Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Pickles Offline OP
1st Team Squad
OP Offline
1st Team Squad
Liverpool place some non-playing staff on furlough

The Premier League has been suspended indefinitely with Liverpool clear at the top

Premier League leaders Liverpool are the latest top-flight club to place some non-playing staff on temporary leave.

Staff affected will receive 80% of their salary through the government's job retention scheme and the club will make up the difference.

Newcastle, Tottenham, Bournemouth and Norwich have already announced they will furlough some non-playing staff.

The league is suspended indefinitely because of the coronavirus pandemic.

A Liverpool statement said: "Even prior to the decision on staff furloughing, there was a collective commitment at senior levels of the club - on and off the pitch - with everyone working towards a solution that secures jobs for employees of the club during this unprecedented crisis.

"There is ongoing active engagement about the topic of salary deductions during the period matches are not being played to schedule. These discussions are complex and as a result the process is ongoing."

There was criticism when Newcastle and Tottenham became the first Premier League clubs to announce they were placing non-playing staff on furlough.

Health secretary Matt Hancock said Premier League players should "take a pay cut and play their part" during the pandemic.

Since then, Premier League clubs have said they will ask players to take a 30% pay cut in order to protect jobs.

All 20 top-flight clubs have agreed to put the proposed "combination of conditional reductions and deferrals" to players, during a video conference call between the Premier League and players' union the Professional Footballers' Association on Saturday.

The Premier League has also said it would advance £125m to the EFL and National League, and give £20m towards the NHS.

Liverpool are 25 points clear at the top of the Premier League, needing two more wins to become English champions for the first time since 1989-90.

Their statement added: "While our priority from the outset has been to focus primarily on the health and wellbeing of our players, staff, supporters and local community, the club has also committed to playing as full a role as possible in the Premier League's ongoing response to the crisis.

"As such, we welcome yesterday's announcement from the Premier League which confirmed the provision of support for the National Health Service, the EFL and National League and a commitment for the 2019-20 season to resume only when it is safe to do so."

'Not feeling like a family member'

A member of staff who works at Liverpool, and did not wish to be named, told BBC Sport: "The club call their staff their family - I'm not feeling like a family member.

"Why is a club that turns over £100m using a government scheme for its staff when other businesses are more in need of it?

"I feel disappointed and I'm feeling that this government scheme could be used by businesses in trouble."

The member of stuff added that they were "disappointed, especially after Everton said they were not doing it".

Liverpool said they were aiming "to protect the best interests of the club and our staff in both the short term and the long term, with all such actions being undertaken following various internal discussions".

The statement continued: "In some instances, further measures will follow only once all parties are in a position to proceed and updates will be provided as and when this is the case."

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/52165826

Pickles Offline OP
1st Team Squad
OP Offline
1st Team Squad
It's moments like these that truly help us understand that we are Owned and run by Businessmen.

"Family", "This Means More" etc...etc... are strap lines used by The Club that have no meaning, but are created for $$$$$.

I'm really disappointed in FSG...I really thought we'd turned a corner with them.

A
Under 23 Player
Under 23 Player
A
I have to say my initial reaction is I feel very empty at this moment.

Would not be so bad if we were one of the last to do this but we are one of the few.

At the moment I have to say it is not a good advertisement for the club. Hopefully our owners will have a rethink about this.

Liverpool Legend
Liverpool Legend
Everton is the peoples club on Merseyside Everton's response has been outstanding. I am a lifelong Liverpool fan.

But LFC the club is simply a remote corporate monster Everton are still community centric.

IF YOU WANT TO BE HEARD SPEAK SOFTLY - BOB PAISLEY
Liverpool Legend
Liverpool Legend
Originally Posted By Pickles
Liverpool place some non-playing staff on furlough

The Premier League has been suspended indefinitely with Liverpool clear at the top

Premier League leaders Liverpool are the latest top-flight club to place some non-playing staff on temporary leave.

Staff affected will receive 80% of their salary through the government's job retention scheme and the club will make up the difference.

Newcastle, Tottenham, Bournemouth and Norwich have already announced they will furlough some non-playing staff.

The league is suspended indefinitely because of the coronavirus pandemic.

A Liverpool statement said: "Even prior to the decision on staff furloughing, there was a collective commitment at senior levels of the club - on and off the pitch - with everyone working towards a solution that secures jobs for employees of the club during this unprecedented crisis.

"There is ongoing active engagement about the topic of salary deductions during the period matches are not being played to schedule. These discussions are complex and as a result the process is ongoing."

There was criticism when Newcastle and Tottenham became the first Premier League clubs to announce they were placing non-playing staff on furlough.

Health secretary Matt Hancock said Premier League players should "take a pay cut and play their part" during the pandemic.

Since then, Premier League clubs have said they will ask players to take a 30% pay cut in order to protect jobs.

All 20 top-flight clubs have agreed to put the proposed "combination of conditional reductions and deferrals" to players, during a video conference call between the Premier League and players' union the Professional Footballers' Association on Saturday.

The Premier League has also said it would advance £125m to the EFL and National League, and give £20m towards the NHS.

Liverpool are 25 points clear at the top of the Premier League, needing two more wins to become English champions for the first time since 1989-90.

Their statement added: "While our priority from the outset has been to focus primarily on the health and wellbeing of our players, staff, supporters and local community, the club has also committed to playing as full a role as possible in the Premier League's ongoing response to the crisis.

"As such, we welcome yesterday's announcement from the Premier League which confirmed the provision of support for the National Health Service, the EFL and National League and a commitment for the 2019-20 season to resume only when it is safe to do so."

'Not feeling like a family member'

A member of staff who works at Liverpool, and did not wish to be named, told BBC Sport: "The club call their staff their family - I'm not feeling like a family member.

"Why is a club that turns over £100m using a government scheme for its staff when other businesses are more in need of it?

"I feel disappointed and I'm feeling that this government scheme could be used by businesses in trouble."

The member of stuff added that they were "disappointed, especially after Everton said they were not doing it".

Liverpool said they were aiming "to protect the best interests of the club and our staff in both the short term and the long term, with all such actions being undertaken following various internal discussions".

The statement continued: "In some instances, further measures will follow only once all parties are in a position to proceed and updates will be provided as and when this is the case."

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/52165826

Must say that I would have been surprised of something else from the club's American owners, just see how quickly so many people are claiming unemployment benefits in the US, hire and fire is part of the culture there.

Liverpool Legend
Liverpool Legend
My company are furloughing around half the workforce in the next week. I think they’ll rotate it so we all get a go so I’m happy for this scheme.

I’ve no problem with this as long as the players take a pay cut too. How can you justify this while still paying players £100k plus a week? That’s the problem.

P
Under 23 Player
Under 23 Player
P
They are an embarrassment to the club

Pickles Offline OP
1st Team Squad
OP Offline
1st Team Squad
Mike Ashley would have been the favourite in any bookies to have took any help from the Government, 1st...Tottenham have a shiny new stadium to pay for and with a fairly rancid season it's likely they could miss out on CL...but us? it's shameful.

Then you have the likes of Eddie Howe of Bournemouth and Potter at Brighton not even being asked but offering to go on substantially reduced wages earlier in the week.

I'm disgusted Klopp hasn't offered to take a wage cut and I'm disgusted at the players for not taking a wage cut to stop staff being furloughed.

Handouts are supposed to help the needy NOT the greedy!

E
1st Team Squad
1st Team Squad
E
Disappointing, all the messages we put out about being a club of the people, standing by the community and helping, but when it comes to cold hard cash, the hard faced business decision is made, for short term savings.

This could cause long term reputation damage for the club and lose allot of goodwill, we're making Man City look like a community focused club when all their money is derived from dodgy oil money with humanitarian issues... we could have at least hung on until more PL clubs had done the same, being lumped in with Mike Ashley & co isn't the great way to go.....

Liverpool Legend
Liverpool Legend
This is really not going down well and I think this could prove a serious PR issue for the club.

It's peanuts they are saving what was the club thinking of ?

IF YOU WANT TO BE HEARD SPEAK SOFTLY - BOB PAISLEY
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  KopTalk Team 

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Advertisements
Liverpool FC Discussion