Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Pickles Offline OP
1st Team Squad
OP Offline
1st Team Squad
I'm really considering getting one setup at my new house.

Does anybody have experience in growing their own vegetables?

Some advice needed because I have red clay soil which holds water because it clumps together. I know I'll need to put some good manure / topsoil on the surface.

I have a variety of herbs growing - mint, parsley, basil, cilantro but I want to grow some carrots, tomatoes, lettuce, cucumber, squash, zucchini and spring onions. I used to grow strawberries and potatoes back in UK in large trash cans which where successful, I may try that here too.

I also have banana trees which did start sprouting bananas late last year however it was too late (October) when we started to get our first frost and they died off. Those trees had only ever produced bananas 1 time before in 20 or so years because I spoke to the previous owner when the bananas started growing last year. Hopefully they start producing again but earlier this year so we can harvest them.

Any help would be appreciated from knowledgeable folk?

Liverpool Legend
Liverpool Legend
It’s something I’d like to do but haven’t got a big enough garden.

Would building raised beds help? Would lift anything away from the clay soil.

Pickles Offline OP
1st Team Squad
OP Offline
1st Team Squad
Good idea wilkij, thanks.

Raised beds would be good for some vegetables but probably not all.

I have plenty of land to do this but I've also got plenty of critters who'll no doubt try and take advantage of my veg garden -
Deer, wild rabbits, possum, ground hogs, raccoons, chipmunks etc...
I'll have to fortify it with some mesh / chicken wire fencing.

With all the uncertainty I think this could be a real benefit. I'm currently digging over some of my land and will get some manure / topsoil and seeds and i'll setup an irrigation system which should be easy enough, I am on well water.

Liverpool Legend
Liverpool Legend
You tube is your friend

IF YOU WANT TO BE HEARD SPEAK SOFTLY - BOB PAISLEY
X
Trialist
Trialist
X
To be honest I've been doing it for the past 3 years in the garden of my Bavaria real estate. I start planting tomatoes, cucumbers, lettuce and other herbs and vegetables during spring and by start-middle of summer I already get some that I can make a salad with.

Liverpool Legend
Liverpool Legend
The Mrs grows Toms,cucumbers, peppers and strawberries,i just build stuff for her so don't ask me.

That job interview was going so well until I realized I was fukked up on acid in the middle of a cornfield naked and talking to a scarecrow.
Liverpool Legend
Liverpool Legend
Originally Posted By wilkij1975
It’s something I’d like to do but haven’t got a big enough garden.

Would building raised beds help? Would lift anything away from the clay soil.
Grab yourself some pallets .

That job interview was going so well until I realized I was fukked up on acid in the middle of a cornfield naked and talking to a scarecrow.

Moderated by  KopTalk Team 

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Advertisements
Liverpool FC Discussion