Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#637253 21/02/21 05:58 AM
Liverpool Legend
OP Offline
Liverpool Legend
We can't win games anymore at home, could say all games but there was the exception in the CL when we scored from 2 blatant mistakes. We keep huge possession without creating the corresponding number of chances and looks to me that Klopp doesn't have another tactic. Our team is full of midfielders which was probably an advantage when it was a new game plan, but now, everybody seems to know exactly what we'll do, listening to Carlo yesterday. Yes, there is the defensive issue, but we can't even score anymore. Problem is, I don't think we have players to play differently, mainly no true CF and no wingers who have played on the wings. Can Klopp sort this out by changing the system, have started to ask myself, maybe he is burnt out as it happens under too much pressure and his assistant looks to be his clone, I think unlike 'The Brain' who was probably challenging Klopp's thoughts. We are in deep shyte, to say the least

T
Under 23 Player
Under 23 Player
T
In my view, we are to a large extent unfortunate victims of circumstances and victims of our own success.

Klopp operated on a moderate and controlled budget compared to Man City and Chelsea and probably even Man United. We don't pay the same wages and we don't buy the best players if others are in for them too. (The only best player we can claim to have bought perhaps is VVD). Despite this, he built a hugely competitive team (not squad) that ruffled City's feathers. How?

Klopp's team couldn't outplay City at their in their own style. His team relies on passion, speed, intensity as well as skill and talent. A lot of this also requires fan involvement. Klopp has been open about the importance of the fans in the stadium since the beginning. He used the power of the stadium in Dortmund too.

So we have a group of about 11-14 players that he coached to believe in themselves, believe in the group, incorporate the energy of the fans, play a certain way and the whole package delivered 1 EPL title, 1 CL title, and 1 near miss in each.

Now though circumstances have changed:

1. Other teams know exactly how we will play and who will play each week. They therefore are better prepared, esp. the teams that are only looking to avoid defeat.

2. Our players have been playing this way for 3-4 years. The last two seasons especially have been very intense. Some players perhaps aren't at the same level anymore, either technically or psychologically. e.g. Firminho?

3. We haven't invested in the squad. e.g. Why has Origi been with us so long if he makes very little contribution? Why do we have defenders in the matchday squad that we don't have confidence in?

4. If not City, the other teams around us have invested to try and catch up, esp. Man United and Chelsea.

5. Covid. Shorter pre-season; more frequent games during the season, an empty Anfield - no home fans to take energy and inspiration from.

6. Bad luck - VVD & Jota injuries.

There were signs even before we sealed the title that our form had dipped and that we needed to refresh the team and improve the squad. But we didn't heed the warning signs. We failed to invest sufficiently, esp. in defence. The Covid situation has simply but brutally exposed our limitations.

'I was only in the game for the love of football - and I wanted to bring back happiness to the people of Liverpool.' Bill Shankly

'We should have made a signing or two in the last couple of transfer windows.' Vish
Liverpool Legend
OP Offline
Liverpool Legend
Originally Posted By TheMightyLFC
In my view, we are to a large extent unfortunate victims of circumstances and victims of our own success.

Klopp operated on a moderate and controlled budget compared to Man City and Chelsea and probably even Man United. We don't pay the same wages and we don't buy the best players if others are in for them too. (The only best player we can claim to have bought perhaps is VVD). Despite this, he built a hugely competitive team (not squad) that ruffled City's feathers. How?

Klopp's team couldn't outplay City at their in their own style. His team relies on passion, speed, intensity as well as skill and talent. A lot of this also requires fan involvement. Klopp has been open about the importance of the fans in the stadium since the beginning. He used the power of the stadium in Dortmund too.

So we have a group of about 11-14 players that he coached to believe in themselves, believe in the group, incorporate the energy of the fans, play a certain way and the whole package delivered 1 EPL title, 1 CL title, and 1 near miss in each.

Now though circumstances have changed:

1. Other teams know exactly how we will play and who will play each week. They therefore are better prepared, esp. the teams that are only looking to avoid defeat.

2. Our players have been playing this way for 3-4 years. The last two seasons especially have been very intense. Some players perhaps aren't at the same level anymore, either technically or psychologically. e.g. Firminho?

3. We haven't invested in the squad. e.g. Why has Origi been with us so long if he makes very little contribution? Why do we have defenders in the matchday squad that we don't have confidence in?

4. If not City, the other teams around us have invested to try and catch up, esp. Man United and Chelsea.

5. Covid. Shorter pre-season; more frequent games during the season, an empty Anfield - no home fans to take energy and inspiration from.

6. Bad luck - VVD & Jota injuries.

There were signs even before we sealed the title that our form had dipped and that we needed to refresh the team and improve the squad. But we didn't heed the warning signs. We failed to invest sufficiently, esp. in defence. The Covid situation has simply but brutally exposed our limitations.

How my statement at the bottom of your posts proving so true now. That said, even with our team, we should be at least 4th, not where we are now, getting beat left, right and centre.

T
Under 23 Player
Under 23 Player
T
Yes, but it happens. Especially because the style we play and how we rely on a core group of 11-14 players combines to make a very high risk strategy. Accordingly, the returns can be high but the when things go wrong the drop can be big as well. i.e. our performance graph can have very high and sharp peaks as well as very low and sharp troughs.

Unlike City We don't have a squad that can handle the A team operating below par and still compete. They have a huge squad. And at the moment we're being affected by many factors at once hence we are dipping below top 4.

These things happen. Let's see where we are after things settle down. Hopefully Jota will be back soon. Keita may help too. All is not lost.

'I was only in the game for the love of football - and I wanted to bring back happiness to the people of Liverpool.' Bill Shankly

'We should have made a signing or two in the last couple of transfer windows.' Vish
1st Team Squad
1st Team Squad
Having such a sh#tty backline at the moment is the No1 reason we are in this mess. It has bred indecision and lack of confidence right throughout the team. This could have and should have been fixed January 2nd when the winter transfer window opened, instead the club scratched around on February 1st for the cheapest possible options with a pulse!

They knew the 11th minute on the 17th October 2020 that they had to bring in a top experienced CB to cover for the huge loss of VVD...that's over 2 1/2 months to get their target and stump up the money to bring them in January 2nd 2021.

FSG, Klopp and Michael Edwards are to blame for this mess!

E
EMP Offline
1st Team Squad
1st Team Squad
E
that kabak looks a disaster..thank god just a loan deal

D
Trialist
Trialist
D
We were at top of the league end of 2020..with injuries. Also, recall prior years without VVD, we were scoring goals and also giving up loads of goals....so the player quality is still there... however I do think Klopps playing style has been figured out and managed by opponents... Either change players and/or formation and/or tactics depending on opponents. However, I fear this team is constructed with players that suit his primary approach to winning games and maybe not well suited to adjustments.

Liverpool Legend
OP Offline
Liverpool Legend
Originally Posted By Dallas302
We were at top of the league end of 2020..with injuries. Also, recall prior years without VVD, we were scoring goals and also giving up loads of goals....so the player quality is still there... however I do think Klopps playing style has been figured out and managed by opponents... Either change players and/or formation and/or tactics depending on opponents. However, I fear this team is constructed with players that suit his primary approach to winning games and maybe not well suited to adjustments.

I think it went bad to worse after we lost Matip, ie, no expert proper CB anymore. Not having a good CB in the first week of Jan was irresponsible, the club cannot get away with that

D
Trialist
Trialist
D
I think even with Matip and Fabinho playing - the real problem would have persisted - no width and ingenuity up front.

D
Trialist
Trialist
D
if all these issues are resolved- i,e. fully healthy and fit squad (1st elven and the bench) at start of next season... I should expect we should return to the old winning ways ?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  KopTalk Team 

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Advertisements
Liverpool FC Discussion