Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Pickles Offline OP
1st Team Squad
OP Offline
1st Team Squad

For the first time, Swiss international Xherdan Shaqiri talks about his reserve role at Liverpool.

Thursday, August 15, 2019 11:55 by Sven Haist

Xherdan Shaqiri can not complain about lack of attention. Hardly a day passes without news about him. But this is usually about a possible change of club - and that's the kind of attention that Liverpool's attacking midfielder does not want. After Wednesday's European Supercup win over Chelsea in a penalty shootout, Shaqiri announced that they had no offer from Turkey's Galatasaray Istanbul and one from AS Monaco: "I have no idea where the items came from. I do not know about these offers. »

Is he a reservist?

After 30 outings in the preseason, half of them from the start, the already demanding competition for Shaqiri this season has been exacerbated by the return of the long-lost Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain. In the previous three competitive games, it was enough for the Swiss international only eleven minutes of play in the duel with Manchester City in the Community Shield. "I'm disappointed that I did not play anymore. Nobody likes to sit on the bench, "says Shaqiri.

His move to Stoke last summer has certainly paid off for Liverpool. Whenever coach Jürgen Klopp resorted to Shaqiri, he could count on him. Most recently in the semi-final victory over FC Barcelona in the Champions League, as he contributed in the second leg, a goal forward to progress. But what does the permanent reservist role mean for his own career?

«I have to find a solution»

At the age of 27, Xherdan Shaqiri is actually in the height of his footballing creativity. Without regular match practice, however, suffers his market value and probably his role in the national team a year before the European Championships. "It's clear that I want more time," says Shaqiri. "I have to look at the situation and find a solution." In Liverpool, the flexible attacker has a well-endowed contract until June 2023. In the event of a possible departure in the coming weeks the English runner-up could not sign up for a replacement - the transfer deadline in the Premier League has already expired.

https://www.langenthalertagblatt.ch/spor.../story/23012351

Pickles Offline OP
1st Team Squad
OP Offline
1st Team Squad
Seems a possibility that with our midfield depth stocked with Keita, Lallana & Ox, Shaqiri will be the next salary FSG look to cut? Sounds like he's making overtures for a way out to get more game time.

T
Under 18 Player
Under 18 Player
T
More silliness... and only reported by the worst rags.

As Adrian has just demonstrated - anything can happen with injuries in the squad and we will definitely need Shaq this season. If the comments attributed to him are true - he doesn't actually state that he wants out. Finding a solution can also mean finding a way to force his way into contention, which is what he has been saying all summer. We're only a couple of games into the season and a lot of players around the country have yet to play. He may even get called on against Southampton as he's fresh.

You really are a worry-monger aren't you?

Liverpool Legend
Liverpool Legend
Originally Posted By The Kop Prophet

As Adrian has just demonstrated - anything can happen with injuries in the squad and we will definitely need Shaq this season. If the comments attributed to him are true - he doesn't actually state that he wants out. Finding a solution can also mean finding a way to force his way into contention, which is what he has been saying all summer. We're only a couple of games into the season and a lot of players around the country have yet to play. He may even get called on against Southampton as he's fresh.

No, not even as a substitute

T
Under 18 Player
Under 18 Player
T
Originally Posted By EnergisedReds

Yeah, Klopp is sticking with his core unit... which is what he likes to do. We're only 2 games in and something will happen that necessitates that Shaq plays.... don't worry. Same with Brewster and others.

Liverpool Legend
Liverpool Legend
Originally Posted By EnergisedReds

Yeah, Klopp is sticking with his core unit... which is what he likes to do. We're only 2 games in and something will happen that necessitates that Shaq plays.... don't worry. Same with Brewster and others.

I am not worried, I have a good idea on how all this will go with more than 60 games thus season.

Liverpool Legend
Liverpool Legend
Let me guess. It’s not good?

Liverpool Legend
Liverpool Legend
Originally Posted By wilkij1975
Let me guess. It’s not good?

It think it will depend, it won't be the same for everybody most probably

D
Under 23 Player
Under 23 Player
D
He played in 24 games in the league last year and about 10 other games. Safe to say he'll do the same again this season. Much ado about nothing.

R
Under 23 Player
Under 23 Player
R
I was disapointed when I saw him play last season, I think he's got more to offer though if he's cover for the right side he'll know how tough getting into the team is when everyone's fit. He seems to genuinely love being at the club though. One of the perks of bringing players from lower level teams is they're genuinely grateful for the chance. Imagine how Adrian feels after finding out the European Champions wanted him..

Shaw played more games than I'd have guessed actually.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  KopTalk Team 

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Advertisements
Liverpool FC Discussion