Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#634623 30/07/20 12:30 PM
Snakeye Offline OP
1st Team Regular
OP Offline
1st Team Regular
I honestly believe if we were in the final 8 of this tournament, we had a strong chance of retaining the trophy so i feel like it's a missed opportunity as winning the cl needs a lot of years and a lot of stars to align. Extra disappointing as we were beating At. Madrid..if only we had Alisson in goal that night.

Back to Back World Champions baby!
E
1st Team Squad
1st Team Squad
E
Yep, we would have had an excellent chance in the one off games, was just a bad night against AM, we played well but got picked off when understandably pushing forward for a goal, Alisson in goal and we probably go through as you say.

Frustrating as the game should not have gone ahead with the problems in Spain with the pandemic, letting 5,000 Spanish fly over at the point was crazy, if it would have been called off we would have played now, and I would fancy our chances with Alisson back.

Oh well, we had a good season anyways smile and I would have taken PL over CL at the start of the season.

1st Team Squad
1st Team Squad
It all boils down to not having an acceptable replacement to cover for injuries and absences.

We've been very fortunate these last few years that we've not had a significant player/s suffer injury to put them out for a considerable length of time, like our rivals have. Seems that we are continuing on pursuing that line of thinking...crossing our fingers...putting our lucky underpants on...having a lucky horseshoe or rabbit's foot!

I see City are not hanging around in strengthening...Ake and Torres soon to be amongst their ranks and I'm sure more to follow.

A
Under 23 Player
Under 23 Player
A
Ake won't pull up trees at City. If Torres was really any good City would have had to pay 3 times as much. I don't know why everyone is panicking over a team that only won the league cup this season.

E
1st Team Squad
1st Team Squad
E
I like Ake, but he's no Kompany, I would have liked us to sign him, but it was to replace Lovren as cover/rotation rather that as a starting CB, I've not seen much of Torres, but I used to fear Sane coming off the bench, he won so many games for them in the 2018/19 season, I can't see Torres being as good.

M
Under 23 Player
Under 23 Player
M
Speaking of a missed opportunity.

The CL should remain a one legged knockout tournament.

The quality of games is so much better than watching teams play for a 0-0 then a 1-1 hoping to go through.

Liverpool Legend
Liverpool Legend
Originally Posted By Mr Bojangles

The quality of games is so much better than watching teams play for a 0-0 then a 1-1 hoping to go through.

But that would be big losses on gate revenue, they should rather scap away goals advantage, which I think they have done for next season, if I am not mistaken

E
1st Team Squad
1st Team Squad
E
Originally Posted By EnergisedReds
Originally Posted By Mr Bojangles

But that would be big losses on gate revenue, they should rather scap away goals advantage, which I think they have done for next season, if I am not mistaken

Would also be a huge loss on TV revenue/advertising with less games, also, how would they play a one off game in a neutral venue, have a tournament in 1 location like they are now in Portugal? rival fans all gathering in one location would be difficult to police.

I agree games have been more entertaining and less tactical, but then again, we never would have had the 4-0 Barca win if that game was over 1 leg?

I wonder if not having fans in the stadium has affected the players mentality, so they are more attack minded and take more chances, they are not feeding off the vibe from the crowd, like when you concede a late goal and the crowd are worried, we had allot of that a few years ago when we struggled to hold onto a lead at home.

Moderated by  KopTalk Team 

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Advertisements
Liverpool FC Discussion