Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Pickles Offline OP
1st Team Squad
OP Offline
1st Team Squad
TEAM NEWS

Wolves head coach Nuno Espirito Santo will again be without Ruben Vinagre due to his hamstring injury.

Diogo Jota may return after a dead leg, while Willy Boly is also nearing a comeback from an ankle problem.

Liverpool midfielder Fabinho returned from injury against Manchester United and could start for the first time since November.

Dejan Lovren is back in full training, but midfielders James Milner and Naby Keita remain out.

MOTD COMMENTATOR'S NOTES

@Wilsonfooty: The two busiest top-flight teams in England meet at Molineux in what should be a really enjoyable encounter. This will be Wolves' 40th match of the season and Liverpool's 39th.

It's easy to forget that, amid the summer toil of the Europa League qualifying rounds, Wolves took only four points from their first six league games of the season.

They have been superb ever since, and could well bridge the six-point gap currently separating them from fourth place. Make no mistake, Liverpool's 13-match winning run in the Premier League will be sorely tested.

But Liverpool are Liverpool - and they generally find a way.

VIEW FROM THE DUGOUT

Liverpool defender Virgil van Dijk: "We already know how good, for example, Wolves are. The tactics they have, the players they have and the manager is fantastic.

"What we try to do is to prepare very well and we already know it's going to be a very tough game. It makes it easier to prepare when you know it's going to be tough, when you know there are going to be difficult moments."

LAWRO'S PREDICTION

Everything about Wolves is impressive - their head coach Nuno Espirito Santo, their style of play and their threat going forward. They are a very skilful outfit.

Do I think they are going to be the team to end Liverpool's long unbeaten run? Not quite, because Wolves are not brilliant at home, but this is still the Reds' most difficult game for a long time - and I am going for a draw here.

Prediction: 1-1

MATCH FACTS

Head-to-head

Wolves have won just one of the 11 Premier League meetings and have lost the last six, scoring just once in those games.

The Reds haven't lost away against Wolves in league competition since August 1981.

The only three players to score a Premier League goal for Wolves against Liverpool are Kenny Miller, Stephen Ward and Steven Fletcher. Miller's was the only one scored at Molineux.

Wolverhampton Wanderers

Wolves have earned 18 points from losing positions in the Premier League this season, seven more than any other team.

They have led for just 305 minutes in the top flight this campaign, the least amount of any side. In contrast, Liverpool have led for the most: 1,160 minutes.

Since the beginning of last season, only Liverpool and Manchester City have managed more points against established top-six opposition than Wolves, who have taken 24.

Nuno Espirito Santo's side are unbeaten in their past seven home evening kick-offs in the Premier League (7pm or later), winning five and drawing two.

Wolves have scored 68% of their league goals after half-time since the start of last season, the highest proportion of any current top-flight side.

They have conceded the first goal in a league-high 16 games this season, including each of the last seven.

Liverpool

Liverpool have taken 91 points from the past 93 available in the Premier League.

A win or draw on Thursday would mean Liverpool become only the fifth team in the history of the English Football League to go 40 or more league games undefeated, after Nottingham Forest (42, 1977-78), Arsenal (49, 2003-04), Chelsea (40, 2004-05) and Huddersfield Town (43, 2011).

They have kept a clean sheet in all seven league fixtures since Joe Gomez returned to the starting line-up on 7 December. The Reds had kept two clean sheets in their opening 15 league matches of the campaign.

The Reds could equal their club top-flight record of eight successive clean sheets, set from December 1922 to March 1923 and matched from October to December 2005.

They have won each of their last eight evening kick-offs in the Premier League (7pm or later), scoring 31 goals in these games and conceding just six.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/51130417

Pickles Offline OP
1st Team Squad
OP Offline
1st Team Squad
Wolves will be dangerous considering they were given a huge boost last night in Chelsea dropping 2 points v 10 man Arsenal, it leaves them 6 points from 4th place. After the Liverpool game they have 2 PL fixtures against other rivals for Top 4 places in Man Utd (A) & Leicester (H).

Wolves last game they overcame a 2 goal half time deficit to win 2 v 3 at Southampton in the early Saturday kick off. However considering our own hectic schedule Wolves have played 1 more game than us this season with their exploits in the Europa League and other Cup Comps. They were taken to a replay v Man Utd in The FA Cup last Wednesday evening which Utd eventually won 1 v 0 @OT.
Since the start of 2020 they have played 1 more game than Liverpool, sandwiching that FA Cup replay into their already hectic scheduling but they have a weeks rest after this game because they have no game scheduled this coming FA Cup weekend.

Since the last International break (games played 14th / 17th Nov)
Wolves have played 15 games from 23 Nov onwards to 18 Jan = 49 days that's a game every 3.2 days. Whilst Liverpool have also had a hard time of things in the scheduling Wolves squad is not as deep as Liverpool's and up until their fightback v Southampton on Saturday they had a run of 5 games without a win. Whilst I understand we should be wary of Wolves I think our depth and fitness levels should be better than Wolves.

Nuno does like to go 3 at the back with advanced wing backs supporting their attack. They also like to have 2 attackers out wide (recent games Neto & Traore) with target man Jimenez their most advanced attacker in the middle. Having Fabinho back for this one will be good because it can allow us to dictate the play in the middle with Hendo alongside him and having Wij float about behind our front 3, supporting their attacks.

I would go:

Alisson

TAA Gomes VVD Robbo

Hendo Fab

Wij

Salah Bobby Mane

In their last game against us at Anfield on 29/12/19 Wolves opted to keep Traore on the bench and played a 3 5 2, bringing him on after an hour. I don't think Nuno will set up this way for this game and I expect them to try and unleash Traore from the start trying to pin TAA back. This should be a good game for balls over the top to Salah & Mane to run on to with Wolves preferred 3 at the back. If we get it right from the start we could do a Leicester to Wolves.

Score Prediction:

Wolves 0 v 4 Liverpool

1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular
Will be tough no doubt but we have the quality to beat them even in their best day, we need to take our bloody chances and not hang around like we did against Utd, they have a great striker who can punish us even with a half chance.

Back to Back World Champions baby!
E
1st Team Squad
1st Team Squad
E
Will be a difficult game, I can see Fab starting, they are very dangerous on the break, so I think his return is well timed to help break up their attacks.

I can see Fab coming in for Ox to keep the MF solid, we have the weekend FA Cup game, so I think Klopp will pick the strongest side as they will great a break at the weekend when we put the reserves & kids out:

--------- Alisson

TAA --- VvD -- Gomez -- Robbo

Hendo ---- Fab ---- Wij

Salah --- Firmino --Mane

Should be a good games, 1-2 win for us.

M
Under 23 Player
Under 23 Player
M
I've heard that TAA is gonna be rested this game.

If that's true then Lovren must be CB with VVD. With Gomez at RB.

Hope it's not true. Need full strength against these. Rest players for the west game game. They're shiiite.

I can see a few fringe players coming in.

Lovren. Jones. Origi. Minamino.

R
Under 23 Player
Under 23 Player
R
Players can be rested Sunday, bring the fringe in then. Tonight's one of our remaining big tests and I hope TAA starts.

2 wins in the next week and we're 19 points clear with 42 remaining and the CL starting back shortly after so City will be all out for that. I'm optimistic of course but we don't want to give them even a sniff (plus I want ALL records broken this season).

Pickles Offline OP
1st Team Squad
OP Offline
1st Team Squad
Originally Posted By Mr Bojangles
I've heard that TAA is gonna be rested this game.

If that's true then Lovren must be CB with VVD. With Gomez at RB.

Hope it's not true. Need full strength against these. Rest players for the west game game. They're shiiite.

I can see a few fringe players coming in.

Lovren. Jones. Origi. Minamino.

I can see the thought process in not starting TAA and putting Gomez in at RB to stop Traore. However I'm a great believer in not changing something if it's not broke. VVD and Gomez are a huge reason why we are currently on a 7 game clean sheet streak.
We need to keep the familiarity going unless injuries or bans hamper us from doing so. The only change I'd consider would be to bring in Fabinho to sit back alongside Hendo allowing Wij a freer role to bomb forward to support our trident.

M
Under 23 Player
Under 23 Player
M
Im thinking the same pickles.

Gomez and Van Dijk are brilliant together.

Put Fab and hendo in to keep it right at the back and leave things as they are.

Liverpool Legend
Liverpool Legend
Originally Posted By RedJohn
Players can be rested Sunday, bring the fringe in then. Tonight's one of our remaining big tests and I hope TAA starts.

2 wins in the next week and we're 19 points clear with 42 remaining and the CL starting back shortly after so City will be all out for that. I'm optimistic of course but we don't want to give them even a sniff (plus I want ALL records broken this season).

Indeed, all the first teamers will be rested on Sunday

H
1st Team Squad
1st Team Squad
H
Originally Posted By Pickles
Wolves will be dangerous considering they were given a huge boost last night in Chelsea dropping 2 points v 10 man Arsenal, it leaves them 6 points from 4th place. After the Liverpool game they have 2 PL fixtures against other rivals for Top 4 places in Man Utd (A) & Leicester (H).

Wolves last game they overcame a 2 goal half time deficit to win 2 v 3 at Southampton in the early Saturday kick off. However considering our own hectic schedule Wolves have played 1 more game than us this season with their exploits in the Europa League and other Cup Comps. They were taken to a replay v Man Utd in The FA Cup last Wednesday evening which Utd eventually won 1 v 0 @OT.
Since the start of 2020 they have played 1 more game than Liverpool, sandwiching that FA Cup replay into their already hectic scheduling but they have a weeks rest after this game because they have no game scheduled this coming FA Cup weekend.

Since the last International break (games played 14th / 17th Nov)
Wolves have played 15 games from 23 Nov onwards to 18 Jan = 49 days that's a game every 3.2 days. Whilst Liverpool have also had a hard time of things in the scheduling Wolves squad is not as deep as Liverpool's and up until their fightback v Southampton on Saturday they had a run of 5 games without a win. Whilst I understand we should be wary of Wolves I think our depth and fitness levels should be better than Wolves.

Nuno does like to go 3 at the back with advanced wing backs supporting their attack. They also like to have 2 attackers out wide (recent games Neto & Traore) with target man Jimenez their most advanced attacker in the middle. Having Fabinho back for this one will be good because it can allow us to dictate the play in the middle with Hendo alongside him and having Wij float about behind our front 3, supporting their attacks.

I would go:

Alisson

TAA Gomes VVD Robbo

Hendo Fab

Wij

Salah Bobby Mane

In their last game against us at Anfield on 29/12/19 Wolves opted to keep Traore on the bench and played a 3 5 2, bringing him on after an hour. I don't think Nuno will set up this way for this game and I expect them to try and unleash Traore from the start trying to pin TAA back. This should be a good game for balls over the top to Salah & Mane to run on to with Wolves preferred 3 at the back. If we get it right from the start we could do a Leicester to Wolves.

Score Prediction:

Wolves 0 v 4 Liverpool

Yes strongest side out for me too, though Klopp likes to give returning players lots of time to get up to speed, so may start Ox instead of Fabinho. Tough game I'd think so full focus required.
I'm going with 1 - 2 based on our 'Mentality Monsters' keeping their impeccable focus.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  KopTalk Team 

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Advertisements
Liverpool FC Discussion