Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Pickles Offline OP
1st Team Squad
OP Offline
1st Team Squad
Liverpool: Jordan Henderson added to England squad for Nations League

Jordan Henderson has missed Liverpool's last three matches after picking up a hamstring injury on 31 August

England in the Nations League
Venues: San Siro (Milan), Wembley Dates: 23 & 26 September

Liverpool captain Jordan Henderson has been added to the England squad for Nations League games against Italy and Germany.

Henderson, 32, was not named in Gareth Southgate's initial squad because of a hamstring injury.

However, the midfielder has now recovered and has joined up with the squad at St George's Park.

He replaces Manchester City's Kalvin Phillips, who withdrew over the weekend with a shoulder problem.

Henderson, who has 69 caps, has missed Liverpool's last three matches after being injured during their 2-1 win against Newcastle United at Anfield on 31 August.

He has made only one appearance for England in 2022 - a 2-1 friendly win against Switzerland at Wembley in March.

England face European champions Italy at the San Siro in Milan on Friday and Germany at Wembley on Monday.

Pickles Offline OP
1st Team Squad
OP Offline
1st Team Squad
I can't believe Klopp/LFC are allowing our club Captain, Henderson to make himself available for England after missing our last 3 games through injury? Surely he is not match fit and is more susceptible to aggravating the previous injury he has recovered from or is susceptible to a new injury?

These Nations League Internationals are a hindrance right smack in the Premier League Season and right before The World Cup. It's admirable he wants to represent his Country, however Henderson is surely putting himself in jeopardy of missing out on the plane to The World Cup by doing this?

The World Cup starts in 2 months time and considering he is Liverpool's Captain and with the problems we have in midfield he really has a responsibility to be in the best possible shape for his club and not a mickey mouse competition for England!

I doubt Henderson's place in England's squad for The World Cup would be in any jeopardy if he'd have missed these England games. It is nonsensical to go at a time he has just got back from injury and with the needs of his club.

Liverpool Legend
Liverpool Legend
Originally Posted By Pickles
I can't believe Klopp/LFC are allowing our club Captain, Henderson to make himself available for England after missing our last 3 games through injury? Surely he is not match fit and is more susceptible to aggravating the previous injury he has recovered from or is susceptible to a new injury?

These Nations League Internationals are a hindrance right smack in the Premier League Season and right before The World Cup. It's admirable he wants to represent his Country, however Henderson is surely putting himself in jeopardy of missing out on the plane to The World Cup by doing this?

The World Cup starts in 2 months time and considering he is Liverpool's Captain and with the problems we have in midfield he really has a responsibility to be in the best possible shape for his club and not a mickey mouse competition for England!

I doubt Henderson's place in England's squad for The World Cup would be in any jeopardy if he'd have missed these England games. It is nonsensical to go at a time he has just got back from injury and with the needs of his club.

I rather think Klopp sees this as an opportunity to get match fit, he hasn't played for almost a month

Pickles Offline OP
1st Team Squad
OP Offline
1st Team Squad
Dangerous because he's with different Coaches asking him to do different things...not his normal routine that he has at LFC.
I believe both he and Trent in particular have returned injured more than a couple of times from meaningless England games. The fact he is our Captain and with our current fraught situation in midfield, it's selfish of him to make himself available.

O
Oli Offline
Under 16 Player
Under 16 Player
O
I donīt understand this. So he has been injured and not played for Liverpool but is fine now and wants to play for England. Klopp must have accepted that.

Liverpool Legend
Liverpool Legend
He played some part yesterday, best way to gain some match fitness after recovering

T
Under 23 Player
Under 23 Player
T
I don't think Henderson will be worried, but his showing in the friendly against Australia was pathetic by his standards. It makes me beg the question : is he the unsung hero of football over the last 2 seasons, which we've sold to the Arabian league? Going by the standard of FA cup performance of not just Liverpool but other respective sides, our former skipper made an impression against the sky blues and helped us to the elusive trophy at Wembley stadium. If Henderson wasn't the unsung hero, why would he be in contention to play with Jude Bellingham (another previous target of the club) to both start at central attacking midfield? Perhaps this is just a distant unrealistic hope, to even dream of him playing in the same midfield as Oxlaide Chamberlain for the Lions. Southgate isn't the manager we think he is if he doesn't call the services of Henderson, Sterling or Grealish, England can't afford to waste more talent even if form plays a significant factor.

Moderated by  KopTalk Team 

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Advertisements
Liverpool FC Discussion