KopTalk

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 5 of 16 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 15 16
Liverpool Legend
Liverpool Legend
Yeah £50m for him ain’t bad. But you don’t just go straight in with that. Got to try and get the best deal you can.

Not sure on the window. I suppose after the league has finished? I’ve read about players who are out of contract as of June having small extensions until it’s finished so would make sense.

E
1st Team Squad
1st Team Squad
E
Originally Posted By wilkij1975
Yeah £50m for him ain’t bad. But you don’t just go straight in with that. Got to try and get the best deal you can.

Not sure on the window. I suppose after the league has finished? I’ve read about players who are out of contract as of June having small extensions until it’s finished so would make sense.

Makes sense for short extensions for players out of contract, if a smaller club lost a few out of contract players it could really weaken them, also, I am guessing as there is no transfer window they may not be able to sign for a new club anyway.

I am sure Michael Edwards & FSG will drive the best deal they can, hopefully we can get the deal done, if we only sign him this summer and lose the players we expect to leave - Lallana/Clyne/Shaq I would be happy with that, but I might be in the minority on here!!!!

Liverpool Legend
Liverpool Legend
I think with all the uncertainty that’s be ok for me too. The spend, spend, spend brigade will do their nut but you can never please the pathologically miserable. We’re in a good position especially if he’s said his preference was to join us. I’m sure if someone offers the buyout we’ll be in there.

Liverpool Legend
Liverpool Legend
Originally Posted By ecnirp98
Originally Posted By wilkij1975

Makes sense for short extensions for players out of contract, if a smaller club lost a few out of contract players it could really weaken them, also, I am guessing as there is no transfer window they may not be able to sign for a new club anyway.

I am sure Michael Edwards & FSG will drive the best deal they can, hopefully we can get the deal done, if we only sign him this summer and lose the players we expect to leave - Lallana/Clyne/Shaq I would be happy with that, but I might be in the minority on here!!!!

Edwards will try to do a VVD most probably, ie, tapping the player and try to get a bargain and having to retract. However, paid the asking fee after a few months after selling Coutinho. We were lucky City or United didnt grab him, hopefully doesnt happen to others Klopp wants.

E
1st Team Squad
1st Team Squad
E
Originally Posted By EnergisedReds
[quote=ecnirp98]
Edwards will try to do a VVD most probably, ie, tapping the player and try to get a bargain and having to retract. However, paid the asking fee after a few months after selling Coutinho. We were lucky City or United didnt grab him, hopefully doesnt happen to others Klopp wants.

I don't think any tapping up is required, Werner has been quite open on his thoughts, it is about agreeing a fee, that's part of Michael Edwards job, to get the best deal he can for LFC, this is a changing market with the virus, so he should use that to our advantage if he can.

There is a chance we do not sign Werner due to our negotiations, but that's part of the game, we missed out on Fekir, but then we got Alisson. I think Alisson has been the better buy, if we would have got Fekir, I doubt we would have signed Alisson in the same Window, which would have left us with Karius or Mig's in goal, I doubt we would be 25 points clear in PL & CL champions now if that would have happened.

Liverpool Legend
Liverpool Legend
[quote=ecnirp98]

I don't think any tapping up is required, Werner has been quite open on his thoughts, it is about agreeing a fee, that's part of Michael Edwards job, to get the best deal he can for LFC, this is a changing market with the virus, so he should use that to our advantage if he can.

There is a chance we do not sign Werner due to our negotiations, but that's part of the game, we missed out on Fekir, but then we got Alisson. I think Alisson has been the better buy, if we would have got Fekir, I doubt we would have signed Alisson in the same Window, which would have left us with Karius or Mig's in goal, I doubt we would be 25 points clear in PL & CL champions now if that would have happened.

Far too sensible for the spend, spend, spend brigade to get there eccy.

Liverpool Legend
Liverpool Legend
[quote=ecnirp98]

Yes it is his job to negotiate the best deal, but I thought you said we will buy who Klopp wants, and in this case, the tranfer fee is known. I told you that FSG wont buy for any significant amount unless we sell and we agreed to wait and see. I said it was the same story when we bought VVD, ie, if we hadn't sold Coutinho, we wouldn't have bought him. What I want to say is that for FSG profit is the most important thing, winning trophies comes after and we are not even talking about money out of their pocket but what is generated by the club.

Lots of fans spend money on the club and it is normal that they want the money generated by the club through profits is spent in making the club stronger instead of selling before buying. I don't care if LFC makes huge profits as long as it is not losing money, I am however interested in having the best players we can afford.

Liverpool Legend
OP Offline
Liverpool Legend
Liverpool is predominately a commercial enterprise however any club at the moment needs to be very cautious with their finances transfers and contracts. The silly era is well and truly over.

IF YOU WANT TO BE HEARD SPEAK SOFTLY - BOB PAISLEY
Liverpool Legend
Liverpool Legend
Originally Posted By Stanley Park
Liverpool is predominately a commercial enterprise however any club at the moment needs to be very cautious with their finances transfers and contracts. The silly era is well and truly over.

Agree it's a commercial enterprise but I dont think a football club should exist only to make profits as other commercial enterprises, it should not lose money and go bankrupt for sure, but shouldn't be a money making machine for its shareholders. If you take the biggest clubs in the world, that is Real Madrid, Barcelona and Bayern are owned by fans whose objective is not to get dividends but for the club to win trophies unlike United for example whose owners bought the club through a leveraged buy out and has put huge debt on the club and also regularly taking dividends.

D
Under 18 Player
Under 18 Player
D
The squad is a mixture players that are just heading past their prime (thinking Hendo, Wij, Milner, Firmino? ) and players that are apparently either too young or not good enough to displace them.

It may be that until we win the league - assuming we do (which is always dangerous, and particularly in a scenario where the players may think they've done it but then have to win games in empty stadia, playing against teams that will be fired up to spoil our day) Klopp will not want to do any thinking about future players.

If we don't buy a couple of game ready 23-25yr old top class players, this season, we will need a wholesale rebuild, in two seasons - which might not be as easy. By then we may have had next season bereft of success and no longer have the pull we currently have. I have my doubts about Werner fitting in to our style BUT if Klopp did want him, and the funds allow, it seems crazy not strengthen. We are now linked with a Barca reject with attitude issues, if the media are to be believed. Why is this link stronger? Is he cheaper?

In any event, it is impossible to stand still for long without stagnation and disengagement being a danger. Ferguson constantly looked to improve his squad even when they were winning leagues. That provides competition for places - which is healthy. I worry (plenty other have made same obs) that the front three pick themselves without competition. We've been lucky with injuries (again, as obs by many others), on the whole. We also have almost no creative edge anymore, in midfield and that should be addressed. We have plenty of reasons to invest and to not do so will jeopardise the progress Klopp has made.

Page 5 of 16 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 15 16

Moderated by  KopTalk Team 

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Advertisements
Liverpool FC Discussion