Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
E
1st Team Squad
1st Team Squad
E
With all the uncertainty at the moment, I think Liverpool (like most clubs) do not want to heavily invest, as the future is uncertain, we haven't even started the games to finish this PL season yet, if the R level go's up or allot of infections, it could all be called off and PL clubs could have to pay large amounts back to the TV companies, with next season being uncertain and diminishing revenues while outgoings remain the same for staff/player wages/bills.

Chelsea have jumped in to get Werner as they see an opportunity, they have £130 million from the sale of Hazard and being banned from transfers for the window have not spent it, also being underwritten by Abramovich if they need it.

Sancho & Havertz may be sold, but I think it will be late in the summer at least, when the financial & football future is more certain.

Liverpool Legend
OP Offline
Liverpool Legend
Originally Posted By ecnirp98
With all the uncertainty at the moment, I think Liverpool (like most clubs) do not want to heavily invest, as the future is uncertain, we haven't even started the games to finish this PL season yet, if the R level go's up or allot of infections, it could all be called off and PL clubs could have to pay large amounts back to the TV companies, with next season being uncertain and diminishing revenues while outgoings remain the same for staff/player wages/bills.

Chelsea have jumped in to get Werner as they see an opportunity, they have £130 million from the sale of Hazard and being banned from transfers for the window have not spent it, also being underwritten by Abramovich if they need it.

Sancho & Havertz may be sold, but I think it will be late in the summer at least, when the financial & football future is more certain.

Hazard went for 100m and the money is/was already spent, the bought Pulicic early joining after 6 months, I think they expected there would be a ban, then paid for Kovacic who was on loan initially and bought Ziyech in Jan. However, the will receive 58m for Morata in July, but if you add the Werner fee, their overall net spend is 40 million more than us.

https://chelseafclatestnews.com/chelsea-fc-transfer-players-in-and-out/

E
1st Team Squad
1st Team Squad
E
Originally Posted By EnergisedReds

Hazard went for 100m and the money is/was already spent, the bought Pulicic early joining after 6 months, I think they expected there would be a ban, then paid for Kovacic who was on loan initially and bought Ziyech in Jan. However, the will receive 58m for Morata in July, but if you add the Werner fee, their overall net spend is 40 million more than us.

It was widely reported Hazard went for £130 million, the point is they presumably have transfer money, and have Abramovick
h to underwrite them if needed, if someone would have come in and bought Wilson, Origi or Grujic for £40+ million, I am guessing we would have bought Werner for £50 million as we had the transfer money available.

The club is preparing for an unknown future, as are all clubs, so having capital and cashflow available is important for the future of the club to deal with their commitments with a potential large loss of revenue, which ATM no one can accurately forecast, so I am guessing most of people running the clubs are budgeting for the worse scenario, so they can deal with whet is coming, which is basic financial management in a business.

A
Under 23 Player
Under 23 Player
A
The good thing is we are in a position where we do not have to sell and we have players who should deliver major trophies over the next 3 years.

In the meantime if we keep up our league form of the last 2 seasons others will still be chasing shadows.

I would bite your hands off for another PL and CL in the next 3 seasons although I think what we have at the moment is capable of more.

Liverpool Legend
OP Offline
Liverpool Legend

It was widely reported Hazard went for £130 million, the point is they presumably have transfer money, and have Abramovick
h to underwrite them if needed, if someone would have come in and bought Wilson, Origi or Grujic for £40+ million, I am guessing we would have bought Werner for £50 million as we had the transfer money available.

The club is preparing for an unknown future, as are all clubs, so having capital and cashflow available is important for the future of the club to deal with their commitments with a potential large loss of revenue, which ATM no one can accurately forecast, so I am guessing most of people running the clubs are budgeting for the worse scenario, so they can deal with whet is coming, which is basic financial management in a business.

What did they do last summer and dont tell me we didnt need a player like Werner then, we were lucky that none of our forwards got injured long term.

E
1st Team Squad
1st Team Squad
E

What did they do last summer and dont tell me we didnt need a player like Werner then, we were lucky that none of our forwards got injured long term.

We decided to not buy anyone, I cannot answer for Klopp & FSG, I agree we should have got someone in to cover the front 3, I am guessing the players Klopp wanted were not available, we bought Minamino in January, so maybe Klopp is happier with cover now?

My concern is we maybe slipping back by not re-enforcng, we have a few key players (front 3 for a start) hitting their peak late 20's, so we need to replace them in the next few years, successful teams replace and strengthen players while they are strong.

One thing I don't get in all the Werner transfer is that it was obvious Klopp liked him and we were after him, but for the short term financial crisis we have not bought, but he is a young player at 24 and Klopp's mantra is he buys a player for 5 years, not for now, so if that's the case, I think we should have funded the move, as once Werner joins Chelsea, he will be out of our league for the next transfer, as if he does well, he will be £100 million for his next transfer in 2-3 years, so seems short sighted to me and FSG should have backed Klopp of he wanted the player.

I suspect we are waiting to sell players like Shaq/Wilson/Grujic/Lovren to see what they bring in before we commit to signings, as the prices for these are unknown.

Liverpool Legend
OP Offline
Liverpool Legend

We decided to not buy anyone, I cannot answer for Klopp & FSG, I agree we should have got someone in to cover the front 3, I am guessing the players Klopp wanted were not available, we bought Minamino in January, so maybe Klopp is happier with cover now?

My concern is we maybe slipping back by not re-enforcng, we have a few key players (front 3 for a start) hitting their peak late 20's, so we need to replace them in the next few years, successful teams replace and strengthen players while they are strong.

One thing I don't get in all the Werner transfer is that it was obvious Klopp liked him and we were after him, but for the short term financial crisis we have not bought, but he is a young player at 24 and Klopp's mantra is he buys a player for 5 years, not for now, so if that's the case, I think we should have funded the move, as once Werner joins Chelsea, he will be out of our league for the next transfer, as if he does well, he will be £100 million for his next transfer in 2-3 years, so seems short sighted to me and FSG should have backed Klopp of he wanted the player.

I suspect we are waiting to sell players like Shaq/Wilson/Grujic/Lovren to see what they bring in before we commit to signings, as the prices for these are unknown.

For me it is obvious that it was more important to reimburse the loan than buy a player. It cannot be that Klopp suddenly wanted Werner now, it just that last summer he was not given funds, didnt he say he had no funds because there were bills to pay? Werner was entering his last contract year and if we wanted, we could have got him for the 50m exit clause at most, clubs get very nervous when players reach their last contract year. When we didnt make a bid, Werner signed an improved contract to increase his wages but also agreed on the exit clause RB valued him as a minimum. By selling Origi last year for 25-30m after the Barca and Spurs CL games, we could have added the 20m loan repayment and buy Werner.

E
1st Team Squad
1st Team Squad
E

For me it is obvious that it was more important to reimburse the loan than buy a player. It cannot be that Klopp suddenly wanted Werner now, it just that last summer he was not given funds, didnt he say he had no funds because there were bills to pay? Werner was entering his last contract year and if we wanted, we could have got him for the 50m exit clause at most, clubs get very nervous when players reach their last contract year. When we didnt make a bid, Werner signed an improved contract to increase his wages but also agreed on the exit clause RB valued him as a minimum. By selling Origi last year for 25-30m after the Barca and Spurs CL games, we could have added the 20m loan repayment and buy Werner.

At the time last summer it was reported that Werner signed the new contract to help protect his value for RB, they had developed him and he was loyal, so the first release clause was not until this summer, if the outbreak had not happened I think we would have bought him this summer, Chelsea have jumped in at an uncertain time and we have decided not to go in for him, I think it is a mistake if Klopp wanted him.

1st Team Squad
1st Team Squad
I think it's disgusting tbh...Klopp delivered them the CL last season, the PL, Super Cup and World Club Championship this season and it's patently clear various fringe players will be sold or leaving soon. Werner has been touted as a prime target for a long time for Klopp...50m even during a ChiComm pandemic, really is a droplet of what the club has reaped in recent times and is likely to save on wages of outgoing players!

E
1st Team Squad
1st Team Squad
E
Originally Posted By Pickles
I think it's disgusting tbh...Klopp delivered them the CL last season, the PL, Super Cup and World Club Championship this season and it's patently clear various fringe players will be sold or leaving soon. Werner has been touted as a prime target for a long time for Klopp...50m even during a ChiComm pandemic, really is a droplet of what the club has reaped in recent times and is likely to save on wages of outgoing players!

I agree, if Klopp wanted him, FSG should have backed him and got him, if we get a forward next season, he probably won't be any cheaper than the £50 million Werner would have cost.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  KopTalk Team 

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Advertisements
Liverpool FC Discussion