Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
T
Under 18 Player
OP Offline
Under 18 Player
T
It's a simple as that. What's infuriating is that this year is a very weak league with lots of teams struggling for consistency. If we could sort out our defence we would be the favourites - but not signing anyone will boost City and Utd, both of whom have better defences.

Liverpool Legend
Liverpool Legend
Originally Posted By The Kop Prophet
It's a simple as that. What's infuriating is that this year is a very weak league with lots of teams struggling for consistency. If we could sort out our defence we would be the favourites - but not signing anyone will boost City and Utd, both of whom have better defences.

You know that's never occurred to me before. Your right !

IF YOU WANT TO BE HEARD SPEAK SOFTLY - BOB PAISLEY
Liverpool Legend
Liverpool Legend

My view is that it is a miracle that we have been able to win the CL and PL with the transfer policy/spending we have had, not losing our main players for the long term helped us a lot. But, we cannot continue to rely on luck when it comes to injuries, so we are seeing the obvious now. If we had gone for Bruno Fernandez last Jan, then there would have been no need to buy Jota in the summer and could have bought a Central Defender to replace Lovren. Anyway, the club is not going to try to solve what is a short term issue, winning the title is a short term fix for them, long term sustainability is what they do

E
1st Team Squad
1st Team Squad
E
Originally Posted By EnergisedReds

My view is that it is a miracle that we have been able to win the CL and PL with the transfer policy/spending we have had, not losing our main players for the long term helped us a lot. But, we cannot continue to rely on luck when it comes to injuries, so we are seeing the obvious now. If we had gone for Bruno Fernandez last Jan, then there would have been no need to buy Jota in the summer and could have bought a Central Defender to replace Lovren. Anyway, the club is not going to try to solve what is a short term issue, winning the title is a short term fix for them, long term sustainability is what they do

It has been a combination of luck and good management that we have no had the major injuries but also identified/brought in excellent players at good prices, who have turned into much better players, players like Fab, Salah, Mane, Wij, Robertson etc.

We have been unlucky with the CB injuries we have got, without them I have no doubt we would be 10 points clear now and walking the PL, not replacing Lovren was a big mistake, but without the CB injuries it would have been fine with Fab as 4th place CB cover, we took a gamble and it didn't pay off.

What annoys me is we now have the opportunity to correct that in this transfer window, we can bring in a decent CB for around £30-40 million for someone like Upamecano which will help ensure we retain the PL, but it appears we are not going to, which is crazy IMO, as the returns on winning the PL are so high, we are in a position of strength now, we should use that to attract players.

V
1st Team Squad
1st Team Squad
V
Originally Posted By ecnirp98
We have been unlucky with the CB injuries we have got, without them I have no doubt we would be 10 points clear now and walking the PL, not replacing Lovren was a big mistake, but without the CB injuries it would have been fine with Fab as 4th place CB cover, we took a gamble and it didn't pay off.

To be honest it's not just bad luck with the CB situation. Both Matip and Gomes are known to be injury prone. And on top of that we let Dejan go without replacing him. Total madness imo. I mean Matip and Gomes are almost like having 1 player - not 2. As reigning champions do we not need at least a 4:th senior cb in our squad? Reckless management imo, with all the games we have at hand before every season there shouldn't be a problem for all 4 of them to get enough game time.

Originally Posted By ecnirp98
What annoys me is we now have the opportunity to correct that in this transfer window, we can bring in a decent CB for around £30-40 million for someone like Upamecano which will help ensure we retain the PL, but it appears we are not going to, which is crazy IMO, as the returns on winning the PL are so high, we are in a position of strength now, we should use that to attract players

Indeed, couldn't agree more! What is the alternative cost to be losing out on CL next season? This season is really tight at the top of the table. As it is now we could win or end up 7:th. It's that tight! So securing a top spot and do that by finally replacing Dejan would more than make sense imo.

A
Under 23 Player
Under 23 Player
A
It's not a decent CB we need. It's a world class one we need. I don't subscribe to this replacing Lovren argument. What did people want with Lovren gone? Lovren MkII?

When you have a midfielder who can play there and look world class himself you don't buy a new Lovren. You buy another Van Dijk or the next best that will fit the profile of our transfer policy.

I have no doubt that we would have gone for one of the Leipzig lads had we not draw them in the CL. Whenever someone comes it will be a long term signing not a quick fix and it has to be the right fit.

Alaba might be an option but on huge wages but that won't happen until summer if at all.

Under 23 Player
Under 23 Player
not being able to alter our tactics against defensive teams will cost us the title!

T
Under 18 Player
OP Offline
Under 18 Player
T
Originally Posted By kernowred
not being able to alter our tactics against defensive teams will cost us the title!

Yes, it's our attack that's in relegation form at the moment. One goal and 3 points from the last 12 is poor. Meanwhile our makeshift defence has only shipped two goals and had 2 cleansheets.

E
1st Team Squad
1st Team Squad
E
Sokratis and Gunners agree to end defender's contract six months early:

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/...ix-months-early

I think he is worth a go, just give him a contract until the end of the season. The question isn't really is he good enough for Liverpool, that answer is probably no if we have all our CB available, It's is he a better option than Phillips or Williams and I think that's a yes, we can see Klopp doesn't fancy Phillips & Rhys playing regularly as we have 2 CM at CB.

E
1st Team Squad
1st Team Squad
E
His Injury record looks better than our current lots as well! I never knew he was with Klopp at Dortmund from 2013-2015 also? Klopp must have signed him!

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/sokratis/verletzungen/spieler/34322

19/20 Ill Jan 17, 2020 Jan 22, 2020 5 days 2Arsenal FC
19/20 Concussion Dec 27, 2019 Dec 30, 2019 3 days 1Arsenal FC
19/20 Rest Oct 23, 2019 Oct 25, 2019 2 days 1Arsenal FC
19/20 Rest Oct 2, 2019 Oct 4, 2019 2 days 1Arsenal FC
19/20 Rest Sep 23, 2019 Sep 25, 2019 2 days 1Arsenal FC
19/20 Rest Sep 18, 2019 Sep 20, 2019 2 days 1Arsenal FC
18/19 Ankle Injury Oct 15, 2018 Oct 24, 2018 9 days 1Arsenal FC
17/18 Fractured Rib Nov 20, 2017 Nov 23, 2017 3 days 1Borussia Dortmund
17/18 Ankle problems Nov 6, 2017 Nov 9, 2017 3 days -
17/18 Foot Injury Oct 12, 2017 Oct 12, 2017 0 days -
17/18 Gastric problems Aug 24, 2017 Aug 28, 2017 4 days 1Borussia Dortmund
17/18 Knock Jul 24, 2017 Jul 24, 2017 0 days -
16/17 Minor Knock May 1, 2017 May 1, 2017 0 days -
16/17 Muscular problems Apr 20, 2017 Apr 24, 2017 4 days 1Borussia Dortmund
16/17 Calf muscle strain Mar 9, 2017 Mar 13, 2017 4 days 1Borussia Dortmund

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  KopTalk Team 

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Advertisements
Liverpool FC Discussion