Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Snakeye #636838 25/01/21 10:50 AM
J
Under 16 Player
Under 16 Player
J
Yeah felt for Williams, thought he had a fairly confident game overall but there were 1 or 2 glaring moments where you really thought it's too early for the lad but that's not him at fault at all. I can't see he will ever have the pace to be the type of defender we want?

Whenever I've seen Phillips play I thought whilst obviously not quite the caliber we want he has been very confident and no complaints with his actual defending.

Thought we played well for a change so I am please about that.

Why was Matip rested? is it just to ease him back in for Thursday?

Snakeye #636840 25/01/21 11:07 AM
O
Oli Offline
Under 16 Player
Under 16 Player
O
Yes think Klopp made the decision to rather have Matip ready for Thursday as he canīt (professional footballer) play two games in one week. Shows how much Klopp can rely on him for the next few (many) weeks.

Snakeye #636843 25/01/21 12:23 PM
E
1st Team Squad
1st Team Squad
E
Williams is better on the ball and his distribution is much better, so I think that is why Klopp is playing him, both Williams and Phillips are not fast enough to deal with the Utd forwards, though I think Williams is faster watching him play, but allot of people, say they have similar speed.

I was surprised Phillips did not play against Burnley, you would expect that would have been the perfect game for him, with 2 big physical Burnley forwards having the ball lumped up to them, he would have been heading it away and blocking it all day, like the goal we conceded he would have probably headed it clear, instead Klopp plays Hendo??? I do not get some of our selections ATM, we need to play to the players strengths while we have so many injuries.

What it shows us is neither of them are likely to make it as first team regulars for Liverpool, speed and movement is essential for a PL CB now's.

ecnirp98 #636848 25/01/21 03:32 PM
Liverpool Legend
Liverpool Legend
Originally Posted By ecnirp98
Williams is better on the ball and his distribution is much better, so I think that is why Klopp is playing him, both Williams and Phillips are not fast enough to deal with the Utd forwards, though I think Williams is faster watching him play, but allot of people, say they have similar speed.

I was surprised Phillips did not play against Burnley, you would expect that would have been the perfect game for him, with 2 big physical Burnley forwards having the ball lumped up to them, he would have been heading it away and blocking it all day, like the goal we conceded he would have probably headed it clear, instead Klopp plays Hendo??? I do not get some of our selections ATM, we need to play to the players strengths while we have so many injuries.

What it shows us is neither of them are likely to make it as first team regulars for Liverpool, speed and movement is essential for a PL CB now's.

Hendo played CB against Burnley? Wasn't it Matip and Fabinho?

EnergisedReds #636852 25/01/21 06:24 PM
E
1st Team Squad
1st Team Squad
E
Originally Posted By EnergisedReds
Originally Posted By ecnirp98

Hendo played CB against Burnley? Wasn't it Matip and Fabinho?

You are correct, too many games! I think it was Fab who didn't clear the ball on the Burnley goal, being a CM, I think he wants to control and play the ball, whereas someone like Phillips would just knock it away under pressure, anyways, not Fab's fault, he's been great for us this season.

Snakeye #636853 25/01/21 06:24 PM
A
Under 23 Player
Under 23 Player
A
Williams and Phillips are emergency one match cover players only. If we were selling them at the start of the season they would have been way below the Ģ10m we got for Hoever. But we should have played both of them v Burnley or Man United to let Fabinho play midfield.

That is where we are suffering. Our midfield holds everything together and without certain players in their best positions we are finding TAA, Robbo and the front 3 really out of sorts. We can carry one or two through a couple of games but we cannot carry 3, 4 or 5 players off form.

For what it's worth Shaqiri, Origi and Ox have not exactly set the world alight given their chance.

Snakeye #636856 25/01/21 06:37 PM
E
1st Team Squad
1st Team Squad
E
I agree, I think part of our problem is that the defence is more exposed by the MF as we have missed Fab and his DM cover, same with Henderson when he has played at CB, Fab has been great as CB, but I do wonder if 2 of Matip/Williams/Phillips behind Fab in CM would be better, we do not seem to have tried that?

AccaBoosty #636860 25/01/21 07:31 PM
Liverpool Legend
Liverpool Legend
Originally Posted By AccaBoosty
Williams and Phillips are emergency one match cover players only. If we were selling them at the start of the season they would have been way below the Ģ10m we got for Hoever. But we should have played both of them v Burnley or Man United to let Fabinho play midfield.

That is where we are suffering. Our midfield holds everything together and without certain players in their best positions we are finding TAA, Robbo and the front 3 really out of sorts. We can carry one or two through a couple of games but we cannot carry 3, 4 or 5 players off form.

For what it's worth Shaqiri, Origi and Ox have not exactly set the world alight given their chance.

No way. Though Fabinho is required in the midfield, playing those inexperienced and slow defenders would be a recipe for disaster, they cannot take any pressure neither, Rhys missed the ball 3 times yesterday and he is supposed to be better than Phillips

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  KopTalk Team 

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Advertisements
Liverpool FC Discussion