KopTalk

Quick Links: View All | Latest News | Liverpool FC Forum | Off Topic Forum | KopTalk Members | Help

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#631584 - 21/02/20 12:18 PM Klopp tells young Man Utd fan 'I can't make Liverpool lose'
Pickles Online   happy
Under 23 Player

Klopp is just too nice! laugh

Jurgen Klopp tells young Man Utd fan 'I can't make Liverpool lose'

20 February 2020

Daragh Curley wrote the letter to Jurgen Klopp as part of a school project

A young Manchester United fan who made a bid to stop Liverpool winning the title has been left shocked after Jurgen Klopp sent him a personal reply.

Daragh Curley, from County Donegal, wrote to the Liverpool boss for a school assignment.

The 10-year-old asked if it would be possible for Liverpool to lose some games so they would not win the league.

Klopp wrote back, praising Daragh's passion, but explaining Liverpool could not drop points on his behalf.

Daragh's dad Gordon told BBC News NI that while most of his classmates were writing fan letters, Daragh instead decided to write a letter of complaint to the Liverpool boss.

In the letter, the Glenswilly National School pupil wrote: "Liverpool are winning too many games. If you win nine more games then you have the best unbeaten run in English football. Being a United fan that is very sad.

"So the next time Liverpool play, please make them lose. You should just let the other team score. I hope I have convinced you to not win the league or any other match ever again."

Daragh received the letter earlier this week

Mr Curley said he was shocked when a reply came.

"My wife Tricia was up in the local post office/shop and she was told that there was a registered letter there for Daragh Curley," he said.

"She was wondering who would be sending Daragh a registered letter, but when she mentioned it to Daragh he said 'oh it's Jurgen Klopp'.

"And it actually was Jurgen Klopp."

Klopp's Liverpool are on course to win the Premier League and have not lost a league fixture so far this season.

In his letter to Daragh, he said: "Unfortunately, on this occasion I cannot grant your request, not through choice anyway.

"As much as you want Liverpool to lose it is my job to do everything that I can to help Liverpool to win as there are millions of people around the world who want that to happen, so I really do not want to let them down."

"Luckily for you, we have lost games in the past and we will lose games in the future because that is football.

"The problem is when you are 10 years old you think that things will always be as they are now but if there is one thing I can tell you as 52 years old it is that this most definitely isn't the case."

He added that Manchester United were lucky to have Daragh as a fan and praised his passion for football and for his club.

Mr Curley said that Klopp "seems to be an awful, awful decent individual".

"I would be a Man Utd fan myself, it's grating that Liverpool are doing so well, but behind it all you have to respect Klopp and what he's done," Mr Curley said.

"He came across as a nice guy all along, I suppose this letter really confirms to me that he is a decent, decent guy.

"What I love about the letter is that it's about sportsmanship and respect too and I think saying that to a 10-year-old is great."

However, Mr Curley said his admiration for Klopp would not cause either himself or Daragh to switch their allegiances.

"There's reinforcement techniques ongoing just to ensure that there's no swaying from the Man Utd mandate," he said.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-northern-ireland-foyle-west-51580401

#631586 - 21/02/20 01:01 PM Re: Klopp tells young Man Utd fan 'I can't make Liverpool lose' [Re: Pickles]
Stanley Park Online   crying
Liverpool Legend

Loc: Not the EU
Seen that on the BBC news this morning lovely story

#631587 - 21/02/20 01:29 PM Re: Klopp tells young Man Utd fan 'I can't make Liverpool lose' [Re: Pickles]
ecnirp98 Online   content
1st Team Squad

Loc: Madchester
It's cool, saw it on the BBC as well, you can see Klopp wrote it as well, explaining the rivalry and why he had to do what was best for Liverpool fans!

I wonder what he wrote to Ole smile

#631588 - 21/02/20 01:31 PM Re: Klopp tells young Man Utd fan 'I can't make Liverpool lose' [Re: Pickles]
TheMightyLFC Offline
Under 23 Player

You're going soft Stanley whistle

'We should have made a signing or two in the last couple of transfer windows.' Vish

#631601 - 21/02/20 08:22 PM Re: Klopp tells young Man Utd fan 'I can't make Liverpool lose' [Re: Pickles]
wilkij1975 Online   content
Liverpool Legend

Loc: Northamptonshire
Good stuff from Klopp for the reply. But that little lad can wind his neck in. I bet if he was around in utd’s hey day he wouldn’t be writing to bacon face to ask him to lose.

#631603 - 21/02/20 08:41 PM Re: Klopp tells young Man Utd fan 'I can't make Liverpool lose' [Re: wilkij1975]
AccaBoosty Online   content
Under 23 Player

Originally Posted By wilkij1975
Good stuff from Klopp for the reply. But that little lad can wind his neck in. I bet if he was around in utd’s hey day he wouldn’t be writing to bacon face to ask him to lose.

No because he is a United fan.
Anyway I don't think anyone would get anywhere fast starting a letter Dear Mr. Baconface

#631605 - 21/02/20 09:13 PM Re: Klopp tells young Man Utd fan 'I can't make Liverpool lose' [Re: Pickles]
Pickles Online   happy
Under 23 Player

Invite the Kid's Dad for a tour of the stadium and when he turns up make sure the gates are locked!

#631606 - 21/02/20 10:00 PM Re: Klopp tells young Man Utd fan 'I can't make Liverpool lose' [Re: AccaBoosty]
wilkij1975 Online   content
Liverpool Legend

Loc: Northamptonshire
Originally Posted By AccaBoosty
Originally Posted By wilkij1975

No because he is a United fan.
Anyway I don't think anyone would get anywhere fast starting a letter Dear Mr. Baconface

Maybe dear Mr. Whiskey Nose would’ve worked?

Moderator:  KopTalk Team 
Shout Box

Advertisements

Liverpool FC Discussion
Liverpool place some non-playing staff on furlough
by wilkij1975
Today at 11:44 AM
Rank these in order
by Stanley Park
Today at 09:52 AM
Should Players Take a Pay Cut?
by ecnirp98