Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 17 1 2 3 4 16 17
Liverpool Legend
Liverpool Legend
Originally Posted By Stanley Park
The commission are the equivalent of the EU government they might be elected of the leaders of the countries but they are not elected by the public. And how the single candidate is chosen is a mystery to the public. I would also bet 99% of the public could not even name the leader of the EU, I would also bet 99% could not even name their MEP I take a high interest in politics and I could not name my MEP nor I am aware of anything the MEP has done. I don't doubt he or she works hard but they are entirely detached from the public gaze. That's not Democracy and I doubt the good people of Mauritius would tolerate being ruled like that

2 things there, in a number of countries the government is not elected directly by the public, for example US, France where you don't need to be an MP to be a minister. In UK and Mauritius, all ministers have to be elected as MP first and to be honest, I think this is not always good, sometimes I would prefer to have an expert economist as our finance minister for example. So saying the EU is undemocratic because of that would mean that France and the US are undemocratic as well.

Also, if the public don't know their MEP, who is to blame, the public or the EU? In any case, for a number of decisions unanimous agreement is required by the country governments, like for example trade deals or other major decisions.

Liverpool Legend
Liverpool Legend
Originally Posted By wilkij1975
Well the Lib Dem’s are definitely out for me after their announcement yesterday. The arrogance to cancel brexit without asking us again is breathtaking.

To be fair at least they are honest they are undemocratic. Much of the rest of parliment pretends to respect the publics verdict while behind the scenes plotting to overturn the publics vote

IF YOU WANT TO BE HEARD SPEAK SOFTLY - BOB PAISLEY
Liverpool Legend
Liverpool Legend
Originally Posted By EnergisedReds
The commission are the equivalent of the EU government they might be elected of the leaders of the countries but they are not elected by the public. And how the single candidate is chosen is a mystery to the public. I would also bet 99% of the public could not even name the leader of the EU, I would also bet 99% could not even name their MEP I take a high interest in politics and I could not name my MEP nor I am aware of anything the MEP has done. I don't doubt he or she works hard but they are entirely detached from the public gaze. That's not Democracy and I doubt the good people of Mauritius would tolerate being ruled like that

2 things there, in a number of countries the government is not elected directly by the public, for example US, France where you don't need to be an MP to be a minister. In UK and Mauritius, all ministers have to be elected as MP first and to be honest, I think this is not always good, sometimes I would prefer to have an expert economist as our finance minister for example. So saying the EU is undemocratic because of that would mean that France and the US are undemocratic as well.

Also, if the public don't know their MEP, who is to blame, the public or the EU? In any case, for a number of decisions unanimous agreement is required by the country governments, like for example trade deals or other major decisions.

If I said I want Mauritius to be ruled by the UK we will provide lots of benefits. I am guessing you would reject that ? Then why are you so opposed to the British people having freedom we voted to leave the EU yet you would overturn that. Don't you feel there is a degree of hypocracy there ?

Liverpool Legend
Liverpool Legend
Originally Posted By EnergisedReds

If I said I want Mauritius to be ruled by the UK we will provide lots of benefits. I am guessing you would reject that ? Then why are you so opposed to the British people having freedom we voted to leave the EU yet you would overturn that. Don't you feel there is a degree of hypocracy there ?

I would accept it if I am part of UK and I have same rights as UK citizens and a big part of the decision making process, especially if I am one of the countries having the biggest influence on decisions.

I'll give you an example, the closest island to Mauritius is an island called Reunion, in fact it's at a 30 mins flight and has a population of less than 1 million. It is a French territory (not colony) basically a part of France where they use the EURO, yes 12000kms from France. Do they feel they are ruled by France? Don't think so, because they feel they are part of it. Do you think people in Gibraltar feel they are ruled by UK or the EU? Definitely not and I don't understand why you feel that way.

Liverpool Legend
Liverpool Legend
That's fine Vish and that's your opinion we're you a UK citizen you would be a europhile

However I have a different opinion and in the UK we vote occasionally on major matters of Democracy and we used to accept the will of the majority. I am not sure that's the case anymore. In which case one of the oldest Democracies in the world is under threat.

I agree parliament could stop brexit by plotting etc however I believe that will never be accepted by the public. Not just brexiteers either many remainers who although believing brexit will be bad for Britain understand that the public losing faith in our Democracy will cause far greater damage.

Liverpool Legend
Liverpool Legend
No,i think the 'bad for Britain' thing is more important.

That job interview was going so well until I realized I was fukked up on acid in the middle of a cornfield naked and talking to a scarecrow.
Liverpool Legend
Liverpool Legend
Originally Posted By lumba
No,i think the 'bad for Britain' thing is more important.

And who decides what is bad for Britain and define what you mean by bad. I presume you are saying all elections can be overruled by someone saying they are bad ?

Liverpool Legend
Liverpool Legend
It was your bad for Britain,i just borrowed it.

That job interview was going so well until I realized I was fukked up on acid in the middle of a cornfield naked and talking to a scarecrow.
1st Team Squad
1st Team Squad
Overturning results of elections is done in dictatorial Countries...is The UK now a dictatorship?

Liverpool Legend
Liverpool Legend
Originally Posted By Pickles
Overturning results of elections is done in dictatorial Countries...is The UK now a dictatorship?

Who has overturned the results, I heard a referendum on the negotiated deal, ie, an election and recently the Lib Dems saying they will revoke article 50 only if they are elected, ie, after an election. How is that a dictatorship? If anything it's a vote should anybody have changed it's mind, if not it will be the same.

Page 2 of 17 1 2 3 4 16 17

Moderated by  KopTalk Team 

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Advertisements
Liverpool FC Discussion