Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Pickles Offline OP
1st Team Squad
OP Offline
1st Team Squad
Premier League predictions: Who will finish where in 2022-23?

By Phil McNulty
Chief football writer

Can anyone stop Manchester City winning the Premier League title for a third successive year?

Here we go again. Time to gaze into the crystal ball and predict the final outcome of the 2022-23 Premier League season.

This annual act of folly was a qualified success last season, with the top three predicted in the correct order along with the relegation of Burnley and Watford. However, guarded optimism for Manchester United and pessimism for Brentford were wide of the mark.

Getting my excuses in first? Well, there is still almost a month of the transfer window to go.

This season, forecasting those who will go down is a particularly hazardous occupation - as is this whole enterprise - but here goes.

1. Manchester City
Last season - Champions

Manchester City have been Premier League champions four of the past five seasons and I expect another straight fight with Liverpool to end with them on top again.

The signing of Erling Haaland solves the one main flaw in a magnificent side, namely a tendency not to convert so many of the chances they create. He is proven high class and was one of the most coveted strikers in world football.

England midfielder Kalvin Phillips is also an ideal replacement for Fernandinho, while Jack Grealish will be better for one full season under Pep Guardiola.

Guardiola has said farewell to key components of their successes in Raheem Sterling, Gabriel Jesus and Oleksandr Zinchenko but City do not look any weaker than last season.

2. Liverpool
Last season - 2nd

A truly outstanding season last time out ended with them missing out on the title on the final day, losing the Champions League final to Real Madrid but winning the FA Cup and League Cup, both on penalties against Chelsea.

Expect them to fight on all fronts again this term and challenge City all the way, securing at least one trophy.

Sadio Mane is a very obvious loss but striker Darwin Nunez comes from Benfica with a huge reputation and has already shown what he will offer. Watch out for Fabio Carvalho making an impact - a serious talent at Fulham last season.

3. Tottenham
Last season - 4th

I share the big expectations for Spurs this season because they are now in the hands of one of the world's great coaches in Antonio Conte who will give - and demand - a winning mentality this club has lacked.

Conte has also convinced chairman Daniel Levy that deals are best done early so there has been some serious squad strengthening.

Richarlison, at £60m from Everton, gives an already stellar attack another dimension and added depth while Yves Bissouma was outstanding for Brighton in midfield last season. Croatia international Ivan Perisic will bring experience, quality and versatility.

Out on a limb here. Top four and a trophy for Spurs as long as they keep Mr Conte happy.

4. Chelsea
Last season - 3rd

It's never dull at Chelsea but a different type of turbulence played out this summer with a new owner in Todd Boehly and the hindrance of Barcelona seemingly intent on stealing big transfer targets away in the shape of Raphinha and Jules Kounde.

Chelsea manager Thomas Tuchel has also expressed various levels of discontent but this is a club that seems to thrive on instability and aggravation once the season starts.

Raheem Sterling's arrival from Manchester City shows the pulling power of Chelsea while Kalidou Koulibaly has long been touted as one of the game's finest defenders. He will be expected to fill part of the gap left by the departure of the influential Antonio Rudiger to Real Madrid.

Expect more big names in, with Brighton's Marc Cucurella a target, and never back against Chelsea being in the shake-up and winning silverware.

5. Arsenal
Last season - 5th

Arsenal, and manager Mikel Arteta, were left frustrated at missing out on Champions League football at the final hurdle last season but there is a lot to like about their summer transfer business and there is likely to be more to come.

I can see them challenging for the top four again with the signings of Manchester City striker Gabriel Jesus - the rare instance of a deal being good for all parties - and his team-mate Oleksandr Zinchenko adding not only quality but experience of what it takes to win under pressure. Fabio Vieira, a £34m signing from Porto, augments midfield strength.

It's a big season for Arteta but he has the complete faith of the Arsenal board and they have looked a million dollars in pre-season.

He needs a top-four finish and to be challenging for trophies and I fancy Arsenal might just do that. I do not see them as title contenders, though.

6. Manchester United
Last season - 6th

A total horror show last season with Ole Gunnar Solskjaer sacked and Ralf Rangnick having no impact whatsoever before the eventual appointment of Ajax coach Erik ten Hag.

The whole club needs a reboot and anyone expecting miracles from Ten Hag needs to get real as he embarks on sorting out a fractured dressing room and serious lack of quality.

Cristiano Ronaldo's desire to leave is casting a cloud over pre-season while Ten Hag is going with what he knows in signing defender Lisandro Martinez along with a seemingly endless Frenkie de Jong pursuit. Christian Eriksen will provide guile and quality in midfield after proving his return to health and form at Brentford. How will he dovetail with Bruno Fernandes?

Ten Hag needs more potency in attack, and will also hope the likes of Harry Maguire and Marcus Rashford revive their form of old and that Jadon Sancho can show why he was valued at £73m.

Top-four challenge and a cup are the best bet. Title contenders? No chance.

18. Nottingham Forest
Last season - Championship play-off winners

Nottingham Forest have marked their return to the Premier League after 23 years by making an expensive and spectacular splash in the transfer market.

Owner Evangelos Marinakis has rewarded Forest's excellent manager Steve Cooper by making the sort of funds available that he hopes will ensure the two-time European Cup winners do not return to the Championship.

There is an element of gamble as Cooper's brilliant rejuvenation was based on great team spirit and there is always risk in incorporating so many new faces.

And in Forest's defence, they had no choice other than to embark on this rebuild as seven of the 14 players who took part in the play-off final win over Huddersfield Town have departed, including keeper Brice Samba and a selection of loanees, such as defender Djed Spence, who has joined Spurs.

Jesse Lingard is the most eye-catching signing of all after his free transfer from Manchester United. He opted for Forest ahead of West Ham and will have a huge responsibility in this revamped team.

But I worry about the sheer churn of numbers into Forest's squad after the success of last season, even with Cooper's expertise, hence this pessimistic prediction.

I am saying Forest will go down but think they could draw others into that particular fight and may yet stay up.

19. Fulham
Last season - Championship winners

Marco Silva did a fine job in restoring Fulham to the Premier League last season but will face a fight to keep this fine old club in the top flight.

So much will rest on talisman Aleksandar Mitrovic, who scored 43 goals last season. He will need to make a big impact on his return to the top flight, while Fulham will also have to replace talented youngster Fabio Carvalho after his move to Liverpool.

Silva will have high hopes for new Portugal midfielder Joao Palhinha and Andreas Pereira, brought in from Manchester United, while former Arsenal keeper Bernd Leno add Premier League know-how but it's still hard to see anything other than a fight for survival - and you get the impression the manager feels he needs a lot more reinforcements before deadline day.

20. Bournemouth
Last season - Championship runners-up

Scott Parker got the Cherries back up but will have a fight on his hand to avoid the same fate he suffered when he was relegated with Fulham.

As with Fulham and Mitrovic, much will depend on whether Dominic Solanke can transfer the goal touch that made him so potent in the Championship to the top flight, where he struggled to make his mark with Chelsea and Liverpool.

Marcus Tavernier has been the major summer arrival from Middlesbrough but the Cherries will need a lot more than that.

Survival would be viewed as success but I cannot say I am confident that will happen.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/62391593

Pickles Offline OP
1st Team Squad
OP Offline
1st Team Squad
Originally Posted By Pickles
The Summer 2022 Transfer Window for Premier League clubs will open on 10 June 2022 and will close at 23:00 BST on 1 September 2022. This is in line with other European leagues. Transfer of players from another national association may take place once the FIFA Transfer Matching System (TMS) is active.

Still plenty of time for clubs to bolster their ranks with 2 1/2 months of the transfer window to go. Premier League starts 5th Aug and we will be 5 games into the season before the transfer window closes.

Top 6:

1st. Liverpool
2nd. Man City
3rd. Spurs
4th. Leicester
5th. Chelsea
6th. Arsenal

Relegation:

18th. Southampton
19th. Bournemouth
20th. Fulham

A battle again between Liverpool and City, with Liverpool coming out on top this time aided by the fact a larger chunk of our squad will remain at the club for that 41 day World Cup rest. If Klopp can bring another decent midfielder in I would be much more confident.

My dark horse is Leicester in 4th place because it looks like they are going to keep hold of the majority of their squad. Tielemans looks like he is going to extend his contract with them for another year. I'm surprised no bigger clubs have gone after Maddison, however there is time yet! Leicester don't have the complications of Europe playing Thurs/Sun like Arsenal, Man Utd and West Ham.

I'm not seeing anybody interested in bolstering Chelsea's ranks who are having an exodus of players. Lukaku can't get out the door quick enough prob on loan back to Inter. Rudiger has gone, Christensen is waiting to sign for Barcelona, Alonso and Azpilicueta want to leave. Chelsea are going to find it hard having to replace some stalwarts and I can see them going backwards this season.

Spurs look like they are finally getting their act together in backing Conte and I expect them to leapfrog Chelsea.

Relegation places -

Fulham always find it hard in the premier league and unless they spend serious cash they are headed back to The Championship. Likewise Bournemouth and my surprise relegation candidate this season is Southampton, who I believe will see Ward-Prowse end up elsewhere before this window closes.

I'm sticking to my original selections however Leicester's quiet window has me a little concerned. If they manage to hang on to Tielemans, Fofana, Madison etc... and without european football it could be a blessing in disguise for them.

In the relegation places again they look good except maybe for Southampton who I expect to be down there this season but they maybe able to tough it out better than the likes of Leeds who are going to suffer for losing Phillips & Raphina, their 2 best players. I'll stick though as I think Southampton have been going backwards for a few seasons now and they may finally drop out this season.

Liverpool Legend
Liverpool Legend
I have a sneaking feeling Liverpool might just pip city this year but obviously city are favourites

IF YOU WANT TO BE HEARD SPEAK SOFTLY - BOB PAISLEY
Pickles Offline OP
1st Team Squad
OP Offline
1st Team Squad
If Liverpool can get out in front early and get a lead on City then I really do fancy our chances this season.

City will have to play without CB Laporte until September, missing upwards of at least 5+ games. Meaning Ake or Stones deputizing in his absence alongside Ruben Dias (who played a stinker in Charity Shield against at fault for 2 goals), that's a dodgy combination. City also looked out of sorts in that game last weekend and loo like they have made a rick with a much lighter preseason.

City have some awkward matches early on, in Laporte's absence, the standouts being:

07/08/22 - West Ham v Man City
21/08/22 - Newcastle v Man City
27/08/22 - Man City v C Palace
03/09/22 - Aston Villa v Man City

That World Cup break of 41 days will also aid Liverpool more, with us having some important players able to get a rest, namely Salah who went off the boil the end of last season. Then Diaz, Robertson, Matip, Keita, Jones and possibly Bobby Firmino with Brazil having a huge amount of attackers it's likely Bobby may miss out.

Pickles Offline OP
1st Team Squad
OP Offline
1st Team Squad
Man City's squad who will be at The World Cup in Qatar:

Ederson (Brazil)
Kyle Walker (England)
Joao Cancelo (Portrugal)
Nathan Ake (Holland)
Ruben Dias (Portugal)
Kevin De Bruyne (Belgium)
Jack Grealish (England)
Bernardo Silva (Portugal)
Rodri (Spain)
Julian Alvarez (Argentina)
Phil Foden (England)
Ilkay Gundogan (Germany)
Kalvin Phillips (England)
John Stones (England)

There will only be 2 senior Man City players missing out on the World Cup - Erling Haaland & Riyad Mahrez.

Liverpool players missing out on The World Cup:
Salah
Diaz
Firmino (Probably?)
Matip (Has a spat with Cameroon National Association, said he doesn't want to play again for Cameroon. Hasn't played for them since 2014)
Robertson
Milner
Jones
Keita
Gomez
Elliott

That's 10 current Liverpool senior players not likely to be playing in The World Cup compared to Man City's 2 players, that's a huge advantage for the restart of the 2nd half of the season.

Pickles Offline OP
1st Team Squad
OP Offline
1st Team Squad
I missed out Tsimikas and you could also add Carvalho who I don't think will make Portugal's squad, so probably 12 senior Liverpool players not at The World Cup.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  KopTalk Team 

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Advertisements
Liverpool FC Discussion