E
1st Team Squad
1st Team Squad
E
Originally Posted By EnergisedReds
Originally Posted By ecnirp98
[quote=ecnirp98]

70m? I will be surprised if Klopp gets half of that to spend unless we sell. I read recently the chairman saying FSG didnt take a pound in dividends from the club but forgot to say that FSG didnt inject any capital neither and are ploughing back the loans they have given.

£70 million is the price being quoted for Koulibaly.

This is why I cant see us buying him

Agreed, and his age, if he was 25 maybe, but I do not think we need a new 1st choice CB, we need someone to replace Lovren who is 4th choice, Fabinho could do that in an emergency.

A
Under 23 Player
Under 23 Player
A
[quote=ecnirp98]

70m? I will be surprised if Klopp gets half of that to spend unless we sell. I read recently the chairman saying FSG didnt take a pound in dividends from the club but forgot to say that FSG didnt inject any capital neither and are ploughing back the loans they have given.

Agreed, and his age, if he was 25 maybe, but I do not think we need a new 1st choice CB, we need someone to replace Lovren who is 4th choice, Fabinho could do that in an emergency.

That is true but when you are looking to rest a player the last thing you want is forcing him into another position. Losing a CB could be bad but replacing with a midfielder who is first on the teamsheet in that position is just weakening the team in 2 positions. He can play there but should be as you say an emergency.

Liverpool Legend
Liverpool Legend
[quote=ecnirp98]

You think Fabinho with Gomez would be a good pairing should VVD need a rest?

A
Under 23 Player
Under 23 Player
A
I think you underestimate our players Vish. I think any team that loses a key player has to adapt.

I would rather play Matip and Gomez together than Fabinho and Gomez because taking Fabinho out of that midfield position weakens the team more.

For what it is worth though I think Fabinho and Gomez would be an excellent pairing if called upon. You have to look at the whole picture and remember who the goalkeeper is that is our last line of defence.

Remember that 4-3 win v City last season? We had Karius in goal, TAA was on the bench, no VVD as he was injured, Henderson out too and Milner only came on a sub. No Fabinho back then either.

Remember us beating Barcelona 4-0. No Salah or Firmino and Robertson off at HT when it was only 1-0.

Remember the kids wiping the floor with Everton's best team in the FA cup. Everton never looked like scoring in that second half. OK they should have been 2 or 3 up by HT but the lads took the lead and then closed out in the most comfortable way I think I have ever seen in a local derby.

Every time we spend no money or miss out on a signing we get the same mentality on here that the sky is falling in. Two defeats in 63 or 64 league games isn't it? Sorry if I have lost count. Four trophies in 12 months. The best manager in the world. More world class players than we have probably ever had at one time. And those that are not world class are certainly more than good enough to play with them.

I don't know why I have to keep reminding people how fukking awesome this team is and how they keep stepping up to the plate. And I tire of people saying Origi can't do this and Gomez can't do that, Jones and Williams are not ready. Yes I would be concerned if we lost several players for 3 months. That is just unfortunate and part of the game. But we do have a certain mentality in the squad that anything is possible.

Perhaps we might see some changes now we have won the title. Records could be broken but players could also be rested for next season now and others asked to show what they can do.

With several players needing appearances to qualify for medals expect to see Elliott, Jones, Williams and Minamino to get more minutes especially now we can use 5 subs.

Liverpool Legend
Liverpool Legend
I don't think we can rely on Matip staying fit for more than 3 games in a row and hopefully Lovren won't be here for much longer.

That job interview was going so well until I realized I was fukked up on acid in the middle of a cornfield naked and talking to a scarecrow.
Liverpool Legend
Liverpool Legend
Originally Posted By AccaBoosty
I think you underestimate our players Vish. I think any team that loses a key player has to adapt.

I would rather play Matip and Gomez together than Fabinho and Gomez because taking Fabinho out of that midfield position weakens the team more.

For what it is worth though I think Fabinho and Gomez would be an excellent pairing if called upon. You have to look at the whole picture and remember who the goalkeeper is that is our last line of defence.

Remember that 4-3 win v City last season? We had Karius in goal, TAA was on the bench, no VVD as he was injured, Henderson out too and Milner only came on a sub. No Fabinho back then either.

Remember us beating Barcelona 4-0. No Salah or Firmino and Robertson off at HT when it was only 1-0.

Remember the kids wiping the floor with Everton's best team in the FA cup. Everton never looked like scoring in that second half. OK they should have been 2 or 3 up by HT but the lads took the lead and then closed out in the most comfortable way I think I have ever seen in a local derby.

Every time we spend no money or miss out on a signing we get the same mentality on here that the sky is falling in. Two defeats in 63 or 64 league games isn't it? Sorry if I have lost count. Four trophies in 12 months. The best manager in the world. More world class players than we have probably ever had at one time. And those that are not world class are certainly more than good enough to play with them.

I don't know why I have to keep reminding people how fukking awesome this team is and how they keep stepping up to the plate. And I tire of people saying Origi can't do this and Gomez can't do that, Jones and Williams are not ready. Yes I would be concerned if we lost several players for 3 months. That is just unfortunate and part of the game. But we do have a certain mentality in the squad that anything is possible.

Perhaps we might see some changes now we have won the title. Records could be broken but players could also be rested for next season now and others asked to show what they can do.

With several players needing appearances to qualify for medals expect to see Elliott, Jones, Williams and Minamino to get more minutes especially now we can use 5 subs.

If I am under estimating anything, then it's the bench. Yes we have beaten Barca with Salah and I think Firmino out and to be honest I never expected that, but I dont think that team can play at that level consistently, I mean, look at Hendo that night, dont think he can repeat such a performance 2 weeks in a row, he looked to be on drugs, completely charged up.

Dont you think there was a reason why Klopp wanted strongly to bring Werner? Do you think Milner should play at left back in our system? Two top additions would make not only our team strong but the squad, is it too much to ask for the most profitable club for the last 3 years having spend only 10m over the last 3 transfer windows? Look at how City imploded probably only because they did not replace Kompany or rather Laporte got injured long term, do you think we should take that kind of risk when we have the 14th net spend over the last few years? I dont think that it is fair to hide FSG's failings with Klopp's exploits

Last edited by EnergisedReds; 30/06/20 11:30 AM.
E
1st Team Squad
1st Team Squad
E
[quote=EnergisedReds]

You think Fabinho with Gomez would be a good pairing should VVD need a rest?

As I said, I would use Fabinho as CB in an emergency, Fabinho has played in Defence for Brazil, so I would be ok if Fabinho & Gomez started if VvD, Matip & Lovren were not available for any reason, they would need a strong team to help protect them (TAA/Robertson/Alisson/Hendo etc).

I agree we need a new CB if Lovren leaves as expected, but not an £80 million one, we also have Sepp van den Berg who looked abit out of his depth early on, but looked good in the cup games, so Klopp may look to bring him into the squad, certainly for cup games now he has more experience and knows the league/our style better. I also liked the look of Nat Philipps, he looked good in pre-season then went on loan to Stuttgart and has made 19 appearances, so Klopp will probably bring him back, he's 23 now, so should be ready, or we will sell him.

R
Under 23 Player
Under 23 Player
R

[/quote]

Dont you think there was a reason why Klopp wanted strongly to bring Werner? Do you think Milner should play at left back in our system? Two top additions would make not only our team strong but the squad, is it too much to ask for the most profitable club for the last 3 years having spend only 10m over the last 3 transfer windows? Look at how City imploded probably only because they did not replace Kompany or rather Laporte got injured long term, do you think we should take that kind of risk when we have the 14th net spend over the last few years? I dont think that it is fair to hide FSG's failings with Klopp's exploits [/quote]

I think this is the point. LFC are one of if not the best team in the world and very profitable. If people ask for 1-2 signings they get labeled as doomsayers.

We might still win it next season with zero signings and even losing players but we'd need luck with injuries again. Now is the time to follow the old philosophy, 2 out, 2 in, with the incomings an improvement over the outgoings.

I was never Lovren's biggest fan but he's completely shot, an absolute liability and we shouldn't rely on our best midfielder to fill in at CB.

I'd replace Lovren with someone who can compete with Gomez and a front 3 player better than Shaquiri/Origi. We're probably expecting too much with Sancho but it depends on his wage demands. He'd certainly signal intent we're building for the future.

Liverpool Legend
Liverpool Legend
Shaq replaced by Ryan Fraser would be a kick in the teeth.

That job interview was going so well until I realized I was fukked up on acid in the middle of a cornfield naked and talking to a scarecrow.
Liverpool Legend
Liverpool Legend
Originally Posted By lumba
Shaq replaced by Ryan Fraser would be a kick in the teeth.

Well, if we can sell Shaq for 20m and get Fraser for free, it would be great business. That said, I dont think they pay in the same position and we rather need a left footer

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  KopTalk Team 

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Advertisements
Liverpool FC Discussion