Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#628479 21/10/19 04:57 PM
Liverpool Legend
OP Offline
Liverpool Legend
Looks to me that the league using the VAR the least effectively is the EPL. The possibility to check on the monitor has been given to refs but they haven't used it a single time. I thought there was no monitor for the ref in the stadium, but just found out it is there. They should go every time the VAR refs tell them there is an incident, as it was in the WC and other leagues. Are they thinking too highly of themselves or what, ie, they cannot make mistakes? Appalling

A
Under 23 Player
Under 23 Player
A
Totally agree. They are hiding behind VAR hoping it will back them up. At the end of the day they are still in charge yet they are relying on someone else watching it to make a decision when they can watch the exact same footage themselves on a monitor and have a second stab at it. For years we have all been armchair referees and have had the benefit of replays. Even then we have to say we get it wrong first time, then right then wrong again.

I think what they are scared of is getting it wrong twice. Once on the pitch and once at the monitor.

The number of VAR issues on Saturday were ridiculous and this needs sorting out.

As much as I do not like VAR if we are going to have it then use it properly.

E
Under 18 Player
Under 18 Player
E
Classic example of passing the buck and nothing gets done. Ref plays on leaving it to VAR and VAR, with their high bar, leaves it to the ref.
Only clear cut cases will be offsides and handball in the box.

Under 23 Player
Under 23 Player
so many more negatives than positives with VAR.the refs just need to be better.they wont but i think they should ditch it.

T
Under 18 Player
Under 18 Player
T
It's really quite simple. Just correct every wrong call - that's it! No need to worry about embarrassing the ref - no other sport does. So far, we use VAR to get every single handball right, every single fractional offside right.... but it's been absolutely useless at overturning the ref's wrong decisions on pens and goals. So what's the point? If incorrect decisions are allowed to stand - or the refs can't be bothered to check the monitors - or we can't overturn anything a ref has called that leads to a pen or a goal then there's no point having it at all.

VAR is fine - the way we use it is moronic.

Liverpool Legend
OP Offline
Liverpool Legend
Originally Posted By The Kop Prophet
It's really quite simple. Just correct every wrong call - that's it! No need to worry about embarrassing the ref - no other sport does. So far, we use VAR to get every single handball right, every single fractional offside right.... but it's been absolutely useless at overturning the ref's wrong decisions on pens and goals. So what's the point? If incorrect decisions are allowed to stand - or the refs can't be bothered to check the monitors - or we can't overturn anything a ref has called that leads to a pen or a goal then there's no point having it at all.

VAR is fine - the way we use it is moronic.

VAR is not supposed to overturn a decision, it was always said that the ref will take the final decision. However, they should go and check the bloody monitor. That said, it is still better having it than not even now, at least for the offside decisions which is very difficult to judge without technology.

O
Oli Offline
Under 16 Player
Under 16 Player
O
When i was at Old Trafford for the United game there was this one Icelander who lost it when we equalized and celebrated like crazy. He was thrown out but at that point it still had not been confirmed that it was a legal goal. So he could have been thrown out for not even a goal. It kills the real sensation and joy to wait 3, 4 maybe 5 minutes to know if it was worth celebrating or not.

E
Under 18 Player
Under 18 Player
E
Heard this comment from one of the match commentators that VAR high bar excuse is just being used by the ref band of brothers protecting themselves.
It certainly feels that way to me.

Liverpool Legend
OP Offline
Liverpool Legend
Originally Posted By kernowred
so many more negatives than positives with VAR.the refs just need to be better.they wont but i think they should ditch it.

There is no reason to ditch it as all mistakes would have stayed anyway without VAR and on top of that corrected mistakes like offsides and handballs would not have been overturned. They just need to check on the monitor whenever there are controversial decisions, as it is done in all other leagues and tournament. You shouldn't throw the baby with the his bath. It's true that not all mistakes will be corrected and views will differ, but at least there will be a significant improvement.

Oli #628548 24/10/19 01:20 PM
Liverpool Legend
OP Offline
Liverpool Legend
Originally Posted By Oli
When i was at Old Trafford for the United game there was this one Icelander who lost it when we equalized and celebrated like crazy. He was thrown out but at that point it still had not been confirmed that it was a legal goal. So he could have been thrown out for not even a goal. It kills the real sensation and joy to wait 3, 4 maybe 5 minutes to know if it was worth celebrating or not.

It's like that in other sports, was watching the rugby WC and nobody complains about it as it makes the game fairer. Without it Wales wouldn't have won as the French player would have stayed on the field

Last edited by EnergisedReds; 24/10/19 01:21 PM.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  KopTalk Team 

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Advertisements
Liverpool FC Discussion