Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Liverpool Legend
OP Offline
Liverpool Legend
I desperately hope to be wrong and maybe it's the imagination

But not comfortable with mood music in last week.

Firstly I read Peter Moore LFC CEO had a lukewarm response from other premier league chairman last meeting re not voiding the season I read Sunday papers. Then there is the Dutch and French decision, now the UEFA medical adviser on today's news saying it will be dangerous to start before Aug / sept. Plus the UK government seems very cautious on relaxing the lockdown.

May be nothing but I did not like

Also we need to consider next season could be curtailed in event virus comes back or mutates. So for my mind no point in starting next season anyway may as well finish this

But I don't take the decisions unfortunately

Last edited by Stanley Park; 28/04/20 06:49 PM.

IF YOU WANT TO BE HEARD SPEAK SOFTLY - BOB PAISLEY
A
Under 23 Player
Under 23 Player
A
I couldn't agree more Stanley.

This could come back next year or any time and scupper season after season. We are in danger of following other leagues and countries down a blind alley here. It is no longer an issue about us winning the league or not winning he league but for completion of all 4 divisions so that it may restart a new season on merit. I don't want us to be awarded the title we need to earn it. But I also don't want to start a new season without us being the official title holders.

My other team is in line for a promotion to the Championship and having been one of a few teams in recent years to sell players on at huge profits may be ready to take on that challenge. A voided season puts all that to bed potentially.

J
Under 16 Player
Under 16 Player
J
I'm starting to get chills that everything will just get cancelled now. Nobody has any patience and they just want an answer now without waiting to see how things play out.

I completely agree that safety concerns come first but why jump to conclusions and just take options off the table too early.

It would be completely wrong to void this season only to try and start a new one in a few months time.

Not ideal and not what I want but I'm starting to think that we have to accept final positions as they are now. Surely having played 75% of a season is fairer than just pretending nothings happened.

Whatever does happen I don't see why we shouldn't be declared champions, there just can't be any dispute on that.

If we are denied it will be because of a technicality in the rules and nothing to do with sporting merit.

Liverpool Legend
Liverpool Legend
Originally Posted By Stanley Park
I desperately hope to be wrong and maybe it's the imagination

But not comfortable with mood music in last week.

Firstly I read Peter Moore LFC CEO had a lukewarm response from other premier league chairman last meeting re not voiding the season I read Sunday papers. Then there is the Dutch and French decision, now the UEFA medical adviser on today's news saying it will be dangerous to start before Aug / sept. Plus the UK government seems very cautious on relaxing the lockdown.

May be nothing but I did not like

Also we need to consider next season could be curtailed in event virus comes back or mutates. So for my mind no point in starting next season anyway may as well finish this

But I don't take the decisions unfortunately

I think we all here want this season to finish for obvious reasons, we'll see

Liverpool Legend
Liverpool Legend
Originally Posted By jim_beam
I'm starting to get chills that everything will just get cancelled now. Nobody has any patience and they just want an answer now without waiting to see how things play out.

I completely agree that safety concerns come first but why jump to conclusions and just take options off the table too early.

It would be completely wrong to void this season only to try and start a new one in a few months time.

Not ideal and not what I want but I'm starting to think that we have to accept final positions as they are now. Surely having played 75% of a season is fairer than just pretending nothings happened.

Whatever does happen I don't see why we shouldn't be declared champions, there just can't be any dispute on that.

If we are denied it will be because of a technicality in the rules and nothing to do with sporting merit.

Agree and who’s to say next season can start on time? Why waste this season for next that may not be able to go ahead anyway?

It’s been mentioned on here before about using some kind of average or computer predictions to determine the results of remaining games if they can’t restart. That would be much better than completely wasting a season that is three quarters done.

Liverpool Legend
OP Offline
Liverpool Legend
I think they should finish this season however long it takes be that 3 months or 3 years.

However I don't like some of the signals coming out lately. I also don't want us to be given the title without completing the season we will forever be title winners with an asterisk

IF YOU WANT TO BE HEARD SPEAK SOFTLY - BOB PAISLEY
E
1st Team Squad
1st Team Squad
E
Originally Posted By Stanley Park
I think they should finish this season however long it takes be that 3 months or 3 years.

However I don't like some of the signals coming out lately. I also don't want us to be given the title without completing the season we will forever be title winners with an asterisk

Yeah, we need to mathematically win it on the pitch, however we achieve that, anything else will just devalue it and we will be remembered as the team who never actually won it.

A
Under 23 Player
Under 23 Player
A
Originally Posted By wilkij1975

Agree and who’s to say next season can start on time? Why waste this season for next that may not be able to go ahead anyway?

It’s been mentioned on here before about using some kind of average or computer predictions to determine the results of remaining games if they can’t restart. That would be much better than completely wasting a season that is three quarters done.

Whilst I would like us to win the title on merit I really don't want that asterisk next to it. The problem with average points to award placings is that it does not reflect the remaining games left. A team just above the relegation spots could go into freefall if they have tough games left.

Also a team may average better points away from home than at home and have more away games than home games left to play. Then there is always that surprise result. We got beat by Watford 3-0. It happens. And because that happens it makes things unpredictable and unfortunately that could be what would lead to a void season.

J
Under 16 Player
Under 16 Player
J
Originally Posted By AccaBoosty
Originally Posted By wilkij1975

Whilst I would like us to win the title on merit I really don't want that asterisk next to it. The problem with average points to award placings is that it does not reflect the remaining games left. A team just above the relegation spots could go into freefall if they have tough games left.

Also a team may average better points away from home than at home and have more away games than home games left to play. Then there is always that surprise result. We got beat by Watford 3-0. It happens. And because that happens it makes things unpredictable and unfortunately that could be what would lead to a void season.

I'm still happy to wait and see but I think the reality may well be we either have a title with an asterisk or not at all. No good option is going to be fair on everyone but this might now be about how best to curtail the season. Personally I think the fairest way is ending the table as is rather than just wipe out the majority of a season.

Really as a Liverpool fan, whilst I empathize with every club at the moment I don't care what happens beneath us. One thing I do know is we have won the league however this finishes, I just don't want a load of bureaucrats denying us a title on what will essentially be a technicality.

Liverpool Legend
Liverpool Legend
Some kind of prediction software could be used to take into account form and opponents etc. Would be much better than just losing the whole season.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  KopTalk Team 

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Advertisements
Liverpool FC Discussion