E
Sad news, RIP.

A
Under 23 Player
Under 23 Player
A
RIP
Brilliant keeper

England had 2 World Class keepers back then. If only one of them had been about they would have had about 180 caps.

Liverpool Legend
Liverpool Legend
Originally Posted By Stanley Park
Great guy and arguably Liverpool best ever keeper

RIP Ray you will be missed

Why did he leave LFC, was too young then to follow and there was neither a lot of live games nor internet then to stay up to date

E
1st Team Squad
1st Team Squad
E
Originally Posted By EnergisedReds
Originally Posted By Stanley Park
Great guy and arguably Liverpool best ever keeper

RIP Ray you will be missed

Why did he leave LFC, was too young then to follow and there was neither a lot of live games nor internet then to stay up to date

I have seen a few quotes over the years that he had lost the buzz at Liverpool and wanted a change, he won his third European Cup and said:

The 1978/79 season arguably saw that Liverpool side at its best. Clemence conceded just 16 goals during a 42-game league season and kept 28 clean sheets. Two summers later, sitting in the Parc de Princes dressing room after a third European Cup win, he decided it was time to go.

‘I sat with a paper cup full of champagne and the feeling that it was just another game,’ he once said in an interview with the Independent.

‘I made the decision there and then.

‘I thought: “If you can't be on the ceiling after winning the European Cup, it's not the place to be”.

‘Before the game, it hadn't even occurred to me to leave.’

He was 33 and Liverpool had brought in Grobbelaar, so to sell him for £300,00 was a good fee I guess.

T
Under 18 Player
Under 18 Player
T
Us older fans know just what a legend Ray Clemence was. He would have got 150 caps if he weren't around the same time as Peter Shilton. He has the backbone of many of our 70s and 80s triumphs. Great chap too - RIP Ray.

1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular
Rip, never witness him play as he was before my time but he was part of our incredible team of the 70s-80s.

Back to Back World Champions baby!
R
Under 16 Player
Under 16 Player
R
As a boy he epitomised the team I loved . I hope his family were around him and were able to say goodbye in a nice and peaceful way. RIP. Ray. YNWA.

S
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular
S
RIP Ray

A great keeper who was playing the role of sweeper keeper long before it became fashionable.

Liverpool Legend
OP Offline
Liverpool Legend
best keeper we have ever had with allison second. The success Liverpool had in the seventies and early eighties which made the club what we are today was much down to Clem

IF YOU WANT TO BE HEARD SPEAK SOFTLY - BOB PAISLEY
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  KopTalk Team 

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Advertisements
Liverpool FC Discussion