KopTalk.com
Posted By: redordead13 Put Some Respect on Our Captain�s Name - 03/01/20 03:23 AM
This is the best Liverpool side for decades, and he is the heart and soul of the team. He is everywhere: tireless, selfless, always showing for the ball, first in the tackle, first to track back. His passing range has always been underrated, but it has improved immensely: raking Hollywood balls along with metronome-like string pulling: he�s actually controlling the pace of our midfield. After all the dogs abuse and adversity, the injury woes and everything else, he has gone from total failure on his way to becoming one of our most decorated captains. I am proud to have Jordan Henderson as our captain, and I can�t wait to see him host that Premiere League Trophy.
There will still be people who don't understand what he does. Low goals and assists. Etc

But for me after we won the CL. You see Van Dijk and wijnaldum I think all look at the crowd and point at Henderson. Like he was the one who made it possible. We won't see his dressing room influence or what he's like off the pitch but he will go down in history as one of our greatest most successful captains if we get another 39 points this season.
It seems that those who relentlessly bashed Lucas just needed someone else to pick on. He also had the unenviable task of following Gerrard as captain so was always going to be on a loser to some. He�s much better than he gets credit for no doubt.
Originally Posted By wilkij1975
It seems that those who relentlessly bashed Lucas just needed someone else to pick on. He also had the unenviable task of following Gerrard as captain so was always going to be on a loser to some. He�s much better than he gets credit for no doubt.

It's such a great comeback story. Even when he was a skinny kid out of his depth, I thought there was a player in there, and by hard work, grit and sheer will, he got here. So proud of him.
He was easily man of the match yesterday and it is good to see the pundits on tv recognise this as well.

Mane and De Bruyne are being talked up for player of the year awards but having lifted 3 trophies since those awards went to VVD last year he has to be a very live contender for them this year.

At 33/1 he has to be worth a couple of quid to win it?
Originally Posted By redordead13
This is the best Liverpool side for decades, and he is the heart and soul of the team. He is everywhere: tireless, selfless, always showing for the ball, first in the tackle, first to track back. His passing range has always been underrated, but it has improved immensely: raking Hollywood balls along with metronome-like string pulling: he�s actually controlling the pace of our midfield. After all the dogs abuse and adversity, the injury woes and everything else, he has gone from total failure on his way to becoming one of our most decorated captains. I am proud to have Jordan Henderson as our captain, and I can�t wait to see him host that Premiere League Trophy.

Agree with every word
Originally Posted By wilkij1975

It's such a great comeback story. Even when he was a skinny kid out of his depth, I thought there was a player in there, and by hard work, grit and sheer will, he got here. So proud of him.

He didn�t come to us at the best of times so was always going to struggle a bit. He�s always worked hard and given 100% but being compared to Gerrard killed him for some. I think we may have won the league had he not been sent off late season that year of the slip.
Posted By: RedJohn Re: Put Some Respect on Our Captain�s Name - 03/01/20 04:31 PM

To be fair Lucas was very average. Not that he deserved to be the scapegoat.

I'm happy to be one of many who was wrong about Henderson, but again he had at least 2-3 years are being average so it's hardly poor judgement. He's not a world class player but he's become the perfect captain and under a different manager might have floundered.
It can't be understated how good Klopp really is though. They'd run through walls for him and without bringing in some of the players many hoped for, he's on the verge of breaking every record possible with a midfield 12 months ago we'd have called pedestrian, average, uninspired.

It's almost unthinkable what Klopps doing and we can enjoy every season he's here.

Yep, he is more hard work than talent which makes him ever greater, a bit like Lampard
You take 3 players out of our team and which 3 would directly affect our results?

I'm calling Allison, Van Djik, and Mane.

Losing Henderson does not affect our team one bit, so for all your plaudits he is just the Phil Neville player in our team.

Could we upgrade him? Definitely.

If Fabinho was fit he would not even be in the team.

Should be be captain?

Not a chance in hell that should be Van Djik.

But big him up all you like, all the great teams carry average players, Hendo is our Phil Neville or Ray Parlour.

I would go further he is not in the same league as great l midfielders of the past, Gerrard, Alonso, Mascherano, McMahon, Houghton, Whelan, Souness. At best he is at the same level as Paul Stewart or Barry Venison.

Get over this love in for the worst player in our first team.

And yes they out of all 11 players who played in the last game vs Sheff Utd, Hendo would be number 11 if they were ranked 1 to 11 and I dare anyone to argue against that.
Originally Posted By Welsh_Wizard
You take 3 players out of our team and which 3 would directly affect our results?

Losing Henderson does not affect our team one bit, so for all your plaudits he is just the Phil Neville player in our team.

Should be be captain?

But big him up all you like, all the great teams carry average players, Hendo is our Phil Neville or Ray Parlour.

I would go further he is not in the same league as great l midfielders of the past, Gerrard, Alonso, Mascherano, McMahon, Houghton, Whelan, Souness. At best he is at the same level as Paul Stewart or Barry Venison.

And yes they out of all 11 players who played in the last game vs Sheff Utd, Hendo would be number 11 if they were ranked 1 to 11 and I dare anyone to argue against that.

What a weird response.

You are as wrong about this one as you were for your prediction for the result last night. Henderson was the man of the match. No one is carrying Henderson, he is the one shouting, organizing, carrying the ball forward, controlling the midfield, and first to every ball. He is not some hiding passenger.

Here's what the manager has to say about him:

�If anyone who is with us doesn�t see the quality of Jordan Henderson I can�t help him.

�Is Hendo the perfect football player? No. Do I know anybody who is? No. Is he unbelievably important to us? Yes.
Originally Posted By Welsh_Wizard

Should be be captain?

Absolutely brilliant!
I declare that the Bafta nominations list for comedy in 2020 is officially closed.
After VVD, Alison, Salah, Mane, and Firmino, I would say Henderson has been our most important player over the past couple months.
Posted By: RedJohn Re: Put Some Respect on Our Captain�s Name - 03/01/20 06:58 PM

"I would go further he is not in the same league as great l midfielders of the past, Gerrard, Alonso, Mascherano, McMahon, Houghton, Whelan, Souness."

I don't think anyone would dispute that for most of those players with regards to individual ability but surely you can accept that every great team needs someone like Henderson. He's not just a trier as well, but a real leader, and a captain leads by example.

Again, Klopp's made him the player he is and he doesn't strike me as a manager who makes players captain because he likes them or the fans demand it.

It's tough to call how important he is in the first team but all we see is the 90 minutes, not the training, dressing room, pre-match talk etc.. There's many players I'd have over him in the first team but football's not that simple.
We currently have a catastrophic injury list in midfield with Keita, Shaqiri, Ox and Fabinho all out. If that list had Henderson in it instead of any 2 of those we would be looking at maybe a 4 point lead and one less trophy now.

All of us have had doubts about Henderson in the past. Mainly because he is not the same style of leader that Gerrard was. But he has taken time to be an effective leader. For a long time last season we often hoped VvD would get the captaincy as he has turned the defensive unit into a monster. But the discipline the team has shown under his leadership on the pitch is frightening. We don't look like being beaten. Every trophy he lifts just spurs him on even more and he is thriving on it.

He is the heartbeat of the team and he is playing his very best for us at the time when we need him most. Too many people miss the whole picture. It's like saying Firmino is playing poorly and then he turns up in the World Club final and buries Leicester 5 days later.

Eeveryone can keep banging on about how bad
....some of our players are but we are getting results every week because our leader on the pitch is doing the business.

City lost Kompany and with it the chance to clean up again this season. Klopp knows how important Henderson is.

I am getting on the 33/1 while I can because winning all these trophies is down to the way he is leading us through the season.
Posted By: Snakeye Re: Put Some Respect on Our Captain�s Name - 04/01/20 04:41 AM
His trophy celebration is getting stale, he needs to change it up when he lifts the next treble grin
Originally Posted By Snakeye
His trophy celebration is getting stale, he needs to change it up when he lifts the next treble grin

I want to see it so many times that the whole world is sick of it laugh

Henderson has improved immensely over the last couple of seasons, and it's great to see. I said it at the time, that had he not been injured in that title challenge under Rodgers, we'd have won the title that season, some here agreed, some disagreed, but I still think he'd have made the bit of difference we needed then. His unrelenting work rate combined with improving leadership, is a motivating factor in itself, never mind the contribution his passing, tackling and defensive work makes in every game he plays.
Originally Posted By Hercules/AF 58

Henderson has improved immensely over the last couple of seasons, and it's great to see. I said it at the time, that had he not been injured in that title challenge under Rodgers, we'd have won the title that season, some here agreed, some disagreed, but I still think he'd have made the bit of difference we needed then. His unrelenting work rate combined with improving leadership, is a motivating factor in itself, never mind the contribution his passing, tackling and defensive work makes in every game he plays.

He was not injured but was suspended in that Chelsea game. Anyway Chelsea parked a plane in that game and we were too naive to attack, nobody knows if Henderson was on the pitch, Gerrard wouldn't have slipped.
he has improved a lot this season. past seasons i felt he was too ordinary but he added urgency in his passing game and is able to position his body correctly to receive balls from the defence and turn quickly now. In past seasons he would have to take 2-3 touches just to freaking turn.

I think he has been especially impressive in some of the recent games but he is still down the pecking order in terms of importance to the team IMO.
He was suspended for 3 PL games (21 days - between 13 April and 4 May 2014) due to a red card.

Not a good time to lose his mojo.
Much of this stems from last season where towards the end he was getting goals and getting forward. This season he is setting the pace of the game and without Fabinho he has had to step up even more. He has been out on the right wing and played CB v Monterrey. We have injuries and he is plugging all the gaps and carrying out his day job to perfection.
Originally Posted By AngryAsianRed
he has improved a lot this season. past seasons i felt he was too ordinary but he added urgency in his passing game and is able to position his body correctly to receive balls from the defence and turn quickly now. In past seasons he would have to take 2-3 touches just to freaking turn.

I think he has been especially impressive in some of the recent games but he is still down the pecking order in terms of importance to the team IMO.

All our midfielders are including Fabinho as we saw since his injury. Our midfielders need to be hard workers which can be learned from training.
© KopTalk Forums