Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Pickles Offline OP
1st Team Squad
OP Offline
1st Team Squad
Here you go Jurgen just show this to the players on the lead up to the Atl Madrid CL (Last16) 2nd leg and inside Anfield on the night!

'Anfield would not pass a technical inspection from UEFA to save it's life!': Atletico Madrid president jokes about the state of Liverpool's home prior to second leg of Champions League clash

Atletico Madrid president Enrique Cerezo has joked Liverpool's Anfield stadium 'would not pass a technical inspection to save its life' ahead of the return leg in the Champions League on March 11.

The LaLiga giants take a slender advantage heading into the second leg of the last-16 clash on Merseyside, with Saul Niguez netting the only goal of the game at the Wanda Metropolitano in the fourth minute.

Liverpool fans are set to give Atletico a hostile reception at Anfield as they look to inspire their beloved team to victory.

Atletico president Enrique Cerezo joked that Anfield would not pass a technical inspection

And ahead of the Champions League clash, the Spanish side's president has jokingly labelled the iconic Anfield, which is rated a four-star stadium by UEFA, as not fit for purpose.

'Anfield is a great stadium that is filled with great fans, but it is also very old,' Cerezo told Gol TV.

'But if Anfield had to pass a technical inspection from UEFA, it would not be able to do so to save it's life.'

Diego Simeone will be desperate for his side to produce another defensive masterclass at Anfield in March but he knows a much tougher test awaits him.

Atletico will look to take notes from Barcelona's exit from last season's Champions League - after they won 3-0 at home before being hammered 4-0 at Liverpool in the away leg.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footba...pools-home.html

Liverpool Legend
Liverpool Legend
I used to like Athletico. Always seemed to play good football and fo it with dignity. Seems like they’re just like the rest of the bitter Spanish lot now though. Hopefully we use this and take them to task.

1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular
So they move into a new stadium and then start saying [oops] like this? How about showing some humility and class towards other clubs with an old stadium because 2 seasons ago you were in an old stadium too. Unbelievable comments. Hopefully we knock them out and they continue their [oops] season in their brand new stadium.

Back to Back World Champions baby!
Liverpool Legend
Liverpool Legend
Originally Posted By Snakeye
So they move into a new stadium and then start saying [oops] like this? How about showing some humility and class towards other clubs with an old stadium because 2 seasons ago you were in an old stadium too. Unbelievable comments. Hopefully we knock them out and they continue their [oops] season in their brand new stadium.

All fans brag, are we not saying they will see hell with the Anfield atmosphere, even Klopp insinuated so.

T
Under 23 Player
Under 23 Player
T
This is perhaps just mind games. Trying to get under our skin. They are the underdogs and always are in their big games against Barcelona and especially Real. They therefore have to adopt the ways of an underdog both on and off the pitch.

On our part, I do sometimes feel that Klopp refers to the power of Anfield too often. In this case he perhaps referred to it too soon mentioning it on the night of the defeat I believe. Ideally Anfield should take care of itself and the teams would be shocked and awed on the evening of the game. But then again, if it's a mind game weapon that Klopp can use then I suppose why not?

In the long term, we may need to be prepared to move unless refurbishments can bring all parts of the stadium up to modern standards whilst also being able to retain the game atmosphere.

'I was only in the game for the love of football - and I wanted to bring back happiness to the people of Liverpool.' Bill Shankly

'We should have made a signing or two in the last couple of transfer windows.' Vish
1st Team Regular
1st Team Regular
Originally Posted By EnergisedReds

All fans brag, are we not saying they will see hell with the Anfield atmosphere, even Klopp insinuated so.

He is the president of the club. He is not a fan.

Back to Back World Champions baby!
T
Under 23 Player
Under 23 Player
T
Originally Posted By EnergisedReds

Hell? Really? Klopp is certainly not someone who would be thinking of it this way. The power at Anfield is a positive force in support of the home team. They are not antics designed to directly intimidate the opposition.

'I was only in the game for the love of football - and I wanted to bring back happiness to the people of Liverpool.' Bill Shankly

'We should have made a signing or two in the last couple of transfer windows.' Vish
Pickles Offline OP
1st Team Squad
OP Offline
1st Team Squad
I would put it... would we have overturned that 3 nil deficit in last seasons CL Semi-Final v Barcelona if the game was played anywhere else?

I believe most people's answer to that question would be "No". Anfield always has had a mesmerizing atmosphere that puts the fear of god into rival teams.

Upgrading Anfield and increasing the capacity is the best way to go. I'll admit I did want us to move to a new stadium when FSG were putting plans together but now I have more respect for the almost magical qualities Anfield brings.

T
Under 23 Player
Under 23 Player
T
https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/fo...lammed-17794903

Ouch! No punches pulled there then.

I probably agree with what I said here if not how it has been said. We should have been a bit smarter, kept quiet, allowed Atletico to feel that the job was done and then hot them on the night with our response.

But it is what it is. The game is still open.

Liverpool Legend
Liverpool Legend
Originally Posted By Pickles
I would put it... would we have overturned that 3 nil deficit in last seasons CL Semi-Final v Barcelona if the game was played anywhere else?

I believe most people's answer to that question would be "No". Anfield always has had a mesmerizing atmosphere that puts the fear of god into rival teams.

Upgrading Anfield and increasing the capacity is the best way to go. I'll admit I did want us to move to a new stadium when FSG were putting plans together but now I have more respect for the almost magical qualities Anfield brings.

The atmosphere and history of Anfield was why I always favoured developing it. As nice as a grand new stadium would be for the most part they’re soulless open spaces where any fan participation gets lost.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  KopTalk Team 

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Advertisements
Liverpool FC Discussion