Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
T
Under 18 Player
OP Offline
Under 18 Player
T
This season gets more pathetic by the day. WBA, Fulham, Southampton, and Burnley killed our season. That's 3 of 4 teams that are favourites to go down. We went top of the league with a 7-0 win then had the chance to play for a 6 point lead. Then we decided to completely surrender the league with completely dire, uninspired, predictable, one-note play. Our front three have become fat cats - our collection of midfielders can't score or create - our two worldie fullbacks suddenly can't kick a ball straight. No one shoots or crosses first time - it's 90 mins of tippy tappy across the box while trying to walk it in. Hundreds of crosses or cut-backs to no-one - tepid pea roller shots straight to the keeper - or blazing over or wide from inside the six yard box. No attempt to strengthen the team or challenge the fat cats that get to pile on one awful game after the other. No change to the creative thrust despite bringing in Keita, Thiago, Shaq, Taki - it's just the same slow tepid meandering crap game after game. Easy to defend against.... and we're there for the taking every single game - as Southampton and Burnley have proved and ManUtd should kick themselves for not achieving. Meanwhile we're told there is no crisis - just keep at it and things will change. We're two weeks away from having only the CL to play for - and there's no chance we'll compete in that either.

Liverpool Legend
Liverpool Legend
It's not a crisis but I fear the title is slipping away champions league qualification has to be our aim. Klopp needs to rebuild not major rebuilding but the squad is short on energy but we need an adjustment in midfield and upfront.

IF YOU WANT TO BE HEARD SPEAK SOFTLY - BOB PAISLEY
Liverpool Legend
Liverpool Legend
The adjustment being say three new quality signings close season

IF YOU WANT TO BE HEARD SPEAK SOFTLY - BOB PAISLEY
V
1st Team Squad
1st Team Squad
V
To avoid more injuries, may I suggest we just hand in the towel and walk over all the remaining games?

Oh, just realised that will have to wait for a month or two until we have collected the 38 points needed to avoid relegation (we have 34 now).

From now on I have decided I will not watch our games live for a while. No meaning in watching this dire cáck and get angry and disappointed whilst throwing away 2 hours of my life. I will check the results after the games and then decide whether to watch it or not. That way I will only waste 10 seconds if the result is as bad as it has been every game for the last 5 weeks.

I can't remember when/if I have ever felt like this before. In the dark days 10 years ago we could at least throw a shift in and score some goals. The current form is even below relegation level! 3 points in our last 5 games! Mind boggling! Almost as strange and embarrassing as the loss 7-2 against Villa!

Can someone please explain how we have lost it so completely? Loss of form is one thing, but this is something else. Rock bottom!

Last edited by van Gogh; 21/01/21 10:50 PM.
E
1st Team Squad
1st Team Squad
E
Originally Posted By van Gogh
To avoid more injuries, may I suggest we just hand in the towel and walk over all the remaining games?

Oh, just realised that will have to wait for a month or two until we have collected the 38 points needed to avoid relegation (we have 34 now).

From now on I have decided I will not watch our games live for a while. No meaning in watching this dire cáck and get angry and disappointed whilst throwing away 2 hours of my life. I will check the results after the games and then decide whether to watch it or not. That way I will only waste 10 seconds if the result is as bad as it has been every game for the last 5 weeks.

I can't remember when/if I have ever felt like this before. In the dark days 10 years ago we could at least throw a shift in and score some goals. The current form is even below relegation level! 3 points in our last 5 games! Mind boggling! Almost as strange and embarrassing as the loss 7-2 against Villa!

Can someone please explain how we have lost it so completely? Loss of form is one thing, but this is something else. Rock bottom!

Can't really explain it, we are playing badly, lots of players off form, we are getting bad luck and no breaks ATM, what I would say is this team has been performing at very high levels for the last 3-4 year, getting record points and intense CL campaigns.

There is a reason teams struggle to defend the CL, let alone win it 3 times in a row (our 2017/18 97 point season was almost a win in effort), City with a bigger/stronger squad than us have struggled defending the PL, this season is exceptional with the games/scheduling and the way last season overran and the disruption of pre-season. Teams have ups & downs, we will now see what this team is made of, they need to get together, give it their all and hope for a few breaks, season isn't over yet, lots to play for, including the CL.

TBH, I am disappointed how we are playing, this season drop off hasn't surprised me that much, but I am still just happy after last season PL win after 30 years of disappointment!!!

Liverpool Legend
Liverpool Legend
Originally Posted By van Gogh

Very difficult to explain what happened, don't think even Klopp knows and for sure our bench is so poor, so when first team players are not performing, there is not much we can do. Does this have to do with little preseason prep, that's the only major change this season. The other reason is the loss of central defence has destabilised the team completely. Can it be because of Trump and his loss eek

Last edited by EnergisedReds; 22/01/21 05:45 AM.
T
Under 23 Player
Under 23 Player
T
Disappointing, but not embarrassing. It happens. Although I do think it's a crisis. Not one to get into a panic about, but I think this a huge, deep problem for us and I'm not sure we'll get out of it soon.

Our team had been at a high intensity, high performance peak for 2 seasons. They reached unprecedented levels of consistency at a at the highest levels of performance and results. This culminated in winning the CL and EPL. It was perhaps inevitable that the same team would not be able to sustain that. The signs of a dip were there even before we sealed the title.

After we won the title the dip in form and results continued. We all saw it. That was the time to take advantage by resting players and adding some huge quality to the squad. Esp. in defence and up front. Salah, Mane, Firmino & VVD were already in their late 20s, at their peak, and in need of backup/competition. But we didn't rest the first team and Covid/FSG scuppered any thoughts of big transfer additions.

In the end we did pick up Jota & Thiago. But then bad luck and perhaps Klopp taking his eye off the ball affected us. Thiago's injury we couldn't do anything about but I will never understand why Jota played in that dead CL game. Mo and a few others also played whilst around the same time Klopp was allowing himself to be dragged into a media debate about 5 subs. Not only that, often he was not even using the 3 subs or rotating the first team. Origi, Minamino etc. just weren't getting game when we knew the season would be intense and we would need to bench to step up from time to time. Maybe Klopp knew then that something was wrong and was drawing media attention away from the players to give them time and space to regain form.

In addition to bad luck and problems of our own making, opposition teams had resorted to parking the bus/using the low block defensive approach and exploiting our high back line. And this is where our lack of strength in depth and lack of versatility affected us. Whilst the Manchester teams have built and maintained squads, Klopp built a team. He has very few on the bench that can come in and do what the first team used to do or do something different that is as effective. So now when we have to find a different way to score goals and win we can't do it.

The problem gets bigger for us by the day. We haven't got the money to sign top drawer players. The players that we could have cashed in on, primarily Salah, to add more quality to the team won't be worth as much now. Salah himself has been making noises. And we have the spectacle of Wijnaldum playing silly when the club have given him an environment to win major honours of the last couple of seasons.

Not sure what the best solution/approach is in the short term. Will one or two 'panic' buys in the Jan window be too risky? Do we just keep doing the same thing and hope things will turn around? I suspect we'll have to go with the latter approach but will need to give more game time to Minamino, Shaq, the Ox and even Origo whilst we wait to see what happens when Jota comes back.

We need to forget about the title for now. We certainly need to stop getting dragged into conversations about it. It's that same old cliché we need to stick to... take each game at a time. And let's try and enjoy the challenge. Working hard, sticking together, positive thinking, thinking of solutions and how they might work instead of getting on our players' backs. Slowly but hopefully surely, the phoenix will rise again.

And remember, we have a safety net that others don't have. Rafa is always at the other end of the line smile

'I was only in the game for the love of football - and I wanted to bring back happiness to the people of Liverpool.' Bill Shankly

'We should have made a signing or two in the last couple of transfer windows.' Vish
O
Oli Offline
Under 16 Player
Under 16 Player
O
Mighty you make a lot of sense and I agree with most if not all you wrote. Specially true about Klopp building a team instead of a squad.
So here we are will be interesting to say the least to see how Sunday will be. Shall we rest players and try to get 4th at the end of the season or shall we try to win a cup. As we look today we are out of CL against any good team.

J
Under 16 Player
Under 16 Player
J
Yeah very hard to watch right now and I agree with a lot of the sentiments. Said this in a previous post but Klopp has built a team which has been up there for 3 years playing amazing football and I fear a transitional period is now upon us, it's not a complete rebuild but we need to just accept that it will take some time to get right again. Every single team goes through cycles.

We have world class keeper, apart from injuries and a dip in form our defence is top class, trent's best days are still ahead of him, VVD is the best CB in the world.

we have an amazing midfield selection that isn't looking right at the minute because we have gone a bit weird.

we have a new forward in Jota who looks like he's gonna be a great signing so the recruitment is in great hands.

I'm starting to just worry a bit about our attack, I don't know if it's intended but the counter press is not there anymore and wonder if this is what needs the biggest change.

We still have Klopp, a proven winner and a top class manager who is part of this club. So as far as I see it a complete rebuild is not needed at all but we do have to find a change.

I'm accepting this season will not be good but I just want to see the steps put in place for next year and to see some gradual return to form. There is no up side to this but if we were going to pick a year we could use as a transition it would be a year like this which isn't a normal year anyway.

E
Under 18 Player
Under 18 Player
E
another wasted opportunity perhaps with news that De Bruyne could be out for a few weeks and the slightest chance that Man City could slip abit.
but the season is long and plenty to play for. we fight on!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  KopTalk Team 

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Advertisements
Liverpool FC Discussion