Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Liverpool Legend
OP Offline
Liverpool Legend
Originally Posted By jim_beam
That may well be the case, I certainly remeber the last couple of days where it seemed like it was a 2 horse race between Carlo and Klopp.

Would you not agree that many owners would have become impatient and pulled the plug on Klopp after 3 years and thus starting all over again?

The fact that Klopp and FSG were both on the same wavelength that a proper plan would take 4 years for success and putting in all the backroom staff to facilatate this was a good peice of ownership.

Why would they have pulled the plug, they hardly invested in the team and probably knew they wouldn't find better?

Liverpool Legend
OP Offline
Liverpool Legend
google search Liverpool manager shortlist 2015, the first article has Klopp, Carlo and Eddie Howe in the race referenced from an article from The Athletic. It goes on to say Carlo was dismissed for being too much of a money manager.

Carlo had surgery and took a sabbatical, dont you know about the media just linking players and managers with clubs, if you want to belive the media, then we are signing Mbappe in a few weeks

J
Under 16 Player
Under 16 Player
J
Originally Posted By EnergisedReds
Why would they have pulled the plug, they hardly invested in the team and probably knew they wouldn't find better?

I rekon there would have been a few opportunities to cut him off and bring someone in if they had thought fit. I was probably one of the more patient fans on here but even a couple of years in when our defence was leaky and it didn't look like he was doing anything about the goalkeepers that I thought he might have gone.

As for available managers off the top of my head you could have had Allegri? Simione was being talked about a lot when it looked like he had taken Atleti as far as he could, talk of Benitez again? Conte has swapped teams a few times. There are always managers going in and out no?

History is written by the winners as they say and ofcourse it seems obvious now that there was probably nobody better but the options for change were always there.

I don't believe most media gossip but The Athletic aren't your back page daily rag gossip column.

As for not investing in the team, well, the team has been sucessful in the last couple of years? Does it matter how many $$$ they pumped in? How much money have Everton [oops] up the wall in the last decade? Has that brought them any success?

Last edited by jim_beam; 30/04/21 12:43 AM.
Liverpool Legend
OP Offline
Liverpool Legend

I rekon there would have been a few opportunities to cut him off and bring someone in if they had thought fit. I was probably one of the more patient fans on here but even a couple of years in when our defence was leaky and it didn't look like he was doing anything about the goalkeepers that I thought he might have gone.

As for available managers off the top of my head you could have had Allegri? Simione was being talked about a lot when it looked like he had taken Atleti as far as he could, talk of Benitez again? Conte has swapped teams a few times. There are always managers going in and out no?

History is written by the winners as they say and ofcourse it seems obvious now that there was probably nobody better but the options for change were always there.

I don't believe most media gossip but The Athletic aren't your back page daily rag gossip column.

As for not investing in the team, well, the team has been sucessful in the last couple of years? Does it matter how many $$$ they pumped in? How much money have Everton [oops] up the wall in the last decade? Has that brought them any success?

Don't think you can compare with Everton...today, they are building something with their owners full support, had you thought they would get an Ancelotti type manager and building a new stadium?

As for our defence leaking goals, we all knew we needed money to reinforce, and we didn't have that until Coutinho decided to move, we all saw the difference Ali and Virgil made, and who is to blame if we took longer to get them? Not Klopp but FSG I would go even further to say that FSG loves Klopp because he is not demanding in terms of investment, this is more difficult to find among winning managers.

Last edited by EnergisedReds; 30/04/21 03:23 AM.
J
Under 16 Player
Under 16 Player
J
Yeah definately no comparison between the hard cash injected into Everton compared to Liverpool but my point still stands, have they won anything and when will they win something? I couldn't give a hoot what FSG have invested into the team as long as they are winning and being competative which we are (apart from now obviously). When have Everton competed for anything?

The second point as well, again you could be right, say coutinho never left and we never invested in VVD and Ali then yes I would be front of the line to kick FSG out but Coutinho did leave and we did reinvest that money in top quality and then we did win trophies so again the rest is history as far as I'm concerned.

Third point, yes this is why FSG and Klopp make a good team, I don't think FSG are hiding the fact the Klopp doesn't like spending money, they are trying to find a different way to win and be competative against Chelsea/City etc. This is why Klopp doesn't spend bucket loads of cash and why FSG were willing to be pateint for a few years while Klopp was building.

Liverpool Legend
OP Offline
Liverpool Legend
Yeah definately no comparison between the hard cash injected into Everton compared to Liverpool but my point still stands, have they won anything and when will they win something? I couldn't give a hoot what FSG have invested into the team as long as they are winning and being competative which we are (apart from now obviously). When have Everton competed for anything?

The second point as well, again you could be right, say coutinho never left and we never invested in VVD and Ali then yes I would be front of the line to kick FSG out but Coutinho did leave and we did reinvest that money in top quality and then we did win trophies so again the rest is history as far as I'm concerned.

Third point, yes this is why FSG and Klopp make a good team, I don't think FSG are hiding the fact the Klopp doesn't like spending money, they are trying to find a different way to win and be competative against Chelsea/City etc. This is why Klopp doesn't spend bucket loads of cash and why FSG were willing to be pateint for a few years while Klopp was building.

Well, Klopp will be here for a couple of years st most and we have had more trophyless season under FSG than winning trophies.

As I said, Everton just started on their path starting well behind us, and with the tyoe of support they are getting from their owners, we wouldn't be competing only once in a blue moon, but every season. Not investing in a good central defender in early Jan, when we all knew back in October that it was crucial, will cost us, not only the league, but a CL qualification most probably. Maybe those f.kers will decide to sell to some who deserve us more because without CL and with our wage bill and less fans in the stadium, next season will be a blood bath when it comes to finances of the club.

E
1st Team Squad
1st Team Squad
E

Don't think you can compare with Everton...today, they are building something with their owners full support, had you thought they would get an Ancelotti type manager and building a new stadium?

As for our defence leaking goals, we all knew we needed money to reinforce, and we didn't have that until Coutinho decided to move, we all saw the difference Ali and Virgil made, and who is to blame if we took longer to get them? Not Klopp but FSG I would go even further to say that FSG loves Klopp because he is not demanding in terms of investment, this is more difficult to find among winning managers.

It has been reported that Klopp wanted to pull the plug on the VvD deal as he thought it was far too expensive, it was FSG who pressed on and did the deal as they knew he was Klopp's number 1 target, but we had to pay over the odds due to our previous approach failure, so we had to pay what Southampton wanted, so it is interesting that sometimes the owners are pressing Klopp to spend.

Klopp as always said he prefers to buy and develop the next up and coming player into a superstar, than buy a ready made superstar for a huge fee, similat what he has done with Mane & Salah.

J
Under 16 Player
Under 16 Player
J
Yeah you both are making some good points.

We have had barron years under FSG but again I think that's why FSG and Klopp worked well because it's about building towards something.

I personally would have put up with a few years of development to get to where we are now, breaking that premier league duck was a massive ask. For me winnig the League and champions league will always be more then 4 Europa Leagues or multiple FA cups etc.

Under rodgers we were competative in the league at times and had finals but I think thats just the class difference between Rodgers and Klopp where the latter has more experience and is a proven winner. I'm sure Rodgers will have some success over his career.

I'm hoping now that we have put the foundations in place over the last few years that FSG and Klopp can keep on the ball and keep re-developing the team and keep us up there, that remains to be seen and for me depends on how next year goes. If it's bad from Klopp or FSG they are going to have problems, if we are back on track next season then fair enough.

You have to remember as well we are trying to compete against clubs who are basically money doping their teams over the last 15 years, not so easy to just go out and win stuff anymore when City have basically won everything in the past 10 years.

This is just my personal opinion but I would rather do it how we are now more on sporting merit rather than just a club that has unlimited funds, I love the way Pep and City play football but it leaves a sour taste when they just have an embarrasment of riches available to them every single season.

I guess that is where we are differing on our opinions of the owners is I think they have done well with what they have whereas I guess you are wanting a different type of ownership if thats fair to say? So who is buying Liverpool from FSG to start pumping unlimited funds into the club? I don't know the answer to that and I've never heard of any takeover attempts? If a rich Saudi came along and offered the cash to FSG to buy and then told the fans he has a blank cheque ready then that's the time to have that conversation but right now I don't think thats happening?

E
1st Team Squad
1st Team Squad
E
It has been reported from several good sources that FSG recently turned down a £3Billion bid form the Middle East:

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/fo...eaking-20458914

There are also rumours of other interested buyers, I am surprised they turned down such a large bid if that is the case, maybe the problems with the Super League will make them think again.

Do we want to turn into a Man City and sportswash a dodgy state with human rites issued? or be an Oligarchs play thing? doesn't feel good to me, no matter who they buy/what they spend.

Under FSG we can be proud of how we built the team and the trophies we won, can Man City fans say the same? I know a few of their fans and they have mixed feelings on the club now.

Liverpool Legend
OP Offline
Liverpool Legend
Originally Posted By ecnirp98

It has been reported that Klopp wanted to pull the plug on the VvD deal as he thought it was far too expensive, it was FSG who pressed on and did the deal as they knew he was Klopp's number 1 target, but we had to pay over the odds due to our previous approach failure, so we had to pay what Southampton wanted, so it is interesting that sometimes the owners are pressing Klopp to spend.

Klopp as always said he prefers to buy and develop the next up and coming player into a superstar, than buy a ready made superstar for a huge fee, similat what he has done with Mane & Salah.

FSG pressed to buy VVD and not Klopp, really, how do you know that crap? If that's true, I wonder why they didn't press to buy a good CB when we all knew we needed that and using our midfielders there would further unbalance the team. Who according to you should be held responsible for such a debacle, ie, from 1st on Christmas to not even 4th now?

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  KopTalk Team 

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Advertisements
Liverpool FC Discussion