Rate Thread
Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
ecnirp98 #597942 09/03/18 02:41 PM
Under 23 Player
Under 23 Player
Originally Posted By ecnirp98
Originally Posted By TrueRed
[quote=ecnirp98][quote=TrueRed][quote=*** Suso ***]
The irony is that I don't think he will be tested in these kind of games. We know Maureen will park the bus, so there will only be a handful of shots on target from Man U.

Yes, Karius has made some good saves but nothing more than what I would expect from a keeper of ours. Let's be honest, it's not hard for Karius to impress considering how low his own 'bar' level was when he first came into the team.

Like you said. What we really need more games where the 'new' Karius has proved himself to been the difference between us winning or loosing because he hasn't had that many games so far.

I personally think Karius cost us the Spurs game when Eriksen's cross from the left was palmed clear by him into the path of Wanyama.

But that's football I guess.

Yeah, Wanyama's shot was abit special to be fair, but I agree about not pushing it out.

My concern is we are going to commit to Karius next season if he does well for 9 games, which could really affect next season if he loses confidence again, If we're going for the title, I think we need a quality proven keeper over a few seasons, Karius can be number 2 for the future.

Look at how ruthless Pep was with his keepers, he binned off Hart much to the shock our press for the England keeper, then bought a replacement he knew from Barca, binned him off for a better keeper in Edison, now they have a top keeper helping them win the PL, so we need to show the same attitude.

I completely agree., I couldn't have put it better myself.

TrueRed #597946 09/03/18 03:35 PM
1st Team Squad
1st Team Squad
Originally Posted By Chris2402

I personally think Karius cost us the Spurs game when Eriksen's cross from the left was palmed clear by him into the path of Wanyama.

Extremely harsh. He saved a penalty and made a crucial save from Son when he was clean through in that game.

The Wanyama hit was a one in a thousand but if you want to blame someone it should be Oxlade-Chamberlain who ducked out of challenging Wanyama as he approached the ball to strike it. If Ox had leaned in to him or even tried to put him off, it wouldn't have gone in.

Pen's are 50/50. Saving one is luck.

Palming the cross was a judgement of error, a mistake that cost a goal and 2 points. Good keepers don't palm crosses into the box.

That's not true. It's about reflexes, agility, and doing your homework. It's the hardest thing a keeper can do, and he's quite good at it.

And the clearance is not how you make it out at all. Watch it again. Firstly, it was a strong clearance that cleared the box. Secondly, it made it to a Liverpool player first: Can. Can had time, but he either miscontrolled it or decided to flick it behind himself without looking. Either way, it's Can's error, and the shot was 30 yards out and an absolute screamer.

His penalty save kept us in that game, it was our backline panicking and the ref's questionable decisions that cost us.

Last edited by redordead13; 09/03/18 03:35 PM.
TrueRed #597950 09/03/18 04:19 PM
C
1st Team Squad
1st Team Squad
C

Palming the cross was a judgement of error, a mistake that cost a goal and 2 points. Good keepers don't palm crosses into the box.

Saving a penalty isn't luck, especially to not move and predict that the striker is going to shoot down the middle of the goal, which is what happened.

I'm not sure how you've worked out that this 'mistake' cost us 2 points. Spurs got 2 penalties after the Wanyama equaliser.

He also didn't palm the ball into the box, it cleared the area with ease.

dipper #597959 09/03/18 05:37 PM
Liverpool Legend
Liverpool Legend
I used to stand ever so slightly right of center giving the pen taker a bigger target to my better diving side,amazing how many times it worked.

That job interview was going so well until I realized I was fukked up on acid in the middle of a cornfield naked and talking to a scarecrow.
L
Under 16 Player
Under 16 Player
L
Originally Posted By *** Suso ***
Originally Posted By Liverotto
Originally Posted By TiredReds
[quote=Liverotto][quote=redordead13][quote=Stanley Park]

Was that for more than one season? I think he was the 2nd best GK after Neuer the season before he joined us, but for how many seasons has he been at that level?

He is just 24 even now but he have played for 3 seasons in bundesliga before he joined us.

He was one of the most promising goalkeeper before he joined us. He had quite good performance in his three seasons. (Actually, you can tell, no one would give him the number 1 position at 20 if he was not good, right?) He was consider one of the most promising goalkeeper in bundesliga long before his last season at Mainz.

Besides, may be someone may think he saved Kane's goal just by luck, he actually has a very high penalty saving rate, I believed it is over 34% and it ranked as 16 or 17 highest in Europe. And he has a very low errors led to goals ratio in bundesliga too.

Sometimes, I think it is amazing that as a lot of people wrote him off by merely judging his performance of 10 games (Yes, he just played for 10 games last season and every one said he is shxt and cant perform) that he played for us last season.

Come on, he is very young as a goalkeeper and he came to a club with great pressure like us and also need to adapt a much more physical style of play. Also, he get injured in the pre-season when he joined us which I supposed may affect his form.

He is getting the confidence right now and you can clearly see the potential in him. I believe we should give him more time to settle.
thanks for that . makes me feel a little better about his chances. would you say he has gone backwards in terms of ability?

I wont say his ability gone backwards, but sometimes, being in a new league, playing with new teammates, people around you questioning your abilities and affecting your confidence, playing with a bigger club with more expectations and pressure, being get back from injured, all of the above will affect the performance of a goalkeeper.

Chris2402 #598021 10/03/18 05:45 AM
L
Under 16 Player
Under 16 Player
L

Saving a penalty isn't luck, especially to not move and predict that the striker is going to shoot down the middle of the goal, which is what happened.

I'm not sure how you've worked out that this 'mistake' cost us 2 points. Spurs got 2 penalties after the Wanyama equaliser.

Yes, expecially he had a overall above 34% penalty saving rate in his entire careers (with 20+ saving attempts).
I think if it is just because of luck, then he is really a very lucky guy.

TrueRed #598022 10/03/18 05:48 AM
L
Under 16 Player
Under 16 Player
L
[quote=ecnirp98][quote=TrueRed][quote=*** Suso ***][quote=ecnirp98]

The irony is that I don't think he will be tested in these kind of games. We know Maureen will park the bus, so there will only be a handful of shots on target from Man U.

Yes, Karius has made some good saves but nothing more than what I would expect from a keeper of ours. Let's be honest, it's not hard for Karius to impress considering how low his own 'bar' level was when he first came into the team.

Like you said. What we really need more games where the 'new' Karius has proved himself to been the difference between us winning or loosing because he hasn't had that many games so far.

He hasnt been tested?

How about those shots made by Arnatuvic?
The shot made by Diame?
The penalty shots by Kane?

Are you saying that all those are easy saves?

Besides, you still didnt tell us what are those failings in Porto games.

dipper #598069 10/03/18 01:25 PM
A
Under 23 Player
Under 23 Player
A
I think he has improved tremendously. But until we win 1-0 away at Scumchester or Chelsea and he is clearly MOTM we will never really know.
If he plays well until end of season and we go a bit further in CL then spending £60m on a new keeper who could take half a dozen or more games to bed in is a massive gamble.
However I think Klopp knows the answer already. It is so easy to unsettle a keeper. Look at Joe Hart and Mignolet for example. And Cech looks rubbish with the dodgy Arsenal back 4. I
On the other side of the coin is bigging up your keeper at every opportunity. De Gea worth 10points a season on his own. Looks not far behind. Karius and the lad at City probably look good due to the defence in front of them.
Our goalkeeper doesn't have to be a world beater but has to have belief in himself to perform well every week. We haven't had that for a long long time.

Chris2402 #598114 10/03/18 06:56 PM
Under 23 Player
Under 23 Player

OK, I was being way too generous. Saving a pen is not 50/50, probably 30/70 meaning a keeper will, on average, save 3 in 10 at most in the modern game, regardless of what research they do. You obviously disagree but to me, saving a pen with these odds is blind luck ! #imnoracistvish

Last edited by TrueRed; 10/03/18 06:59 PM.
Liverotto #598115 10/03/18 07:03 PM
Under 23 Player
Under 23 Player
Originally Posted By Liverotto
[quote=ecnirp98][quote=TrueRed][quote=*** Suso ***][quote=ecnirp98]

He hasnt been tested?

How about those shots made by Arnatuvic?
The shot made by Diame?
The penalty shots by Kane?

Are you saying that all those are easy saves?

Besides, you still didnt tell us what are those failings in Porto games.

What's the point? More chance of hezbollha holding a barmittzpha than convincing you of anything I have to say. #imnoracistvish

Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  KopTalk Team 

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Advertisements
Liverpool FC Discussion