KopTalk

Quick Links: View All | Latest News | Liverpool FC Forum | Off Topic Forum | KopTalk Members | Help

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#632389 - 29/03/20 08:34 AM Re: This Football Season Below National League Voided [Re: EnergisedReds]
Ian Offline
Trialist

Loc: Durham
Exactly, we appear to obsessed with next season instead of concentrating on finishing this one.

For me aim to conclude this season by late June or early July, give the players 2 weeks off, curtail long drawn out pre season friendlies and look to start the new season around late Sept early Oct, play 2 games a week for the first 4 weeks and get rid of the ridiculous international breaks up till christmas. Wont be long before we are caught up.

#632390 - 29/03/20 09:58 AM Re: This Football Season Below National League Voided [Re: Ian]
wilkij1975 Offline
Liverpool Legend

Loc: Northamptonshire
Originally Posted By Ian
Exactly, we appear to obsessed with next season instead of concentrating on finishing this one.

For me aim to conclude this season by late June or early July, give the players 2 weeks off, curtail long drawn out pre season friendlies and look to start the new season around late Sept early Oct, play 2 games a week for the first 4 weeks and get rid of the ridiculous international breaks up till christmas. Wont be long before we are caught up.

Next season can wait as far as Iím concerned. To think that itíll start on time is a little off the mark Iíd say. We just need to concentrate on finishing this season whether that be by June, August, September or even into next year. We just canít plan for anything at the moment.

#632411 - 29/03/20 07:19 PM Re: This Football Season Below National League Voided [Re: EnergisedReds]
AccaBoosty Offline
Under 23 Player

Originally Posted By EnergisedReds
There is no point in starting a new season without finishing the previous.

Absolutely spot on!
We keep getting told June/July etc. etc. But what happens if we don't finish this until November. Are we seriously going to start some sort of season then? We cannot let this thing destroy 2 seasons or more. We sit and wait. We finish this season. We promote, relegate and then start again with an aim to finish in May next year. That may mean the next season is shortened or revamped to keep it going but this season must finish.

Football in this country has so much money involved in it that it can be the thing that regenerates the nation when this horrible thing goes away. The professional game here runs deep and has many more teams than you will see in any other country.

#632451 - 01/04/20 09:36 AM Re: This Football Season Below National League Voided [Re: AccaBoosty]
jim_beam Offline
Under 16 Player

Loc: North Wales
All this talk of voiding the league is worrying me at all levels of the game. I don't see how it's fair to void some leagues and not others.

Another thing that annoys me about this is anyone saying "just void it" clearly shows no attempt at any kind of imagination and is just looking for the easiest way out as possible.

Anyone saying this is usually in a position where last seasons positions will put them in a better place than where they currently are. I noticed Harry Kane piping up saying give it till June but then that conveniently puts eighth placed Spurs back into a champions league spot.

There is also the talk of not wanting to play behind closed doors which I completely get but these are special times and special measures may be needed to finish the league. If the league was finished because some people "didn't fancy playing behind closed doors" I would feel robbed. Get it done whatever it takes!

I get voiding a season if it's say anything around 50% done but it's almost finished. would make more sense in my eyes to say, there you've all had your time just take the final positions (not ideal).

Just taking some comfort in the fact that they came out and said the season will continue indefinitely so there it is in black and white it will continue. If they go back on their word that would be really poor form.

An example of how it's bad for any level is even down in the drossy leagues that I am involved in we have a newly formed team called Bangor 1876. This team has come about because the local team Bangor City have been under seriously suspect management for a few years now and the fans decided to form a new team. This new project has drawn a lot of interest and have really good players but have been put into the lowest league to start off in. Basically they have won most weeks by a double digit scoreline. To ask them to "start over" when there are only a few matched left to play would be seriously damaging for our local football over here.

Sadly I feel that the dinosaurs running our local league will just void the season, but why? It's not a big league, the games would be easy to fit in but the usual excuses of "players on holiday" and "teams unable to fulfill matches" will get branded about. Again so frustrating because its almost like these "players" will find any excuse to NOT play football!

#632453 - 01/04/20 10:45 AM Re: This Football Season Below National League Voided [Re: jim_beam]
jim_beam Offline
Under 16 Player

Loc: North Wales
Just thinking about when it was so important to the FA and premier league that fixtures were honored when we had to play a reserve team for the league cup and FA cup tie. City go on to win the league cup but what if we would have been given our chance? To just turn around now and say its too difficult to finish and that competition integrity is not that important after all would be crappy.

Anyway rant done.

#632454 - 01/04/20 11:36 AM Re: This Football Season Below National League Voided [Re: AccaBoosty]
wilkij1975 Offline
Liverpool Legend

Loc: Northamptonshire
No point voiding this season when thereís no guarantee that the next season will start on time.

May as well wait as long as it takes to finish this season and then worry about what to do with next. Thatís the fairest solution for every single team.

#632458 - 01/04/20 06:23 PM Re: This Football Season Below National League Voided [Re: AccaBoosty]
Pickles Offline
Under 23 Player

It's a real quandary, not just for this season finishing but the start up of next season, AFCON, Olympics and the put back Euro's!

Players are going to be seriously fatigued going to finish up the remaining season, jumping straight into the next season, then straight off to tournaments with their Countries.

I've suggested it before and it would greatly help the oncoming problem by finishing this season then reduce the amount of games for next season by only playing teams once. They can make sure there is a fairness to the amounts of games played at home and away. For those of us who point the finger regularly at the fixture list organisers, we could make this a televised event draw...a sort of celebration for the football starting back up.

#632460 - 01/04/20 06:47 PM Re: This Football Season Below National League Voided [Re: wilkij1975]
van Gogh Online   content
1st Team Squad

Loc: Out Of Town
Originally Posted By wilkij1975
No point voiding this season when thereís no guarantee that the next season will start on time.

May as well wait as long as it takes to finish this season and then worry about what to do with next. Thatís the fairest solution for every single team.

Indeed!

We don't know anything about the time fram atm. Could be 1 month or 2 years before we get going properly again!

#632537 - 05/04/20 08:04 PM Re: This Football Season Below National League Voided [Re: AccaBoosty]
The Kop Prophet Offline
Under 16 Player

Why don't they do what the Belgium league did - just end the season with current standings? The games are NOT going to be completed - there is no way after the Olympics and Wimbledon were canceled. You can't take medical staff away from the crisis - it's just not going to happen.

Or, they could find a way to award points for remaining fixtures based on some performance algorithm for games played. Either way, the relegated clubs and clubs that narrowly miss out on promotion, will probably sue the FA. But I can't think of any other way but to end it as it stands.

#632538 - 05/04/20 08:24 PM Re: This Football Season Below National League Voided [Re: AccaBoosty]
van Gogh Online   content
1st Team Squad

Loc: Out Of Town
The Belgian solution looks OK imo.

The league ended as it stood.

All 16 clubs in the first division remain there next season again. No teams are being relegated in other words.

2 promoted teams will join the first division, so the Jupiler Pro League will consist of 18 teams instead of 16 next season.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  KopTalk Team 
Shout Box

Advertisements

Liverpool FC Discussion
Werner the new Torres
by ecnirp98
21 minutes 31 seconds ago
Elation Limiter ?
by wilkij1975
Today at 10:08 AM
Could now be the time for a Euro Super League?
by ecnirp98
Yesterday at 12:45 PM
17th June it is then!
by ecnirp98
Yesterday at 12:18 PM
Live dressing room cam
by AccaBoosty
Yesterday at 12:10 PM

General Discussion
Coronavirus Cure?
by EnergisedReds
Today at 06:02 PM