Rate Thread
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
E
EMP Offline
1st Team Squad
1st Team Squad
E
Originally Posted By Stanley Park
Best thing to do if you hate the Saudis is to support shale gas extraction. America is now a net exporter of energy following their decision to extract the gas. That damaged Saudi and the Middle East despots massively. Boris Johnson has just refused shell the opportunity to open a new gas field in the North Sea on global warming grounds that again would have reduced our reliance on Middle East energy.

As for Newcastle yes I hope they get relegated for the laugh factor. But medium term they and city will dominate being financed by two despotic regimes. I can see the super league coming back again.

Vish is correct emp the Saudis don’t care about your protests but they do care about their revenues

I don't care what the saudi scumbag regime care or care not about, he is an evil mental man. I care about efforts to undermine him and make the place better.

As for boris and shell, from what i understand boris is opening up the north for oil exploration ..dangerous exploration at that. as with everything that comes out of boris's mouth its lies..so whatever he said the opposite is the truth

Liverpool Legend
Liverpool Legend
Originally Posted By Stanley Park
Best thing to do if you hate the Saudis is to support shale gas extraction. America is now a net exporter of energy following their decision to extract the gas. That damaged Saudi and the Middle East despots massively. Boris Johnson has just refused shell the opportunity to open a new gas field in the North Sea on global warming grounds that again would have reduced our reliance on Middle East energy.

As for Newcastle yes I hope they get relegated for the laugh factor. But medium term they and city will dominate being financed by two despotic regimes. I can see the super league coming back again.

Vish is correct emp the Saudis don’t care about your protests but they do care about their revenues

Global warming is more dangerous than the Saudis though

Liverpool Legend
Liverpool Legend
Originally Posted By jim_beam
Interesting topic which has certainly caused a lot of interest I must say.

Seems to be a lot of contradictions and assumptions happening here:

1. Newcastle will immediately (near future) become successful or the most successful team in the league

I don't buy this, Everton has loads of cash and have spent it and what have they achieved? Nothing. Yes Newcastle may build a good team but it will just increase the competition within the league I think this is a good thing. Just because they will have loads of cash does not mean players will get better, all it means is there is more cash in the system to buy players which will inflate player value more (probably bad). Players will still want to go to United, City, Chelsea, Madrid, Barca, Bayern etc

2. We won't be able to compete unless we have mega rich owners

We recently won the league, champions league, club world cup and built the best team in the division to compete with City. Has it made us more successful than City? No, but we have shown that on some level our model works. Leicester won the league as well in a division with other billionaire clubs.

3. We want rich owners without getting out hands dirty

Most rich owners of football clubs have some dirty dealings, Abramovich, City and now Newcastle. Is there a perfect owner for us out there who will lavish us with all the gifts we want and not have any downside to that? I'm not sure.

4. Human rights abuses

In a perfect world I would love for the British football to show some backbone and say we aren't going to deal with these people. In reality if we do it for Newcastle we have to have a level playing field for everyone else.

Also how many brits will go and holiday in Dubai this year, will watch the Qatar world cup on TV, how many of us are going to buy something from China this afternoon or watch a Disney film (yes the Saudis even have a stake in Disney). I don't necessarily like it but I wouldn't blame the Newcastle fans for just wanting to see some investment in their club. When it comes to politics we all talk a tough game but hardly every follow through.

You are right on most points except that you cannot compare Everton owners to the Saudis, you should compare the latter to City owners. Yes Everton owners are better than ours, but not enough to bridge the gap between LFC and Everton, at least not in the short term. As for us and Leicester winning the league, yes that's always possible, but every now and then rather than regularly. The 2 clubs winning the most number of titles recently are Chelsea and City and the reason is clear, however, the most important thing is to also have the right manager

Liverpool Legend
Liverpool Legend
Originally Posted By jim_beam
Interesting topic which has certainly caused a lot of interest I must say.

Seems to be a lot of contradictions and assumptions happening here:

1. Newcastle will immediately (near future) become successful or the most successful team in the league

I don't buy this, Everton has loads of cash and have spent it and what have they achieved? Nothing. Yes Newcastle may build a good team but it will just increase the competition within the league I think this is a good thing. Just because they will have loads of cash does not mean players will get better, all it means is there is more cash in the system to buy players which will inflate player value more (probably bad). Players will still want to go to United, City, Chelsea, Madrid, Barca, Bayern etc

2. We won't be able to compete unless we have mega rich owners

We recently won the league, champions league, club world cup and built the best team in the division to compete with City. Has it made us more successful than City? No, but we have shown that on some level our model works. Leicester won the league as well in a division with other billionaire clubs.

3. We want rich owners without getting out hands dirty

Most rich owners of football clubs have some dirty dealings, Abramovich, City and now Newcastle. Is there a perfect owner for us out there who will lavish us with all the gifts we want and not have any downside to that? I'm not sure.

4. Human rights abuses

In a perfect world I would love for the British football to show some backbone and say we aren't going to deal with these people. In reality if we do it for Newcastle we have to have a level playing field for everyone else.

Also how many brits will go and holiday in Dubai this year, will watch the Qatar world cup on TV, how many of us are going to buy something from China this afternoon or watch a Disney film (yes the Saudis even have a stake in Disney). I don't necessarily like it but I wouldn't blame the Newcastle fans for just wanting to see some investment in their club. When it comes to politics we all talk a tough game but hardly every follow through.

Very good points and hard to disagree with any except point 2. We have had success but we are massively underachieving, given the clubs world status. And I would attribute the success we have had to klopp not the FSG model.

IF YOU WANT TO BE HEARD SPEAK SOFTLY - BOB PAISLEY
E
EMP Offline
1st Team Squad
1st Team Squad
E
a matter of timing too. if we won the league and big ears and then tried to sign Mane his price would double. same with salah. we gonna need big money now, unless we just stick with the young lads

EMP #638930 12/10/21 03:28 AM
Liverpool Legend
Liverpool Legend
Originally Posted By EMP
a matter of timing too. if we won the league and big ears and then tried to sign Mane his price would double. same with salah. we gonna need big money now, unless we just stick with the young lads

You mean, if we would have won the CL the season before signing Salah, we would have had to pay 70m then? I don't think so, we paid 25m for Tiago, a player who had won everything in his career, actually, if we hadn't won those 2, he wouldn't even have considered us. Yes, some clubs could ask more money because we made more revenues winning those 2 cups, but not double, it's the market which decides the price, Salah market price won't double if another club wins the CL, but will, if he wins it with his club

E
EMP Offline
1st Team Squad
1st Team Squad
E
thiago was nearing the end of his contract and career

EMP #638932 12/10/21 10:10 AM
Liverpool Legend
Liverpool Legend
Originally Posted By EMP

Correct Thiago not a good example

IF YOU WANT TO BE HEARD SPEAK SOFTLY - BOB PAISLEY
O
Oli Offline
Under 16 Player
Under 16 Player
O
Tbh this Newcastle takeover might just be the final push in removing my interest in football. When they will be top 4 next season or even win it it´s the end.

EMP #638934 12/10/21 04:43 PM
Liverpool Legend
Liverpool Legend
Originally Posted By EMP

Don't think Bayern wanted to sell him but he wanted to come to LFC, do you think that would have happened if we hadn't won those 2 cups?

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  KopTalk Team 

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Advertisements
Liverpool FC Discussion