Page 14 of 15 1 2 12 13 14 15
B
Under 23 Player
Under 23 Player
B
Originally Posted By: thundyr
Originally Posted By: Rafarendum
Originally Posted By: flames
they could have easily dropped their heads, nothing going their way, a percentage of fans not getting behind them, but they showed lot of character to get something out of it. a lot of people dont want to acknowledge that of course because they see what they want to see, convinced that immediate sacking of the manager is always the answer.

We played well only when we switched to 4-4-2 and really went for it. In other words, we played well when we abandoned the managers plan. 4-5-1 at home again...saying it all season...won't score many goals at home like that.

You're right though, some of the players did show character, well done them.

I was extremely disappointed in how we played the first half. Enrique and Kuyt were vying for worst man of the match. I'm always amazed how poor we are in the final third.

But the lads at least tried a bit in the second half. We had better movement off the ball, Gerrard made more of an impact, and that was almost certainly because we stopped playing 4-5-1.

Extremely disappointed once again to see Kenny decide that Bellamy should play on the left (where he was totally innocuous except for one effort on goal from 8 yards that missed the target by half that). Downing provided a few decent balls for no one to head, and then he goes off for Carroll. It's been 9 months of watching the manager do this, and I'm yet to work out Kenny's reasoning in playing a target man without the best crosser in the team for service. Anyone else noticed how many corners we win when Carroll doesn't play, all of which amount to nothing?

Another nothing game from Shelvey, Carra just not good enough, Enrique & Kuyt shocking, Henderson did a good impression of Spearing, Gerrard was generally quite poor (something's happened to his passing), Agger had a good game at LB (even though "good" is probably based on how bad Enrique was), and as usual we continued to cross the ball behind rather than in front of Carroll.

Seriously, unless we can stop being sh1te in the final 3rd (crosses, passes, support play etc) we will continue to struggle to score. 20+ shots on goal, only a handful on target. Pathetic.

But at least we showed some spirit at the end - that's been missing most of this year.

Fully agree with ridiculous tactically inept team choices and substitutions. I.e. downing off when carroll comes on etc.

Think your harsh on shelvey, thought he played some good balls and had a bit of vision about him but thts just my opinion.

Also think your let Carroll and henderson off the hook, the balls might not always be perfect but carroll is rarely where he should be, and henderson well, he isn't even fit to wash spearings boots, spearing shows commitment every game and plays to the best of his limited ability. Henderson, well im told there is a player in there somewhere, but he certainly isn't even trying remotely hard enough to get out.

B
Under 23 Player
Under 23 Player
B
Originally Posted By: Rafarendum
On the positive side, it was good to see Agger back. And I don't think Doni let anyone down. He's not as good a shot stopper as Reina, but he did well coming and punching several crosses.

I thought he didn't do enough when the ball came in just before the goal, and didn't have much else to do. Not his fault though, hasn't played at all.

V
1st Team Squad
1st Team Squad
V
Originally Posted By: bigredkop
Fully agree with ridiculous tactically inept team choices and substitutions. I.e. downing off when carroll comes on etc.

Think your harsh on shelvey, thought he played some good balls and had a bit of vision about him but thts just my opinion.

Also think your let Carroll and henderson off the hook, the balls might not always be perfect but carroll is rarely where he should be, and henderson well, he isn't even fit to wash spearings boots, spearing shows commitment every game and plays to the best of his limited ability. Henderson, well im told there is a player in there somewhere, but he certainly isn't even trying remotely hard enough to get out.

Agree about Shelvey. Not that bad imo!

Henderson, Henderson, Henderson... What is there to say. Just strolling back with no rush as Villa started to set up for their goal. Where was he when he needed to mark his player? Just a bit too late in contact there, which could have been avoided had he seen the threat just a second earlier. The concept of "understanding of the principles of the game" is probably unknown to him!

1st Team Squad
1st Team Squad
i think our midfield is very weak to be honest and not top 4 material

V
1st Team Squad
1st Team Squad
V
We have Gerrard, Bellamy and Lucas who I don't think are bad.

Henderson, Spearing, Shelvey, Kuyt, Adam and Downing are on different levels from poor via underachieving to promising - all not ready at this time in space though.

If we are to play 4-4-2 this means we need at least 3 new top class recruits there to fill up the gap. Maybe we could have one or two of the above 6 mentioned on the bench too?

1st Team Squad
1st Team Squad
yeah but when have they played together and how many goals are coming from midfield

every good team bar arsenal have goals from midfield

B
Under 23 Player
Under 23 Player
B
Originally Posted By: van Gogh
We have Gerrard, Bellamy and Lucas who I don't think are bad.

Henderson, Spearing, Shelvey, Kuyt, Adam and Downing are on different levels from poor via underachieving to promising - all not ready at this time in space though.

If we are to play 4-4-2 this means we need at least 3 new top class recruits there to fill up the gap. Maybe we could have one or two of the above 6 mentioned on the bench too?

A team to compete for top 4:

Reina

Johnson Skrtel Agger Enrique

New RM Gerrard Lucas Downing

Suarez New no.9

As a first 11, I think that could quite easily compete for top 4. I'd take a hit on Carroll as I don't think he fits the other players, I think it would be better for Liverpool and for his career for him to go to a team that would revolve around him, use this cash + sales of the obvious out going and whatever investment we get to spend massive on RM and a no.9, as top class talent as we could possibly get, to give flair and a bit of buzz and excitement and momentum to our team.

The bench would be quite weak, so I don't think we could compete on many fronts but that's okay for me. Supplement the bench with some youth players like sterling. I don't think our first 11 is too far away from competing for top 4, I just think the manager isn't giving the team clear direction, and I don't think the players he bought work well together.

V
1st Team Squad
1st Team Squad
V

Reina

Suarez New no.9

As a first 11, I think that could quite easily compete for top 4. I'd take a hit on Carroll as I don't think he fits the other players, I think it would be better for Liverpool and for his career for him to go to a team that would revolve around him, use this cash + sales of the obvious out going and whatever investment we get to spend massive on RM and a no.9, as top class talent as we could possibly get, to give flair and a bit of buzz and excitement and momentum to our team.

The bench would be quite weak, so I don't think we could compete on many fronts but that's okay for me. Supplement the bench with some youth players like sterling. I don't think our first 11 is too far away from competing for top 4, I just think the manager isn't giving the team clear direction, and I don't think the players he bought work well together.

If we have Doni, Kelly, Coates, Spearing, Bellamy, Kuyt and maybe Sterling on the bench it might work in PL.

But we're still at least 5-6 quality squad players from being able to compete for the victory on all fronts (Carling Cup, FA Cup and Europa League).

Hopefully another 2-3 youngsters are soon ready to fly on all cylinders (Flanagan, Robinson and Suso?).

B
Under 23 Player
Under 23 Player
B
Originally Posted By: van Gogh

Reina

Suarez New no.9

If we have Doni, Kelly, Coates, Spearing, Bellamy, Kuyt and maybe Sterling on the bench it might work in PL.

But we're still at least 5-6 quality squad players from being able to compete for the victory on all fronts (Carling Cup, FA Cup and Europa League).

Hopefully another 2-3 youngsters are soon ready to fly on all cylinders (Flanagan, Robinson and Suso?).

Oh I definitely agree with that. We are 2 maybe 3 seasons away from competing on all fronts minimum depending on how our youngsters step up, how much money we have to spend, if we find any cheap gems. By that time I'd expect first team replacements for downing, reina, gerrard, and co who would all be getting on a bit.

My biggest hopes in terms of youngsters are sterling and robinson (and more recently Ibe, just came here I know but he looks like he could be a good player). Liverpool youngsters in the recent past have flattered to deceive however, so I'm trying to remain cautiously optimistic.

I just feel with 2 big quality signings at RM and St, we could make a real go of 4th maybe 3rd place next year with the right manager behind us. That is probably quite optimistic though.

Under 23 Player
Under 23 Player
Originally Posted By: Shaggydog
It was like the Alamo in the second half.

Liverpool battered them

Correct it was. Fail to see what more the guys could have done out there today.

Must have watched a different game to some.

Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master.

George Washington
Page 14 of 15 1 2 12 13 14 15

Moderated by  KopTalk Team 

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Advertisements
Liverpool FC Discussion
Can Elliott and Trent play together?
by Torres65 - 13/05/24 10:46 AM