Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
J
jboy Offline OP
Under 16 Player
OP Offline
Under 16 Player
J
The majority of the PL refs seem to be slightly old school and have gone through their heyday in a different era when different rules applied.Every season UEFA tinkers with the rules or adds new ones and I feel that if the FA kept the best of the older refs and brought in a new generation of refs who would be more capable of understanding this generations rules(I've supported LFC for 40 years so I'm no snowflake).An example being Origi getting fouled:in Atkinsons heyday it probably wasn't a foul but under todays rules it most definitely is.Also I don't know whether it's ego or they have been instructed not to but they all need comprehensive training on VAR and it's useage(?).In addition to this we didn't turn up yesterday and it does show we are banjaxed if the forward line picks up injuries.Where is Shaquiri?

1st Team Squad
1st Team Squad
The problems and inconsistencies of VAR and it's use in the PL rest squarely on the shoulders of Mike Riley (Managing Director) of PGMOL. Each week we are treated to bizarre and unfathomable decisions by Referees under his tutelage/direction...there seems to be a huge chasm of difference between the use of VAR in the PL and everywhere else in the World and on the Internationals stage.

I find it bizarre that those in the VAR studio cannot instruct the Referee to review a decision when they have the tools there in front of them and the referee only has one set of eyes. Assistant referees are becoming more obsolete each passing game because they only put their flag up in the most certain of situations and do not consult with the referee. There seems to be a push back by the dinosaurs at PGMOL on VAR and it's ruining the game.

I would suggest that the VAR studio should take precedence over the Referee and the moment they see a decision on the several sets of eyes via their tv screens (rather than the one set of eyes of the ref) they have the ability to stop the game to review a decision. It may take longer but we will have more consistency and fairness.

1st Team Squad
1st Team Squad
If they are worried about the timescales to review, then maybe they can use another option of giving each team 3 reviews per half like they do in cricket or NFL?

Liverpool Legend
Liverpool Legend
Originally Posted By Pickles
The problems and inconsistencies of VAR and it's use in the PL rest squarely on the shoulders of Mike Riley (Managing Director) of PGMOL. Each week we are treated to bizarre and unfathomable decisions by Referees under his tutelage/direction...there seems to be a huge chasm of difference between the use of VAR in the PL and everywhere else in the World and on the Internationals stage.

I find it bizarre that those in the VAR studio cannot instruct the Referee to review a decision when they have the tools there in front of them and the referee only has one set of eyes. Assistant referees are becoming more obsolete each passing game because they only put their flag up in the most certain of situations and do not consult with the referee. There seems to be a push back by the dinosaurs at PGMOL on VAR and it's ruining the game.

I would suggest that the VAR studio should take precedence over the Referee and the moment they see a decision on the several sets of eyes via their tv screens (rather than the one set of eyes of the ref) they have the ability to stop the game to review a decision. It may take longer but we will have more consistency and fairness.

The VAR refs just have to tell the ref to check his screen if they think that there might have been a controversial decision. I just don't understand why no refree has checked on the screen, I even thought it was not available in the EPL until I found our in the week end that it was there. It's done everywhere like that so wtf?

A
Under 23 Player
Under 23 Player
A
If they are worried about the timescales to review, then maybe they can use another option of giving each team 3 reviews per half like they do in cricket or NFL?

We were talking about this at home. The use of a review (maybe 3 per match per team) for certain events seems a good idea. However if the ruling of not clear and obvious stays in the equation it would be absolutely pointless.

I like the reviews in cricket and tennis has challenges and in those sports it clearly works. In Rugby League it is even better. If the referee thinks he has seen something he can ask for a video referee to back up what he thinks he may have seen. This allows the referee to not only make the right decision but also show his skills of knowledge of the game and the rules.

At the moment we don't have a referee with balls to change his mind. This can even help with this stupid handball ruling. Commonsense will never prevail though because somebody somewhere won't be happy.

Liverpool Legend
Liverpool Legend

I blame Achterberg.

Liverpool Legend
Liverpool Legend
Unless we get consistency and the right decisions they should just drop it as there’s no point.

V
1st Team Squad
1st Team Squad
V
Exactly!

Why have a TV Screen set up for the refs and then instruct them to not use it because they will then disturb the thythm of the game?

Use it full hilt or take it out. No other way to treat this issue IMO.

Last edited by van Gogh; 22/10/19 08:42 PM.
E
1st Team Squad
1st Team Squad
E
Originally Posted By van Gogh
Exactly!

Why have a TV Screen set up for the refs and then instruct them to not use it because they will then disturb the thythm of the game?

Use it full hilt or take it out. No other way to treat this issue IMO.

Seems the English Refs have boxed themselves into a corner by saying they would not use the pitch side monitors, it is used successfully in Europe, so I do not see why? I get the feeling that the VAR ref does not want to overrule the on pitch ref, so the on pitch ref using the monitor seems the best answer, the time it takes VAR to decide, there is plenty of time for the ref to jog over to the monitor.

R
Under 23 Player
Under 23 Player
R
I'm split on VAR. It does at least correct glaring misses by the ref but I also liked the controveries before, which even out over the season.

Worst thing for me is I barely celebrate unless it's a clear goal. After Mane's at the Toilet was ruled out (correctly), I sat perfectly still when Lallana scored, waiting for the the review.

Of course on the flip side the Spurs/City CL Q-final was incredible.

3 per team is a good call.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  KopTalk Team 

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Advertisements
Liverpool FC Discussion