Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Pickles Offline OP
1st Team Squad
OP Offline
1st Team Squad
Jihadi Bride Shamima Begum Given UK Taxpayer Funded Legal Aid

A jihadi bride is set to receive large sums of taxpayer-funded legal aid from the British government despite having her citizenship revoked.
Shamima Begum left the UK to join the Islamic State in Syria in 2015 when she was 15 years old, where she married a Dutch citizen jihadi fighter with whom she had three children.

Now the controversial figure is to receive large sums of public money in legal aid to fight her case to return to the UK. The BBC reports the decision to give her financial aid to challenge the government’s decision to revoke her citizenship has already been made.

Foreign Secretary Jeremy Hunt said of the case “on a personal level, it makes me very uncomfortable because she made a series of choices and she knew the choices she was making, so I think we made decisions about her future based on those choices.”

He continued, “However, we are a country that believes that people with limited means should have access to the resources of the state if they want to challenge the decisions the state has made about them and, for obvious reasons, those decisions are made independent from politicians.”

He added that “The decision to deprive her of her citizenship was taken by a politician. Obviously the decision about whether she accesses legal aid or not has to be done independently,” reports the Daily Telegraph.

Tory MP Philip Davies called the decision to grant Begum legal aid “absolutely disgusting”, adding, “How she has been allowed to sponge off taxpayers’ money to get back into a country that she hates is absolutely ridiculous.”

Despite volunteering to live under the brutal regime of the Islamic State, Begum has pleaded her innocence, claiming she was lured to Syria under false pretences and was a simple housewife under the regime. New evidence has since come to light, however, that suggests that Begum was allowed to carry a Kalashnikov rifle and was a ‘morality enforcer’ in the caliphate, enforcing rules such as strict dress codes for women.

In this role, she is believed to have seen many women lashed or imprisoned for violating strict IS laws. One activist said of the morality enforcers and of Begum herself, “some of them were very harsh and the local population became very scared,” and that they all “knew Begum well”.

Begum, who previously spoke of being unmoved by seeing a decapitated head in a bin, is currently in a Syrian refugee camp where she has been since the collapse of the IS caliphate. She has requested to return to Britain but her citizenship was revoked by Home Secretary Sajid Javid in February.

The jihadi bride has now recruited one of the UK’s top human rights lawyers to defend her in her bid to be allowed to return to the UK. Gareth Peirce has previously represented hate preacher Abu Qatada and has been previously described as representing “every accused Jihadist and IRA suspect”.

Liverpool Legend
Liverpool Legend
It’s shitte like this that adds to the mess this country is in. And then you have fukking nob heads like Corbyn the terrorist sympathiser saying it’s only right!

Liverpool Legend
Liverpool Legend
The hillsborough families never got legal aid.

Actually our suicide vest maker jihadi bride has nor applied for it lawyers apply for it on her behalf and can make up to £200k it's just a racket for the legal profession. The lawyer pockets the taxpayer legal fees and if she wins, she sues the British government

It's insane and we are insane

Last edited by Stanley Park; 16/04/19 07:04 PM.

IF YOU WANT TO BE HEARD SPEAK SOFTLY - BOB PAISLEY
R
Under 18 Player
Under 18 Player
R
As expected...

Will be interesting to see what angle they use to justify her return, I say this as I believe her "new born" died (RIP), the baby was going to be the way of return to UK..

Rafa B,
Freeman of the land,
UKColoumn news,Russia today news.
Getoutofdebtfree.co.uk
YNWA....
A
Under 23 Player
Under 23 Player
A
Originally Posted By RafaB
As expected...

Will be interesting to see what angle they use to justify her return, I say this as I believe her "new born" died (RIP), the baby was going to be the way of return to UK..

Yep she is as subtle as any girl getting herself up the stick to get a council flat rent free.

R
Under 18 Player
Under 18 Player
R
Think this girl is a tad more explosive than your normal UK young mum...could be wrong..

Rafa B,
Freeman of the land,
UKColoumn news,Russia today news.
Getoutofdebtfree.co.uk
YNWA....
Liverpool Legend
Liverpool Legend
As expected...

Is she not a British citizen still? UK could take away her nationality on the grounds of no double nationality, but this is not the law in UK and in any case the IS has not been recognised as a state by UK, so this won't hold in court. I wonder what should happen if she arrives at UK borders with a British passport, she would probably be put in jail but don't think she can be refused access

Liverpool Legend
Liverpool Legend
Originally Posted By TiredReds
As expected...

Is she not a British citizen still? UK could take away her nationality on the grounds of no double nationality, but this is not the law in UK and in any case the IS has not been recognised as a state by UK, so this won't hold in court. I wonder what should happen if she arrives at UK borders with a British passport, she would probably be put in jail but don't think she can be refused access

For what she’s done she doesn’t deserve even going to jail. Hopefully we’ll take our time and she’ll end up getting what she deserves out there.

Liverpool Legend
Liverpool Legend
Originally Posted By wilkij1975
Originally Posted By TiredReds
As expected...

For what she’s done she doesn’t deserve even going to jail. Hopefully we’ll take our time and she’ll end up getting what she deserves out there.

I agree, was just wondering from a legal point

Moderated by  KopTalk Team 

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Advertisements
Liverpool FC Discussion