Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#634677 04/08/20 06:26 PM
Liverpool Legend
OP Offline
Liverpool Legend
How is the virus being handled in your part of the world? Here, in Mauritius we have been Covid free for a few months and not even really wearing masks most of the time. However, we are completely isolated physically from the world with very few flights mainly for cargo and repatriation. Our economy is taking a huge hit as 24% of the GDP depends on external tourism and our competitors like the Seychelles and Maldives are opening their borders. We are quite divided on whether to open or not because we have been spared with very few deaths (10) out of less than 350 infections. I think we should reopen but lots of people are against especially with 2nd waves in a number of geographies.

Liverpool Legend
Liverpool Legend
As long as you don't let any Brits in you should be ok,nobody really seems gives a [oops] here.

That job interview was going so well until I realized I was fukked up on acid in the middle of a cornfield naked and talking to a scarecrow.
Liverpool Legend
OP Offline
Liverpool Legend
Originally Posted By lumba
As long as you don't let any Brits in you should be ok,nobody really seems gives a [oops] here.

Maybe we should be like you, here I feel we are over cautious, dont even know what we are waiting for to open the borders (in a controlled manner of course)

Liverpool Legend
Liverpool Legend
The majority of people do give a xxxx in the uk but there's always the few. The debate going on here is opening up the economy vs indefinite lockdown. Much of the country is quite happy being paid for sitting at home or so called working from home. However much of the country is living in a dream world and haven't woken up to the fact in the autumn there is going to be a jobs bloodbath. One we might never recover from.

I have retired now so it doesn't affect me personally but my opinion is we should manage corvid locally and prioritise getting the economy going.

As for Mauritius I would imagine many businesses are suffering given the islands reliance on tourism.

IF YOU WANT TO BE HEARD SPEAK SOFTLY - BOB PAISLEY
Liverpool Legend
OP Offline
Liverpool Legend
Originally Posted By Stanley Park
The majority of people do give a xxxx in the uk but there's always the few. The debate going on here is opening up the economy vs indefinite lockdown. Much of the country is quite happy being paid for sitting at home or so called working from home. However much of the country is living in a dream world and haven't woken up to the fact in the autumn there is going to be a jobs bloodbath. One we might never recover from.

I have retired now so it doesn't affect me personally but my opinion is we should manage corvid locally and prioritise getting the economy going.

As for Mauritius I would imagine many businesses are suffering given the islands reliance on tourism.

The economy is significantly impacted as 24% of the GDP is tourism dependent and a big portion of the population is against opening borders as they feel protected as the country is Covid free for a couple of months. The government is going with the crowd instead of taking the tough decision which is not simple I must admit.

Liverpool Legend
Liverpool Legend
Originally Posted By EnergisedReds
Originally Posted By lumba

Maybe we should be like you, here I feel we are over cautious, dont even know what we are waiting for to open the borders (in a controlled manner of course)
Over cautious is what we needed to be but the attitude of alot of people over here is beyond me.

That job interview was going so well until I realized I was fukked up on acid in the middle of a cornfield naked and talking to a scarecrow.
D
Under 18 Player
Under 18 Player
D
Please read this if you are interested if you are interested in what is and has happened in UK

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=amDv2gk8aa0

Look for Lord Sumption - Government by decree.

It's dry legal stuff and long, but very chilling. The more that read it, the better. I can't believe what has been done.

A couple of intentionally simplistic calculation:-

UK have spent 200,000 million defending 1million potentially vulnerable people. (Adjust figures to suit)

That's 200,000 pounds per person (average age of Covid death 82)

NICE will sanction spending 30,000 per year, per life (eg cancer in a 40yr old man with two children)

Tell me I'm wrong, but to me, the government are acting bizarrely. Locking innocent people up, limiting economic activity to extinction, is the stuff of world wars, not flu viruses that kill old people.

Moderated by  KopTalk Team 

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Advertisements
Liverpool FC Discussion