Rate Thread
Page 5 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 9 10
1st Team Squad
1st Team Squad
Originally Posted By ecnirp98
Originally Posted By redordead13
Originally Posted By swapshop
Originally Posted By theanfieldpigeon
Suarez played in an era where his opposition were just technically and physically better at football and as Athletes. People always seem to forget that sports and athletes get better over time. The defenders Suarez face have better training, drilling, nutrition, coaching and are selected from wider pools of talent which are refined from much earlier ages. He came against these players near enough every game as is the case with modern football and being a professional football player now. Barnes, as fantastic as he was, played during a time when footballers probably had fish and chips for tea and a pint after every match, a lot of them probably were plumbers etc on the side. Especially in the cup games. Some may say they prefer things the way they were back then, but lets not kid ourselves, the quality of football and footballers is much higher, faster and competitive now.
yes fair enough points however players from yesteryear were physically stronger, they needed to be to make tackles count and also to play such long seasons without squad rotation...don't forget Barnes would of been unplayable playing nowadays in an era where defenders would stand off him, tackling non exist and and bowling green pitches to play on, don't think Suarez would of been as effective playing yesteryear but Barnes would of excelled now...I say that because Suarez as tricky as he was would never of been allowed to dribble without being chopped and playing on heavy pitches would of slowed him down even more where defenders would of been able to catch him easily, his temperament would never of survived...good discussion with valid reasons for and against...

What proof is there that they were physically stronger? Sure, you could get away with rough tackles that didn't touch the ball back then (which could cover up lack of skill), but the understanding of fitness is much better. You can't say that players like Ronaldo and Bale are smaller or less physically strong than players 20 or 30 years ago; they're built like brick houses. I don't think you can say defenders stand off more, either. Marking is much tighter, much more tactically and technically demanding. Brute strength just isn't the only required element anymore to defending.

What is definitively provably is that players run harder and farther than they did back then. Here's a great example of the study that's been done on it. On average back then a match would require 8-11 KM covered, 25% of which was walking. Nowadays it's between 12-16 KM covered, much more of which was running at a top speed. Players play more matches with bigger cup and European campaigns, more international commitments. In 87-88 we only played 49 competitive matches. By comparison, we played 63 matches in Klopp's first season.

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/foot...lot-136038.html

Back then, a good team could get away with only a few of the players being skilled on the ball, with a bunch of brutes or guys who were athletic, but not great on the ball. The game is tactically on another level too. Maybe Barnes would have shone in this day and age

I think Barnes would have been successful in the modern era, pre his injury, he was big, powerful, athletic and fast, he could hold his own against the tough tackling, if he was skilful in the 80's, he definitely could be skilful now as he would have allot more protection from the Ref.

Possibly, but injuries ruined his athleticism even in that era. How would his body have held up in an era with more running and more games? Who's to say the injuries wouldn't have happened sooner? It's really neither here nor there.

Either way, we don't really know. Barnes is amazing, and I don't want to discount his prowess, but we aren't comparing apples to apples here. For my money, put prime Barnes and Prime Suarez on a pitch against each other, to me it's very close, but Suarez edges it.

Liverpool Legend
Liverpool Legend
In this comparison exercise, nobody is right or wrong, it's like colour, why does somebody prefers red while somebody else yellow? In such subjective exercises, it's usually a voting that decides it, this is how the best players are chosen every time. For me Suarez right now because he did it a few times but Salah will be better if he does what he is doing for a few seasons. One season is not enough

Last edited by TiredReds; 20/03/18 04:23 AM.
S
swapshop
Unregistered
swapshop
Unregistered
S
People are forgetting the most important thing of all...players are far..far more mentally fragile in today's game...would still like to see Ronaldo, Messi and Suarez score there's 60 goals a season each on pitches like the old Baseball Ground or the white pitch at Maine Road with the orange ball in the middle of winter....
Suarez wouldn't of lasted 5 mins with his temperment back in the day, he is one of the easiest players to wonder up and u only have to ask Ivanovic or Chiellini how easy it is...imagine him being marked by a Whiteside, Sounes, Bremner or Norman Hunter whose job would be just to stop him rather than play himself...

H
1st Team Squad
1st Team Squad
H
I'd say those two posts above make my point; great players are all different in numbers of ways and they even play differently, comparisons make no sense. We just have to celebrate and cherish them, rather than putting one above or below the other, that's demeaning, defeating and nonsensical.

S
swapshop
Unregistered
swapshop
Unregistered
S
Originally Posted By Hercules/AF 58
I'd say those two posts above make my point; great players are all different in numbers of ways and they even play differently, comparisons make no sense. We just have to celebrate and cherish them, rather than putting one above or below the other, that's demeaning, defeating and nonsensical.
think we are very lucky that we can have a really good debate because we have had so many greats...so many other clubs can't do this because they have only had one untouchable great that nobody can argue with like Southampton with Le Tiss or maybe Newcastle with Shearer although older geordies might argue the case for Jackie Milburn...

Under 23 Player
Under 23 Player
Saurez all day long over Mo at the moment. Saurez showed consistency across seasons where as Mo has yet to prove he's not just a one season wonder.

1st Team Squad
1st Team Squad
One season wonder is a bit harsh. He scored 19 goals last year, which is very good in a more defensive like Serie A.

R
Under 18 Player
Under 18 Player
R
Salah for me, he has not been banned for a third of his time being here.... Suarez showed nil loyalty to us.

Rafa B,
Freeman of the land,
UKColoumn news,Russia today news.
Getoutofdebtfree.co.uk
YNWA....
RafaB #599143 21/03/18 11:21 AM
Under 23 Player
Under 23 Player
Originally Posted By RafaB
Salah for me, he has not been banned for a third of his time being here.... Suarez showed nil loyalty to us.

Saurez showed a hell of a lot more loyalty than Couthino.

S
swapshop
Unregistered
swapshop
Unregistered
S
Originally Posted By TrueRed
Originally Posted By RafaB

Saurez showed a hell of a lot more loyalty than Couthino.
not for me he never..he bit two different players playing for us, tried to force a move through to Arsenal and caused a racist storm...

Page 5 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 9 10

Moderated by  KopTalk Team 

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Advertisements
Liverpool FC Discussion