Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 19 of 19 1 2 17 18 19
C
1st Team Squad
1st Team Squad
C
Originally Posted By ecnirp98
Man Utd let him go as he couldn't get in the first team as they had the likes of Ferdinand/Vidic/Evans etc, so he left to get games, nothing wrong with that.

Keane is not potential, he is a very good established PL defender.

Lets see what happens with VvD, I think Southampton are going to stand firm for a huge fee like £75+million, which I doubt we will pay, this will come down to what VvD wants and if he is willing to force a move.

So one season of Premiership football makes him a very good established Premiership defender? That's exactly the same as Lovren when we bought him. Charlie Adam was a good Premiership midfielder for Blackpool, he was rubbish for us. As was Stewart Downing, who'd been a solid Premiership performer for years before joining us.

Playing and looking good for a Burnley side who are happy surviving in this league and are the underdogs for most games, is very different to playing for Liverpool where his every performance and mistake will be heavily scrutinised.

E
1st Team Squad
1st Team Squad
E
Originally Posted By Chris2402
Man Utd let him go as he couldn't get in the first team as they had the likes of Ferdinand/Vidic/Evans etc, so he left to get games, nothing wrong with that.

Keane is not potential, he is a very good established PL defender.

Lets see what happens with VvD, I think Southampton are going to stand firm for a huge fee like £75+million, which I doubt we will pay, this will come down to what VvD wants and if he is willing to force a move.

So one season of Premiership football makes him a very good established Premiership defender? That's exactly the same as Lovren when we bought him. Charlie Adam was a good Premiership midfielder for Blackpool, he was rubbish for us. As was Stewart Downing, who'd been a solid Premiership performer for years before joining us.

Playing and looking good for a Burnley side who are happy surviving in this league and are the underdogs for most games, is very different to playing for Liverpool where his every performance and mistake will be heavily scrutinised.

Some of the players you mentioned we knew they had limitations when we bought them, Charlie Adam was a good passer but had no legs/pace, we knew that, I always thought Downing was a decent player, we just massively overpaid, when he left allot of the fans didn't want him to leave, he had a decent career after he left us.

There is an element of risk when you buy any player, wherever they come from or what you pay, VvD has that risk with his injury he is coming back from, I also saw a few forwards get the better of him, so I think people are painting him to be a world class CB, I don't see that, but he is a very good player and would be an improvement on what we have now, which is all we can ask for, I also think Keane would be an improvement on what we have now.

Is Keane an improvement over Lovren & Klavan? I think he is, he has more pace than Klavan and is a more solid defender than Lovren.

Seems irrelevant anyways as it looks like Everton are doing the deal, I just think we are missing a good player, there's a reason Everton are in for him. Hopefully we have another decent CB lined up, as I do not see the VvD deal happening, I hope it does, he would be a good signing and would improve our defence.

L
Under 16 Player
OP Offline
Under 16 Player
L
Originally Posted By paul66
I'd rather we got a free transfer in on defence if we do not get a top class CB and spend the money elsewhere. Or wait until someone becomes available

Yeh I agree with both your comments , the good news is Klopp (unlike Rodgers) is hard-headed enough to hold out for class players and not invest big money for second rate players, I'd rather that too, even a loan would do. The bad news is that usually causes an uproar similar to last January , in hindsight a loan would've done in jan? But long term Klopp should hold out for only top class players he can get.

Whatever it takes to show FSG it's top targets or nothing.
FSG are taking klopp's coaching ability for granted ,
Yeah sure we'd be better off with some second rate 30mill defender as it's prob an upgrade on klavan , but really that's not going to get us anywhere long term.

Who knows , maybe Sakho may get an opportunity and he's price will rise again ???

also do you think Robertson Is worth it? I'm not sure I haven't seen him.
I'd rather they just loan a left back and use money from selling Moreno to increase offer for VvD smile

Last edited by LFCDownUnder; 01/07/17 05:29 PM.

It is about pushing the train, not jumping on a running train.’ That is what we need here. It’s not allowed to take the history in the backpack
L
Under 16 Player
OP Offline
Under 16 Player
L
@ Hercules

Let's hope Klopp can suprise us all and give that transfer committee a proper shake up , atm Klopp and the squad he has built gives me hope it can somehow overcome the obstacles of FSG. Let's hope so mate. I'm still hoping for VvD.

I know it sounds crazy but I think with VvD we'll win the league!!!

It is about pushing the train, not jumping on a running train.’ That is what we need here. It’s not allowed to take the history in the backpack
C
1st Team Squad
1st Team Squad
C

Some of the players you mentioned we knew they had limitations when we bought them, Charlie Adam was a good passer but had no legs/pace, we knew that, I always thought Downing was a decent player, we just massively overpaid, when he left allot of the fans didn't want him to leave, he had a decent career after he left us.

There is an element of risk when you buy any player, wherever they come from or what you pay, VvD has that risk with his injury he is coming back from, I also saw a few forwards get the better of him, so I think people are painting him to be a world class CB, I don't see that, but he is a very good player and would be an improvement on what we have now, which is all we can ask for, I also think Keane would be an improvement on what we have now.

Is Keane an improvement over Lovren & Klavan? I think he is, he has more pace than Klavan and is a more solid defender than Lovren.

Seems irrelevant anyways as it looks like Everton are doing the deal, I just think we are missing a good player, there's a reason Everton are in for him. Hopefully we have another decent CB lined up, as I do not see the VvD deal happening, I hope it does, he would be a good signing and would improve our defence.

I don't believe Van Dijk to be a world class centre back yet, but his game and abilities are much more suited to us than Michael Keane.

You say he's more solid than Lovren? Would you say he's more solid than the Lovren we bought from Southampton after he'd just had an excellent season? The answer is no. Signing Michael Keane is exactly the same type of signing as Dejan Lovren a few years ago, a decent centre back, but not one that will take us to the next level, and not one who will feature for a team attempting to win the league.

Liverpool Legend
Liverpool Legend
Originally Posted By LFCDownUnder
@ Hercules

Let's hope Klopp can suprise us all and give that transfer committee a proper shake up , atm Klopp and the squad he has built gives me hope it can somehow overcome the obstacles of FSG. Let's hope so mate. I'm still hoping for VvD.

I know it sounds crazy but I think with VvD we'll win the league!!!

So when did you decide that we would win the league with VVD in the team, I am just curious?

P
Under 23 Player
Under 23 Player
P
I am just off the thinking that CB is high priority this summer and I would rather we overspend on it to get it fixed. Than to underspend and not fix our defence.

So if we have to overspend in defense to cut cost on another position I am all for that. If it's Vvd or some other player of that standard I do not care.

Liverpool Legend
Liverpool Legend
Originally Posted By paul66
I am just off the thinking that CB is high priority this summer and I would rather we overspend on it to get it fixed. Than to underspend and not fix our defence.

So if we have to overspend in defense to cut cost on another position I am all for that. If it's Vvd or some other player of that standard I do not care.

What do you mean by overspend, should we get somebody at 100m for example?

Page 19 of 19 1 2 17 18 19

Moderated by  KopTalk Team 

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Advertisements
Liverpool FC Discussion