Naby Keita

Posted by: BARTON42

Naby Keita - 11/03/21 09:11 AM

I thought Keita did well when he came on last night. Given that he has not played much and therefore he will be fresh i could see him being very useful for us if he can stay fit.
Posted by: Stanley Park

Re: Naby Keita - 11/03/21 10:43 AM

Yeah he looked sharp just can he stay fit ?
Posted by: EMP

Re: Naby Keita - 11/03/21 07:09 PM

he looks about 62 without the hair
Posted by: Oli

Re: Naby Keita - 12/03/21 12:59 AM

He just isn't strong enough for the Epl. It's too easy to push him off the ball.
Posted by: kernowred

Re: Naby Keita - 13/03/21 03:43 PM

he's never justified the price tag.not one of Klopps better moves
Posted by: *** Suso ***

Re: Naby Keita - 17/03/21 01:09 PM

EVERY TIME I see him run i think his going to get injured
Posted by: jim_beam

Re: Naby Keita - 18/03/21 01:42 PM

Originally Posted By Oli
He just isn't strong enough for the Epl. It's too easy to push him off the ball.

Really? He looks like he can hold his own to me. Is it a prerequisite that to play in the prem you need to be a tank? I think him not being so bulky is more of an asset to him as his style is to be quick and nimble on the ball.
Posted by: EnergisedReds

Re: Naby Keita - 18/03/21 02:43 PM

Originally Posted By jim_beam
Originally Posted By Oli

Really? He looks like he can hold his own to me. Is it a prerequisite that to play in the prem you need to be a tank? I think him not being so bulky is more of an asset to him as his style is to be quick and nimble on the ball.

I don't think his physical state is a problem, he is not too different to Kante who is a monster, it's just that he gets a lot of muscle injuries

Re: Naby Keita - 18/03/21 03:13 PM

Originally Posted By EnergisedReds
Originally Posted By Oli

I don't think his physical state is a problem, he is not too different to Kante who is a monster, it's just that he gets a lot of muscle injuries

Ah see I completely agree with that, was just questioning a comment above that says every premier league player has to be built like a brick outhouse to play in the prem, which I don't get.

Re: Naby Keita - 18/03/21 03:45 PM

No no need to be a tank but be able to stand with, a tank running into you, and holding the ball. What I´ve seen of him so far is that he has difficulties with that. And he is no Kante that much is for sure.

Re: Naby Keita - 18/03/21 06:43 PM

fair enough, it doesn't concern me too much, I've not seen to many times he's been knocked off the ball, it would be nice to even just see him play a few games even smile

Hopefully he can stay fit. I've said a few times that I'm not holding my breath.
Posted by: Snakeye

Re: Naby Keita - 19/03/21 04:19 AM

The lad is very good but unfortunately he can't stay fit.

Re: Naby Keita - 31/07/21 04:20 PM

Naby having another good pre season. Another false dawn or something to get excited about.

Would love to see this guy fulfil his potential for Liverpool.

Re: Naby Keita - 31/07/21 04:23 PM

I have decided to get excited about it I have little else on today

Re: Naby Keita - 31/07/21 10:28 PM

Now would be the perfect time for him to come out of his shell and prove he is more than capable of replacing Wijnaldum.

Re: Naby Keita - 05/08/21 07:02 AM

It’s now or never for Naby. If we does not hit the ground running he will be gone in January. Pressure Pressure Pressure.

Re: Naby Keita - 08/08/21 05:11 PM

Naby looked pretty good today against ATH and played 83 mins.

With Henderson and Thiago doubtful I bet he starts against Norwich.

Also like the look of Harvey Elliott.

Re: Naby Keita - 08/08/21 09:39 PM

Originally Posted By BARTON42
Naby looked pretty good today against ATH and played 83 mins.

With Henderson and Thiago doubtful I bet he starts against Norwich.

Also like the look of Harvey Elliott.

Yes I agree

Re: Naby Keita - 15/08/21 12:43 PM

Naby put in a strong performance yesterday. Best of the three midfielders. Looks like he a can be a very good replacement for Gini if he keeps fit.
Posted by: RedJohn

Re: Naby Keita - 16/08/21 07:21 AM

Best of a really average midfield 3. Second string really.

Milner's old and adds experience. Ox you could say isn't a CM, so gives us options. Nabi I just can't see what he offers.
We really need an upgrade this window.

Re: Naby Keita - 16/08/21 08:44 AM

Originally Posted By RedJohn

Milner's old and adds experience. Ox you could say isn't a CM, so gives us options. Nabi I just can't see what he offers.

Red, I think u being a little bit harsh. I thought Naby put in a good performance. It will be interesting to see how he does against sterner opposition.
Posted by: paul66

Re: Naby Keita - 16/08/21 10:00 AM

Originally Posted By RedJohn

Red, I think u being a little bit harsh. I thought Naby put in a good performance. It will be interesting to see how he does against sterner opposition.

Like Real Mardid last season, when he was in no mans land and had to be subbed. The guy has ability, but not sure he is suited to this league or will live up to the hype. I think he has until xmas before Klopp decides if he will be sold in the summer.

He's had some glimpses, he was decent against norwich. He needs to force his way into the starting 11 now.
Posted by: ecnirp98

Re: Naby Keita - 16/08/21 01:27 PM

We just need a season of 7 out of 10 performances for Naby, that's what Wij used to do, fans often wondered what he did in games and why used to get slated for not scoring/creating enough.

The question is will we get a season out of him, if we do, there is no doubt he is good enough for us.

I thought he did well yesterday, the more he plays the better he will get, we didn't seem to miss Hendo, which is a big plus as when Hendo is out, we usually miss his movement/control in MF.
Posted by: RedJohn

Re: Naby Keita - 18/08/21 02:59 PM

I hope he proves me wrong, but it just feels it's not going to work out, injuries or not.

I wasn't that sad to see Gini go, apart from the fee and his great injury record. After last season I feel we need to mix things up and 7/10 midfielders won't be good enough this year with the other top 4 sides improving.
It'll of course help if we can start our first choice, and in midfield, but Henderson's the engine, Fabinho the destroyer, Thiago will hopefuly dictate play and open up defences. Nabi doesn't do any of those things that well and his shot seems strangely weak.

We need more goals from midfield and someone to burst into the box. Nabi isn't even an impact sub.

Re: Naby Keita - 21/08/21 08:24 PM

Naby seemed to have had another decent game today. I hope he keeps his place in starting line up despite Henderson and Thiago coming back from injuries. He needs a run in the team.4

Re: Naby Keita - 30/08/21 08:30 AM

Why did he not start v Chelsea? Why change a winning team? I do wonder about Klopp’s selection decisions sometimes.

Re: Naby Keita - 30/08/21 09:48 AM

Why did he not start v Chelsea? Why change a winning team? I do wonder about Klopp’s selection decisions sometimes.

Klopp changed the starting line up because Fabinho had to play, however, it's Eliott who should have been benched. I don't understand, but maybe Eliott is really outstandingly better than Keita and Thiago in training

Re: Naby Keita - 30/08/21 03:52 PM

Ox and Keita haven´t looked great but it would be nice to have one player in midfield which might score sometime.

Re: Naby Keita - 30/08/21 06:08 PM

Originally Posted By Oli
Ox and Keita haven´t looked great but it would be nice to have one player in midfield which might score sometime.

Keita has looked good for me, though he has played abit deeper in the team so far, he was unlucky to be dropped at the weekend, I agree we need more of a goal threat from MF, maybe that is why Elliott is in MF?

Re: Naby Keita - 31/08/21 02:49 AM

Originally Posted By Oli

Keita has look good for me, probably not great for whatevet it mans but better than Hendo and Eliott

Re: Naby Keita - 31/08/21 07:29 AM

Originally Posted By Oli

Sometimes it's not the players fault, look at Wijnaldum for example, he scores for his national team regularly but rarely for us because Klopp plays with 3 warriors in the middle of the park and wants them to cover our attacking fullbacks instead of going forward, this leaves the front 3 isolated and shouldering the blame when we don't score. Klopp should try a midfield diamond with Keita or Ox behind the strikers or something else that frees one midfielder to join the attack.

Re: Naby Keita - 31/08/21 10:17 AM

Klopp changed the starting line up because Fabinho had to play, however, it's Eliott who should have been benched. I don't understand, but maybe Eliott is really outstandingly better than Keita and Thiago in training

It's all opinion isn't it but I thought Elliot was outstanding against Chelsea. You make it sound like he had a dreadful game and didn't deserve his place which I find strange seeing as how well he played. I think it was pure twattery from Neville to give MOTM to Christensen rather than Elliot but that's probably a bit of bias coming from me.

Re: Naby Keita - 31/08/21 10:25 AM

It's all opinion isn't it but I thought Elliot was outstanding against Chelsea. You make it sound like he had a dreadful game and didn't deserve his place which I find strange seeing as how well he played. I think it was pure twattery from Neville to give MOTM to Christensen rather than Elliot but that's probably a bit of bias coming from me.

The only thing I didn't like about Elliott's game is that he seemed to be always looking to give the ball to Salah, even in tight spaces and we lost possession a few times through that, but I guess that is just a confidence thing with him being so young and Salah the big star.

He did very well overall, but still think Keita was unlucky to lose his place.

Re: Naby Keita - 31/08/21 11:29 AM

Yes it's all opinion but I didn't see anything outstanding in his game, he was always looking to play it safe to Salah. As for MOTM, it has to go to a Chelsea defender/GK because they made sure we didn't score despite playing with 10 men for more than half of the game. What did Eliott do to be MOTM, he didn't score, didn't make a decisive pass, didn't stop a goal, not sure what you mean.

Re: Naby Keita - 31/08/21 12:43 PM

Yes it's all opinion but I didn't see anything outstanding in his game, he was always looking to play it safe to Salah. As for MOTM, it has to go to a Chelsea defender/GK because they made sure we didn't score despite playing with 10 men for more than half of the game. What did Eliott do to be MOTM, he didn't score, didn't make a decisive pass, didn't stop a goal, not sure what you mean.

I think his passing range was so obvious to see, lots of forward balls which were finding red shirts. A lot of easy passes to Salah as you say but for me this is a positive, he's looking to link up and play 1 2's to break lines yes didn't always happen but he's doing something which a lot of our midfield don't do which is intricate passing and link up. We really struggle against low block because we don't have City type pass and move footballers I think he played in the midfield rather than wide left/right because Klopp is seeing a bit of Coutinho in him, the key we need to break down tight defences.

Look I get what your saying at the end of the day we still only drew 1 all against a 10 man chelsea and he didn't score or assist but my god if you thought he was one of our poorer players then you must think our whole squad needs a complete overhaul.

I'm not sure with this Keita argument, great player, has never delivered consistently so not sure it's a better bet to play him in this game over Elliot, not sure on that one.

Re: Naby Keita - 31/08/21 01:22 PM

With Keita he has never had a decent run due to injuries, so if he is playing well, he should keep his place, he might then become the player we expected with more experience/playing in the team when fit.

We have enough games coming up with the CL/LC that the squad will get games with rotation, Klopp does seem to keep with his faves though like Bobby & Hendo, even when not 100% fit.

Re: Naby Keita - 31/08/21 01:28 PM

I think his passing range was so obvious to see, lots of forward balls which were finding red shirts. A lot of easy passes to Salah as you say but for me this is a positive, he's looking to link up and play 1 2's to break lines yes didn't always happen but he's doing something which a lot of our midfield don't do which is intricate passing and link up. We really struggle against low block because we don't have City type pass and move footballers I think he played in the midfield rather than wide left/right because Klopp is seeing a bit of Coutinho in him, the key we need to break down tight defences.

Look I get what your saying at the end of the day we still only drew 1 all against a 10 man chelsea and he didn't score or assist but my god if you thought he was one of our poorer players then you must think our whole squad needs a complete overhaul.

I'm not sure with this Keita argument, great player, has never delivered consistently so not sure it's a better bet to play him in this game over Elliot, not sure on that one.

Does his passing range made him MOTM? Hendo also had a poor game by the way. As for Keita, he had a good start of the season and though Eliott has potential, I think both Tiago and Keita have more to offer right now. That said, it's Klopp who decides and he must have seen something in training, but not being able to beat a 10 men Chelsea, at home, is a poor result. I have no illusions, can't see us winning the league with the team which played on Saturday, but then, let's face it, the club is not doing much to win the league neither, we are as ambitious as a mid table club

Re: Naby Keita - 31/08/21 02:13 PM

Does his passing range made him MOTM? Hendo also had a poor game by the way. As for Keita, he had a good start of the season and though Eliott has potential, I think both Tiago and Keita have more to offer right now. That said, it's Klopp who decides and he must have seen something in training, but not being able to beat a 10 men Chelsea, at home, is a poor result. I have no illusions, can't see us winning the league with the team which played on Saturday, but then, let's face it, the club is not doing much to win the league neither, we are as ambitious as a mid table club

I still think he was the one pulling most of the strings for either team. He looked a lot more involved than a lot of the Chelsea players even IMO. I wouldn't of fingered him out as a mediocre player in the side on Saturday.

Agree I don't think Hendo was great.

Yes I think not being able to beat a 10 man Chelsea over 45 mins again exploits similar issues we had last season in not being able to convert chances and break down a defence like say City seem to be able to do with ease.

As for what transfer would try and improve that we can chat and speculate about. Personally I don't really have a clear opinion on what we could do, happy for now leaving it to Klopp to sort it out even if in my loins I am worried about our lack of being clinical.

Re: Naby Keita - 31/08/21 04:14 PM

I still think he was the one pulling most of the strings for either team. He looked a lot more involved than a lot of the Chelsea players even IMO. I wouldn't of fingered him out as a mediocre player in the side on Saturday.

Yes I think not being able to beat a 10 man Chelsea over 45 mins again exploits similar issues we had last season in not being able to convert chances and break down a defence like say City seem to be able to do with ease.

As for what transfer would try and improve that we can chat and speculate about. Personally I don't really have a clear opinion on what we could do, happy for now leaving it to Klopp to sort it out even if in my loins I am worried about our lack of being clinical.

We need to replace Origi with someone who is much better and offers something different as a CF.

Re: Naby Keita - 31/08/21 06:58 PM

We need to replace Origi with someone who is much better and offers something different as a CF.

But we would only do that if we had sold Origi and by the sounds of it, no one bid for him.

Re: Naby Keita - 18/09/21 06:50 PM

Superb goal from Naby. Seems to be coming good now he getting some game time. Let’s hope he can stay injury free as I think he could an important player for us.

Re: Naby Keita - 18/09/21 07:00 PM

hope so, tho kinda gave up on him

Re: Naby Keita - 19/09/21 08:29 AM

Class celebration haha

Re: Naby Keita - 19/09/21 10:31 AM

Great he scored, he is a player who gets goals from MF, which most of our MF do not, so great to see him in the goals, thought he was unlucky being dropped a few games ago after starting the season well.

Re: Naby Keita - 19/09/21 03:45 PM

Naby scored a goal that's it. He isn't a saviour for one goal. If he gets 10+ yes but until then he still hasn't done much.

Re: Naby Keita - 19/09/21 07:43 PM

Originally Posted By Oli
Naby scored a goal that's it. He isn't a saviour for one goal. If he gets 10+ yes but until then he still hasn't done much.

I don't think anyone is saying he is the saviour, just good to see him keep fit for 2 months and score a goal, I agree, I have said before, we need to see a foll season out of Naby...

Re: Naby Keita - 19/09/21 10:32 PM

he looks about 60 these days

Re: Naby Keita - 20/09/21 01:34 PM

Keita is a decent player but aside from injury something holds him back. Hopefully he will gain confidence

Re: Naby Keita - 20/09/21 06:30 PM

Originally Posted By Stanley Park
Keita is a decent player but aside from injury something holds him back. Hopefully he will gain confidence

I think he is trying to fit into Klopps system, at RB he was a marauding Midfielder, but that is not really how our MF play, we win the ball and give it quickly to the forwards, he also has more responsibility to cover and track back.
Posted by: paul66

Re: Naby Keita - 20/09/21 07:58 PM

I would class him as decent and nothing more. He's been a disappointment from the point of view that I thought we were getting one of the best midfielders in the world. He was going to really elevate us to the next level. He hasn't been anywhere near that. Even with the tracking back if he was that good as we were told when we bought him. He would still shine above everyone else.

Re: Naby Keita - 21/09/21 02:27 AM

Originally Posted By paul66
I would class him as decent and nothing more. He's been a disappointment from the point of view that I thought we were getting one of the best midfielders in the world. He was going to really elevate us to the next level. He hasn't been anywhere near that. Even with the tracking back if he was that good as we were told when we bought him. He would still shine above everyone else.

I would say he is probably our most likely scoring midfielder, but unfortunately has not been very consistent and injured too often

Re: Naby Keita - 24/09/21 11:38 AM

Injured again stamping the ground. What a pity he was just getting on a good run.

Re: Naby Keita - 24/09/21 11:39 AM

him and thiago are darren andertons

Re: Naby Keita - 19/10/21 10:32 PM

Great goal tonight against At Madrid but weak defensively.

Will be interesting to see how Klopp uses him going forward.

Seems great against weaker teams but struggles against the stronger ones.

Re: Naby Keita - 19/10/21 10:52 PM

he is crap

Re: Naby Keita - 19/10/21 11:14 PM

We must of paid 56m for a different player surely?

Re: Naby Keita - 20/10/21 01:59 PM

But he an attacking midfielder not a defender. I wonder how he would have done if he had Fabhino behind him.

Re: Naby Keita - 21/10/21 05:36 PM

This is Keitas last season I think with us

He is not demonstrating he has the qualities on a consistent basis and running out of time
Posted by: AccaBoosty

Re: Naby Keita - 21/10/21 08:03 PM

He is not demonstrating he has the qualities on a consistent basis and running out of time

I think this is the one area where we are lacking a midfield player and really missing Wij. In Germany he was a regular threat in attack and also a regular in the refs notebook. So surprising then that he didn't take one for the team for the 2nd AM goal.
Posted by: Pickles

Re: Naby Keita - 23/10/21 09:23 AM

Both Keita and Minamino have been a huge letdown for us. They both came from the Red Bull clubs in Germany and Austria which have a not too dissimilar way of working within tight budgets as ourselves. I'm wandering if there is some sort of correlation between both players and Timo Werner who also came from the Red Bull club of Leipzig and for the money has been a huge letdown for Chelsea.

There does seem to be a definite difference to how these players performed prior to coming to England.
Posted by: Pickles

Re: Naby Keita - 23/10/21 09:53 AM

Originally Posted By AccaBoosty

I think this is the one area where we are lacking a midfield player and really missing Wij. In Germany he was a regular threat in attack and also a regular in the refs notebook. So surprising then that he didn't take one for the team for the 2nd AM goal.

Our midfield will need a revamp sooner rather than later:

Henderson is 31 now and has a chequered injury history.

Thiago is 30 and can't stay fit and healthy.

Fabinho is 28 TODAY!!! Happy Birthday Fab! has had niggling injuries since he's been with us.

Milner will be 36 in January.

Keita will be 27 in February and has been with us for 3 years and has not looked anywhere near being the player touted when we bought him. Again has had injury problems with us.

Ox is 28 and has been with us for 5 years and has still not been able to solidify a position in the team for any length of time. Again has had his fair share of injuries.

Curtis is an obvious fixture for the forseeable future, but other than the above we have nothing else.

First and foremost we need to be looking for Henderson's replacement and making sure he is ready to step into his shoes when the time comes...I'm thinking Declan Rice.

I'm also a big fan of the kid from Brighton who I believe would be better suited to right side midfield than where Brighton currently play him as right back - Tariq Lamptey.

Tielemans from Leicester, I'm also a big fan of and we must go in for him, whilst his future is uncertain at Leicester.

We do need to address our midfield situation sooner, rather than later.

Re: Naby Keita - 23/10/21 12:55 PM

i don't rate that tielemans all that much.. he is talented but when up against the best he is too slow

Re: Naby Keita - 23/10/21 05:57 PM

Originally Posted By Pickles
Originally Posted By AccaBoosty

Our midfield will need a revamp sooner rather than later:

Henderson is 31 now and has a chequered injury history.

Thiago is 30 and can't stay fit and healthy.

Fabinho is 28 TODAY!!! Happy Birthday Fab! has had niggling injuries since he's been with us.

Milner will be 36 in January.

Keita will be 27 in February and has been with us for 3 years and has not looked anywhere near being the player touted when we bought him. Again has had injury problems with us.

Ox is 28 and has been with us for 5 years and has still not been able to solidify a position in the team for any length of time. Again has had his fair share of injuries.

Curtis is an obvious fixture for the forseeable future, but other than the above we have nothing else.

First and foremost we need to be looking for Henderson's replacement and making sure he is ready to step into his shoes when the time comes...I'm thinking Declan Rice.

I'm also a big fan of the kid from Brighton who I believe would be better suited to right side midfield than where Brighton currently play him as right back - Tariq Lamptey.

Tielemans from Leicester, I'm also a big fan of and we must go in for him, whilst his future is uncertain at Leicester.

We do need to address our midfield situation sooner, rather than later.

It's not only our midfield but also forwards, only Jota has some time to stay at his peak, this team will need some rebuilding rather sooner than later

Re: Naby Keita - 24/10/21 10:21 AM

I hope Keita starts today. I know he was at fault for both goals again AM but he not a defensive midfielder. He could do much better if he had Fabhino behind him. Will be interesting to see who Klopp goes with between Milner, Jones and Naby.

Re: Naby Keita - 24/10/21 11:02 AM

milner all day long , can't afford to have anyone playing that can just get walked past.

Re: Naby Keita - 24/10/21 01:02 PM

Originally Posted By EMP
milner all day long , can't afford to have anyone playing that can just get walked past.

Yeah, start Milner then take him off at half time when he is close to a second yellow card !

Re: Naby Keita - 24/10/21 02:28 PM

Originally Posted By EMP

Yup I’m sure u right. Why risk it with Naby. Not sure what the future holds for him at LFC.

Re: Naby Keita - 24/10/21 02:38 PM

Both Keita and Milner start but no Fabhino. This will be interesting.

Re: Naby Keita - 24/10/21 02:39 PM

Odd line up, didn't think we would see Keita, is Matip injured? I guess a precaution as he played last weekend and midweek and is on the bench? too drop Konate into a huge game like this for his PL debut feels abit unfair, I presumed Gomez would be in if no Matip? same with Mane, he's been scoring goals on form, oh well, maybe we will knacker them keeping the ball and then bring Mane on! Fab isn't even on the bench? that's a huge loss for us with their attackers, is he injured again? Milner will have a busy afternoon !

Re: Naby Keita - 24/10/21 02:41 PM

strange with fab..maybe he has covid..played like he does v city.
good luck to konate tho i always feel new centre half away against utd..peno lol..

Re: Naby Keita - 24/10/21 04:37 PM

Keita MOTM vs UTD?

Re: Naby Keita - 24/10/21 05:07 PM

What a shame. Was really getting into his stride. Hope he not out for too long.

Re: Naby Keita - 24/10/21 05:41 PM

That was his best game for us, impressive first half and not only the goals, his pressing, the tackles which won the ball back and he has a great understanding with the front players. Unfortunately he could be out for a while.

Re: Naby Keita - 24/10/21 05:44 PM

Keita MOTM vs UTD?

Has to be Salah. A hatrick at their ground is hard to achieve.

Re: Naby Keita - 28/10/21 02:39 AM

Originally Posted By Snakeye
Keita MOTM vs UTD?

Has to be Salah. A hatrick at their ground is hard to achieve.

Of course Salah, he also got an assist