Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 142 of 174 1 2 140 141 142 143 144 173 174
Liverpool Legend
OP Offline
Liverpool Legend
There is no law that says you need to have a hard border with physical checks WTO rules only say you need an effective border. Also the backstop would guarantee a hard border and such a measure is only a temporary measure holding the whole of the uk in a customs union until such time as new arrangements can be agreed. So you don't have to be in a permanent customs union to avoid a hard border. Otherwise the British government would be campaigning for a permenant customs union which they are not.

IF YOU WANT TO BE HEARD SPEAK SOFTLY - BOB PAISLEY
Liverpool Legend
Liverpool Legend
Originally Posted By wilkij1975
I thought it was only a no deal that would mean physical borders? The backstop as I understand is to prevent a hard border for Ireland in the event that we can’t agree a trade deal within a certain period after we’ve left with a deal?

But who the fukk knows with all this ball hang?

Yes, the backstop means no hard border because you will be aligned with the EU tariffs and regulations, same as in a customs union. That's the whole debate, should the UK have it's own trade tariffs and regulations and therefore have a trade border (like Switzerland) with the EU including ROI or be in a or some sort of customs union.

Liverpool Legend
Liverpool Legend
Originally Posted By Stanley Park
There is no law that says you need to have a hard border with physical checks WTO rules only say you need an effective border. Also the backstop would guarantee a hard border and such a measure is only a temporary measure holding the whole of the uk in a customs union until such time as new arrangements can be agreed. So you don't have to be in a permanent customs union to avoid a hard border. Otherwise the British government would be campaigning for a permenant customs union which they are not.

The British government want/think that in the negotiated future trade deal there will be no borders while the EU doesn't see it that way, you know all the checks will be done electronically etc. Currently, the only possible exosting no border with the EU is if you are in a customs union. As I said, if you move goods to and from Switzerland you need customs paperwork and there are random customs checks while if you do the same thing with France, no paperworks, no checks.

Liverpool Legend
Liverpool Legend
Originally Posted By TiredReds
I thought it was only a no deal that would mean physical borders? The backstop as I understand is to prevent a hard border for Ireland in the event that we can’t agree a trade deal within a certain period after we’ve left with a deal?

Yes, the backstop means no hard border because you will be aligned with the EU tariffs and regulations, same as in a customs union. That's the whole debate, should the UK have it's own trade tariffs and regulations and therefore have a trade border (like Switzerland) with the EU including ROI or be in a or some sort of customs union.

But the backstop only kicks in if we can’t agree a trade deal within a certain time. Until then there won’t be a hard border between NI and ROI. As far as I can tell it’s only a no deal that would put that physical border there.

Liverpool Legend
OP Offline
Liverpool Legend
I don't even think no deal would put up a phyisical border. For starters who would put it up ? Britain ? Ireland ? The EU? donald trump ? Donald Duck ?

The Irish border trade is tiny and can easily be accommodated by trusted supplier and spot checks by the tax authorities just like happens today

S
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular
S
I don't even think no deal would put up a phyisical border. For starters who would put it up ? Britain ? Ireland ? The EU? donald trump ? Donald Duck ?

The Irish border trade is tiny and can easily be accommodated by trusted supplier and spot checks by the tax authorities just like happens today

The European Commission spokesman has just announced that there will be a hard border in Ireland if there is a No Deal Brexit.

Liverpool Legend
Liverpool Legend

But the backstop only kicks in if we can’t agree a trade deal within a certain time. Until then there won’t be a hard border between NI and ROI. As far as I can tell it’s only a no deal that would put that physical border there.

Yes of course. Until there is a trade deal (which should be agreed during the transition period unless extended) there will be no border with the backstop, which is basically a customs union. I am not sure what is your point.

Liverpool Legend
Liverpool Legend

I don't know what's a hard or soft border, but I am talking about a border to allow customs checks

Liverpool Legend
OP Offline
Liverpool Legend

I don't know what's a hard or soft border, but I am talking about a border to allow customs checks

A hard border is a physical checkpoint stopping your car and a customs officer with a pencil and clipboard questioning you or searching your vehicle. That is not necessary to check customs rules and it's silly it's being put forward as a political weapon. Especially since the trade over the border (south vs north) is minuscule. Just small amounts of aggregates and farm produce.

Liverpool Legend
Liverpool Legend

A hard border is a physical checkpoint stopping your car and a customs officer with a pencil and clipboard questioning you or searching your vehicle. That is not necessary to check customs rules and it's silly it's being put forward as a political weapon. Especially since the trade over the border (south vs north) is minuscule. Just small amounts of aggregates and farm produce.

So how would you suggest goods in a container on a truck is checked if/when it is entering the EU from UK? I've said that before but stubborn as you are you don't seem to understand, the problem is not the minuscule trade between UK and ROI but potential contraband from UK to the EU if there are no checks but trade regulations and tariffs are not aligned. Will wait for your response.

Page 142 of 174 1 2 140 141 142 143 144 173 174

Moderated by  KopTalk Team 

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Advertisements
Liverpool FC Discussion