Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
A
Under 23 Player
Under 23 Player
A
Originally Posted By ecnirp98
Sokratis and Gunners agree to end defender's contract six months early:

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/...ix-months-early

I think he is worth a go, just give him a contract until the end of the season. The question isn't really is he good enough for Liverpool, that answer is probably no if we have all our CB available, It's is he a better option than Phillips or Williams and I think that's a yes, we can see Klopp doesn't fancy Phillips & Rhys playing regularly as we have 2 CM at CB.

That is not a bad shout. If Matip fit play them together and get the beast that is Fabinho back into the midfield. The results will follow.

Liverpool Legend
Liverpool Legend
Originally Posted By AccaBoosty
It's not a decent CB we need. It's a world class one we need. I don't subscribe to this replacing Lovren argument. What did people want with Lovren gone? Lovren MkII?

When you have a midfielder who can play there and look world class himself you don't buy a new Lovren. You buy another Van Dijk or the next best that will fit the profile of our transfer policy.

I have no doubt that we would have gone for one of the Leipzig lads had we not draw them in the CL. Whenever someone comes it will be a long term signing not a quick fix and it has to be the right fit.

Alaba might be an option but on huge wages but that won't happen until summer if at all.

As both Matip and Gomez regularly get injured, we should have replaced Lovren but with a top defender, even better than them, we didn't or are not, so we are paying for it, it's as simple. Should have been done last summer, but still time to do something but we have no funds

A
Under 23 Player
Under 23 Player
A
I read something from the Liverpool Echo. There is something to do with the squad numbers that may be preventing us from buying a new CB. We could bring someone in but we have to cut someone else from the squad when they are renamed in Feb after the window closes. It may be that someone like Origi has to leave to bring in another foreign player. I think they are hoping that VVD will play some part this season but to do so he will have to be a named player. Think the same goes with Gomez but if he is taken away from the squad we may be forced to buy English CB.

If that was the case it will be at a massive premium and may not actually be the player we want. Who wants a £50m English CB from Brighton? who would possibly not be as good as Lovren and would therefore be 4th choice next season and possibly 5th choice because from what I have seen of Fabinho he is world class in at least 2 positions.

But I do think we will go all out in the summer for a top class CB. It's not writing off this season it's about targeting competitions. We may have to battle it out for a top 4 place whilst trying to land the CL. PL is still pretty much in our hands and we are capable of churning out a sequence of wins.

Liverpool Legend
Liverpool Legend
I read something from the Liverpool Echo. There is something to do with the squad numbers that may be preventing us from buying a new CB. We could bring someone in but we have to cut someone else from the squad when they are renamed in Feb after the window closes. It may be that someone like Origi has to leave to bring in another foreign player. I think they are hoping that VVD will play some part this season but to do so he will have to be a named player. Think the same goes with Gomez but if he is taken away from the squad we may be forced to buy English CB.

If that was the case it will be at a massive premium and may not actually be the player we want. Who wants a £50m English CB from Brighton? who would possibly not be as good as Lovren and would therefore be 4th choice next season and possibly 5th choice because from what I have seen of Fabinho he is world class in at least 2 positions.

But I do think we will go all out in the summer for a top class CB. It's not writing off this season it's about targeting competitions. We may have to battle it out for a top 4 place whilst trying to land the CL. PL is still pretty much in our hands and we are capable of churning out a sequence of wins.

Nobody has to leave for us to buy anyone, if anything, we will have to deregister a player who we think we will not use, that's all. Any player can stay on our books forever.

A
Under 23 Player
Under 23 Player
A
Originally Posted By EnergisedReds

Nobody has to leave for us to buy anyone, if anything, we will have to deregister a player who we think we will not use, that's all. Any player can stay on our books forever.

Yes that is the gist of it. But it means that a fit player may be sidelined to bring someone in and that's not a good thing really. The article suggested it might be Adrian or Origi. Wind back a couple of weeks and Shaqiri might have been the one.

Liverpool Legend
Liverpool Legend
Originally Posted By EnergisedReds

Yes that is the gist of it. But it means that a fit player may be sidelined to bring someone in and that's not a good thing really. The article suggested it might be Adrian or Origi. Wind back a couple of weeks and Shaqiri might have been the one.

We need a good CB much more than Adrian or Origi, what are you talking about. The Echo is making that stupid story to back the club or rather FSG, nothing more

L
Trialist
Trialist
L
not signing one jan 1st may have cost us the title! dunno why they waited this long even with matip pending.

Liverpool Legend
Liverpool Legend
Originally Posted By LoGreg12
not signing one jan 1st may have cost us the title! dunno why they waited this long even with matip pending.

We just bargained the hardest we could, hopefully it won't end up penny wise pound foolish. At the end of the day we do not have money i suppose

A
Under 23 Player
Under 23 Player
A
We don't have enough fit players. 19 months ago we won the CL. All of that team is still at the club. 5 clear first choice players out. 3 CBs long term. No team in the world could manage missing players at those levels.

And so it turns out neither can we. Took long enough though. My only hope now is that we can get Mane, Fabinho, Alisson and Jota back to have a crack at Leipzig in the CL. Those 4 players played in their proper positions can give us the lift we need and CL is a completely different animal to PL.

Liverpool Legend
Liverpool Legend
We don't have enough fit players. 19 months ago we won the CL. All of that team is still at the club. 5 clear first choice players out. 3 CBs long term. No team in the world could manage missing players at those levels.

And so it turns out neither can we. Took long enough though. My only hope now is that we can get Mane, Fabinho, Alisson and Jota back to have a crack at Leipzig in the CL. Those 4 players played in their proper positions can give us the lift we need and CL is a completely different animal to PL.

We do look like a very tired team, injuries have taken their toll but I think that not having our usual intense pre-season is hitting us hard, or maybe our players cannot take such pressure anymore after 3-4 intense seasons.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  KopTalk Team 

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Advertisements
Liverpool FC Discussion