KopTalk

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#641343 - 14/09/22 10:45 AM Can Elliott and Trent play together?
BARTON42 Offline
Under 16 Player

Guys

Watching last nights game it does seem that we are almost back to full strength:

Matip in central defence is streets ahead of Gomez.

I thought Tsimikas was one of the best players on the pitch and may be even better than Robertson who has looked a little jaded this season.

Thiago was brilliant.

Jota was very effective and could well be our first choice no 9 ahead of Nunez and Firminio.

What I struggled a bit with is the the Elliot/ TAA combination down the right. They are both offensive minded players and we seem very exposed on the counter down that side. Previously, Henderson provided defensive cover for TAA when he was going forward but Elliot does not do that leaving us exposed.

I知 not sure what the solution is but I think they are each too offensively minded to both be playing on the right side at the same time.

Any ideas?

#641344 - 14/09/22 11:12 AM Re: Can Elliott and Trent play together? [Re: BARTON42]
Pickles Offline
1st Team Squad

I've been saying this since, they've been paired together!
Elliott is a wayward liability, easily shoved off the ball and his passing is not good. TAA gets isolated at right back at times because Elliott can't be ar...sed doing the basics of getting back to cover TAA.

There was one point last night where TAA stayed up field when an Ajax counter attack broke down and Alisson had the ball. Alisson passed it to VVD just inside our pen area and he raked a long ball towards TAA...I was like, "What the fcu..k"? I looked to see nobody covering RB where TAA was supposed to be and Elliott ambling on the right side touchline in the middle!

This was not an isolated incident it's been happening all the time whenever Elliott plays right side with TAA. If we continue to play them together we will get mauled by the likes of City coming up soon!

#641345 - 14/09/22 11:16 AM Re: Can Elliott and Trent play together? [Re: BARTON42]
EnergisedReds Offline
Liverpool Legend

Originally Posted By BARTON42
Guys

Watching last nights game it does seem that we are almost back to full strength:

I thought Tsimikas was one of the best players on the pitch and may be even better than Robertson who has looked a little jaded this season.

Thiago was brilliant.

Jota was very effective and could well be our first choice no 9 ahead of Nunez and Firminio.

What I struggled a bit with is the the Elliot/ TAA combination down the right. They are both offensive minded players and we seem very exposed on the counter down that side. Previously, Henderson provided defensive cover for TAA when he was going forward but Elliot does not do that leaving us exposed.

I知 not sure what the solution is but I think they are each too offensively minded to both be playing on the right side at the same time.

Any ideas?

Agree, for me TAA should play on the right of midfield but we don't have any better right back. Eliott should play winger in our system instead of midfielder but still very lightweight, same as Carvalho. Deciding to rely on these 2 teenagers is complete BS. So I think our priority should be a top right full back, not sure how good/ready is the young lad we bought injured from Scotland.

Edited by EnergisedReds (14/09/22 11:17 AM)

#641346 - 14/09/22 11:41 AM Re: Can Elliott and Trent play together? [Re: BARTON42]
Pickles Offline
1st Team Squad

Carvalho has been good in the limited opportunities he's been given. He should be cover for Diaz, when he needs a rest because that is the area he played for Fulham last season and was pretty damn effective for them.

Elliott? I still can't get my head around why he plays as much as he does? He's not quick, his passing is not good and he is easily shoved off the ball. He's a willing runner, I'll give him that but so is a headless chicken!

#641348 - 14/09/22 11:50 AM Re: Can Elliott and Trent play together? [Re: EnergisedReds]
BARTON42 Offline
Under 16 Player

Originally Posted By EnergisedReds
Guys

Thiago was brilliant.

Any ideas?

Agree, for me TAA should play on the right of midfield but we don't have any better right back. Eliott should play winger in our system instead of midfielder but still very lightweight, same as Carvalho. Deciding to rely on these 2 teenagers is complete BS. So I think our priority should be a top right full back, not sure how good/ready is the young lad we bought injured from Scotland.

ER, Do u think Gomez is a complete non starter at right back?

#641349 - 14/09/22 11:53 AM Re: Can Elliott and Trent play together? [Re: BARTON42]
BARTON42 Offline
Under 16 Player

I知 wondering do we play 3-5-2 .with Konate/Gomez as the third CB and Fabhino plus Thiago in the centre of midfield?

Edited by BARTON42 (14/09/22 11:53 AM)

#641351 - 14/09/22 12:10 PM Re: Can Elliott and Trent play together? [Re: BARTON42]
Pickles Offline
1st Team Squad

If we get Konate back I'd try Matip in Midfield such is our need.
When he was at Schalke he played in midfield for them 49 times I believe? You can see he doesn't mind getting forward with the ball and he is good in the tackle.

I'd also like to see how this Scottish kid - Ramsay fares at RB. Gomez now looks like he's hit his limits. At CB alongside VVD he is a liability, whenever he's played at RB he's average and gives us nothing right side for an attacking standpoint to build up play. Gomez I'm afraid needs to be moved on whilst he is a saleable asset. I'd be looking to bring Douglas from Villa in January with Gomez + cash going the other way. Gerrard likes Gomez so it would be benefit for both clubs.

#641352 - 14/09/22 03:57 PM Re: Can Elliott and Trent play together? [Re: Pickles]
BARTON42 Offline
Under 16 Player

Originally Posted By Pickles
When he was at Schalke he played in midfield for them 49 times I believe? You can see he doesn't mind getting forward with the ball and he is good in the tackle.

I'd also like to see how this Scottish kid - Ramsay fares at RB. Gomez now looks like he's hit his limits. At CB alongside VVD he is a liability, whenever he's played at RB he's average and gives us nothing right side for an attacking standpoint to build up play. Gomez I'm afraid needs to be moved on whilst he is a saleable asset. I'd be looking to bring Douglas from Villa in January with Gomez + cash going the other way. Gerrard likes Gomez so it would be benefit for both clubs.

So would your midfield be Thiago, Fabhino and Matip playing in front of Trent?

#641353 - 14/09/22 04:18 PM Re: Can Elliott and Trent play together? [Re: BARTON42]
EnergisedReds Offline
Liverpool Legend

Originally Posted By EnergisedReds
Guys

Thiago was brilliant.

Any ideas?

ER, Do u think Gomez is a complete non starter at right back?

Must say I am very confused about Gomez after his horror show against Napoli, but maybe it could work with TAA just in front of him

#641354 - 14/09/22 04:24 PM Re: Can Elliott and Trent play together? [Re: BARTON42]
EnergisedReds Offline
Liverpool Legend

I would prefer Fab, Tiago and TAA in midfield with Gomez (or the Scottish Young lad if ready) as CB

#641355 - 14/09/22 04:25 PM Re: Can Elliott and Trent play together? [Re: BARTON42]
EnergisedReds Offline
Liverpool Legend

I知 wondering do we play 3-5-2 .with Konate/Gomez as the third CB and Fabhino plus Thiago in the centre of midfield?

But we don't have enough midfielders and a lot of forwards

#641356 - 14/09/22 05:14 PM Re: Can Elliott and Trent play together? [Re: BARTON42]
Pickles Offline
1st Team Squad

[/quote]So would your midfield be Thiago, Fabhino and Matip playing in front of Trent?

I'd actually put Matip in the center with Thiago left and Fabinho on the right. I think TAA would lose something if we tried him on right side midfield, he plays much better getting forward from deep as players backoff him. If TAA is further upfield I think part of his ability will get taken away because of how congested it gets the further upfield he is. TAA's passing is sublime from distance, also didn't he get tried a few times for England right side midfield and was pretty much a bust?

Elliott is a liability and we should look to use him in domestic cup comps or when games are done and dusted.

#641357 - 15/09/22 04:26 AM Re: Can Elliott and Trent play together? [Re: Pickles]
EnergisedReds Offline
Liverpool Legend

I'd actually put Matip in the center with Thiago left and Fabinho on the right. I think TAA would lose something if we tried him on right side midfield, he plays much better getting forward from deep as players backoff him. If TAA is further upfield I think part of his ability will get taken away because of how congested it gets the further upfield he is. TAA's passing is sublime from distance, also didn't he get tried a few times for England right side midfield and was pretty much a bust?

Elliott is a liability and we should look to use him in domestic cup comps or when games are done and dusted. [/quote]

Don't think Matip has the stamina to play in the midfield, he is already often injured playing in a position where he doesn't need to cover a lot of kms.

#641374 - 19/09/22 11:49 AM Re: Can Elliott and Trent play together? [Re: BARTON42]
EnergisedReds Offline
Liverpool Legend

#641403 - 23/09/22 06:40 PM Re: Can Elliott and Trent play together? [Re: EnergisedReds]
EMP Offline
1st Team Squad

Loc: Eire
i would put all my trust in elliot over taa, Trent can't be arsed to even try defend better.. elliot is a class act.. the next iniesta .

#641404 - 24/09/22 02:15 AM Re: Can Elliott and Trent play together? [Re: BARTON42]
Pickles Offline
1st Team Squad

Both Henderson and Trent unused subs in San Siro defeat.

Next game is Monday @Wembley v Germany it will be interesting to see if either of them play.

#641405 - 24/09/22 08:10 AM Re: Can Elliott and Trent play together? [Re: EMP]
EnergisedReds Offline
Liverpool Legend

Originally Posted By EMP
i would put all my trust in elliot over taa, Trent can't be arsed to even try defend better.. elliot is a class act.. the next iniesta .

Even if he tried Eliott cannot defend, just like Iniesta. I think we have been conceding a lot especially on our right side because Eliott cannot cover TAA when he goes forward. Eliott is more of an attacking midfielder. TAA should stop playing in defence, he's never been a top defender but our best crosser of the ball second to probably on KDB

#641406 - 24/09/22 09:44 AM Re: Can Elliott and Trent play together? [Re: EnergisedReds]
EMP Offline
1st Team Squad

Loc: Eire
hendo always covered taa now hendo injured.

think the coaching staff bear the responsibility, our defending has been shocking even when we winning things. now our attack is blunted the shocking defending becomes more exposed . We seem to think looking unflustered and cool is defending.

#641408 - 25/09/22 07:56 AM Re: Can Elliott and Trent play together? [Re: EMP]
EnergisedReds Offline
Liverpool Legend

Originally Posted By EMP
hendo always covered taa now hendo injured.

think the coaching staff bear the responsibility, our defending has been shocking even when we winning things. now our attack is blunted the shocking defending becomes more exposed . We seem to think looking unflustered and cool is defending.

Hendo always covered TAA because that was the plan when TAA bombs forward bit Eliott cannot do that. This is why I think our defence is so leaky on that side

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  KopTalk Team 
Shout Box

Advertisements 1

Liverpool FC Discussion
Julian Ward to leave Liverpool FC
by EnergisedReds
25/11/22 04:12 AM
Saudi government would support Liverpool takeover
by EnergisedReds
25/11/22 04:09 AM
Utd selling up
by Dunk
23/11/22 09:01 AM
Pep Guardiola extends
by Dunk
22/11/22 02:12 PM
Kolo Toure
by Dunk
19/11/22 05:21 PM

Advertisements 2

General Discussion
What is the worst feeling ever?
by Dunk
15/11/22 07:39 PM
What is an unofficial tax on the poor?
by Pickles
12/11/22 05:47 PM
When the universe ends, what song will play over the ...
by Pickles
12/11/22 05:46 PM
UK general election?
by Stanley Park
08/11/22 10:28 PM

Top Posters (30 Days)
EnergisedReds 42
Stanley Park 30
EMP 21
TheMightyLFC 12
Pickles 10
Dunk 6