Page 2 of 18 1 2 3 4 17 18
S
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular
S
Originally Posted By Stanley Park
Originally Posted By Shaggydog
Probably Ireland the only exception and that was a one off event as far as I am aware the borders of Wales Scotland and England are fairly static and have been for many centuries if not thousands of years whereas in Europe they change in living memory. There is a bar on the border of I think Belgium and Holland and the border goes right through the bar and the bar has different licensing laws so you order a drink the barman says sorry last orders have gone but if you step a yard to the right I can serve you for another two hours because you are in a different country. This is because the border has been redrafted many times often within recent generations. If you remember just after the referendum result Scotland declared they wanted to seperate from Britain and join the EU the EU rejected this why ? Because they did not want to encourage break up in Europe which is a big danger for them

I think you will find that both Scotland and Wales have at various times in their history fought for their independence from England.

Britain has also faced armed resistance from countries striving to claim their independence throughout your history. Those countries include USA, South Africa and Ireland. Britain has caused plenty of conflict around the globe.

Scotland has always been independent from Britain it was a union not a takeover yes there were wars in the Middle Ages but the borders have remained static. As for britains involvement overseas that is irrelevant to the point being made and many of the European countries (like Spain for example) were doing the same thing however to repeat its completely irrelevant to the point only you could turn the Catalan dispute into brit bashing

It is far from irrelevant. You are trying to paint Britain as a trouble free paragon of virtue when it is far from it. The vast majority of Britain's conflicts have taken place in countries they had colonised.

Your current government is embroiled in a civil war and is led by a PM who wanted the UK to remain in the EU. She is now overseeing your exit strategy.

Thankfully you seem to have finally accepted that you will not be able to have your cake and eat it and grown up negotiations can now begin.

The pound has fallen and you have the weakest economy in Europe and Brexit has been delayed by at least another two years.

I think Britain has enough to be worrying about.

If the Catalans gain their independence it will not bring about the collapse of the EU. Sorry to disappoint you.

Liverpool Legend
Liverpool Legend
The majority of that post is an irrelevant rant against Britain what on earth has the Tory cabinet got to do with anything. No Catalan independence will not bring about the fall of the EU but it will be a big problem for them to add to all their growing political and financial troubles which there look to be no way out of. Unemployment is already very high in Spain Catalan is the biggest wealth generating area of Spain strip that out and you have the makings of another Greece on the EU,s hands. As I pointed out much of the EU is not stable there are many parts of Eastern Europe Germany and Holland and Belgium that have their own independence issues. Like the fall of the Roman Empire there is not one thing that will do for the EU but an aggregation of issues and they are piling up fast

IF YOU WANT TO BE HEARD SPEAK SOFTLY - BOB PAISLEY
E
EMP Offline
1st Team Squad
1st Team Squad
E
the biggest problem is a civil war...wtf does madrid think it is doing, its not franco times anymore...assholes

S
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular
S
The majority of that post is an irrelevant rant against Britain what on earth has the Tory cabinet got to do with anything. No Catalan independence will not bring about the fall of the EU but it will be a big problem for them to add to all their growing political and financial troubles which there look to be no way out of. Unemployment is already very high in Spain Catalan is the biggest wealth generating area of Spain strip that out and you have the makings of another Greece on the EU,s hands. As I pointed out much of the EU is not stable there are many parts of Eastern Europe Germany and Holland and Belgium that have their own independence issues. Like the fall of the Roman Empire there is not one thing that will do for the EU but an aggregation of issues and they are piling up fast

Thankfully you don't get to decide what is and isn't relevant. Just because you don't like something doesn't make it irrelevant.

As I said Britain has enough of its own problems

Last edited by Shaggydog; 02/10/17 02:32 PM.
E
EMP Offline
1st Team Squad
1st Team Squad
E
yeah Stan the "evil" EU empire is actually a union not an empire..I know u hate all empires except for the british one but facts matter

S
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular
S
Originally Posted By EMP
the biggest problem is a civil war...wtf does madrid think it is doing, its not franco times anymore...assholes

A huge overreaction by the Spanish Government. A shameful day for Spain and democracy.

E
EMP Offline
1st Team Squad
1st Team Squad
E
going there next week..not that side but still.. might get into full Orwell mode smile

Liverpool Legend
Liverpool Legend
Originally Posted By EMP
yeah Stan the "evil" EU empire is actually a union not an empire..I know u hate all empires except for the british one but facts matter

We need to distinguish between the EEC and the EU i don't have a problem with the EEC and most countries voted for it including Britain. Then the EEC turned into the EU by political stealth by a few unelected commissioners. So who voted to be in the EU ? I don't recall a vote do you ?

IF YOU WANT TO BE HEARD SPEAK SOFTLY - BOB PAISLEY
E
EMP Offline
1st Team Squad
1st Team Squad
E
yes we had loads of votes over the years

S
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular
S
Originally Posted By EMP

We need to distinguish between the EEC and the EU i don't have a problem with the EEC and most countries voted for it including Britain. Then the EEC turned into the EU by political stealth by a few unelected commissioners. So who voted to be in the EU ? I don't recall a vote do you ?

27 of the 28 countries seem happy enough with the arrangement.

I can't see any other country being in a huge rush to leave once the details of the Brexit Deal are announced.

I see your new trading partner Donald is doing his best to close Bombardier. That's going to be one interesting trade deal.

Last edited by Shaggydog; 02/10/17 02:40 PM.
Page 2 of 18 1 2 3 4 17 18

Moderated by  KopTalk Team 

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Advertisements
Liverpool FC Discussion
Can Elliott and Trent play together?
by Torres65 - 13/05/24 10:46 AM