Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
G
Under 16 Player
Under 16 Player
G
last season we had milner playing right back against Zaha. We had Fabinho playing at CB for a couple of games. We had Gini playing as a striker away against barcelona. We did fantastic last year, no one is denying that, but, we're in MORE competitions this year and City would never been in the situations we were in. Having to "get creative" with team selections as klopp would put it, is all well and good when it pays off but it still represents potential opportunities to drop points and lose games. Seeing as we're in a fantastic position in terms of our attractiveness to prospective players and the additional revenues we've generated, we should be taking this opportunity to strengthen our squad to bridge that gap between us and City. Everyone keeps saying that its only a 1 point difference. It isnt. City won the domestic treble and were a VAR cock-hair away from playing us in the C.L. final. The gap is MUCH bigger than 1 point.

Liverpool Legend
Liverpool Legend
To be fair, when Fab played at CB, we had Gomez, Mario and Lovren all injured. It’s not often that that will happen. Imagine if City had three CB’s injured. They’d have to get creative too. Any team would.

No one is saying we don’t need extra cover. It’s just not the end of the world scenario some would have you believe if we don’t though. Not ideal obviously.

R
Under 23 Player
Under 23 Player
R
We're European champions so it's not the end of the world if we don't spend a great deal, however.. we should now be looking to improve when and where we can, 2-3 players a season.

DS and Moreno left. We need LB cover and ideally a striker. If Coutinho's available, we should try for him at the right price.
Likewise a CB. Matip had a good few games, but if better is available, which it surely is, and we have the money, which we surely do, why wouldn't we want another CB close to en par with VvD?

I believe the biggest priority is a striker/front 3. No top team has such a drop in quality after one of the front 2-3 is injured. They wouldn't be asked to 'sit on the bench', they'd be rotated in numerous competitions.

A
Under 23 Player
Under 23 Player
A
Originally Posted By EnergisedReds
Originally Posted By SSO
Technically in a tight race it is usually a slip up somewhere that costs one or other team the title.

Had Brighton got a draw v City somehow that would have been a slip up by them.

Most on here would still have said City best team City best squad blah blah blah.

You get 97 points and everyone is looking to where it was lost. This season 4 weeks from kick off and everyone is getting the knives out already.

It's pathetic.

City have strengthened by one midfield player. This guy has to play pretty well before I could accept they have strengthened significantly.

Don't forget they have lost Kompany. That guy is worth 6 points a year in games he should have got sent off in alone.

Kompany didn't play a lot of games out of injury and City also slipped against Palace at home for example, if you call it slip. We won more games than them only just, scoring in the last minutes or so. City will probably get close to 100 pts again like in the last 2 seasons and yes they had/have a much better squad than ours despite having their best player De Bruyn out most of the season. We were lucky that our best players played a majority of games. Yes we can all hope but if we do not reinforce, no way we will win the league. Difficult to bet on a forum, but if possible I would be happy to bet a 100 quids, would you?

I am a betting man but I like a level playing field which we don't have with FFP not working.

You always state thread after thread after thread City have the better squad. Whilst I accept we score a lot of late late goals there is also a reason for that. Probably that we train harder and are ready for 90 minutes plus. It is not luck. Surely you must accept that?

I agree that Kompany didn't play much but he only played 59 times in the last 4 PL seasons. 17 times in each of the last 2 seasons compared to 11 and 14 in the 2 seasons prior to that. As captain he is going to be as missed for them as Gerrard was for us.

As for 100 points I think at the moment that is the minimum target. We know we are capable of GREAT things. 97 points and a CL win are proof of that. We should not be worried about what City will do or what they can do.

A
Under 23 Player
Under 23 Player
A
Originally Posted By wilkij1975
To be fair, when Fab played at CB, we had Gomez, Mario and Lovren all injured. It’s not often that that will happen. Imagine if City had three CB’s injured. They’d have to get creative too. Any team would.

No one is saying we don’t need extra cover. It’s just not the end of the world scenario some would have you believe if we don’t though. Not ideal obviously.

When City had lots of players missing they called on Delph. He played at full back when they lost v Palace and then Leicester. A real shame he got sent off v Leicester because he was suspended for the next game at Southampton where they survived a couple of scares. This is why I don't believe they are really that far ahead of us.

Liverpool Legend
Liverpool Legend
Originally Posted By SSO
Originally Posted By SSO
Technically in a tight race it is usually a slip up somewhere that costs one or other team the title.

Most on here would still have said City best team City best squad blah blah blah.

You get 97 points and everyone is looking to where it was lost. This season 4 weeks from kick off and everyone is getting the knives out already.

It's pathetic.

City have strengthened by one midfield player. This guy has to play pretty well before I could accept they have strengthened significantly.

Don't forget they have lost Kompany. That guy is worth 6 points a year in games he should have got sent off in alone.

Kompany didn't play a lot of games out of injury and City also slipped against Palace at home for example, if you call it slip. We won more games than them only just, scoring in the last minutes or so. City will probably get close to 100 pts again like in the last 2 seasons and yes they had/have a much better squad than ours despite having their best player De Bruyn out most of the season. We were lucky that our best players played a majority of games. Yes we can all hope but if we do not reinforce, no way we will win the league. Difficult to bet on a forum, but if possible I would be happy to bet a 100 quids, would you?

I am a betting man but I like a level playing field which we don't have with FFP not working.

You always state thread after thread after thread City have the better squad. Whilst I accept we score a lot of late late goals there is also a reason for that. Probably that we train harder and are ready for 90 minutes plus. It is not luck. Surely you must accept that?

I agree that Kompany didn't play much but he only played 59 times in the last 4 PL seasons. 17 times in each of the last 2 seasons compared to 11 and 14 in the 2 seasons prior to that. As captain he is going to be as missed for them as Gerrard was for us.

As for 100 points I think at the moment that is the minimum target. We know we are capable of GREAT things. 97 points and a CL win are proof of that. We should not be worried about what City will do or what they can do.

They broke their record transfer price to buy the midfield, so I can only assume he is good, though there are exceptions, usually good players come at a price. I am not sure, are you saying City doesn't have a better squad than ours?

E
1st Team Squad
1st Team Squad
E
Originally Posted By SSO
Originally Posted By SSO

It's pathetic.

They broke their record transfer price to buy the midfield, so I can only assume he is good, though there are exceptions, usually good players come at a price. I am not sure, are you saying City doesn't have a better squad than ours?

I think City will be slightly weaker this season, Kompany has left, I know he didn't play too many games, but he was a key player for Pep, look at how he brought him in for the run-in, just knowing he's around gives the team a lift, similar to how we were with Gerrard.

Fernandinho, Aguero & Silva are a year older, they are at an age now where they could go over a cliff at any time, they have been great players, but to play a full PL season takes it out of them. Saying that, they are still a great squad with strength in depth.

Klopp seems to be happy with the players coming back (Ox & Gomez) plus the injection of youth from the likes of Brewster & Wilson, so I think we are stronger than last season already, without making a signing.

My concern is if we lose a key player like a Mane or Firminho, we do not seem to have the quality to come in and replace them at the same level, Klopp seems to have identified Brewster as being ready to step up to that role, so we will see.

Also, I can see City targetting the CL this season, I work with a few City fans and they were saying they wanted back to back PL titles last season, as that shows a great team, previously they have dropped off the season after winning the PL, so I can see Pep and the owners really going for the CL now, it could be Pep's last season.

Last edited by ecnirp98; 14/07/19 11:50 AM.
A
Under 23 Player
Under 23 Player
A
Originally Posted By SSO
Originally Posted By SSO

It's pathetic.

No I am not saying their squad is better. There really isn't much in it all round. Their squad could still not cope with back to back defeats. We lost one PL game all season and in that game the ball didn't cross the line by 11mm and their captain should have got a red card. Perhaps we lost that game because our weak link was playing in the back 4 and got turned by Aguero in the box. It looks a better squad because they have £50m players on the bench but I wouldn't take Jesus for free and Mahrez is hit and miss.

I don't admire other teams. Unfortunately a lot of players and managers in the PL do and they give City too much rope by fielding under strength teams and letting City attack at will in order to keep the score down.

It is a close run thing all round. I wouldn't take any of their players over any of ours. Both teams play different football. Both get results. They only won the two cups because they were not severely tested by playing lower league teams.

Liverpool Legend
Liverpool Legend
Originally Posted By SSO

No I am not saying their squad is better. There really isn't much in it all round. Their squad could still not cope with back to back defeats. We lost one PL game all season and in that game the ball didn't cross the line by 11mm and their captain should have got a red card. Perhaps we lost that game because our weak link was playing in the back 4 and got turned by Aguero in the box. It looks a better squad because they have £50m players on the bench but I wouldn't take Jesus for free and Mahrez is hit and miss.

I don't admire other teams. Unfortunately a lot of players and managers in the PL do and they give City too much rope by fielding under strength teams and letting City attack at will in order to keep the score down.

It is a close run thing all round. I wouldn't take any of their players over any of ours. Both teams play different football. Both get results. They only won the two cups because they were not severely tested by playing lower league teams.

De Bruyn is better than any of our midfielders for me, who in our midfield you would say is better? I also think that the gap would more than 1 point if he was fit more often. David Silva is also better than any of our attacking midfielders.

A
Under 23 Player
Under 23 Player
A
Originally Posted By SSO

De Bruyn is better than any of our midfielders for me, who in our midfield you would say is better? I also think that the gap would more than 1 point if he was fit more often. David Silva is also better than any of our attacking midfielders.

As I said I wouldn't take any of them. We play a different brand of football. Our goals come from different areas.

Love to know how De Bruyne being fit more often would have made the gap more than 1 point. HE PLAYED IN 3 OF THE 4 PL MATCHES THEY LOST !!!

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  KopTalk Team 

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Advertisements
Liverpool FC Discussion