Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 7 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Under 23 Player
Under 23 Player
Originally Posted By TrueRed
Originally Posted By Chris2402
For example, there's no way Man U would have sold Couthino. They would have bought in to complement his presence, not cashed in.

Why did they sell Ronaldo at the peak of his powers then?

Like Beckham before him, Ronaldo wanted off and there was nothing United could do about it. As I mentioned many times on this forum at the time. We never even tried to keep Couthino. F$G wanted the cash

Liverpool Legend
Liverpool Legend
For example, there's no way Man U would have sold Couthino. They would have bought in to complement his presence, not cashed in.

Like Beckham before him, Ronaldo wanted off and there was nothing United could do about it. As I mentioned many times on this forum at the time. We never even tried to keep Couthino. F$G wanted the cash

Coutinho made it very clear that he wanted to play for his dream club Barca, I understood we offered him a new contract with higher wages which he refused.

S
swapshop
Unregistered
swapshop
Unregistered
S

Like Bekham before him, Ronaldo wanted off and there was nothing United could do about it. Sounds familiar doesn't it?
you trying to compare United selling there best player to when we sell ours...surely not...

Liverpool Legend
Liverpool Legend

Are you saying that Coutinho didn't want to go?

S
swapshop
Unregistered
swapshop
Unregistered
S
United have no real history of selling their best players, can only think of Ronaldo, some might say Beckham but for me he was on his way down when he was sold, can't think of Chelsea selling their best players and I know Man City would never entertain it, we on the other hand have sold about half a dozen over the years...

Liverpool Legend
Liverpool Legend
Originally Posted By swapshop
United have no real history of selling their best players, can only think of Ronaldo, some might say Beckham but for me he was on his way down when he was sold, can't think of Chelsea selling their best players and I know Man City would never entertain it, we on the other hand have sold about half a dozen over the years...

Over decades I would say, Keegan, Rush, Mc Manaman (went free) Owen. So for somebody like you who seems to be a living dead when it comes to LFC history, I would expect better.

C
1st Team Squad
1st Team Squad
C

Like Bekham before him, Ronaldo wanted off and there was nothing United could do about it. Sounds familiar doesn't it?

Coutinho wanted to leave in the Summer, we retained him until January. If Utd could do nothing to prevent Ronaldo leaving, why isn't it the same for us and Coutinho? (He was desperate to get him dream move to Barca, same as Ronaldo and Real Madrid)

I don't understand how you can say Man Utd wouldn't have sold him!

1st Team Squad
1st Team Squad
Originally Posted By TheMightyLFC
Originally Posted By redordead13
He was at the club for 27 years, which is almost as long as the Shanks, Paisley, Fagan, and Dalglish years all rolled together. He won 13 league titles, 5 FA cups, 2 Champions Leagues, 4 league cups, a cup winners cup and loads of other stuff (38 trophies in 27 years). He knocked us off out perch and oversaw one of the most impressive production lines of young local talent, many of whom are among the greatest to ever play for United or England. To me, that is a dynasty, as much as it sticks in my throat.

I still say Paisley is the greatest to ever manage in England period, but there is definitely an argument to be made for Ferguson. The legacy he has had on nurturing players (many of whom became managers), the innovation, and the fact that he was able to stay on top throughout the cycles of so many other great managers of the league (Dalglish, Clough, Wenger, Mourinho, Benitez) is incredibly impressive. And despite his spats with many of them, there is a level of respect with which he speaks of them and vice versa that I see that I don't see with Mourinho. Fergie was a [oops], but Jose isn't fit to wipe his boots.

Maybe we just have a different interpretation of the word dynasty. What you've described is still not a dynasty to me.

'He knocked us off our perch'. Nonsense. You've fallen for the myth that he himself has probably peddled through the media. We had already faded before he won his first title. In fact, two other teams won the league after our last title and before their first one.

'Production line of young local talent'. Really? There was one batch.

He only 'respected' other managers when they weren't a threat. Whenever they were a threat he was very disrespectful and used his friends at other clubs and probably in the media too to put the boot in as well.

27 years at the richest club in the country and perhaps the biggest club in the world.... and only 2 champions league titles.

Of course, in terms of the league and domestic trophies he served himself and his club very well. But in my opinion he was just like Mourinho... just smarter and more sly in the way he went about it.

Only 2 Champions League Titles? What a silly thing to say. Only Ancelotti and Paisely have won more.

Knocking us off our Perch isn't pipping us to a league title. Leeds, Arsenal, Blackburn, these lot never eclipsed us. Knocking us off our perch was overtaking our League Title count, our trophy count, and our status as biggest club in England. Our own mistakes contributed to that, but even as we declined, we were the bigger club before Ferguson.

Most of the riches the club has to day are the result of Fergie's success too. They were an institution, sure, but they were flirting with relegation the year before he arrived, and they hadn't won a league title since 67 before him.

He is a pr*ck and I won't argue about that. But he isn't a little snot like Jose is, and he's done a long-term transformation job that Jose never could.

T
Under 23 Player
Under 23 Player
T
Originally Posted By redordead13
Only 2 Champions League Titles? What a silly thing to say. Only Ancelotti and Paisely have won more.

Knocking us off our Perch isn't pipping us to a league title. Leeds, Arsenal, Blackburn, these lot never eclipsed us. Knocking us off our perch was overtaking our League Title count, our trophy count, and our status as biggest club in England. Our own mistakes contributed to that, but even as we declined, we were the bigger club before Ferguson.

Most of the riches the club has to day are the result of Fergie's success too. They were an institution, sure, but they were flirting with relegation the year before he arrived, and they hadn't won a league title since 67 before him.

He is a pr*ck and I won't argue about that. But he isn't a little snot like Jose is, and he's done a long-term transformation job that Jose never could.

I said only 2 Cl 'in 27 years' ... context is importnat. For the richest club in the world that's quite poor... I don't think that's a silly thing to say at all - it's an opinion.

'Knocking us off our perch' - again it's a definition issue. Of course those other teams didn't do it individually. My point is that it wasn't Fergie who put us under pressure and out did us thereby replacing us as the top team in the country. We ourselves had already reached the end of an era and had faded. We had already fallen off our perch. Fergie's team were on the up and esp when the PL was formed and the TV deal arrived, they were in poll position to take full advantage.

We were never the bigger club in terms of finance or support base as far as I'm aware. They were always the bigger club in that respect.

Also, of course Fergie had a big part to play. However, in my opinion, other factors were perhaps equally significant - finance being the key.

I suppose we'll just have to disagee on some thinsgs.

'I was only in the game for the love of football - and I wanted to bring back happiness to the people of Liverpool.' Bill Shankly

'We should have made a signing or two in the last couple of transfer windows.' Vish
S
swapshop
Unregistered
swapshop
Unregistered
S
I think we contributed to our own downfall as well as The Fergie factor...we took our eye off the ball....let the grass grow under our feet...allowed our rivals to catch up then overtake us and basically became complacent...because we had success for so long we all thought it would always be their and took it for granted....Big Mistake we have found to our cost...

Page 7 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  KopTalk Team 

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Advertisements
Liverpool FC Discussion