Brighton v Liverpool

Posted by: Snakeye

Brighton v Liverpool - 27/11/20 08:39 AM

Alisson
Milner Matip Fabinho Robertson

Wijnaldum Henderson

Salah Firmino Mane

Jota

Henderson back in training so he starts for me. We need to bounce back.
Posted by: Oli

Re: Brighton v Liverpool - 27/11/20 09:00 AM

Brighton normally try to play from the back and that will help us I hope. Yes we need to win without too much running as we have a big game Tuesday.
Posted by: Stanley Park

Re: Brighton v Liverpool - 28/11/20 08:44 AM

lunchtime kick off that can only mean only mean one thing. Sausage rolls freshly baked at half time with a cup of tea

Re: Brighton v Liverpool - 28/11/20 11:44 AM

Alisson, Robertson, Fabinho, Philips, Neco W, Wijnaldum, Milner, Minamino, Firmino, Jota, Salah.

Strange line up, Matip not in the squad dear oh dear he has gone on another 6 week holiday I presume. Henderson and Mane bench.

Re: Brighton v Liverpool - 28/11/20 11:58 AM

Now Klopp is being stubborn about making a player out of Neco. If Matip is injured yet again he is useless. Maybe being kept until CL.
Posted by: kernowred

Re: Brighton v Liverpool - 28/11/20 12:30 PM

big game for Minamino.i thought he was out of favour but he was obviously left out on wednesday with today in mind.he needs a good game today.

Re: Brighton v Liverpool - 28/11/20 02:24 PM

Mina and Neco should not play again.

Re: Brighton v Liverpool - 28/11/20 02:38 PM

Subbing our top scorer out when he has played less minutes in the last few games and did not play internationals was fkn stupid. We were flat anyway with all of them out there why weaken us any further? Mane has been tired and did nothing when he came on. Bizarre decision.

Re: Brighton v Liverpool - 28/11/20 02:42 PM

The penalty is just a travesty honestly, 2 players going for the ball they will contact each other accidentally, Welback delaying 3 secs before diving aswell, the ref was against us, wouldn't be surprised if he is from Manchester.
Posted by: kernowred

Re: Brighton v Liverpool - 28/11/20 03:23 PM

amazing how a player can be 5 mm offside and the goal is ruled out but an attacker who has no control of the ball and facing away from goal get awarded a penalty cos his toe got tickled.and even that only happens when VAR can not see a clear and obvious error.the game is a shambles.
Posted by: ecnirp98

Re: Brighton v Liverpool - 28/11/20 06:07 PM

VAR is best at definitive decisions, that can be measured, like if a player is offside or not, todays penalty was a joke, Wellbeck never had the ball under control and was not denied an obvious scoring opportunity, it was a coming together of 2 people challenging for a ball, the ref never saw a problem and should have been left to referee the game, it was not a clear and obvious mistake that needed VAR.

Re: Brighton v Liverpool - 28/11/20 06:21 PM

I can accept the disallowed goals mane was clearly offside salah one millimetre daft but that's the rules. But the penalty against robertson was the craziest decision I have seen in 50 years of watching football professional or amateur
Posted by: Pickles

Re: Brighton v Liverpool - 29/11/20 03:43 AM

I'm dumbfounded about that penalty being given and Brighton robbing us of 2 points? However, Klopp made a huge error in taking Salah off because he was our most dangerous player out there. He should have taken lightweight Minamino off and the game would have been so much different, probably sewn up before the last VAR controversial pen!

Has Minamino ever played a decent game for us?

Re: Brighton v Liverpool - 29/11/20 03:44 AM

We got robbed again and not at night, it was daylight robbery,that was never a penalty in a million years and Welbeck staying on his feet for 3 seconds before going down is a joke, even the first one the striker just tangled his legs with Williams and conned the ref. That's 4 points stolen off us this season, 2 against Everton and 2 against Brighton. We should have 25 points, disgraceful officiating. Just scrap var, it's clearly not working, cannot celebrate a goal anymore, what's the point of watching football anymore.
Posted by: elimmel

Re: Brighton v Liverpool - 29/11/20 04:01 AM

The pen is definitely debatable as itís not a clear obvious error as what the VAR team will like it to be.
What I donít like is the replays thatís being showed to the Ref at the monitor is in slow mo and only at that particular moment. It warps the whole situation at times.
It should be shown in real time as on field, the ref do not make decisions in slow mo.

Re: Brighton v Liverpool - 29/11/20 05:00 AM

Originally Posted By elimmel
The pen is definitely debatable as itís not a clear obvious error as what the VAR team will like it to be.
What I donít like is the replays thatís being showed to the Ref at the monitor is in slow mo and only at that particular moment. It warps the whole situation at times.
It should be shown in real time as on field, the ref do not make decisions in slow mo.

Michael Owen has been saying this since last season and it is as you say wrong because it creates more scrutiny on the incident watching a 1 second clip on repeat. They should watch it at normal speed.

Re: Brighton v Liverpool - 29/11/20 09:33 AM

Originally Posted By kernowred
big game for Minamino.i thought he was out of favour but he was obviously left out on wednesday with today in mind.he needs a good game today.

It did not occur increasingly looking like we signed a dud

Re: Brighton v Liverpool - 29/11/20 11:31 AM

Originally Posted By Stanley Park

He was played out of position in midfield because of our injuries. This is also his first 90mins in a league game. I wouldn't call him a flop just yet.

Re: Brighton v Liverpool - 29/11/20 12:39 PM

Originally Posted By Snakeye
Originally Posted By Stanley Park

He was played out of position in midfield because of our injuries. This is also his first 90mins in a league game. I wouldn't call him a flop just yet.

I agree, he needs to be given more time, this is a new league for him also and he has joined us during a pandemic, where everything has been thrown out of normality , Robertson hardly played for us for 6 months and had played in the PL before, let us see him with the full team when we have more players fit.
Posted by: van Gogh

Re: Brighton v Liverpool - 29/11/20 06:51 PM

But he does look lightweight though, regardless of the number of games he has been involved in.

We have only 3 men in midfield, and sticking that kind of luxury player there just hands the control of the midfield area over to the opposition.

He is simply a forward player in a 4-3-3 formation or a winger in a 4-2-3-1 formation. Nothing more nothing less. If Klopp can't hand him one of those spots then no use bother about Minamino in the squad.
Posted by: The Kop Prophet

Re: Brighton v Liverpool - 29/11/20 07:14 PM

Minamino and Origi need game time to get going. They're not going to get it... so they will always struggle. You simply can't play one game in ten and turn it on.
Posted by: EnergisedReds

Re: Brighton v Liverpool - 29/11/20 07:25 PM

Originally Posted By The Kop Prophet
Minamino and Origi need game time to get going. They're not going to get it... so they will always struggle. You simply can't play one game in ten and turn it on.

Jota did
Posted by: van Gogh

Re: Brighton v Liverpool - 30/11/20 06:50 AM

But that's not the usual outcome, is it?

You have to buy players that look to be able to fit in, and then give them time.

Origi is just Origi, and Minamino was bought just because he was cheap and had one good game against us in the CL. That's a weak foundation for a transfer decision imo. No wonder he is struggling to settle in.
Posted by: jim_beam

Re: Brighton v Liverpool - 30/11/20 10:38 AM

Originally Posted By EnergisedReds
Originally Posted By The Kop Prophet

Jota did

Jota was playing week in week out in the premier league for Wolves, Minamino has come from Salzburg and not really had a good run, Origi whilst I am a fan of his abilities is not having any impact on the team anymore and is so far behind the pecking order I think it's the right time to sell.

Re: Brighton v Liverpool - 30/11/20 10:45 AM

Without going into the crazy moments of VAR and our half depleted squad I think we are coping quite well so far. Still joint top well in the mix so we have to take some context, the farce that was the Everton game means we should be 2 clear.

One note that I made in the last ten minutes, I was just thinking we still can't put a few easy passes together to keep possession and just try and see the game out. I saw us just booting the ball up the field trying to attack thinking that if we keep giving the ball back to them we are just inviting pressure. I know it's how we play but I don't understand why the players can't assess whats happening on the pitch and just knock it about for a few minutes. Game management desperately needed.
Posted by: EnergisedReds

Re: Brighton v Liverpool - 30/11/20 11:10 AM

Originally Posted By jim_beam
Without going into the crazy moments of VAR and our half depleted squad I think we are coping quite well so far. Still joint top well in the mix so we have to take some context, the farce that was the Everton game means we should be 2 clear.

One note that I made in the last ten minutes, I was just thinking we still can't put a few easy passes together to keep possession and just try and see the game out. I saw us just booting the ball up the field trying to attack thinking that if we keep giving the ball back to them we are just inviting pressure. I know it's how we play but I don't understand why the players can't assess whats happening on the pitch and just knock it about for a few minutes. Game management desperately needed.

This season looks a very close race and being top or even 5th means nothing so far. If we play as we did on Saturday, we can forget 1st place. We were probably too tired for an early kick off as Klopp seemed to say and as I said, injuries will most probably be a big part of the final position, we are really not coping well with injuries

Re: Brighton v Liverpool - 30/11/20 02:50 PM

Happy to be proved wrong with minsmino he looked awesome when we played Salzburg but to be fair he has been here a year so the need more time argument does not stack up. As for playing out of position yes agreed partly a good midfield player should be able to play anywhere in midfield the true position of minamino is further forward but he has no chance of ousting our top four.

As I say happy to be proved wrong but right now I can't see the point of him

Re: Brighton v Liverpool - 30/11/20 04:29 PM

Originally Posted By van Gogh

You have to buy players that look to be able to fit in, and then give them time.

Origi is just Origi, and Minamino was bought just because he was cheap and had one good game against us in the CL. That's a weak foundation for a transfer decision imo. No wonder he is struggling to settle in.

From what I have heard, we take our time assessing players, we do not jump on the latest name, the transfer team check their history/personality etc to make sure they will fit in, so I doubt we signed him as he was cheap, he was a player we were interested in and who had a good release clause we could use, that is why we have been so successful in the transfer market over the last few years.

As other have said, he has come from a different league, moved to a new country with a new language in the midst of a pandemic where he has probably been in isolation on his own, with very little game time, so with all this, it is far too early to judge him.

Re: Brighton v Liverpool - 01/12/20 10:37 AM

Originally Posted By ecnirp98
Originally Posted By van Gogh

From what I have heard, we take our time assessing players, we do not jump on the latest name, the transfer team check their history/personality etc to make sure they will fit in, so I doubt we signed him as he was cheap, he was a player we were interested in and who had a good release clause we could use, that is why we have been so successful in the transfer market over the last few years.

As other have said, he has come from a different league, moved to a new country with a new language in the midst of a pandemic where he has probably been in isolation on his own, with very little game time, so with all this, it is far too early to judge him.

Agree, I don't know if Van Gogh was being deliberately tongue in cheek with that comment.

I don't think we buy players on a whim (not many anyway) that's pretty obvious if you know anything about how the club is run now. Look at the difference between our policy to what United are doing which just looks like Ed Woodward throwing darts at a board.

Thing I like about him most at the moment and why I'm prepared to give more time is his attitude and work ethic look to be fantastic.
Posted by: RedJohn

Re: Brighton v Liverpool - 01/12/20 05:28 PM

You have to hand it to Everton, they really did a number on us.

Not the 2 points but VvD out for most of the season and Thiago out until the new year. Best result they could've hoped for.
With Fabinho permanent CB we could have really used Thiago at the moment, esp with Spurs coming up.
If we're still a few points off in January I'll be happy.

I feel for Keita but we need to get rid of these injury prone players, just can't be relied upon. No idea if Ox is even still alive!