#637929 - 06/05/21 11:32 AM Re: When can Man Utd match be? [Re: BARTON42]
BARTON42 Offline
Under 16 Player

I seem to recall when LFC won inIstanbul they took Evertonís CL spot. Everton did not get into CL despite finishing 4th.

Is my recollection correct?

Has that rule changed?

#637931 - 06/05/21 12:33 PM Re: When can Man Utd match be? [Re: BARTON42]
ecnirp98 Offline
1st Team Squad

Loc: Madchester
Originally Posted By BARTON42
I seem to recall when LFC won inIstanbul they took Evertonís CL spot. Everton did not get into CL despite finishing 4th.

Has that rule changed?

I though Everton got knocked out in the third round qualifier in 2005/2006 by Villarreal, they finished 4th and at that time it got you to the final qualifier. We had to go through all the qualifying rounds (Didn't we play TNS in the first round?) as we did not get top 4 and CL winners did not auto qualify at that time, so UEFA had to fit us in by bringing us through all the qualifying rounds, we started in July if I remember!!!

#637933 - 06/05/21 12:52 PM Re: When can Man Utd match be? [Re: BARTON42]
elimmel Offline
Under 18 Player

Originally Posted By BARTON42

Has that rule changed?

from wiki;

Prior to the 2015Ė16 season, there was a limit of four clubs from each association entering the Champions League. If a club outside of England's top four won the Champions League, the 4th placed club would be demoted to the Europa League in the following season. This occurred in the 2011Ė12 season when Chelsea won the Champions League but only finished sixth in the Premier League. They replaced the fourth-placed team Tottenham Hotspur in the Champions League, who were demoted to the Europa League.
From the 2018Ė19 season, the UEFA Europa League winners gain entry to the UEFA Champions League in the group stage.[4]

Also from that season, if English clubs win both the UEFA Champions League and UEFA Europa League, and neither finish the Premier League in a position that qualifies them for the UEFA Champions League, the following will happen:

The club that won the UEFA Champions League will go straight into the group stage
The UEFA Europa League winners will go into the UEFA Champions League group stage
The club that finished fourth in the Premier League will transfer into the UEFA Europa League group stage

#637935 - 06/05/21 01:41 PM Re: When can Man Utd match be? [Re: BARTON42]
AccaBoosty Offline
Under 23 Player

Man U play Leicester just before us. Watch them throw that game away to stop us getting 4th. This playing 4 games in 8 days will be the only punishment they get for the postponement last weekend.

What happens if fans get it called off again? The FA needs to step up to the mark and make a decision before we get to next Thursday.

Each club is allowed fans back for one game before the end of the season. Perhaps the FA will stop Man U having fans in? It sticks in my throat that they will have fans in for one game and one or two of those may just be the same people who got the game called off on Sunday. On another personal note I am pi$$ed off because I will miss the game as I am working.

#637936 - 06/05/21 03:26 PM Re: When can Man Utd match be? [Re: AccaBoosty]
EnergisedReds Offline
Liverpool Legend

Originally Posted By AccaBoosty
Man U play Leicester just before us. Watch them throw that game away to stop us getting 4th. This playing 4 games in 8 days will be the only punishment they get for the postponement last weekend.

What happens if fans get it called off again? The FA needs to step up to the mark and make a decision before we get to next Thursday.

Each club is allowed fans back for one game before the end of the season. Perhaps the FA will stop Man U having fans in? It sticks in my throat that they will have fans in for one game and one or two of those may just be the same people who got the game called off on Sunday. On another personal note I am pi$$ed off because I will miss the game as I am working.

Who is to be blamed if we need them to finish top 4? I haven't seen anything in the 2nd half of the season showing that we deserve 4th, so be it

#637938 - 06/05/21 03:44 PM Re: When can Man Utd match be? [Re: EnergisedReds]
AccaBoosty Offline
Under 23 Player

Originally Posted By EnergisedReds
Originally Posted By AccaBoosty

Who is to be blamed if we need them to finish top 4? I haven't seen anything in the 2nd half of the season showing that we deserve 4th, so be it

I agree but the 4 points dropped by playing Fabinho at CB instead of the midfield in the last 2 games will be what proves to be crucial in the final analysis. He got put back in midfield for a few games and the shape returned to the team. He was then taken out of the midfield and we ran out of steam badly v Leeds and Newcastle. Klopp has to carry the can for that one.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  KopTalk Team 
Shout Box

Advertisements

Liverpool FC Discussion
Vvd rules himself out of Euros
by ecnirp98
Yesterday at 12:51 PM
When can Man Utd match be?
by EnergisedReds
Yesterday at 03:23 AM
Itís going to be very tight.
by EnergisedReds
11/05/21 04:19 AM
Gina squad no
by EnergisedReds
09/05/21 06:09 PM
The League Cup Final
by Snakeye
09/05/21 11:24 AM

General Discussion
The World ends tomorrow, you have to choose one song as ...
by Pickles
28/04/21 04:27 AM
What saying needs to die?
by Dunk
27/04/21 08:28 AM
Brexit & the sunlit uplands
by EMP
26/04/21 09:10 PM

Top Posters (30 Days)
EnergisedReds 56
ecnirp98 27
jim_beam 23