Rate Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
E
1st Team Squad
1st Team Squad
E
Originally Posted By EnergisedReds
Originally Posted By ecnirp98

Chelsea owe Abramovich £1.17 Billion as of June 2018, so these are interest free loans he is pumping into Chelsea:

https://weaintgotnohistory.sbnation.com/2018/6/1/17416550/chelsea-owe-1-17-billion-to-abramovich

If the Sheiks suddenly pulled out of City, it would be a fire sale, as I am guessing they would struggle to pay their players on their normal income without the Sheik's dubious investments/sponsorships etc and they would have to buy normal players rather than a squad of superstars on big contracts.

FFP cannot be ran by judging who the owner is on each occasion, the rules need to apply to all clubs.

I am not sure if the Sheiks are still financing the club as before, but yes, there is surely some dodgy sponsorship deals, but not easy to prove now, given the number of trophies they have won lately and the star players they have. I also agree that FFP should be the same to everyone, this is why I think a budget cap is much fairer than this current rule where the traditionally bigger clubs with bigger fan bases have an advantage.

Yep, the initial huge spend City did was similar to what Chelsea did when Abramovich took over, that could never happen now with FFP, but they both built such a strong squad quickly, they could then supplement with a few quality big price players each year under FFP to maintain their strength.

I agree, a budget cap would be more sensible, there are too many ways to fiddle the books with sponsorship etc which is difficult to police, how would you set a cap, the same limit for all teams, I think that;s how F1 are doing it? so say £200 million per season on players + wages? so the top clubs could easily spend that, whereas the likes of Burnley/Brighton would never get near that?

Liverpool Legend
OP Offline
Liverpool Legend
Originally Posted By EnergisedReds

Chelsea owe Abramovich £1.17 Billion as of June 2018, so these are interest free loans he is pumping into Chelsea:

https://weaintgotnohistory.sbnation.com/2018/6/1/17416550/chelsea-owe-1-17-billion-to-abramovich

If the Sheiks suddenly pulled out of City, it would be a fire sale, as I am guessing they would struggle to pay their players on their normal income without the Sheik's dubious investments/sponsorships etc and they would have to buy normal players rather than a squad of superstars on big contracts.

FFP cannot be ran by judging who the owner is on each occasion, the rules need to apply to all clubs.

I am not sure if the Sheiks are still financing the club as before, but yes, there is surely some dodgy sponsorship deals, but not easy to prove now, given the number of trophies they have won lately and the star players they have. I also agree that FFP should be the same to everyone, this is why I think a budget cap is much fairer than this current rule where the traditionally bigger clubs with bigger fan bases have an advantage.

Yep, the initial huge spend City did was similar to what Chelsea did when Abramovich took over, that could never happen now with FFP, but they both built such a strong squad quickly, they could then supplement with a few quality big price players each year under FFP to maintain their strength.

I agree, a budget cap would be more sensible, there are too many ways to fiddle the books with sponsorship etc which is difficult to police, how would you set a cap, the same limit for all teams, I think that;s how F1 are doing it? so say £200 million per season on players + wages? so the top clubs could easily spend that, whereas the likes of Burnley/Brighton would never get near that?

Yes F1 has put a budget cap but focus is on car développement and some teams will spend less than the limit, however it is more even, though not exactly the same for everyone. Driver and I think 4 top executives salaries are excluded. It must be said that the car performance is the main thing there.

Brighton/Bunley wont maybe be near 200m but would be better than now, in fact, EPL clubs revenues are among the highest in Europe including the Brighton and Burnley

Last edited by EnergisedReds; 15/07/20 02:36 AM.
V
1st Team Squad
1st Team Squad
V
I think it's hard to compare car racing with football, since the demands and structures are so different in those sports.

But with ice hockey it's different.

The Salary Cap system in NHL seems to be good. It sets both a highest and a lowest level for the salary expenditures.

This article is a bit old, but informative nonetheless.

https://www.blueshirtbanter.com/2010/4/28/1448124/nhl-analysis-understanding-the

Liverpool Legend
OP Offline
Liverpool Legend
Originally Posted By van Gogh
I think it's hard to compare car racing with football, since the demands and structures are so different in those sports.

But with ice hockey it's different.

The Salary Cap system in NHL seems to be good. It sets both a highest and a lowest level for the salary expenditures.

This article is a bit old, but informative nonetheless.

https://www.blueshirtbanter.com/2010/4/28/1448124/nhl-analysis-understanding-the

But a salary cap will just help wealthy clubs at the expense of players in a way as they will have more money to buy players on reduced salaries. I am sure a budget (expenditure) cap can be implemented as all the clubs are companies filing their accounts.

V
1st Team Squad
1st Team Squad
V
The salary cap in NHL is counted for the team as a whole. The individual salaries aren't restricted per se.

The only individual cap there is that the highest earner in the team mustn't earn more than 20% of the total cap.

So it would work in PL too, and also help to keep squad numbers lower. No club would find room for a big squad, which would level the playing field.

E
1st Team Squad
1st Team Squad
E
The Australian A league have a salary cap scheme that works, I heard a podcast on it a while ago, so it is possible, something needs to be done, as FFP is not working as is, so now would be a good time to look at it with all the turmoil from Covid.

V
1st Team Squad
1st Team Squad
V
Exactly!

If FA, FIFA and UEFA had any balls this would be the perfect time to introduce a wage capping system.

City just got off the CAS hook, but were caught again before they could make a move! Would be nice that!

Last edited by van Gogh; 15/07/20 01:28 PM.
1st Team Squad
1st Team Squad
The Big Money Clubs won't agree to it and will challenge it, binding up UEFA, The FA, Premier League...whomever, in legal redtape making it impossible for a sensible FFP decision to be made.

Thanks to Man City and their dubious Owners, the Regulators no longer have any teeth.

Liverpool Legend
OP Offline
Liverpool Legend
Originally Posted By Pickles
The Big Money Clubs won't agree to it and will challenge it, binding up UEFA, The FA, Premier League...whomever, in legal redtape making it impossible for a sensible FFP decision to be made.

Thanks to Man City and their dubious Owners, the Regulators no longer have any teeth.

Big clubs wont agree to a budget cap but could agree to a wage cap as it will increase their profits. The current FFP rule is nonsense IMO, it has been lobbied by Barca, Real and Bayern, maybe United

V
1st Team Squad
1st Team Squad
V
Yes!

Only Oligarch clubs won't approve a wage cap system imo.

That means all but City, Chelsea and maybe Newcastle and Everton will approve in PL.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  KopTalk Team 

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Advertisements
Liverpool FC Discussion