Rating: 3
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#630005 11/12/19 07:08 AM
V
1st Team Squad
OP Offline
1st Team Squad
V
On Monday the CL 1/8-final draw takes place. Who can we be drawn against? Who do we want to play?

Liverpool won group E and are therefore seeded in monday's draw in Nyon in Switzerland.

All group winners are seeded and can't be drawn against each other.

There are still games to be played today, but all groups have already a certain winner. That means Liverpool can't face these teams:

Barcelona, Bayern München, Juventus, Manchester City, RB Leipzig, Valencia and Paris Saint-Germain.

These teams are through as 2:nd in their respective group:

Napoli, Tottenham, Chelsea, Real Madrid, Borussia Dortmund and Lyon.

Tonight are the last games in the group stage being played, and in 2 groups it is not yet decided who will reach 2:nd place:

In group C it is either Shakhtar Donetsk, Dinamo Zagreb or Atalanta who can survive the group phase.

In group D it stands between Atletico Madrid and Bayer Leverkusen.

Liverpool can't be drawn against Napoli since we were in the same group as them. And we can't be drawn against Chelsea or Tottenham either. 2 teams from the same nation can't face each other before the quarter finals.

It is in other words these teams who are potential opponents in the draw on Monday: Real Madrid, Borussia Dortmund, Lyon, Shakhtar/Dinamo/Atalanta, Atletico Madrid/Bayer Leverkusen.

What do You say. Do we want an opponent as easy as possible, or do we want to kick Real out of the competition right from the start of the knock out stages?

Are you of the opinion that we need to be able to win against any team to deserve to win the competition? Or do we need an easy draw to be able to focus on the PL title that we should have won many moons ago?

Questions, questions - but what are the answers? smile

Last edited by van Gogh; 11/12/19 07:08 AM.
Liverpool Legend
Liverpool Legend
The obvious ‘easy’ one would be Atalanta if they progress. I wouldn’t want Shaktar for the travelling and of the rest I don’t think any one would be better than the others.

I’d go with Lyon though as they’re close and probably the weakest of those already confirmed.

1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular
Hopefully we are lucky enough to avoid Real Madrid, I know they are an aging squad and aren't as good as they use to but they have the experience and know how to win games plus I really don't want to face an angry Bale if he comes off the bench to prove a point like he did last time. Atalanta or Lyon would be an ideal opponent for the round of 16, keeping the hard ones in the later rounds.

Back to Back World Champions baby!
1st Team Squad
1st Team Squad
I wouldn't be fretting too much if we got Real Madrid especially now with VAR. We don't have Karius who was responsible for 2 goals with his comedic routine in that Final and Ramos won't be able to blatantly assault any of our players without it being picked up by VAR. Up to the point of Ramos' assault we had Real Madrid on the ropes besides we have come a long way since then and I think we'd dismantle Real Madrid so bring them on!

V
1st Team Squad
OP Offline
1st Team Squad
V
But we wan't an as easy walk as possible, don't we?

We don't have anything to prove in this comp. We just want to win it.

We need to be as fresh as possible to get that long overdue PL win. And our squad is thin. Look at our CB's. Only VvD and Gomez left to choose from, and we're only in the beginning of december.

I'd like Lyon or Atalanta. Short away trips and reasonably easy opponents.

V
Under 23 Player
Under 23 Player
V
Originally Posted By van Gogh

We need to be as fresh as possible to get that long overdue PL win. And our squad is thin. Look at our CB's. Only VvD and Gomez left to choose from, and we're only in the beginning of december.

We don't do easy remember.

E
1st Team Squad
1st Team Squad
E
Originally Posted By Vicdamone
Originally Posted By van Gogh

We don't do easy remember.

We always struggle against the 'easier' teams, we are the holders and every team will fear us, so I do not really care who we get, to win it again we will have to beat the best teams and we have proven we can do that.

The big thing is to take some of the pressure of the fixtures/squad, if we can extend/maintain our lead in the PL between now & CL starting up again in February, we will be able to cope with the extra CL mid week games.

T
Under 23 Player
Under 23 Player
T
It would be good to knock Real Madrid out... but can't trust them... Ramos & Co would play dirty and could cause serious injuries to key players again which could cost us in the league.

'I was only in the game for the love of football - and I wanted to bring back happiness to the people of Liverpool.' Bill Shankly

'We should have made a signing or two in the last couple of transfer windows.' Vish
1st Team Squad
1st Team Squad
The only one I really don't want is Atletico. Style mismatch.

O
Oli Offline
Under 16 Player
Under 16 Player
O
Originally Posted By redordead13
The only one I really don't want is Atletico. Style mismatch.
Agree.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  KopTalk Team 

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Advertisements
Liverpool FC Discussion