Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Liverpool Legend
Liverpool Legend
Originally Posted By ecnirp98
Klopp was not fighting to keep Coutinho at the time, I think he was ok with him leaving as he did not really fit his system, he did not press, well he often took long shots rather than passing and the players always seemed to pass to him 'as the inspiration' when they were lacking ideas/confidence, so he became a funnel that could be blocked by the opposition.

That is not having a go at Coutinho, he was a tremendous player for us, but I do not think he fitted Klopp's system, so it made sense to sell at the crazy price.

Gerrard knows him well and will get the most out of him, but Villa can carry him as a star player maverick type, like they did with Grealish, Klopp's system does not allow for that, we had the same issue with Shaq, so I am guessing that is why we did not sign him.

I would rather we used the money to buy and up and coming player, we have far too many players around 29-32, someone like Ismaïla Sarr when he is back to fitness.

Who talked about buying him, the question is, could he have done a job for us for a few months? Of course yes, he is better than Ox, Minamino for sure and even better than....not having any newcomer. As for not fitting Klopp's system, that's nonsense, else he would have left 6 months earlier

J
Under 16 Player
Under 16 Player
J
Originally Posted By EnergisedReds
Originally Posted By ecnirp98
Klopp was not fighting to keep Coutinho at the time, I think he was ok with him leaving as he did not really fit his system, he did not press, well he often took long shots rather than passing and the players always seemed to pass to him 'as the inspiration' when they were lacking ideas/confidence, so he became a funnel that could be blocked by the opposition.

That is not having a go at Coutinho, he was a tremendous player for us, but I do not think he fitted Klopp's system, so it made sense to sell at the crazy price.

Gerrard knows him well and will get the most out of him, but Villa can carry him as a star player maverick type, like they did with Grealish, Klopp's system does not allow for that, we had the same issue with Shaq, so I am guessing that is why we did not sign him.

I would rather we used the money to buy and up and coming player, we have far too many players around 29-32, someone like Ismaïla Sarr when he is back to fitness.

Who talked about buying him, the question is, could he have done a job for us for a few months? Of course yes, he is better than Ox, Minamino for sure and even better than....not having any newcomer. As for not fitting Klopp's system, that's nonsense, else he would have left 6 months earlier

Yes exactly, I also agree I don't see him as a regular playing all the time but there are important targeted games where we may now only be 4-5 points behind City rather than how much it is now.

Liverpool Legend
Liverpool Legend
Great player but lost his way yes he made the difference in 20 minutes but that’s hardly a fair trial let’s see how he does for rest of season.

I hope he does well we will see

IF YOU WANT TO BE HEARD SPEAK SOFTLY - BOB PAISLEY
1st Team Squad
1st Team Squad
One cameo sub appearance against probably the worst Man Utd team in 3 decades, does not make Coutinho a missed opportunity.

I remember his severe lack of loyalty and him effectively going on strike, trying to push a move to Barcelona on the cheap. I remember his phantom back injury at a time we needed him.

We have evolved much better without him and as somebody stated he is a player that would be marked out of games quite easily making his impact negligible.

We need more dynamic younger players for our squad, especially for the middle. The more I see of Maddison from Leicester the more I believe we are crying out for a player of his abilities.
He's just turned 25 and he'll end up soon enough at the likes of Citeh, Chelsea, Utd or Newcastle.

Liverpool Legend
Liverpool Legend
Originally Posted By Pickles
One cameo sub appearance against probably the worst Man Utd team in 3 decades, does not make Coutinho a missed opportunity.

I remember his severe lack of loyalty and him effectively going on strike, trying to push a move to Barcelona on the cheap. I remember his phantom back injury at a time we needed him.

We have evolved much better without him and as somebody stated he is a player that would be marked out of games quite easily making his impact negligible.

We need more dynamic younger players for our squad, especially for the middle. The more I see of Maddison from Leicester the more I believe we are crying out for a player of his abilities.
He's just turned 25 and he'll end up soon enough at the likes of Citeh, Chelsea, Utd or Newcastle.

Difference is Madisson will cost a bomb if ever Leicester agree to sell, unlike Coutinho who was available cheaply for at least the second half of the season in a position we need cover if not a first team player. Instead of comparing him to Madisson you should rather compare to Minamino and Ox. Whether we were going to buy him or not afterwards is not even a discussion, we would have had the option to decide.

A
Under 23 Player
Under 23 Player
A

Spot on with the worst United side in 3 decades comment. Actually probably longer than that if you look at how much effort they don't put in. I think Villa were unlucky in the cup against them last week and totally outplayed them for large parts of the game yesterday. For all their superiority they got one draw out of two games. With a bit of luck Villa would have won both games easily. Had we been playing them ourselves again this week I am pretty sure we would have stuck 5 past them again.

They really are a poor side.

I don't see Coutinho as a missed opportunity although I do see having Thiago as a playmaker a bit of a waste.

We don't have that player that can unlock a defence. City probably have 3 or 4 but no striker of any note. Proof that you can't have everything perhaps. I thought Maddison was going to be the answer a year or so ago but I am not so sure now. I think there was a reason why he wasn't being picked earlier this season and it is probably the same reason that has seen others overtake him for an England squad place.

I think Bowen at West Ham is a better option. He played a bit deeper I thought v Leeds yesterday and still had a good game. I know it's a different position but he is a grafter and can press as well.

Liverpool Legend
Liverpool Legend
Originally Posted By AccaBoosty

Spot on with the worst United side in 3 decades comment. Actually probably longer than that if you look at how much effort they don't put in. I think Villa were unlucky in the cup against them last week and totally outplayed them for large parts of the game yesterday. For all their superiority they got one draw out of two games. With a bit of luck Villa would have won both games easily. Had we been playing them ourselves again this week I am pretty sure we would have stuck 5 past them again.

They really are a poor side.

I don't see Coutinho as a missed opportunity although I do see having Thiago as a playmaker a bit of a waste.

We don't have that player that can unlock a defence. City probably have 3 or 4 but no striker of any note. Proof that you can't have everything perhaps. I thought Maddison was going to be the answer a year or so ago but I am not so sure now. I think there was a reason why he wasn't being picked earlier this season and it is probably the same reason that has seen others overtake him for an England squad place.

I think Bowen at West Ham is a better option. He played a bit deeper I thought v Leeds yesterday and still had a good game. I know it's a different position but he is a grafter and can press as well.

You can rest assured we won't get Bowen or anybody else in this window, this is why a Coutinho loan would have been good. Anyway, maybe we don't need any new faces to finish at least 4th this season, that's the most important

T
Under 18 Player
OP Offline
Under 18 Player
T
I think Klopp is more interested in Tielemans...

Difference is Madisson will cost a bomb if ever Leicester agree to sell, unlike Coutinho who was available cheaply for at least the second half of the season in a position we need cover if not a first team player. Instead of comparing him to Madisson you should rather compare to Minamino and Ox. Whether we were going to buy him or not afterwards is not even a discussion, we would have had the option to decide.

Liverpool Legend
Liverpool Legend
Originally Posted By The Kop Prophet
I think Klopp is more interested in Tielemans...

He can be as interested as he wants but he has no money to bring anybody. I have a feeling Salah will be sold this summer to have funds to buy other players

1st Team Squad
1st Team Squad
[/quote]He can be as interested as he wants but he has no money to bring anybody. I have a feeling Salah will be sold this summer to have funds to buy other players

Now that would be a hard sell from the club to the fans. There'll be a mutiny the likes they've never experienced before, even bigger than the intended ticket price hikes and the breakaway Super League.

Salah has stated several times he wants to end his career at Liverpool. As far as I'm aware he never rocks the boat regarding wanting to go anywhere else unlike previous players...Coutinho, Suarez or Torres.

There'd be no excusing FSG selling Salah unless they were bringing in somebody like Mbappe to replace him.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  KopTalk Team 

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Advertisements
Liverpool FC Discussion