KopTalk.com
LIVERPOOL: Kelleher, Hoever, Lovren, Gomez, Milner, Keita, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Lallana, Jones, Elliott, Brewster.

SUBS: Lonergan, Lewis, Kane, Chirivella, Van den Berg, Longstaff, Clarkson.
Poor performance. That team will get punished by decent opposition if they play like that again.

Kelleher did well, Hoever was disappoiting, Gomez ok, Lovren awful - fell over and let them in on goal twice, Ox underwhelming, Lallana poor, Keita lacking fitness or sharpness, Brewster non-existent - completely fluffed his chance, Jones good movement, Elliot promising, and Jimmy Milner the best player on the pitch and the only reason we won.
Didn't see it so not in a position to comment. We had 80% possession so obviously we bossed it, as one would expect. Whatever about the performance, it was a timely runout for squad and fringe players so that at least is something positive.
Originally Posted By The Kop Prophet
Poor performance. That team will get punished by decent opposition if they play like that again.

Kelleher did well, Hoever was disappoiting, Gomez ok, Lovren awful - fell over and let them in on goal twice, Ox underwhelming, Lallana poor, Keita lacking fitness or sharpness, Brewster non-existent - completely fluffed his chance, Jones good movement, Elliot promising, and Jimmy Milner the best player on the pitch and the only reason we won.

Fair assessment. Bad luck for Elliot with the woodwork.
Good runout for the players though. Gives Klopp further insight on the depth of the squad. The senior players hopefully will also pull up their socks if they want to put pressure on the 1st eleven.
Originally Posted By The Kop Prophet

Just confirmed how poor our bench is and especially disappointed with Brewster who is supposed to be the back up of our thin forward line. Let's hope that our first team stay fit for the whole season
Elliot missed a golden chance and should have scored but his second chance was great play by him and unlucky not to score with his right foot.
Most of these young boys won�t make it at Liverpool level but what was shocking to me is the older players, except Milner.

What must Ox and Lallana be thinking when they watch this game at home.
Originally Posted By Oli
Elliot missed a golden chance and should have scored but his second chance was great play by him and unlucky not to score with his right foot.
Most of these young boys won�t make it at Liverpool level but what was shocking to me is the older players, except Milner.

What must Ox and Lallana be thinking when they watch this game at home.

Looks like Ox is struggling to get to his best level, it's always uncertain after such a bad injury, hopefully he'll get there rather sooner than later. When I recall that some were expecting him to help us win the title at the end of last season, makes me wonder. Regarding Lallana, never understood what Klopp saw incredible in him
Seems to me that we have a lot of technical fringe players that look good in training but are not able to convert it over to the serious stuff on the pitch when they are given the chance.

Curtis Jones you can see he has talent but suffers with his confidence may be an age thing.

Hoever again much like Jones, but took his goal well.

Lovren was a mess last night kept getting overrun against much lower class league players. He needs to be given his wish and transferred out in January, but we do need a replacement that is experienced and not rely on the kids who are short on confidence in that position.

Gomez we know is a great CB and he's unlucky that Matip has formed a great partnership with VVD. His future is at CB and he is an able deputy when needed to come in and cover for VVD or Matip.

Ox looks like the injuries have blunted his end product. Still neat and tidy play but lacking killer instinct. Maybe it's time to look at a different position for him centrally, rather than on the wings or in the advanced roles of Bobby, Mane or Salah?

Brewster is a square peg for a round hole in this squad and what Klopp's tactics are. Brewster is much like Sturridge in that he wanted the ball to feet and we can't carry passengers like that.
Brewster needs to evolve and learn to chase for the ball and to find space when we are on the attack. He is overrated in my assumption and unless he evolves soon he needs to be shipped out.

Keita I am now starting to get concerned about. Is the English game too physical for him? Last night was the chance for him to boss the game and make his tricky intricate dribbling and runs. We seen very little of him even if he's just coming back from injury.

Kelleher was good, he made a couple of great saves and learning from Alisson will stand us in good stead.

Milner, what can I say...he is the ultimate pro, he was the glue for everything we did last night. Still defying his age and he will be a huge loss when he finally hangs his boots up.

Elliot, I am really, really impressed with this kid. Just turned 16 and has the confidence of a lion. He should be fast tracked to the our 1st team because he won't look out of place in it. I'd be happy for him to be an option from our bench to replace Mane or Salah when they need a rest. Unlucky not to become our youngest ever scorer last night.

Kane, Van De Bergh and Chivrella didn't get much time for me to give an honest opinion.

All in all good result last night, however if we play the same set of players v Arsenal in the next round we will get beat.
I missed out Lallana but he is past his sell by date and needs to be sold. He should never make our bench again he is wasting the opportunity for somebody else to make an honest contribution to the team. It has to be down to the English contingent needed for the squad, that he is in there. Again I feel he is a player that probably looks good in training technically but throw him in to the real stuff and he hides and treats the ball like a hot potato.
Seen a couple of people give Lovren a special mention. This is a monkey I've wanted to get off my back for a while. He is by far the worst ever defender I have seen playing for Liverpool. He made MK dons look like world beaters, can't keep his balance, dives in at every opportunity only to give away penalties or to fall on his arse and leave a massive gap to play into. I don't understand how he is even a professional footballer let alone playing for Liverpool. I would feel safer with an academy player as backup. I have no love for this player whatsoever.
I did not see the game, but regarding Kieta I heard he was OK. Kieta will get time that is one thing Klopp gives all his players. He won't be sold anytime soon IMHO. Why? because we have been tracking him for years. I read an article from our scouts/ data analytics team about him. And they said that his performances for us have been on a similar level to Lepzip. The only thing that is missing is a few goals which would help.

Kieta is very direct and although he seems to give the ball away at times. He is far more effective than most players when he has the ball. He creates more attacks and more scoring opportunities.
Originally Posted By paul66
I did not see the game, but regarding Kieta I heard he was OK. Kieta will get time that is one thing Klopp gives all his players. He won't be sold anytime soon IMHO. Why? because we have been tracking him for years. I read an article from our scouts/ data analytics team about him. And they said that his performances for us have been on a similar level to Lepzip. The only thing that is missing is a few goals which would help.

Kieta is very direct and although he seems to give the ball away at times. He is far more effective than most players when he has the ball. He creates more attacks and more scoring opportunities.

Keita was ok considering he has been out since May. That said, don't think he has shown what he is supposed to be capable of, I think he was branded a more attacking Kante, he hasn't been anywhere near.
I thought they did ok, as a team thrown together who probably haven't played much together.

Elliot looked very good, if he keeps developing as he has, he will be a top player, Jones had a good game, Keita looked better and should be close to PL team soon, Ox and Lallana were well off the pace which is a worry.

Brewster didn't do much, but he got in a few good positions, I think he will improve with better players creating chances, but it's a worry if we need to rely on him if we loose one of teh front 3 regulars.

If Arsenal play a few PL starters, we will be out next round, will be interesting to see what Klopp does.

Originally Posted By ecnirp98
I thought they did ok, as a team thrown together who probably haven't played much together.

Elliot looked very good, if he keeps developing as he has, he will be a top player, Jones had a good game, Keita looked better and should be close to PL team soon, Ox and Lallana were well off the pace which is a worry.

Brewster didn't do much, but he got in a few good positions, I think he will improve with better players creating chances, but it's a worry if we need to rely on him if we loose one of teh front 3 regulars.

If Arsenal play a few PL starters, we will be out next round, will be interesting to see what Klopp does.

Can't see Klopp fielding his first team as it was the case before, but probably Arsenal will do the same. All the top 6 teams would do the same except that City almost have 2 1st teams without counting defence
we play spurs on the sunday and arsenal tuesday..be a whole new starting line up
Lovren had a couple of brain-fart moments but recovered to have a reasonable, especially in the second half when he made some key blocks and a goal line clearance. Truth be told - Lovren probably had a better game than Gomez, despite those two gaffes. Also, to be fair to Brewster, he did have a better second half after being anonymous for the first. He seemed to lack movement - and I don't remember him holding the ball up once and bringing team-mates into play. A striker his size has to be able to do that. Jones had a good game, moves and anticipates well, but I think the criticism about his finishing and final third decision-making is fair. He looks like a good player but I don't think he's better than Kent or Wilson or Aquilani, so he will probably be sold at some point. Elliot was excellent but needs to work on his shooting with his weaker foot - he could have had a hat-trick last night. Ox was disappointing but also brightened toward the end when he must have realised that he was missing a big chance to make an impression. He just looks indecisive to me. I wouldn't put too much into Keita's performance - he actually looked better than Ox during the first half but just seems to lack fitness and match sharpness. I also sense that he is mentally shackled as he just doesn't maraud like he used to at Leipzig. His game has become more hesitant and conservative - perhaps it's the position he's asked to play. As for Lallana, he didn't become a terrible player overnight - but a holding #6 he is not. His play is not incisive enough and he gave the ball away an awful lot. If we can't find a proper place for him in the squad then we should move him on - he's just not going to dislodge Fabinho based on last night's evidence. He's too slight and just doesn't command the midfield at all.
I think with Keita he was playing it largely safe. Picked the easy pass quite often. Kept and recycled possession. Probably playing cautiously because he has never played with most of these players before and he's missed quite a bit of football and his taking his time to get up to speed. No need to rush things and get himself injured again.
All things considered it was decent performance. There were some very nervous debuts I think, Milner was a captain (great game)and I agree Keita was playing it safe. Good to see Kelleher get a start, big things for him I think.
Well we might get kicked out according to the bbc. Seems that Chiravella May have been ineligible.
Sounds like someone messed up, we signed him in 2016, so not sure how he wasn't registered correctly?

I'd be surprised if we got kicked out, more likely we will get a fine.

I started a thread on this before I read your post.
I'd be fine with us getting kicked out.. He'll probably field a weak team vs arsenal and we'll get knocked out regardless. Which I'm also fine with.
© KopTalk Forums