KopTalk

Quick Links: View All | Latest News | Liverpool FC Forum | Off Topic Forum | KopTalk Members | Help

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#632354 - 27/03/20 01:12 AM This Football Season Below National League Voided
AccaBoosty Offline
Under 23 Player

I know there are more important things in life than football at the moment but this news worries me for a number of reasons.

Firstly, it shows how long it is going to be before football at any level will start up. Realistically it's going to be June/ July at best.

Secondly it sets a precedent to what may or may not follow in the coming days and weeks. My fear is that the FA is using the lower leagues to test the water and measure the backlash that may yet follow. One club has won 27 out of 27 this season and they are not going to get promotion.

I am not looking for anyone to hand us the title until it is done. I don't want a title with an asterisk against it. That would be the biggest insult ever. I don't want the charity and we really don't need fans of other clubs giving it large for what will be forever.

If this is voided now we may as well not come back after this blows over. What happens if we start next season and don't finish that one either? It's not just football it's any sport. But football is the big one and contributes millions upon millions to our government year after year. Add up the tax paid by the players on their wages, the VAT element of your matchday ticket, the VAT on your replica shirt, your pre-match pint, your travel costs to the game. It is massive.

Football has the ability to unite a nation. We have a government who in their previous guises wrecked industry and manufacturing in this country. The PL is the goose that lays the golden egg. Perhaps we need to weed a few things out of it to keep it going at all levels such as cap wages and stop agents taking money out of the game. But we can do that later.

We can easily rename the season PL XXVIII or PL 28 or even the 2019/21 season and get it finished. That is still an option. The only people who want it to finish now and binned off are Liverpool haters. For many of us sport is a fantastic diversion from our problems and struggles in life. It is the source of many friendships and discussions we have in a daily basis. Let's hope we don't bin it off.

#632355 - 27/03/20 02:27 AM Re: This Football Season Below National League Voided [Re: AccaBoosty]
Pickles Offline
Under 23 Player

Don't see how they can possibly do this, The FA have just put themselves in legal jeopardy.

Minnow clubs, The FA may be able to handle a drawn at process and hope to win by default of clubs not being able to keep stumping up legal costs. Big Clubs however there is NO possible way The FA have the gonads to try this with. Especially with LFC because the season is over three quarters done and Liverpool currently have a 25 point lead with 9 games left.

They're already getting threatened with legal action...

Northern Premier League Premier Division leaders South Shields FC were set for promotion to National League North with a 13-point gap to second, but will now spend another campaign in tier seven of English football.

Chairman Geoff Thompson vented his frustration on Twitter, saying they had been "badly let down".

"SSFC will be writing to the FA in the strongest possible terms and will seek an appeal or will take legal action," he said.

"Whatever the outcome following this appalling decision the club will continue as before. However, there is no denying this decision has a huge financial impact.

"We have invested heavily this year in a host of areas and the loss of promotion will also affect some of our revenue assumptions for next season. My message to all our SSFC fans and sponsors is - sorry a huge disappointment and we've all been badly let down."

There is also huge commercial companies sponsoring the likes of Liverpool who will also demand compensation.

Testing the water or not, The FA don't want financial legal ruin!

#632356 - 27/03/20 05:42 AM Re: This Football Season Below National League Voided [Re: AccaBoosty]
Snakeye Offline
1st Team Regular

Loc: New Zealand
If they want to void it across the board, they need to give the club a 25 point lead from the get go in the new one, also give leads back to other clubs, otherwise sit and wait as long as this takes then continue lead even if it's in 2 years time.

#632357 - 27/03/20 06:34 AM Re: This Football Season Below National League Voided [Re: AccaBoosty]
van Gogh Online   content
1st Team Squad

Loc: Out Of Town
Which means that the only possible solution is to:

1. Get the current season over the line .
2. Have a short break.
3. Then start the next season.

Edited by van Gogh (27/03/20 06:35 AM)

#632358 - 27/03/20 11:14 AM Re: This Football Season Below National League Voided [Re: AccaBoosty]
ecnirp98 Online   content
1st Team Squad

Loc: Madchester
Money talks here, the lower leagues below the EFL have no TV deal/season tickets, most of them are probably part time at best.

I do not think this sets a precedent, pretty much all the leagues in Europe have said they need to finish the current league before any new season can begin, if they were to cancel this season, any future seasons would feel hollow and would lose any credibility, which would undermine football long term.

I am confident we will finish this season, when and how no one knows, but this is going to take a long time to sort, I don't see us starting football for another 3-4 months at least based on what happened in China.

Interesting that a report came out from Uefa yesterday that players contracts will be extended until the end of the season, whenever that is (who were due to expire in June). I was listening to some legal experts saying this breaks UK employment law, so they could not enforce it if the player did not agree. They had an agent on who's player had agreed a deal to move from the Championship to PL, his pay was going up 10 times !!! so he said his player would not agree as he wanted the move in June to get on higher wages and not risk the deal by playing in the summer and possibly getting injured, so this will be a thorny subject.

#632364 - 27/03/20 01:20 PM Re: This Football Season Below National League Voided [Re: AccaBoosty]
Hercules/AF 58 Offline
1st Team Squad

I think the FA may try to get some cover behind a vote of the membership on the possible course of action. If they do the outcome could be unpredictable, but it would give them something of a fig leaf.

#632368 - 28/03/20 06:42 AM Re: This Football Season Below National League Voided [Re: AccaBoosty]
van Gogh Online   content
1st Team Squad

Loc: Out Of Town
Here's a nice read about recent calls for voiding the current season:

A TOUCH of the mischief over there.

A touch of getting a message out and seeing how it lands. A touch of voiding the league as a moral imperative from an unnamed executive.

The unnamed executive. The vast majority of my opinions - and I don't have that many - I put my name to and am glad to. Call me old fashioned. For starters, we'll focus on the moral imperative and ask this…

Why is starting a new season and playing football any more morally sound than ending another one whenever it can be ended?

I am not a man with a philosophy degree but it is worth pointing out that the activity itself is unchanged - 22 men (or women as the WSL needs to finish) running around after a ball trying to get it into a goal.

The context that is key to whether or not this is morally sound or tasteful isn't the stage of the season, it is the wider public health emergency. What the league table says under the P column makes absolutely no difference whatsoever. Consistency of thought isn't really a desire for our anonymous philosopher executive.

If I am being generous to the voiders I can make the argument that what they are actually seeking is validation to the idea that one day things will return to normal. What they want is a new start because that is what life feels like it needs right now.

If I am being neutral to the voiders I can make the argument that they are unable to countenance a season extending beyond a certain date; that their thinking is too limited to imagine a season starting in August 2019 and still being played in August 2020. They cannot process such a thing and so clasp to the emergency cord.

If I am being harsh on the voiders - as is necessary for our anonymous executive voider, because if he or she was acting in good faith they could voice their opinion publicly - then there is acting out of self interest.

What's telling is that this self interest will not be in the context of Liverpool. Because, as I keep saying, we're the easy bit. It will be in the context of a club who have gone ever so badly wrong this season and need the clock to be turned back at all costs.

They can make an internal intellectual argument that it is practically and financially worse for their club to have to pay back 762,000,000/20 in the short term over the medium and long-term consequences of their utterly dreadful season.

They can make an internal intellectual argument that it is practically and financially worse for the Premier League to have to sustain years of legal wrangling that will be an albatross for the competition to carry for a decade than suffer the medium and long-term consequences of their utterly dreadful season.

They can make an internal intellectual argument that the risk of starting a new season, when there is no guarantee it can be fulfilled, either crashing the confidence of both public and participants in the game, in the most direct competitive sense, is better than suffering the medium and long-term consequences of their utterly dreadful season.

And then we use the word "moral" to justify that internal thinking because you can't argue with "moral", can you? Can you? Yes, you can. And should.

Tottenham Hotspur or West Ham United, basically. Bad at running football clubs, bad at logical consistency. Quite good at running it up the flagpole and seeing who salutes. Ah, there is toffeeman1995 saluting away. Is that a Heysel comparison, sir? Oh, you do spoil us. Another crazy win.

This is vacuum filling, intellectually vacuous, nameless nonsense and is best treated as such. Ignore till someone can speak publicly, ignore till someone can string a logically coherent sentence together.

There you go. An email thoroughly explaining why ignoring something is good.

Unknot that one with logical thought.

#632370 - 28/03/20 12:51 PM Re: This Football Season Below National League Voided [Re: AccaBoosty]
Hercules/AF 58 Offline
1st Team Squad

Yes applying logical thought to those with voids where brains should be, is something of a conundrum for sure, especially since they tend to carry their voided brains in their underwear. However as the author implies: vested interest is instinctive to even the lowest members of the animal kingdom.

#632381 - 29/03/20 12:33 AM Re: This Football Season Below National League Voided [Re: AccaBoosty]
Pickles Offline
Under 23 Player

30 clubs have already threatened The FA with legal action...here's hoping nobody is hoarding the Tena for Men because the coffin dodgers at The FA need them!

#632385 - 29/03/20 03:08 AM Re: This Football Season Below National League Voided [Re: AccaBoosty]
EnergisedReds Offline
Liverpool Legend

There is no point in starting a new season without finishing the previous.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  KopTalk Team 
Shout Box

Advertisements

Liverpool FC Discussion
Werner the new Torres
by ecnirp98
21 minutes 31 seconds ago
Elation Limiter ?
by wilkij1975
Today at 10:08 AM
Could now be the time for a Euro Super League?
by ecnirp98
Yesterday at 12:45 PM
17th June it is then!
by ecnirp98
Yesterday at 12:18 PM
Live dressing room cam
by AccaBoosty
Yesterday at 12:10 PM

General Discussion
Coronavirus Cure?
by EnergisedReds
Today at 06:02 PM