Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Liverpool Legend
Liverpool Legend
Originally Posted By Stanley Park
It's a thing now banded about like confetti we all have our own ideas what it means. The British law is clear racisim is anything perceived to be racism by the victim or I think also by a third party. Which is pretty open ended you think it is and it is.

So I would like to hear what other posters believe racism is.

My own opinion is where you overtly discriminate because of the colour of their skin (any skin) for white people can be victims of racism and in today's world very often are. It also needs to be identifiable otherwise surpious claims can be made and the law is weak. Which I think it is and in today's world needs to be amended

However that is just my opinion how do you see it ?

Racism for me is when a person of a certain race/religion/citizenship/caste considers people of a different race/religion/citizenship/caste inferior, only because of their differences. Black slavery by white people was racism because white people considered themselves superior to the black. There are people who were enslaved after being made prisoners of war for example, this was not racist if them being made slaves didn't have anything to do with the person's race.

I would add, racism is not only about colour of skin, for example, if a UK citizen thinks he is superior to a polish, despite both being white, is racism to me. The Nazis considered themselves superior to the East Europeans and Jews, even white, this was racism.

The British Empire was based in racism as it considered all the natives of its colonies inferior.

Last edited by TiredReds; 10/02/18 07:09 PM.
S
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular
S
Originally Posted By Shaggydog
If you read my orginal post I put a definition of what I believed racism was I also stated I was highly confused. Now you are constantly accusing various people of racisim shaggy so I presume you know what it is and are ideally placed to clear up the confusion

Well Stan it's a simple question. The only people I have mentioned so far in relation to racism is white men who took black men from Africa and sold as slaves. I then asked if you considered the American slave trade to have been racist.

It was definitely racist but what's that got to do with present day and our society where the issues are much more complex and racism can mean no more than you don't like the person.

Just trying to establish a shared starting point. Because there were many Americans who found owning slaves entirely acceptable and indeed fought to preserve that right.

On another point Britain's role in the abolition of slavery is something of which British people should be hugely proud.

Modern racism is indeed complex and there are some who are quick to play the race card. In many instances people are terrified at times of appearing to be racist when they don't have a racist bone in their body.

We have all at one time or another heard racist chanting at football games but thankfully that is a rarity these days.

Racists now are much cleverer than they were previously and what I have always found interesting is that racists seem to go to great lengths to deny their racism.

Liverpool Legend
Liverpool Legend
My cats black.

That job interview was going so well until I realized I was fukked up on acid in the middle of a cornfield naked and talking to a scarecrow.
lumba #595020 10/02/18 07:44 PM
S
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular
S
Originally Posted By lumba
My cats black.

Yeah but he rules your life

Liverpool Legend
Liverpool Legend
I do wait on him hand and foot and don't get paid.

That job interview was going so well until I realized I was fukked up on acid in the middle of a cornfield naked and talking to a scarecrow.
Liverpool Legend
Liverpool Legend
Racism is born out of fear and ignorance.

lumba #595034 10/02/18 08:41 PM
Liverpool Legend
OP Offline
Liverpool Legend
My cats black.

My cats black and white but very racist to mice and birds

IF YOU WANT TO BE HEARD SPEAK SOFTLY - BOB PAISLEY
Liverpool Legend
Liverpool Legend
My cats black.

My cats black and white but very racist to mice and birds

lumba #595047 10/02/18 09:17 PM
Liverpool Legend
OP Offline
Liverpool Legend
Is wanting your government to control your countries borders racist ? Are the only non racists those who believe in open borders to anyone ?

IF YOU WANT TO BE HEARD SPEAK SOFTLY - BOB PAISLEY
Liverpool Legend
Liverpool Legend
Not at all.

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  KopTalk Team 

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Advertisements
Liverpool FC Discussion