Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Liverpool Legend
Liverpool Legend
Originally Posted By wilkij1975
Originally Posted By AccaBoosty
Originally Posted By EnergisedReds
I dont think prices will drop a lot this summer because the game has been affected by about 6-8 weeks and they have already started training in Germany. It's just like a summer holiday period. TV rights and subscriptions have been on for the better part of the season and the only problem are tickets sales (normal because season tickets have been sold for the season anyway, maybe they will be reimbursed or clubs will offer online pay tv to those fans). I rather think that if anything the effect will be on next season transfers, it's only then that clubs will understand the impact. I think PPV system will just go up.

I understand what you are saying because once up and running a lot of where the money comes from will continue to flow in. But I think that there will be a lack of confidence not just in football but in all walks of life when Joe Public decides to spend his money. Financially everyone is going to take a hit on this and people will spend money on the really important things. I agree it is like a summer holiday period but what if this happens again. The whole game from grass roots up needs to cut its cloth accordingly.

What we are left with is going to be a lot different.

I think you’re right. I don’t think many clubs will spend like they did and risk not being financially sound a few months later when the full impact of this kicks in. Utd will spend as they are desperate and City will because, well, they’re City and we all know what they do. Apart from that it could be a pretty flat window. Let’s just hope the moaning is to a minimum if we don’t spank £100’s of millions.

It’ll also be interesting to see what happens to players who’s contracts end in June if weee still playing (or not started again) by then?

Do you think a lot of people will cancel their subscriptions to tv channels, in any case the tv rights are sold for next season as well and unless Sky defaults, clubs will still get their money.

I think the main issue will be gate revenue which is I think 15% of our revenues for example, still significant, but I think clubs will implement social distancing by allowing probably only season ticket holders or clubs will move to PPV tv. People will still need to be entertained, it's overseas travel that would take a hit IMO. Personally I will keep my subscription unless I dont have money for essentials but wont travel for holidays etc first.

Liverpool Legend
OP Offline
Liverpool Legend
If people are losing their jobs then yes they will cancel their Sky. Why wouldn’t they? Even if the TV money is in for next season, clubs may just sit on that until things get back to ‘normal’ and not spend?

E
1st Team Squad
1st Team Squad
E
Originally Posted By wilkij1975
If people are losing their jobs then yes they will cancel their Sky. Why wouldn’t they? Even if the TV money is in for next season, clubs may just sit on that until things get back to ‘normal’ and not spend?

Allot of people are currently furloughed from their work, so the government are picking up their pay, when that ends, I think allot of companies will make people redundant as they will not be able to come back trading as usual and will not be able to pay all their staff, so non essentials like SKY/BT TV will be the first things cut.

V
1st Team Squad
1st Team Squad
V
Also, when companies that survive this crisis find themselves in financial disarray, why would they keep sponsoring the PL?

They need to look out for their own survival first and foremost.

In the 18/19 season Liverpool FC had the following revenue streams:

Matchday: 94.5 (16%)
Broadcasting: 299.3 (49%)
Commercial: 210.9 (35%)
Total: 604.7 (100%)

So a lot can be lost if the commercial side takes a dive, which it certainly will!

1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular
There will be a decline but it's like looking at the property market, the curve will continue to rise. I think the biggest factor is the tv money and if that stream of money stays intact for clubs the spending will continue, and in the medium to long run the prices will increase once again.

Back to Back World Champions baby!
Snakeye #632842 22/04/20 07:30 PM
E
1st Team Squad
1st Team Squad
E
Originally Posted By Snakeye
There will be a decline but it's like looking at the property market, the curve will continue to rise. I think the biggest factor is the tv money and if that stream of money stays intact for clubs the spending will continue, and in the medium to long run the prices will increase once again.

People need to buy/rent houses to live, paying for football on TV is not essential, I can see allot of subscribers leaving SKY/BT, which will mean SKY/BT cannot pay the huge TV deals going forward, the likes of Amazon/Google may come in and pick some games up, but they will be competitive, they will not pay over the odds, particularly when their rivals are bidding lower and money is tight.

A
Under 23 Player
Under 23 Player
A
I have been furloughed but we are being made redundant July next year anyway. As I work for a car manufacturer we are pretty much fukked I think and it would not surprise me to see these jobs go a lot sooner. I am guessing even as early as August this year for some of us.

Regarding Sky and BT I renegotiated my package with the former and ditched the latter 3 days before lockdown here was announced to save £60 a month. I can always go back but I will be looking for a deal and watching carefully what is happening with my job.

1st Team Squad
1st Team Squad
Sorry to hear Acca.

On the TV subscriptions I could see the likes of Netflix starting up a live service for football. With Amazon putting their feet in the water last Christmas it could motivate Netflix to have a go, considering they've been cleaning up recently?

Pickles #632854 23/04/20 10:43 AM
E
1st Team Squad
1st Team Squad
E
Originally Posted By Pickles
Sorry to hear Acca.

On the TV subscriptions I could see the likes of Netflix starting up a live service for football. With Amazon putting their feet in the water last Christmas it could motivate Netflix to have a go, considering they've been cleaning up recently?

The SKY TV/BT PL deal runs until the summer of 2022, SKY & BT are hanging onto customers by suspending their Sports subscriptions, to be started again when football is back on TV.

SKY & BT will be desperate to get football on TV, particularly with with it likely to be behind closed doors, so there are lots of potential new customers who cannot goto games/pubs to watch (pubs may still be shut), so SKY & BT will not be doing any favours to other TV companies, they have exclusive rites and will want to retain them.

It's like the talk of free to air games, I don't see how they can do that unless SKY & BT agree, which does not make any commercial sense to me, unless the likes of free to air TV channels buy games from SKY/BT, which I cannot see happening.

ecnirp98 #632857 23/04/20 11:36 AM
Liverpool Legend
Liverpool Legend
Originally Posted By ecnirp98
Originally Posted By Pickles
Sorry to hear Acca.

The SKY TV/BT PL deal runs until the summer of 2022, SKY & BT are hanging onto customers by suspending their Sports subscriptions, to be started again when football is back on TV.

SKY & BT will be desperate to get football on TV, particularly with with it likely to be behind closed doors, so there are lots of potential new customers who cannot goto games/pubs to watch (pubs may still be shut), so SKY & BT will not be doing any favours to other TV companies, they have exclusive rites and will want to retain them.

It's like the talk of free to air games, I don't see how they can do that unless SKY & BT agree, which does not make any commercial sense to me, unless the likes of free to air TV channels buy games from SKY/BT, which I cannot see happening.

The Saturday 3pm kick off is not sold, but cant see how it will be free of charge, doesnt make sense, it will be pay per view to cover for gate revenues. Dont think football business will suffer significantly, its travel and tourism which will suffer

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  KopTalk Team 

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Advertisements
Liverpool FC Discussion