KopTalk

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#639055 - 25/10/21 07:17 AM Took our foot off the accelerator.
BARTON42 Offline
Under 16 Player

Fantastic result yesterday but just one small point Iíd wonder about:

We were 5-0 up after 50 minutes and they went down to 10 men with 30 minutes to go. Klopp and the team clearly made the decision to ease off in order to prevent injuries. Of course Klopp knows best but as a diehard Liverpool supporter I would have loved to have completely humiliated our biggest rivals. I think thatís what Fergie would have done to us.

Also, the race is going to be so tight this season that goal difference may very well be critical at the end of the day. Seems like we missed a chance to put up a cricket score.

Glorious Sunday but just wondering did we miss a little bit of an opportunity?

#639063 - 25/10/21 01:51 PM Re: Took our foot off the accelerator. [Re: BARTON42]
jim_beam Offline
Under 16 Player

Loc: North Wales
Fair points you make but for me 5 - 0 away at United is brilliant enough. I think whether we won 4 - 0 or 9 - 0 the humiliation value is probably the same because we showed we are the far superior team regardless of the score line.

For me personally more goals would have been nice but it didn't bother me.

I think we took our foot off the gas but also down to 10 men united decided to sit deep and make it difficult, the irony being thats what they should have done from the start. Anyone who has played championship manager for 2 weeks would have been able to tell if they played the same way against us as they did midweek it was going to be a goal fest.

#639064 - 25/10/21 02:03 PM Re: Took our foot off the accelerator. [Re: BARTON42]
klopp4kop Offline
Under 18 Player

Loc: london
We couldn't afford to lose more players, so pressing hard would have been stupid.

#639065 - 25/10/21 02:16 PM Re: Took our foot off the accelerator. [Re: jim_beam]
BARTON42 Offline
Under 16 Player

Originally Posted By jim_beam
Fair points you make but for me 5 - 0 away at United is brilliant enough. I think whether we won 4 - 0 or 9 - 0 the humiliation value is probably the same because we showed we are the far superior team regardless of the score line.

For me personally more goals would have been nice but it didn't bother me.

I think we took our foot off the gas but also down to 10 men united decided to sit deep and make it difficult, the irony being thats what they should have done from the start. Anyone who has played championship manager for 2 weeks would have been able to tell if they played the same way against us as they did midweek it was going to be a goal fest.

Agreed Jim. I think Iím just nit picking.

#639067 - 25/10/21 03:29 PM Re: Took our foot off the accelerator. [Re: BARTON42]
EMP Offline
1st Team Squad

Loc: Eire
was humiliating for them watching us take it easy on them for 30mins.. plus an 9-0 and ole is gone now.. we want him there for every last second we can, he is seriously making them crap beyond words lol

Edited by EMP (25/10/21 03:30 PM)

#639071 - 25/10/21 08:32 PM Re: Took our foot off the accelerator. [Re: BARTON42]
Snakeye Online   happy
1st Team Regular

Loc: New Zealand
I'm not sure whether Klopp instructed them to ease off or the players themselves eased off at the end but I think we exerted a lot of energy vs Athletico and the travel as well so I think it was natural we slowly ran out of energy. I think after the 10 men we could of scored another 2 or 3 had we continued our lethal streak but higher risk of injury because players lose their heads when losing badly and can seriously injure players as we saw with pogba.

I agree about being a wee but disappointed it wasn't 6 or 7 but hopefully 5 keeps ole at the wheel for a bit longer wink

Edited by Snakeye (25/10/21 08:33 PM)

#639076 - 26/10/21 03:37 AM Re: Took our foot off the accelerator. [Re: BARTON42]
EnergisedReds Offline
Liverpool Legend

Originally Posted By BARTON42

We were 5-0 up after 50 minutes and they went down to 10 men with 30 minutes to go. Klopp and the team clearly made the decision to ease off in order to prevent injuries. Of course Klopp knows best but as a diehard Liverpool supporter I would have loved to have completely humiliated our biggest rivals. I think thatís what Fergie would have done to us.

Also, the race is going to be so tight this season that goal difference may very well be critical at the end of the day. Seems like we missed a chance to put up a cricket score.

Klopp said they were just managing the game out of respect and didn't want injuries, but yes, I wanted 1 more to be honest, a tennis score

#639077 - 26/10/21 07:51 AM Re: Took our foot off the accelerator. [Re: EnergisedReds]
elimmel Online   content
Under 18 Player

Originally Posted By EnergisedReds
Originally Posted By BARTON42

Klopp said they were just managing the game out of respect and didn't want injuries, but yes, I wanted 1 more to be honest, a tennis score

more of a squash player myself. 11-0 or old school 9-0 would have been lovely.
but ya, understood the game and player management reasoning.

#639078 - 26/10/21 11:30 AM Re: Took our foot off the accelerator. [Re: BARTON42]
AccaBoosty Offline
Under 23 Player

Scumchester rattled up 7 cards. I think we could have had more injuries had we gone for more goals against a team that had lost its head. 5-0 was beyond expectations but you could see it coming in a way. United shipped 6 v Leicester and Atalanta and we had scored 3 or more in 6 or 7 consecutive away games.

It was 5-0 v a full side with £200m worth of back 4 and the last 30 minutes was just played at friendly pace. I think Klopp told them to ease off. Must be great being a player drinking that last 30 mins in away from home against your greatest rival in their own back yard. My dad used to tell me years ago that the great Liverpool sides of the 70's and 80's used to stop at 5 out of respect. I remember watching MoTD and seeing lots of 5-0 wins back in the day but not any 6's or 7's. I wonder how much time was left in some of those 5-0 wins when the 5th goal went in.

A 6,7 or 8 goal thrashing could well have seen an immediate managerial change. We don't want that. Even if we did all want that shot by TAA to sail into the top corner. OGS is the gift that keeps giving. Long may that continue.

On another subject I think that Neville on Sky went really easy on them at the end of the game because his meltdown went from 0-2 to the Pogba red card. He kept banging on about them being second in the PL last season. Our injury ravaged squad was not a million miles behind them so with the back line fully restored normal service is being resumed. Why are people so surprised about this?

He could have only caused more damage by going into further meltdown. Any fool can see that OGS is not in charge of signing their players and is not in control of much. You just cannot underestimate the amount of damage Mourinho did there and that board is unlikely to allow any manager in the near future a treasure chest to play with.

They really are a mess and it will keep coming around like this every 6 months or so, then recover then slide again. The longer they stay like that the better.

#639081 - 27/10/21 05:17 PM Re: Took our foot off the accelerator. [Re: BARTON42]
The Kop Prophet Offline
Under 16 Player

They were riled up and it wasn't worth risking more injuries for a couple more goals. Glad Klopp is manager and not some people on here!

Moderator:  KopTalk Team 
Shout Box

Advertisements 1

Liverpool FC Discussion
RIP Ray Kennedy
by Oli
02/12/21 04:56 PM
Thiago
by EnergisedReds
01/12/21 05:33 PM
Have we sorted our defensive problems?
by EnergisedReds
29/11/21 05:05 PM
Andy Roberston injury news
by Snakeye
29/11/21 09:42 AM
Liverpools up and comings
by Stanley Park
26/11/21 10:49 AM

Advertisements 2

General Discussion
Whatís a discontinued food or beverage item you wish ...
by Pickles
30/11/21 12:56 AM
if you woke up as the last person alive tomorrow ...
by Dunk
15/11/21 10:48 AM
What celebrity death surprised you the most?
by Dunk
15/11/21 10:40 AM
What is something completely real that happened ...
by Dunk
11/11/21 10:15 PM
Brexit
by Stanley Park
07/11/21 06:33 PM

Top Posters (30 Days)
EnergisedReds 44
Dunk 28
Stanley Park 17
ecnirp98 13
BARTON42 11
The Kop Prophet 10